Code of Conduct

Thread: If you could

Basenotes Member

Default If you could

If you were able to combine different aspects from niche perfumery to adjust everything except the actual juice inside what would you do?

In a perfect world I would have

Packaging (box) - By Kilian
    Sprayer - Creed
    Bottle - Bond No. 9 (imo)
    Performance - Montale
    Brand heritage - Creed
    Customer Service - Andy Tauer

I'll add a separate category for aptitude in peripheral products (sampler sets, deoderants etc)
    Last edited by phi; 16th February 2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: New

Default Re: If you could

Interesting concept
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by phi View Post
    If you were able to combine different aspects from niche perfumery to adjust everything except the actual juice inside what would you do?

In a perfect world I would have

Packaging (box) - By Kilian
    Sprayer - Creed
    Bottle - Bond No. 9 (imo)
    Performance - Montale
    Brand heritage - Creed
    Customer Service - Andy Tauer

I'll add a separate category for aptitude in peripheral products (sampler sets, deoderants etc)
    A nice conglomerate.

Often, additional longevity for most niche scents, everything else can remain unchanged, but I frequently think it is such a waste that some niche fragrances have such great notes with such short lasting power.

Brand heritage Creed? You believe this royalty bullshit? For heritage I would say Guerlain or maybe Lubin...
    Kilian packaging is fine with me
    Performance Tom Ford
    Sprayer Dior Homme

Quote Originally Posted by DieNase View Post
    Brand heritage Creed? You believe this royalty bullshit? For heritage I would say Guerlain or maybe Lubin...
    Performance Tom Ford
    Sprayer Dior Homme
    The longer I'm on here the more I realize there are a lot of Creed bashers around here. I get the feeling the use of synthetics would make many people happy. In all honesty, I pretty much get the same projection from all fragrances, 4-6 hours after and over all longievity my awake hours. So what if it becomes linear, smell your clothing the next day that's what people smell. I would have a headache if I smelled even my favorite scent at the same level all day. I've been wearing fragrances over 33 years adult life and Aqua Velva after my fake shaves with Dad as a little kid. Creed is not for everybody, just like Amouage is not for me.
    Do you really want to know the greatest fragrance of all time? GUCCI NOBILE! So as far as royalty is concerned, they should all take a bow to Gucci. This stuff was REALLY magic in a bottle.

C

These are strictly IMHO:

Packaging (box) - By Kilian (can't be beat)

Sprayer - Guerlain Atomizer

Bottle - Bond No. 9 / Guerlain Bee / Amouage

Performance - Montale (Can't be beat - longest lasting even on my very dry skin, 2nd will be Amen by TM)

Brand heritage - Guerlain rules with no competition on this one and will rule for a few more centuries, 2nd will be Chanel, 3rd tied betn Dior & Hermes - everyone else distantly behind...

Customer Service - 4 to mention here, all based on my experience only & all equally great in customer service --- Frederic Malle (yes The French - minimal English speaking SA's have done wonders on every one of my orders and throw in more than the asked for samples - I always call to order) /// Naz @ Theperfumeshoppe.com Vancouver /// MinNewYork.com (Alejandro) /// Guerlain's Toronto Boutique (Valerie & all others)

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by DieNase View Post
    Performance Tom Ford
    Sprayer Dior Homme
    I guess this was a bit iffy and maybe I should have explained what I meant a bit more. How much respect you have for a brand or house is manifested in for example

-how much of a big deal is it when they release a new fragrance
    -what have they done in the past to earn respect
    -what do you think about upon hearing or reading the name
    And so on

My initial thought was for Creed but I can definitely see why people would disagree. I wanted to make this thread to see what other people thought
    Last edited by phi; 16th February 2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Typo

Sound Scents

Packaging O'driù
    Sprayer N/A (I would look outside niche and substitute in the superb 212 Men sprayer from Herrera)
    Bottle Mona di Orio
    Performance EdP Frédéric Malle
    Brand Heritage *completely* indifferent/House Loyalty O'driù
    Customer Service Tauer
    Last edited by drseid; 16th February 2013 at 11:23 AM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Blog Entries

You have to be kidding...Sprayer Creed??? They have the cheapest piece of crap sprayers, I have had two bottles which squeaked like a rusty gate every time I pumped them. I had a GIT that the sprayer nozzle kept falling off...and that Royalty B.S. they feed the public...
    I haven't had trouble with any other company's sprayers, so i wouldn't have an opinion on that. I like Mona de Orio's champagne bottle concept... I dislike most Bond no 9's BUT I have had wonderful individualized customer service...I know others who complain about them but I have had good luck...Packaging, Amouge Attars in a laquered wooden box...SWEET!
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Packaging: Kilian
    Sprayer: Creed/Dior
    Bottle: Amouage/Serge Lutens
    Performance: Tom Ford Private Blend
    Heritage: Guerlain
    Customer Service: Hermes/Guerlain

