Code of Conduct

Thread: Eau du Fier?

Default Eau du Fier?

OK so - I'm new to this site and I pretty much joined for one singular reason: to figure out how to smell like a camp fire.

I've attempted this on my own, but my limited olfactory knowledge has not yielded too much success in tracking down what I would consider to be a true, compelling scent. I've tried Demeter's "Mesquite" but it was a very singular scent with nothing else going on (to be expected) and more importantly, it faded very quickly.

After reading old threads on this site, it seems like Annick Goutal's "Eau du Fier" is (or was) something of a holy grail as far as a smoky scent is concerned. I've since looked for it on Ebay, etc. and since it was discontinued in 2000, it's very rare indeed.

Does anyone know where I could track "Eau du Fier" down or have any suggestions for finding it? It seems some were none to pleased with it, so I was hoping I could turn up even a used bottle -- based on descriptions, it sounds exactly like what I'm after!

Thanks for any and all advice!

Default Re: Eau du Fier?

Eau du Fier is a tough find. In fact, I've only seen it on Ebay occasionally or someone trying to offload it on the Basenotes marketplace. Though, I haven't seen one for sale in years. Not to say one won't pop up, but you might have to be patient for a while.

May I suggest, if you want to smell like a campfire, here's a few suggestions that are more easily available:

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo
    Essences of John Galliano by Diptyque

Encre Noire may be what you are looking for!

I had a bottle of Annick Goutal Eau du Fier a few years back and found it was too cold and harsh to wear for me. It smells like black tar and charred wood but there is also a sweet aspect to it that tries to make it civilized. It is discontinued for a good reason. You can test it from Surrender to Chance at: http://surrendertochance.com/annick-goutal-eau-du-fier/

Some very nice smoke and campfire scented fragrances that are better than this one are:

Profumum Arso - burning tree resin and campfire smell - an outstanding fragrance to wear
    Naomi Goodsir Bois d' Ascece - bold tar, woods, smoke scent - a very good fragrance that is quite bold
    CB I Hate Perfumes Burning Leaves - burning leaves and wood smoke - interesting to smell if this is what you want to smell like
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 16th February 2013 at 06:13 PM.

Fireside Intense by Sonoma Scent Studio is another option.

http://www.sonomascentstudio.com/firesideintense.shtml
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Welcome!

Never tried Eau du fier, and am curious myself.

To the list of perfumes people have mentioned, I second in particular Patchouli 24 (more factory explosion than campfire) and add Tauer Lonestar Memories.

cacio

I personally find Eau du Fier has less to do with a campfire and very much to do with green gunpowder tea. Just like sticking your nose in a caddy of bitter smoked green tea.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Eau de Fier is a wonderful fragrance and lucky that I own a full bottle. Last year one popped upon Ebay and they were asking $275 starting price for 100ml. If you can find one, snatch it up.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I had a bottle of Annick Goutal Eau du Fier a few years back and found it was too cold and harsh to wear for me. It smells like black tar and charred wood but there is also a sweet aspect to it that tries to make it civilized. It is discontinued for a good reason. You can test it from Surrender to Chance at: http://surrendertochance.com/annick-goutal-eau-du-fier/

Some very nice smoke and campfire scented fragrances that are better than this one are:

Profumum Arso - burning tree resin and campfire smell - an outstanding fragrance to wear
    Naomi Goodsir Bois d' Ascece - bold tar, woods, smoke scent - a very good fragrance that is quite bold
    CB I Hate Perfumes Burning Leaves - burning leaves and wood smoke - interesting to smell if this is what you want to smell like
    Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Eau du Fier is a tough find. In fact, I've only seen it on Ebay occasionally or someone trying to offload it on the Basenotes marketplace. Though, I haven't seen one for sale in years. Not to say one won't pop up, but you might have to be patient for a while.

May I suggest, if you want to smell like a campfire, here's a few suggestions that are more easily available:

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo
    Essences of John Galliano by Diptyque
    What they said ^
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Strange, I have never associated camp fire with this one, I love it for the similarities with smoky black tea such as Russian Caravan - have a bottle of this for years and I find the scent rather conforting as I love my tea. I have just made a cup of Russian Caravan and am amazed at how similar it is to Eau de Fier. It is apparently a variety of tea called Lapsang Suchong which is smoked dried and I've read that the inspiration is derived from during camel caravan journeys, the tea took on the taste of smoky campfires - I smell tea, others may smell campfires .....