Code of Conduct

Default received my rive gauche pour homme today. my opinion

SIMILARITIES WITH AZARRO:

just on the first minute, then it turn away from it, going to a more soapy and talc vibe.

GRANPA OR DADDY COLOGNE?

yes, it have an old vibe, my girlfriend agreed, BUT, a very good old vibe cologne which bring a charm to men only, not boys. ( mental age above 25 ).

COMPLIMENTS: just from my girlfriend til now, I received it today 3 hs ago.

SPRAYS: hot days on day= 1 spray on the chest.
    hot days on night= 2 sprays on the chest.

if anything new happen about this scent, I will post.

I M SO HAPPY

Default Re: received my rive gauche pour homme today. my opinion

Can't blame you for feeling happy. This stuff rocks!!!!

Good scent, but not very good longevity on me.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

OOPS i FORGOT: thank u indie lol

One of the TOP and best less expensive scents out there.

Received mine yesterday. Have only tried it once so far and definitely enjoyed it. At the moment I'm saving it for warmer weather.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

Rive gauche is a true classic, a wonderful scent. Congrats.

Received my bottle as well this week. And I agree, it's a manly scent and not for boys. It also lasts 12+ hours on my skin in the cold weather.

im still a boy (18y/o) and i still pull it off!

Very nice, congrats!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Classic fragrance.

Just curious to know if you have the older bottle / formula (tall skinny tin can) or the newer cubic box shape Rive Gauche ?

Paul P, got the tin can.

Classic straight out of the barbershop smell. Shaving cream vibe. Great scent.

I guess I am the only one who cant stand this stuff. I cant even sell this, I will have to wait to tin cans to disappear before I try and sell again.

Worst in my collectio.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    I guess I am the only one who cant stand this stuff. I cant even sell this, I will have to wait to tin cans to disappear before I try and sell again.

Worst in my collectio.
    Heathen!!!

Lol

Worst in my collectio.
    I'm with you brother! I have only tried it on paper but I didn't like it at all. I would like to try it on skin before writing it off.

Basenotes Member

Lol does it smell bad to you? I find it to hard to believe that some people can't stand it . It seems like such a likeable scent. Oh well, different noses

I really enjoy RG.

Wonderful all-rounder, smelling fresh, soapy, crisp, clean while still remaining fashionably and maturely elegant.

Worst in my collectio.
    You're not the only one. I ordered a sample a few years back after reading all the hype, and I hate the stuff. To me, it's just way too dated and mature. It smells exactly like something my grandfather would've worn (and I'm in my early 40s). I just can't imagine this getting very many compliments from any younger or even middle aged women. Also I don't get the shaving cream comparisons either. Granted, I've never went to an old school barbershop, but this certainly doesn't resemble Barbasol or any other shaving cream I've ever purchased. I'm glad many here like it, but it's not for me, and I still have a 2ml sample from two years ago that I haven't even finished.

I blind bought it at a Walmart the other night at a bargain basement price. I wore it yesterday for casual Friday at my work. I really enjoyed it but longevity was not great for me. I ended up reapplying it every 4 or so hours throughout the day and night. It's a good work scent for me and as a bonus, love the tin. Lol.

I didn't like it as well the first time I tested it on my skin; my sample sat in my drawer for months. Then, I decided to give it another try -- this time by a full wearing in the office (it takes a man to do this :P) and loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    ...this time by a full wearing in the office (it takes a man to do this :P)
    Lol! Out of curiosity, why do you say this? I found it very safe and about as inoffensive as they come. It didn't even dawn on me that anyone around me would dislike it. Maybe I should reassess. I have it sitting among my most work friendly scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbkr123 View Post
    Lol! Out of curiosity, why do you say this? I found it very safe and about as inoffensive as they come. It didn't even dawn on me that anyone around me would dislike it. Maybe I should reassess. I have it sitting among my most work friendly scents.
    I have forgotten how strong Rive Gauche was, so it was basically a blind wear for me when I wore it for the first time in the office. It was inoffensive mostly, but there was a time in the middle stage, where I thought the patchouli was a little over-powering. So, next time I will do 1/2 (half) sprays instead.

FAB stuff, also the Intense version...which has a denser patchouly vibe.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    I have forgotten how strong Rive Gauche was, so it was basically a blind wear for me when I wore it for the first time in the office. It was inoffensive mostly, but there was a time in the middle stage, where I thought the patchouli was a little over-powering. So, next time I will do 1/2 (half) sprays instead.
    Yeah, I only do a max of 2 sprays. That's enough to get noticed. Anymore than that and you're probably going to choke people out.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

updating.....

im becoming worried about rgph, im loosing confidence with this scent, nor even 1 comment about it,not even from close friends, and today, a co worker entering the room looked to the air-conditioner( next to me) and said that since yesterday(monday- the day i started using rgph) that he is scenting a roach smell.

i thing i m the kind of man that care about what others smell on you.

RG smells clean, like soap, so I'm not clear what the reference to roaches might be (not that I know how roaches smell). Perhaps said coworker has abundant roaches in his bathroom and less familiarity with soap, so he confuses the two.

As for compliments, I've never received compliments myself, and my guess is that most compliments really come only when one douses himself so much that people have to pay attention.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Greyowlgrow View Post
    updating.....

im becoming worried about rgph, im loosing confidence with this scent, nor even 1 comment about it,not even from close friends, and today, a co worker entering the room looked to the air-conditioner( next to me) and said that since yesterday(monday- the day i started using rgph) that he is scenting a roach smell.

