Code of Conduct

Default Went on a sampling binge!

So before deciding on my first fragrance purchase, I went on a sampling binge of the following fragrances. Previously I had sampled Sycomore and loved it but decided life is too short, might as well try more fragrances before committing!

3ml Spray of the following:
    Chanel 31 Rue Cambon
    Chanel Coromandel
    Chanel Sycomore

1ml Dab:
    Frederic Malle French Lover
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    Frederic Malle Portrait of a Lady
    Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver

0.5ml Dab:
    Clive Christian X for Men
    Parfums MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Puredistance M Extrait
    Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or Oud

All the 1ml and 0.5ml fragrances will be decanted into a 1.5ml atomizer for spraying as I expect myself to use this form of application if I do get a full bottle. Furthermore they will be marked with numbers and covered up. so effectively I will be testing all these fragrances blind (except for Sycomore which I had already tested before).

All these efforts to look for a fragrance I truly love though I do pray my nose will not lead me into trysts with any of those fragrances under the 0.5ml category
    Now to wait for them to arrive!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Went on a sampling binge!

Do share your impressions!

Sounds like a plan!

piscicida - 1 to choose from this many? This is like how Moses is made to choose any # of women from the Arab's harem in 10 Commandments (movie) & he chooses just 1 - my answer, as was the answer told by the old guy in 10 Commandments to Moses - its uncivilized to choose just 1...

I own FB's of 8 of the 12 from u'r list and now thinking of getting the other 4 in the near future...
    Last edited by badarun; 15th February 2013 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    piscicida - 1 to choose from this many? This is like how Moses is made to choose any # of women from the Arab's harem in 10 Commandments (movie) & he chooses just 1 - my answer, as was the answer told by the old guy in 10 Commandments to Moses - its uncivilized to choose just 1...

I own FB's of 8 of the 12 from u'r list and now thinking of getting the other 4 in the near future...
    Holy! I know it's uncivilized to choose just 1 but my wallet cannot take the abuse sadly I'm looking to start with one from the list and slowly build up my collection if possible! I'm pretty sure it will increase.

Make that damn sure.

Should be really interesting to see how this turns out. I think you'll end up going with Invasion Barbare or Sycomore.

Blind sampling is a GREAT way to test fragrances, as it really helps to eliminate any biases going in, and it's tons of fun.

I did a blind sampling tournament this year and last year. Here's a link to this year's if you're interested: Blind Sampling Tournament

I hope you keep this post updated with your impressions and let us know who wins!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Welcome to Basenotes! Great selection btw. Let's see which turns into a full bottle purchase.

You have dived into my favorite sub-section of this obsessive hobby, sampling! You have chosen some fantastic fragrances to sample as well. The only ones from your list that I have yet to smell are the Mona di'Orio's and I look forward to trying them in the near future.

Do please come back and share your thoughts. I would be very interested to hear your impressions on such high quality compositions. Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Should be really interesting to see how this turns out. I think you'll end up going with Invasion Barbare or Sycomore.

Blind sampling is a GREAT way to test fragrances, as it really helps to eliminate any biases going in, and it's tons of fun.

I did a blind sampling tournament this year and last year. Here's a link to this year's if you're interested: Blind Sampling Tournament

I hope you keep this post updated with your impressions and let us know who wins!

Wow Buysblind that is some awesome experiment indeed! I will try my best to post my impressions of the fragrances.
    I'm a complete newbie with ZERO knowledge of top/middle/base notes though. My only associated smell of Vetiver is Sycomore Heck the only fragrance in my whole house is my brother's "Salvatore Ferragamo Pour Incanto Homme".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    You have dived into my favorite sub-section of this obsessive hobby, sampling! You have chosen some fantastic fragrances to sample as well. The only ones from your list that I have yet to smell are the Mona di'Orio's and I look forward to trying them in the near future.

Do please come back and share your thoughts. I would be very interested to hear your impressions on such high quality compositions. Welcome!
    I definitely will come back with my impressions! I really curious as to Mona di'Orio's line as well, from the reviews I read so far they seem pretty good. Should have included more offerings so I know what the different notes smells like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes! Great selection btw. Let's see which turns into a full bottle purchase.
    Thank you Diamondflame! Found a fellow countryman in here From all the descriptions I read, I have a feeling it might be Invasion Barbare. Bad for my wallet though
    Last edited by piscicida; 17th February 2013 at 12:46 PM.

Sound Scents

Agree with others that said your choices are all good ones with many masterpieces on the list. I obviously like some better than others but there is not a dud on there, IMO. Pretty much whichever one you choose will be a great scent for sure.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Lots of heavy-hitters on your list. I think Coromandel is a good one for everyday use, and Puredistance M for nights.

Wow...This should be REALLY interesting since you said you're a "complete newbie." Going from having tried few fragrances to the ones on your list....I think you'll find many of them almost shocking in some ways!

I'll be reading with interest.

Wonderful selection, congrats for the exquisite fragrance choices.

Great list! Once the Portrait of a Lady pop, the fun don't stop.

Your list is lovely, but I don't see how you'll be able to choose only one!

I hope to be able to post my impressions on this thread......IF my perfume samples make it pass USPS and to me. Judging from all the paranoia recently on shipping perfumes overseas, I fear for the worst

Ive only sampled 3 on your list but I've already gone and bought one of them. LOL.

Good selections.

My samples have arrived!! It's a partial sample though, the package lacks Puredistance M, Sycomore, Clive Christian X for men and Invasion Barbare. Oh well it's alright! After spending almost half an hour carefully decanting my 1ml samples into atomizers and labelling them by numbers 1-6, it's time to begin. 31RC and Coromandel will be tested un-blind since it came in 3ml atomizers.
    I will be testing 1 fragrance a day, so this thread will be continuously updated

Do note that I'm a complete newbie here, so I can't differentiate between any notes I think. So I will try to relate to common food, items or situations etc.

Fragrance No.1
    1 spray on inside of elbow.
    The opening notes to be honest smells a bit like any other perfume to me. A big jumble which I'm not able to really decipher given my experience. Abit like citrusy lavender. Astringent I will say. But I can detect incense beneath the opening notes so I guess that this is what is anchoring the whole fragrance.
    As it develops I can detect notes that instantly reminds me of.............whisky. Sweet, oaky, whisky. Namely the Glenlivet 15 in my room And a hint of spices, pepper I think. Very slight hint and fleeting. However that incense base is always lingering around, sandalwood perhaps? The drydown is where it gets pretty interesting. As I take a whiff, the immediate impression is that of incense, but after maybe 2 seconds it transits into a flower-like fragrance with honey. Very nice!
    Projection I would say is minimal, but might be due to olfactory fatigue since I keep sniffing the area every 30secs~ Longevity no idea yet. Can still smell it now after 1hr+.

If I will dare venture a guess: After testing Spray 2, maybe this is not VE after all. Need more tests!

Next test coming up soon!!
    Last edited by piscicida; 3rd March 2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: change of views