Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Your opinion of Montale's Dark Aoud?

I'm new to oud frags and, to be honest, I find Montale's offerings very strong and rather unpleasant. However, I decided to try a sample of Dark Aoud and, after letting it dry down, I quite like it. I wondered what your view is of this fragrance, and how closely it resembles genuine oud?

Default Re: Your opinion of Montale's Dark Aoud?

Nice frag IMO.

One of the best Montale's - wait for the harshness pass and for the dry down, u will appreciate this more...Its a longevity beast.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Dark Aoud is
    Dry as Bones
    Dark as the Moonless Night
    Deep as the Abyss

One of Montale's Masterpiece & last for eternity.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Own it and love it.

My SotD! I too own it and love it. One of the best Montale oud frags imo.

It's still very nice, an hour or two in. But it's faded really quickly! I thought it would have monstrous longevity. Lovely and rich, though. Wish I could find somewhere that sells it cheap here in the UK.

Blog Entries

my favorite oud...dark astringent, lasts for 10hrs.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

I have 50ml comeing in a week from luckysent. Total blind buy but thats ok i like most fragrences .

Quote Originally Posted by Fragmeister View Post
    It's still very nice, an hour or two in. But it's faded really quickly! I thought it would have monstrous longevity. Lovely and rich, though. Wish I could find somewhere that sells it cheap here in the UK.
    Getting it directly from Montale is normally the best bet. EUR100 (around £85) and you get free Extra 20ml and also free extra concentration.

I have 4 from Montale and I enjoy them all very much, Black Aoud being my favorite.

Should I go for Dark Aoud?

Basenotes Plus

Wonderful fragrance. I always get kind of a Comet cleanser vibe from it but in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Getting it directly from Montale is normally the best bet. EUR100 (around £85) and you get free Extra 20ml and also free extra concentration.

I have 4 from Montale and I enjoy them all very much, Black Aoud being my favorite.

Thanks for the info!

I just can't get over how beautiful Black Aoud actually is. And TF Noir de Noir. Sexy as hell both of these.

Dark Aoud and Black Aoud are standouts in my mind. I may like the sandalwood in DA a bit more but BA lasts a lot longer for me. A toss up cor my favorite Montale.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Astounding. Sexual. Beautiful. Dark. Intense. Sexual. Frightening. Devilish. Magnetic. Masculine. Sexual. Overpowering. Lingering. Breathtaking. Unsettling. Gorgeous. Penetrating. Alluring. Animalistic. Dizzying. Irresistible. Terrifying.

It's the spiritual odour of New York's infamous Mineshaft, circa 1980--a venue where any cologne (save amyl nitrate) was absolutely verboten! I can't smell it without feeling the "urge to merge". Use sparingly...or not! Wonderful juice, truly spectacular, and about as subtle as a hammer to the head. Not for the timid.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post

Dark aoud is amazing,on my skin it lasts longer than black aoud and projects much better.I believe it's cheaper to order it from allavioletta.tom if you spend over 150 euros delivery is free,while montale will charge you 18 euros,plus they're always 5-10 euros cheaper than ordering it direct from montale.I ordered full incense from montale Paris last week and received it today,I asked for extra perfume oil but they sent it in normal concentration(which I already have).

First time I wore it I thought it faded fast...but I was wrong. Later wearings worked perfectly with great longevity and sillage.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by impdaddee View Post
    ...It's the spiritual odour of New York's infamous Mineshaft, circa 1980--a venue where any cologne (save amyl nitrate) was absolutely verboten! I can't smell it without feeling the "urge to merge". Use sparingly...or not! Wonderful juice, truly spectacular, and about as subtle as a hammer to the head. Not for the timid.
    Wow. Interesting description.

I am ashamed to admit (as a long time fan of Black Aoud) that I've never smelled Dark Aoud.

How would you all compare it to Aoud Cuir d'Arabie?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Overcome By Fumes

Mating agarwood and sandalwood is brilliant.

Agree with others here: this one is thick, dry, resinous, dark, and very robust. It's also surprisingly easy to like, given all that. I have a 10ml decant and given its potency, I think that'll last me a very long time!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

I am ashamed to admit (as a long time fan of Black Aoud) that I've never smelled Dark Aoud.

Hi, Mike. Dark Aoud's very dry, aromatic, inky, resinous, modern black-colored nature keeps it pretty far from Aoud Cuir d'Arabie territory, which for me has that rich, leathery, sort of fecal barnyard mixed with deep red rose (I realize this is not in the note list though that's my story and I'm sticking to it) character that makes me think of regal, luxurious colors like gold, brown and deep red. It's worth a sniff for sure, though I'd choose Black Musk over it in a split second. Incidentally, after smelling rich fragrances like Santal 33 or something like SL Santal de Mysore, one wonders where in the world the sandalwood is in the stark, almost outer space-like Dark Aoud. It is in a fragrance world of its own in a way.
    Last edited by nthny; 19th February 2013 at 06:29 AM.

The only Montale I've tried and I like it.

That back and forth between the oud and sandalwood fascinates me.

I haven't got the foggiest notion, as I haven't smelled Aoud Cuir d'Arabie. It's on my test list...just haven't gotten to it yet. I shall advance it up the queue, as your question reveals some of your thoughts about it.

(I love Black Aoud too, but can't think of a single venue I'd wear it in. It goes unpurchased, but I sometimes bring the sample out when no one's around. My pleasure alone.)

Recently purchased a 100ml bottle.

Seems very dark and bitter at first like a rich chocolate oud. After wearing it for a few days you begin to realize how sweet it gets on the dry down. Not a cloying sweet but more semi sweet woods.

I am happy with my purchase but still have doubts about whether this is a scent to be worn as a fragrance or an apartment scent.

If I had the chance to swap it in for credit towards a more versatile Amouage I would.

Longevity and Sillage are good but not a beast on me.

is layering TF noir de noir with dark aoud appropriate?

Just put some on. The first few seconds tickled the right places, now it's very nice, somewhat medicinal/chemical. Wouldn't call it all that dark so far (but then I found Rien a sweet, incense scent mainly, maybe my nose doesn't work lol). Actually it may get a little darker as I type. Not bad at all. Just wish I had a spray sample not a dab on.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 20th February 2013 at 04:48 PM.

Together with Aoud Cuir D'Arabie, Dark Aoud is one of my favorites from Montale. I find it very distant from original ouds oil but it's good nonetheless if you're into stark and extremely dry fragrances.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

smells like a sexy louie vaton wallet . Nuff said i like it .

- - - Updated - - -

Well i feel i have to break thru the hype for a sec and recant my last post . It is kinda a weird smelling fragrence that is kinda a hard ware for me . Not a every day fragrence and i regret getting a full bottle of it. I still do like it but i dont see this getting the likes from the ladies. I fragrence fanatic will love this but its not for me. I engoy fresh outgoing fragrences more in youthfull sence. This stuff is kinda stank. Peppie le pue will love this stuff. Dont listen to the hype try before you buy this one.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodhound.md View Post
    smells like a sexy louie vaton wallet . Nuff said i like it .

- - - Updated - - -

Well i feel i have to break thru the hype for a sec and recant my last post . It is kinda a weird smelling fragrence that is kinda a hard ware for me . Not a every day fragrence and i regret getting a full bottle of it. I still do like it but i dont see this getting the likes from the ladies. I fragrence fanatic will love this but its not for me. I engoy fresh outgoing fragrences more in youthfull sence. This stuff is kinda stank. Peppie le pue will love this stuff. Dont listen to the hype try before you buy this one.

I've been back and forth with this thing. At the moment I am really loving it again. It went from this "weird" dark fragrance to this really sweet woods fragrance that is addicting.

Put it down and come back to it in a few days.

I know what you mean though. Great smell but what shoes go with it...right ? LOL

My perspective on Dark Aoud has shifted a bit after trying out Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud on skin yesterday. Basically, the AdP reminded me a lot of the Montale, albeit a more-refined, quiet composition. The oud note was very similar, and in both cases it's set off against dry woods. Because I already have a decant of Dark Aoud, I'm not as tempted by the AdP as I would be, though there's a richness and sweetness in the opening (and warmed-skin moments) of the AdP that I prefer. Since trying the AdP, I see Dark Aoud as a bit rough and rowdy, certainly more baldly synthetic, and trickier to pull off. I still like it, but less is more for me.

Muhhhhhhhh what tha everyone likes this stuff on me and now im leaning back.towards the leather wallet with spice smell. I feel tottally stupid now theirs no hype this is a really amazing juice that you will have a love hate relationship with. Its like that bad girlfriend the really wild one that you break up with dump then after you dump you realize how hot she was . It finally grew on me and come to find out the women i let smell bought 2 bottles for their men . You owe me montale!!!:-P

Basenotes Plus

Dark Aoud reaches out and touches yet another heart.

my SOTD

Anyone selling a decant?

- - - Updated - - -

How does it compare with Black Aoud?

Last edited by lpp; 30th March 2013 at 03:05 PM.

I got a sample of this based on a recommendation from a friend here. Awful stuff. Very antiseptic, or something like that. Maybe like a bandaid with a bunch of antiseptic daubed under it on a wound. Really. My wife and one daughter (late teens) also thought it was the worst of several samples I got.
    So I guess there's something about this frag that we're not getting.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Oh its there. Everybody else can smell it. Get your nose out of your wrist and you will be sniffing it all day.

Gorgeous dark dark dark fragrance. Especially if you like sandalwood.

I love Dark Aoud and wear it most days either by itself or layered with Black Aoud. Personally I don't find either very "dark" or unwearable, it's completely addictive stuff. I find that people either love or hate montale generally.

Basenotes Plus

Just got a decant of it and have been trying it on today.

It is bone dry, and the first 15-20 minutes are reminiscent of a strong machine oil, then it settles down to mostly just sandalwood. Pretty simple and straightforward.

I read a lot of reviews proclaiming "nuclear silage, projection and longevity", alas on my skin after the initial 15-20 minutes it is just skin scent. What's worse is that it's very very very close to CdG Wonderwood, which I love, but Dark Aoud on me is like 'Wonderwood Sport', very light and fleeting. Love the scent, but at least on me it is a 2-hour very light skin scent, at best.

Is there another Montale I should perhaps try, that may have at least a little more presence? As it stands now, Dark Aoud is not FBW for me - Wonderwood is about 3 times stronger and lasts about 2-3 times longer as well.

Nothing exceptional regarding oud or sandalwood. Not dark. A tedious woody thing. Slightly better than average but basically smells like furniture and a little varnish.

Still trying, though. :-)
    Last edited by pluran; 30th April 2013 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Is there another Montale I should perhaps try, that may have at least a little more presence?
    Attar
    Aoud Greedy

I've sampled it and was underwhelmed. The only Montale I've found worth owning is Black Aoud. I've only tried a few though and expect they have some good ones in their huge selection.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    Awful stuff. Very antiseptic, or something like that. Maybe like a bandaid with a bunch of antiseptic daubed under it on a wound.
    So I guess there's something about this frag that we're not getting.
    That and sandalwood pretty much sums it up. I'd be reluctant to recommend it to anyone unless I knew they were into more unusual scents.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    My perspective on Dark Aoud has shifted a bit after trying out Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud on skin yesterday. Basically, the AdP reminded me a lot of the Montale, albeit a more-refined, quiet composition. The oud note was very similar, and in both cases it's set off against dry woods. Because I already have a decant of Dark Aoud, I'm not as tempted by the AdP as I would be, though there's a richness and sweetness in the opening (and warmed-skin moments) of the AdP that I prefer. Since trying the AdP, I see Dark Aoud as a bit rough and rowdy, certainly more baldly synthetic, and trickier to pull off. I still like it, but less is more for me.
    I have a bottle of AdP Colonia Intensa Oud Concentrée and I have to say I love it!! It is head and shoulders above Dark Aoud. It actually projects like a beast, and lasts 12-16 hours (Dark Aoud after 20 minutes is very light skin scent on me and disappears after 2 hours). AdP Oud Concentrée opens up a little strange - oud with very zesty citrus twist, but it evolves into a very nice leathery base in the drydown. Awesome. Not what I expected when I first tried it, but it is great and was definitely a good full bottle buy for me.