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    You have to be kidding...Sprayer Creed??? They have the cheapest piece of crap sprayers, I have had two bottles which squeaked like a rusty gate every time I pumped them. I had a GIT that the sprayer nozzle kept falling off...and that Royalty B.S. they feed the public...
    I haven't had trouble with any other company's sprayers, so i wouldn't have an opinion on that. I

I've had problems with Bond no. 9 sprayers as well as LDDM.

All of them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    Packaging: Kilian
    Sprayer: Creed/Dior
    Bottle: Amouage/Serge Lutens
    Performance: Tom Ford Private Blend
    Heritage: Guerlain
    Customer Service: Hermes/Guerlain

- - - Updated - - -

I've had problems with Bond no. 9 sprayers as well as LDDM.
    I've only owned one Bn9 bottle, no problems with it, nor with the cute little bon bon sprayers...Back to Creed sprayers, my Aventus bottle won't spray at all unless I hold it straight up and down, even then it squeaks and groans...couple that with the label peeling off and it is horrible quality for such a "great" company...I know there are many others with the same problems, there was a thread about the poor quality of Creed bottles/labels, sprayers awhile back....
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

If I could...

Packaging (box) - Hermès
    Sprayer - The Different Company
    Bottle - The Different Company
    Performance - Serge Lutens (i.e. consistent across the line)
    Brand heritage - Editions de Parfum
    Customer Service - Slumberhouse
    Originality - CB I Hate Perfume

I chose the Different Company's sprayer and bottle because they are superbly engineered. No wobbly cap nonsense here--heavy machined steel parts screw over the glass bottle. Unscrew clockwise to reveal the sprayer or unscrew counter-clockwise to open the entire bottle. Very easy to decant from!

My suggestion: release every scent in Le Labo packaging and bottles...!

Packaging (box) - Histoires De Parfums
    Sprayer - Chanel
    Bottle - Heeley or M. Micallef
    Performance - MDCI Parfums (but doesn't this constitute "the juice inside" ?)
    Brand heritage - I don't care...but if I had to go with one I guess it would be Guerlain
    Customer Service - Slumberhouse

Packaging: by Kilian
    Sprayer: Chanel / Dior
    Bottle: Paco Rabanne (whether it opens like a zippo lighter, or you spray it like a staple gun, they may not be classy, but they work great, and are certainly original).
    Customer Service: Ormonde Jayne / Slumberhouse
    Brand Heritage: So what? But I guess I would go with Creed.
    Performance: Not sure what is meant. Favorite house overall? Creed. Longevity? Bond No. 9.

I disagree with the OP the most on:

Sprayer. That is the only thing I dislike about Creed. All my Creed sprayers grunt like a pig and "misfire" half of the time. Chanel & Dior sprayers are all smooth and consistent each time.

Bottle: I own many Bond No. 9's, and the bottles are usually quite interesting, but the squeaky plastic caps that go on over the sprayer sort of ruin the whole bottle for me. Maybe a metal cap would give the whole thing a much more solid, classy feel. The plastic cap that squeaks when you put it on or take it off ruins it for me.

Ideally, I would love to see a fragrance that is somehow as instantly gratifying as a Creed but as dynamic and complicated as a L'artisan with the incredible dry down of a Tauer. I don't even know if that's possible!

Basenotes Plus

Packaging (box) - Creed.
    Sprayer - Chanel.
    Bottle - Arquiste.
    Performance - Tom Ford.
    Brand heritage - Guerlain.
    Customer Service - Ormonde Jayne.

I actually hate Creed sprayers. I don't need or even want that much juice from a single spray. In fact, I couldn't imagine trying to wear something like Interlude Man if it came with a Creed sprayer.

Bottle: Gucci during the Tom Ford era (Gph, Gph II).
    Performance: Amouage! Or Tauer.
    Sprayer: Tauer? Sure, why not.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Packaging (box) -
    Sprayer - The Different Company
    Bottle - Idole de Lubin for fanciness or Chanel exclusives for utilitarianism
    Performance - Le Labo
    Brand heritage - Serge Lutens + ELdO - they answer to none and compete with none
    Customer Service - indifferent
    Originality - Serge Lutens + CdG of the90s

for swap/sale: