Code of Conduct

Default Cucumber Aldehyde Vs Violet Leaf absolute Vs Cassie Absolute

http://www.hermitageoils.com/cucumber-aldehyde-947
    http://www.hermitageoils.com/violet-leaf-absolute-643
    http://www.edenbotanicals.com/produc...-absolute.html

I am starting to build a women's fragrance and during my research of ingredients I have noticed that these ingredients seem to add that special quality in women's fragrance? Am I right to believe this assumption? Each of these products also seem to have similar scents? Any advice would be great!!

Thanks

Default Re: Cucumber Aldehyde Vs Violet Leaf absolute Vs Cassie Absolute

All three are green smells. Cucumber Aldehyde (nonadienal) is very strong, and very expensive; and smells like Cucumber. Actually price is unimportant as it is effective at very low concentrations. Violet Leaf Absolute is a natural that smells, to me, of spinach. Also very expensive, and very dark i colour. Using this material will turn your fragrance green. Cassie Absolute smells like Mimosa, and is the weakest of the three.

Personally I don't think thy smell at all alike (other than all being green).

If you think that they add that special quality to your fragrances, then you are right in that assumption. Others may disagree, of course.

Cucumber Aldehyde may be used at 0.1%, or even 0.01%, to give a watery green almost melon note. It is a Middle note, so last quite a while. Violet Absolute, also very strong, is a Base note material that is apparent throughout most of the life of the fragrance. If you want a sharp green effect then it will work well. Cassie Absolute is the weakest of the three; also a Base Note , it adds a soft, green floralicy to your fragrance.

Violet leaf is often added to floral fragrances to give more of a fresh/green/full/natural scent. It's fairly common, most perfumers either use it a lot, or not at all.

A couple of things to add here:
    Cucumber aldehyde is also called violet leaf aldehyde, reflecting it's presence in that absolute. It is also present in the scent of violet flowers, that of carnations and in tiny traces in many other flower scents too.

Violet Leaf and Cassie absolutes are naturals with many components, while cucumber aldehyde is a single molecule: very different beasts. Both naturals will add complexity to a fragrance - that may be a good thing or bad depending on what else is there and what you are seeking - but the aldehyde won't, it's very simple.

Personally I don't use cassie much but I use both of the others frequently and find them both very versatile and different ingredients.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.