Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sample Pass: Keiko Mecheri (CONUS only)

We're ready to begin our sample pass from this lovely house.

The fragrances:
    Gourmandises
    Scarlett
    Osmanthus
    Taormine
    Oliban
    Ume
    Bois de Santal

participants:

1. FooDog
    2. kalli
    3. cello
    4. Schilling
    5. cacio

Lisa
    Last edited by SaNielsen; 25th February 2013 at 01:12 AM.

Default Re: Sample Pass: Keiko Mecheri (CONUS only)

Nice list.

SaNielsen,
    I'd love to get in line for this, maybe in the middle/end since I'm still wrapping the Aldehyde Pass. I'm not acquainted with any of her perfumes yet.
    I can send you some decanting supplies for the Bois de Santal, if you like, along with anything you'd like from the remnants of the PuPu Platter Pass that we did (Tauer Incense Rose, maybe?).
    Thanks, Schilling

Wonderful! You know I would love a little of that Incense Rose to keep. It was so hard to pass it along to the next person! I did put in an order to Accessories For Fragrance this morning, so decanting supplies are coming. When they get here I can reopen my wardrobe for sampling, too. Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by Schilling View Post
    I can send you some decanting supplies for the Bois de Santal, if you like, along with anything you'd like from the remnants of the PuPu Platter Pass that we did (Tauer Incense Rose, maybe?).
    Thanks, Schilling

I haven't tried much of the line, so that sounds interesting. But, since I am monopolizing the pts, put me in as a backup.

cacio

Not interested in the pass itself -- KM has made just one fragrance that sits well on this skin to date and have tried them all in the pass -- but wanted to say THANKS for organizing it, there are many fans of KM's subtle "kitten paws" style.

Hi, Lisa. I'd be interested in participating, if that's ok. I've been a little intimidated by other sample passes...this sounds like a good "starter".
    "Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it."
    - Bruce Lee

Welcome, FooDog! I just participated in two sample passes as a complete newbie, and everybody was so nice. Lisa

How could anyone pass up kitten paws?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have two sample passes of my own going on and the aldehydics pass coming up, so, would you put me on the last spot?

Thanks Lisa for putting this pass together!

southerngardens
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

How could anyone pass up kitten paws?
    I agree, what a lovely, apt description of these scents by Twolf.

Welcome FooDog, Schilling and southerngardens. Lisa

Not me, it was someone else's expression a few years ago. BTW, for those who wanted to know which one does work for me -- it is her sadly discontinued Mogador.

Quote Originally Posted by SaNielsen View Post
    I just participated in two sample passes as a complete newbie, and everybody was so nice. Lisa
    And I've been meaning to tell you, you did a fantastic job! I really enjoyed your posts!

Leave me off the list, I'm up to my eyeballs with samples and passes right now. Just wanted to thank you for hosting such an interesting pass- and to tell you how much I enjoy your presence here!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Thank you, PerfumedLady, you made my day! Lisa

I haven't sniffed these, I've only sniffed one Keiko, wasn't a fan. Smelled like baby powder and I forget, something that didn't go with baby powder lol. I'd like to try these maybe. Thanks a lot!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Hi, kalli -- I'm glad you'll be trying some more. I don't think any of the samples in the pass are baby-powdery, so you might find a favorite.

In this pass I'm afraid you are all at the mercy of my sample choices -- I tend to shy away from roses, violets, patchouli, and sweet gourmands, though I bet Ms. Mecheri has a nice take on those.

- - - Updated - - -

bump -- still looking for more participants for the pass...anyone?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

BUMP- Still have room for more samplers!
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

Decanting supplies have arrived, so I'm about ready to start the pass. We still have room for more folks if anyone's interested.

Lisa

Hey SaNielsen, I would be up for some KM sampling. I have yet to find one that works, but I have not sniffed any of the ones you are offering except Ume. Would love to join in!

Welcome, cello!

I will be mailing the samples to FooDog very shortly to start the pass. Everyone is welcome to post their impressions (but no pressure). I don't have a good nose for notes, but I enjoy the sense-pictures that fragrances create. Kvetching and sass welcomed!

Of the samples to go around, my favorites are Ume, Scarlet, and Bois de Santal.

Ume has a very different tangy/sour vibe that I find appealing. It reminds me of a college roommate's snacking on salty preserved plums. This is not fresh fruit, but fruit wearing dark glasses.

Scarlet is bright and brisk and happy. A nice wakeup call.

Bois de Santal is my full bottle purchase. I have been craving sandalwood lately, and this is the gentlest, kindliest one I've come across. Some days call for no sharp edges or loudness. For me this is a comfy chair, soft cushions, and a cat on my lap. Lisa

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Due to unforseen circumstances, I won't be able to participate in the sample pass. I am sorry!

southerngardens

We'll miss you, Robbie..hope everything is ok.

queen of the universe

Interested bystander on this one. I had the pleasure of sampling Loukhoum Parfum du Soir in a blind sniff. If it's any indication, this is a house that crafts with jewel-like delicacy. Sniffers, enjoy and report!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Mailing to FooDog tomorrow. Sorry for the delay (work has been so busy). Lisa

Sample box received today! Very exciting. Like Hannukah in March.

I popped open Bois de Santal and sprayed it on before I had even looked through all of the choices. I enjoy sandalwood, tonka and benzoin but have always had difficulty with rose, so I was curious about the combination of notes. I've always been enchanted by the idea of a rose-centered perfume but have not yet found one that works for me. Big florals tend to make me feel headachy.

I really liked the initial spray, which felt fresher than I expected it to. Around 30 minutes in I was only smelling the rose, but now -- about an hour in -- I'm starting to smell the sandalwood again. It's very pleasant and light enough that it's not setting off my "too perfumey" response. It's different from what I usually wear, a nice easy-going expansion of my perfume horizons.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

- Stacey

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I've got Scarlett on now. On my skin, it smells just like Tea for Two, minus the initial smoke. I don't get blood orange, musk or rose....just warm spices. I like it, as I like Tea for Two -- both feel warm and cozy to me, with a touch of the exotic.
    - Bruce Lee

Enjoying your impressions, FooDog. Now I'm going to have to try Tea For Two!

Thanks for the sample impressions FooDog! Yes, Scarlett sounds interesting, as I like Tea for Two but find it too smokey for my taste. But I like the spices.

I tried Ume this evening. I don't think this one is for me. I liked the tangy fruity aspect when I first applied it (the plum, I presume?), but that didn't last long on me. Now it just smells very floral (my as yet untrained nose isn't giving me anything more specific there - sorry), which has historically been a problematic genre for me. I'm glad I only sprayed on a tiny, cautious spritz or I'd probably be fighting a headache right now.

Also, guys -- My apologies that I'm going through these a little slowly. I work in a hospital -- in close, direct contact with patients -- so I can't really experiment with unknown perfumes during my workday. Which means I'm limited to the evenings I'm home and the weekends I'm not on call. I didn't think about that when I signed up. If/when anyone's feeling restless, please let me know and I'll forward the samples whether or not I've gotten through the lot.

- Stacey

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Thanks for the sample impressions FooDog! Yes, Scarlett sounds interesting, as I like Tea for Two but find it too smokey for my taste. But I like the spices.
    Well, then, this might be just perfect for you! I'll be curious to hear what you think when you try it.
    - Bruce Lee

Please take your time with sampling, FooDog. I also work in a mandated "scent-free" workplace, though the customers often come in wearing perfume. Lisa

Yes, FooDog, we have a small group, so please take your time! Completely understand, as I work in a hospital also I usually sample at night, and sometimes you just get busy. No hurry, and enjoy!

Cool Re: Sample Pass: Keiko Mecheri (CONUS only)

FooDog, You're doing great! I enjoy reading your impressions and will pull them up when I get the pass for comparison. That's thoughtful of you to not smoke our your patients, too.

I'm certainly in no rush and don't mind at all that you're taking your time. Some people can sniff, interpret and summarize so quickly (cacio, I'm talking to you), but that's an art/honed skill that I'm far from achieving, if ever.

SaNielsen, I'm especially looking forward to Ume, and learning what fruit wearing dark glasses smells like.
    Last edited by Schilling; 28th March 2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: typo

We fell off the first page, so I'm just sending out a how-are-ya to FooDog.

Be careful with Ume, in my experience it differs from one batch to another. We also had it in one of the Blind Sniffs.

Let's give this another bump. How is it going FooDog? Looking forward to your continued impressions!

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Be careful with Ume, in my experience it differs from one batch to another.
    Is that how we lost FooDog? Ume is that dangerous?

No one is lost! FooDog is fine, just very busy. I've got to go back to the office tonight myself to do paperwork. Phooey!

Hi, everyone! Sorry I've been AWOL. Yes, "busy" would be an understatement. I've been working overtime, hosting in-laws and parents, training for a karate tournament*, having my 11-yr wedding anniversary, and cooking/preparing for family gatherings for both Easter and Passover.

As I told Lisa, I did manage to pull out the sample box and try a couple more over the last two weeks, but got so frantically busy I didn't even remember to pay attention to them until the scent was long gone. I was too distracted, couldn't tell you anything about them...how sad is that??

So I'm thinking it's time to let someone else in on the fun. Kalli -- wanna PM me your address? I should be able to get to the post office after work one day this week.

Thank you all for your patience and understanding! This was a great experience.

- Stacey

* The tournament was last weekend and it ROCKED -- I won two gold medals and my boys (6 yrs old and 8 yrs old) won a gold and silver each. Woo hoo!!!
    - Bruce Lee

Oh, honey, why don't you finish your sampling if you think you will have time!!! No hurries, and we all know how life gets in the way, as it should, of perfume stuff!! Keep them a while longer is my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Oh, honey, why don't you finish your sampling if you think you will have time!!! No hurries, and we all know how life gets in the way, as it should, of perfume stuff!! Keep them a while longer is my vote.
    My vote, too. A karate-choppin' gold medal momma should be able sniff to her heart's desire. Take all the time you need FooDog.
    Last edited by Schilling; 14th April 2013 at 12:48 AM.

Awww....you guys are sweet. Ok, here goes...

Gourmandises: I tried this one out a couple of nights ago, but didn't get to log on to report before bedtime. What I remember is that it smelled sweet/fruity and floral to me. Not at all what I would have expected from the title nor the description. "A different oriental gourmand". ??? Um, Ok. It was so different from what I was anticipating, that it was difficult to switch gears and just take it for what it is. It was pleasant but not particularly striking, and probably not something I would reach for, certainly not when in the mood for a gourmand.

Taormine: I have this one on now. I don't see a description card for this one, but notes listed include petitgrain, bergamot, citron, bitter almond, "aromatic chord" (?), floral notes, leather. At first spray, it felt like a different generation of perfume, like something I would have found on my grandmother's vanity. Difficult for me to distinguish individual notes, but definitely not as fresh as I would have expected from some of the listed notes. Lotsa floral, mostly. Now -- around 15 minutes in -- it's settling down some and I'm starting to get the leather, which I quite like. Curiously, it's also smelling more modern to me now. Will be interesting to see how it develops further.

To be continued ~
    Stacey
    - Bruce Lee

I now have a sample of Soussanne from KM's bespoke collection that I can add to the pass...was thinking to send it to kalli unless foodog wants to try this one also... Let me know. It's a fairly strong floral for KM. Lisa

Lisa, I have a bottle of Attar de Roses & I'd be tickled pink to send a sample to Kalli for the pass. It's quite a stunner & is quickly moving up into my list of favorites. PM me your address & I'll send you a dab too!

Thanks guys. Would like to try those.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SaNielsen View Post
    I now have a sample of Soussanne from KM's bespoke collection that I can add to the pass...was thinking to send it to kalli unless foodog wants to try this one also... Let me know. It's a fairly strong floral for KM. Lisa
    Hi -- Fine by me if you want to send it directly to kalli. I have plenty on my plate sample-wise, and strong florals aren't really my thing.
    - Bruce Lee

I can send you a sample of the Attar de Roses too, Foodog. I didn't mean to bump you out!! It really is gorgeous. PM me your address, OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    I can send you a sample of the Attar de Roses too, Foodog. I didn't mean to bump you out!! It really is gorgeous. PM me your address, OK?
    Yes, ma'am. PM sent.
    - Bruce Lee

foodog, please skip me and send to cello, thanks!
    Last edited by kalli; 13th April 2013 at 08:32 AM.

Oh, Kalli, are we losing you in the pass? Should I still send you the Soussanne or send that to cello?

I'm getting the itch to do another Surrender to Chance order...Somebody stop me!

please send to cello, sorry. hugs.

Extra Keiko sample (Soussanne) mailed to cello to add to the pass.

SaNielsen, you and me both on the STC sample orders. Crazy when I'm so slow with samples. I haven't finished the Oud ones I got, and have only made a dent of about 4 into the Ramon Monegal. I have been watching the other sample passes (like this one) and making notes. My wish list on STC is getting pretty long ;P

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    foodog, please skip me and send to cello, thanks!
    Sure - no problem!

Cello - Wanna PM me your mailing address?
    - Bruce Lee

Dear Twolf has sent me more Keiko scents to try -- I am so grateful for the opportunity to expand my experience with this house. Thank you, Twolf!

Yesterday I snuck on some Ume at work. We are supposed to be scent-free, so I only dabbed enough to snuffle my own wrist. But I'm not addicted, I can stop any time...

Hey guys, I have received the two "extras" to the pass. Will check them out tomorrow!

Tried Attar de Roses this evening...very nice, definitely has more oomph that most of her other fragrances.

It's not in the pass, but oooh I like Tangeri. It has one of the nicest, snuggliest dry-downs I've ever smelled, like baby scalp, completely comforting. Before that, a subtle vetiver blend of some sort. I think it would be devastating on a guy.

Thank you, Genie Jeanie and Twolf for the samples!

Hey, everyone. So I picked a helluva month to try to participate in my first sample pass. I had intended to send the samples along last week -- when I was supposed to have had my first weekdays off work in several months -- but due to a medical scare with my mom, had to fly out of town at a moment's notice and was away for most of the week. (My mom's ok. Well, we don't actually know yet what's going on with her -- she has to follow up with a neurologist -- but it was NOT a stroke, which was the most immediate concern.) (Whew.)

Soooo....I just packed everything up and will be heading to the post office tomorrow morning. In appreciation of everyone's patience and understanding, I've added some other stuff to the box. Completely random assortment of samples + one mini. Please help yourselves if anything strikes your fancy. I hope you find something to enjoy.

- Stacey
    - Bruce Lee

Stacey, it sounds like you've got your priorities straight. There's certainly no reason to feel bad or as if you needed to include any lagniappes, but you're very sweet to have done so.

It's good to hear that your mom didn't suffer a stroke, and that you were able to get away to share your love with her and other family members. Best wishes to her and to you.

(Side note: A couple years ago, a loved one woke up and while driving to work stopped knowing where he was going, what he was doing and how to call anyone. That stroke scare landed us in the hospital for 36 hours for an EEG, MRI, CT, PET scan, labs and observation. It ended with a $26,000 bill and a diagnosis of "Global Amnesia Event". Straight out of a soap opera. No one knows what causes it or whether it will happen again, and that was that. Apparently, the neurologist sees these on an almost-weekly basis. Not that rare for him, but very, very scary when you witness it in someone you love.)

(Side note: A couple years ago, a loved one woke up and while driving to work stopped knowing where he was going, what he was doing and how to call anyone. That stroke scare landed us in the hospital for 36 hours for an EEG, MRI, CT, PET scan, labs and observation. It ended with a $26,000 bill and a diagnosis of "Global Amnesia Event". Straight out of a soap opera. No one knows what causes it or whether it will happen again, and that was that. Apparently, the neurologist sees these on an almost-weekly basis. Not that rare for him, but very, very scary when you witness it in someone you love.)
    Wow!! That's pretty much exactly what happened with my mom. Thankfully, she wasn't driving at the time the amnesia hit. The ER doc's diagnosis was essentially the same: "TGA" (Transient Global Amnesia). Very bizarre. And, yes, very scary.

Thank you for sharing, and for your well wishes.
    - Bruce Lee

I have received the box, and have started to explore the samples. I will get some impressions up soon!

That's good news, cello. Looking forward to hearing what you think.

I'm in the Amouage sample pass -- it could not be more different than this pass. Here's to trying new things! Lisa