Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What's a good, simple EO mix to add Aroma Chemicals to, for testing?

Okay. So I've gotten all these Aroma Chemicals, and I'm super excited to get going. But as it's been pointed out here numerous times a lot of them really don't smell like "much" on their own.

So I'm wondering if anyone has a good, simple 1, 2 or 3 EO combo that would be helpful and consistent to add these to, so I can get the best chance of smelling what these things can do.

I've pretty much gotten everything on Chris' "starter" list. Lots of base notes there

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's a good, simple EO mix to add Aroma Chemicals to, for testing?

Try a good basic Fougere accord of Lavender Oil, Bergamot and Geranium; with perhaps some Oakmoss or Labdanum. Then take it from there.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's a good, simple EO mix to add Aroma Chemicals to, for testing?

I actually started w/ a Leather Key from PA (which I like very much on it's own), and added some EOs. I got something I liked very much… but when I added the chemicals, a lot of them weren't apparent at all when mixed in. In fact, some seemed to "stomp out" the theme I had going. I'm assuming that's because the Leather Key is a mixture of a bunch of Aroma Chemicals itself?

And, looking at the formula, I realize how silly that was:

Okoumal - 5
    Castoreum (G) - 5
    Pharaone 10% @ 10% - 5
    Styrax Essence - 10
    Ebanol - 100
    Hercolyn D - 225
    Safraleine - 500
    Isopropyl Myristate or DPG - 150

But, for the record, I could REALLY smell the Castoreum I added, lol.

PS, thanks for the suggestion David!

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome to use and abuse this formula I'm working on, but bear in mind that I've only been doing this for a few weeks so it needs a lot of work

It also uses more EO's than you've specified.

Musk T 10 (The only musk I have atm)
    ISO E 30 (I'm going to drop that to 15 or lower next time)
    Sandalwood blend (5g generic hippy shop EO plus 10 drops Firmenich Sandalwood 184025H) 50% 11
    Coumarin 10% 2
    Cedramber 1
    Geranium (China) EO 3
    Clary Sage EO 4
    Hedione 20
    Brazillian Berry (schinus terebenthifolius) CO2 extract 10% 4
    Jasmine ABS 10% 15
    Coriander EO 10% 9
    Lemon EO 3 (Perhaps you could use citral or citronellol here?)

Please post any modifications you make - I'm interested - it needs 'em. Anyone else is more than welcome to weigh in with suggestions.

-

- - - Updated - - -

Jeroen Sparla (from here) has some interesting formula.

https://sites.google.com/site/perfumerecipes/home
    Last edited by Skelly; 17th February 2013 at 08:15 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    You're welcome to use and abuse this formula I'm working on, but bear in mind that I've only been doing this for a few weeks so it needs a lot of work

It also uses more EO's than you've specified.

Musk T 10 (The only musk I have atm)
    ISO E 30 (I'm going to drop that to 15 or lower next time)
    Sandalwood blend (5g generic hippy shop EO plus 10 drops Firmenich Sandalwood 184025H) 50% 11
    Coumarin 10% 2
    Cedramber 1
    Geranium (China) EO 3
    Clary Sage EO 4
    Hedione 20
    Brazillian Berry (schinus terebenthifolius) CO2 extract 10% 4
    Jasmine ABS 10% 15
    Coriander EO 10% 9
    Lemon EO 3 (Perhaps you could use citral or citronellol here?)

Please post any modifications you make - I'm interested - it needs 'em. Anyone else is more than welcome to weigh in with suggestions.

-

- - - Updated - - -

Jeroen Sparla (from here) has some interesting formula.

https://sites.google.com/site/perfumerecipes/home
    Your formula looks like a good basis. I would look at adding at least one, preferably two or extra musks. If you have no ambitions to sell then Musk Ketone would be lovely with the Jasmine and a trace of Ambrettolide would enhance it a lot too. If you do want to sell I'd replace the Musk Ketone with either Exaltolide or Muscone all of which work well with Ethylene brassylate (Musk T).

I think you could really do with an ambergris replacer in there, but if you don't have any try increasing the cedramber by quite a lot, possibly dropping down the sandalwood a bit so that it doesn't go too woody: it's quite good for increasing diffusion.

Another thing you might try is adding a little petitgrain to help marry the top and base notes. Speaking of top notes, it's a bit light on them and phenyl ethyl alcohol and geranyl acetate might help brighten it, as would a little floralozone.

With the lemon, you could replace (or more likely add to) with citral, which would last better but be harsher. If you don't have citral then Lemongrass or May Chang (Litsea cubeba) are both mostly citral and would work too. Citronellol however isn't citrusy, despite the name, it's more rose so isn't a potential replacement.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris, I really appreciate your hints and tips. I've read your musks blog, and those - along with ambergris or a chem replacement - are almost certainly the thing that's been missing from my attempts.

-