Did you spray any on your clothing? It could also be skin chemistry, which would suck because RGPH is a great scent.

Was there a giveaway or sale or something? Why is everyone receiving Rive Gauche? Did you all just happen to order it at teh same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Incontinent View Post
    Was there a giveaway or sale or something? Why is everyone receiving Rive Gauche? Did you all just happen to order it at teh same time?
    It's only 3 people who said they'd just got it.
    I think people are grabbing it now though, as they have stopped making the tin can version.
    I don't think the stuff in the new bottle i as bad as is made out personally.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    I think people are grabbing it now though, as they have stopped making the tin can version.
    Alas it is a lot more expensive, and so the older stuff is being stockpiled by BN members.
    The Yanks are finding bottles of it for around $20-$30 a pop, but even at the relatively high (ha!) price of $42 from FragranceX, it's still a bargain for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyowlgrow View Post
    updating.....

Do YOU like it? Don't assume that the co-worker was talking about you, unless you sprayed 10 times - that would be too much. If you are only wearing it for other people, then it may not be what you need. You'd have to ask the people around you what you should wear. I wear fragrances for myself, so I really like it and don't find it offensive at all. Each person has their own reasons for wearing a fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    I see, thanks for the info! Seemed like a weird coincidence.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rive Gauche

Overall Scent - 3.5/5 (i love the scent, except for the anise, which is a note I naturally dont like)
    Originality - 3.5/5 (original, but not gorund breaking)
    Versatility - 3/5 (better suited for older people, but good any season)
    Projection - 3/5
    Longevity - 4.5/5
    Value - 5/5 (for $40 this is an excellent deal)
    Overall Rating - 3.5/5

nevermind
    Last edited by darren1; 20th February 2013 at 02:43 PM.

I recently swapped mine for a small decant of Creed Royal Oud. Before I swapped it, I bought a bottle of Brut. To me, Brut gives me a similar vibe, but I actually found Brut to be a little bit more pleasant, so I said I could live without Rive Gauche. But truthfully, tho I wanted to love RG, I just didn't. I'm still quite surprised by all the love it gets. I'd like to smell it on someone other than myself. Sometimes you'll grow to appreciate a fragrance because you smell it on someone else and it hits you differently than when you wear it.

well , I have to say, I can only scent the power sillage on rgph on the start , first 10 min. when it get powndery ( 1 hr later) and the scent is amazingly good the sillage stay close on skin on me.
    Yesterday I went to a perfum store and i sprayed my rive gauche on my wrist ( because the atendant couldnt scent the perfum on me) and asked her opinion. She said that it was good light and soft, the top notes were similar to azzaro ( as we know)but very light and better as it goes to a clean scent. that being said brought me a doubt about the sillage of rive gauche and if in hot days, as here in brazil, rgph goes away very fast.

On my to buy list. Pretty cheap so why not.

Worst in my collectio.
    Nope. Not just you. It cracks me up when people call this fresh and things like that. I kniw barbershop scents can be fresh but I look at Clubman as more barbershop. I tried to like it it but all I get is a dated power type scent that is heady and just too much. I guess I'm missing out but I never got this one.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I think it is a great scent. It lasts forever on me. But, it doesn't really fit my style, and it does feel a little old. I ended up selling my bottle. I'll pick up another in the future at some point.
    TOP PICKS
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille Creed Silver Mountain Water Creed Millesime Imperial
    Gucci Pour Homme II YSL La Nuit de L'homme Versace The Dreamer
    Burberry London YSL L'homme L'occitane Eau Des Baux

I wore RGPH in the office yesterday -- 1/2 (half) sprays on each side of my neck, and it was perfect. The first hour with the anise opening could be borderline mature. But, after that I kept getting whiffs and kept wondering, as I walked around the workplace, who smelled good. Then, I realized it was me.

Basenotes Plus

Just tried Rive Guache for the first time. started off pretty strong floral but once into the mid notes it was a delight.

After wearing Giorgio to the office yesterday (mistake), I can definitely see RG at work. Nice resonant almost minty note in there - beautiful.

I also enjoy rive gauche. If your into that type of scent, make sure to try sartorial by penhaligans. A bit more refined and stays with you for a long time. Beautiful fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the tip Jarrod. I realized that the thread was about RG Pour Homme. I looked up my perfumed court order and it's the original RG (not Pour Homme). Love it, but now must try the PH (and of course now Sartorial) :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A masterpiece. Nothing short of it.

There is a common misconception that young guys should wear "young fragrances" and that only older guys should wear old school fragrances.
    I disagree with this philosophy.
    IMHO, it is all about balance.
    If you look adolescent, wearing an insipid, modern calone-code-clone (CCC) may seem "age appropriate", but is it really doing you any favours?
    Alternatively, if you look adolescent but wear a masculine, old school inspired fragrance like RG, you may present an image to the world that your balls have actually dropped.
    If I were 18 again, I would always rock the uber masculine classics and leave the CCCs for my mates (who will all smell the same: ie. boring).

I know, I know... Basenoters will tell you to wear what you like... but the old school has SO MUCH variety, you will definitely find uber masculines that you will love to wear and which will get you noticed in a good way.

My 0.02

This perfume last and last and a modern classic to me. Gg big thumbs up.