Funny story, though... I was on a road trip last month and visited my friends in Phoenix, AZ. Car was all dusty and dirty so I took it to a carwash place where they detailed it and put some air fresheners in the dash on the way out (little plastic clips that fit snugly in the vents). I got in the car and was like "Whoa! The detailing guy must have been wearing AdP Oud Concentrée!" It didn't hit me until a few minutes later when I pulled out one of the clips from the vent and sniffed it. The car smelled like AdP Oud Concentrée not because of the detailing guy - it was the air freshener clips! Now don't laugh, but really - when this thing dries down, the scent is a totally nice and clean leather bomb, sort of "new car smell" - and I mean that in a GOOD way. It may sound odd that a person would want to smell like "new car", but trust me, it's not that plastic-y synthetic vibe, it really is a very nice, realistic leather, very creamy and smooth, yet still refreshing with a splash of citrus. Very odd similarity between the freshener and AdP Oud Concentrée (in the drydown), but it totally works - I can see spraying the interior of my car with Oud Concentrée one day just to get the "new car/new leather" scent. A+++

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Together with Aoud Cuir D'Arabie, Dark Aoud is one of my favorites from Montale. I find it very distant from original ouds oil but it's good nonetheless if you're into stark and extremely dry fragrances.

Totaly agree with this. I am also a fan of Aoud Lime. Black Aoud is good, just not as wearable.

I like the Dark Aoud and might snag a bottle down somewhere down the line.

As a fan of oud frags, I find Montale's Dark Aoud to be harsh and awful. I hate to smell it, much less smell like it.

Much prefer Kilian Pure Oud.

I would say both Black and d'Arabie are a better buy, but since reformulation I wouldn't touch neither. I was blown away but the lime oud basenotes member kindly offered to me and bought a bottle it's 1/4 of the sillage and 5 shades lighter in color, I've got a sample from luckyscent and sample from surrender to chance same juice I bought not even close to lime oud from older batch - get sample first and if you like it - then by all means...
    Last edited by outline; 1st May 2013 at 01:35 PM.

Like it, alas the woman in my life compared it to something along the lines of the smell of a cab driver's bum cleavage.

I love it! It's dark, but not heavy. To me it has an "Eau de Cologne"-vibe.

There are only 2 Montale frags I like: Full Incense and Dark Aoud. I tried Black Aoud and it's wretched. Dark Aoud has a lot of patchouli in it, I think.

Personally I find Dark Aoud slightly boring by itself and it doesn't last as well as other Montales on my skin, therefore I tend to use it layered under Black Aoud or Full Incense and find it works beautifully that way.

Wearing it now, about 2.5 hours in - it smells like oud to me, having sampled some pure oud from Agar Aura. There's the sandalwood note but otherwise it's very close to my nose. I do not think it projects as well as real oud but that may not be a bad thing, as I think it's one of those acquired tastes.

Caveat: I'm not a big oud fan.

Tested a few scents last week while out shoping, and Dark Aoud is the one I kept returning to sniff. Just ordered a bottle, and I hope it doesn't disappoint upon longer wearing!

A while back I posted about my concerns with the amount of juice in my 100ml bottle. Montale's packaging can be so misleading.

However I've been using Dark Aoud daily for 9 weeks now. At times over spraying and I must say this bottle was worth every penny to me. I figure it cost me roughly $20 a week to wear it. Money well spent.

Unfortunately this was an older bottle with a longer lasting juice than the current ( so I've read).

Like a good bottle of champagne when it's gone it's gone. TODAY is that day.

Farewell my dear friend

However I've been using Dark Aoud daily for 9 weeks now.
    Wow, quite the scent to wear as your "signature" for 9 weeks straight. I love this stuff - buying a full bottle soon. I am still a little wary of wearing it to work though.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

It's good but there are other Montales I like better.

Hmmm. Not to revive an older thread but I'm contemplating purchasing this blindly, it would be my first Montale. The descriptions sound super interesting to me. I love oud and sandalwood combinations and additionally I do like dryer fragrances. I thought Wonderwood was just ok and I typically like CdG so that is wavering me a little bit.

Anyone know the cheapest place to find a bottle?
    Last edited by rynegne; 3rd April 2014 at 03:35 AM.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    Wow, quite the scent to wear as your "signature" for 9 weeks straight. I love this stuff - buying a full bottle soon. I am still a little wary of wearing it to work though.
    Ah, how things change in 4 months. Changed my mind and went with Aoud Musk, which I find slightly more wearable; though it's a 4/10 wearable versus 2/10, lol. People around me just hated Dark Aoud unfortunately. In the end though I also became convinced. Dark Aoud was just a bit too astringent and spicy for me. Aoud musk offers a slightly sweeter, intense oud and still maintains the uber-masculinity.

In either case I do not think DA is a safe blind buy even if you like "dry, dark" fragrances...
    Last edited by Jridgen; 3rd April 2014 at 04:03 AM.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman