Code of Conduct

Default Reconciling differing tastes in a marriage - 24, Faubourg vs. Cashmere Mist

I have very different taste from my husband - if I like it and find it interesting, he calls it "old lady" or "French whorehouse."

For example - I wore 24, Faubourg when it was new as my mother was always shopping at expensive stores and brought me interesting fragrances. Recently I got a sample to see if I still liked it and I did, very much, but my husband says, "Old lady!"

Then I showed him a Cashmere Mist strip from a magazine to see if he is musk anosmic, and I still don't know if he is musk anosmic because he cannot identify any notes, but I did discover that he loves that. Now, I don't reflexively hate vanillas like I used to, but I don't want Cashmere Mist.

Currently the only fragrance that I have that we can agree on is Jean Paul Gaultier Classique EDP. I do like this very much, but you know the urge to try new things always comes back...

I suppose I might be looking for suggestions for gourmands or chypres that don't smell like an old French whore and which will make a good transition from late winter to spring. Once summer comes, I'm excited to wear my Herba Fresca again, but it doesn't smell right when it is snowing outside. No civet, no calone, no incense, no iris - all give me headaches. (I actually really like incense but cannot wear it.)

Also, seeing as we have been married 10 years and have four kids, getting rid of my husband to wear the fragrances I want is not an option.

Default Re: Reconciling differing tastes in a marriage - 24, Faubourg vs. Cashmere Mist

I'm sure you guys will agree on a fragrance sooner or later. Don't want to see you go with that last option...lol

Default Re: Reconciling differing tastes in a marriage - 24, Faubourg vs. Cashmere Mist

Why don't you order a few samples, and spend a nice evening, with wine and candles etc, testing some of the samples? You could make it a sort of romantic/get together/and see what frags he loves sort of evening! You may be surprised...he might just choose something you love as well. In my experience, men sometimes just rush their answers on perfume, just to shut us up! Of course, these are men that are not into fragrances like we are).

I bet with proper, slow training your husband will come around his objection to big, classic perfumes.

Meanwhile, things that pop off my head: Kenzo Flower, light, clean, with some fruit (but not berry). For something warmer, I'd say Bulgari Black, with its striking rubber note: he certainly won't be able to call it "old lady", unless he knows of old ladies who deal in tires.

cacio

My husband is similar - doesn't know notes very well and is very vocal when he doesn't like something (though I don't get French whore comments I do get some frags compared to something I won't share here. Haha.).

My route has been to get samples and wear them without saying anything. If he doesn't like it he'll say so and then I'll not wear that one for awhile and then try it again months later. I just keep trying and eventually , sometimes, he'll like a fragrance or a fragrance note that he used to hate. Since our noses and sense of smell change as we get older I rely heavily on this fact and time proves me right. My SO dislikes amber, detests it, and recently I burned the Ambre candle from Diptyque and he really liked it. He didn't know that there were two fragrance notes in it that he detests. I'm pretty sure ten years ago he would have been gagging.

So just keep trying, rotate, and try again. You CAN train your husband's nose! Science and time are on your side! ; )

And have you ever gone with him to sample fragrances and asked him to find fragrances he likes? To find out what notes he likes?

You must smell like a very nice French Whore! Haha! (I have a family member who used to say the same when they did not like what anyone was wearing. I realized when I was older that there are lots of women out there, in all walks of life, that smell good and bad depending on the sniffer. Wear what you like. I think I smell better as I get older, as my tastes evolve. A good smelling "French" whore. Haha! ; )

Quote Originally Posted by silverdragonfly View Post

My route has been to get samples and wear them without saying anything. If he doesn't like it he'll say so and then I'll not wear that one for awhile and then try it again months later. I just keep trying and eventually , sometimes, he'll like a fragrance or a fragrance note that he used to hate.
    This is great advice. Thank you. I shall do that.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Tell your husband to quit hanging around the 'old ladies' at the French whorehouse.

pebblebeach's advice is wonderful -- togetherness is what matters most, even in selecting a fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Tell your husband to quit hanging around the 'old ladies' at the French whorehouse.
    Right?!

To be fair, his perfume experience is dominated by his mother practically bathing in Red. That stuff drills directly into my brain, inducing migraine and nausea. Also, I have learned that I must spray long before we are to be together - if I spray and then am immediately near him, he hates anything. That opening blast is usually the problem. Also, he hates rose, which does smell even to me like my 84 year old grade school librarian with the ample and comforting bosom - not exactly the image I am going for.

So, I ordered four samples from LuckyScent and shall try them without telling him (Musc Bleu, Jasmine 17, Amaranthine, & The pour un Ete.) I am most interested in Amaranthine because apparently I put in on my "to try" list a long time ago and then forgot about it and found it again today and tried to add it again. If it sounded good to me twice, I am hopeful I will like it.

Bravo! Keep us posted...hopefully he will love one of them)

First things first: please list all fragrances your husband has designated Frech whorehouse. Those go on my "to try" list.

Okay - now to your question: it seems as though he likes powdery / lightly musky:

How about Narciso Rodriquez for her?

And, here's a long shot: if he likes powdery / musky and you like something a little more sophisticated, the new baghari by Robert Piguet (I got mine at Neiman's) might suit both of you.

Let us know what you choose, please!

I wonder if Colette is having a hearty laugh in the afterworld over all this.