Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Shipping Perfume

PPPP - Hehe!

MESSAGE TO BRITISH MEMBERS Please, please,please can UK members find out exactly what is going on with the Royal Mail and Parcelforce.
    I have spent 2 hours on the phone trying to establish the rules and everyone I speak to gives me a different answer !!!!!
    I have been told by one employee that 4x 150ml perfume is allowed.
    Another employee told me that within Europe 2 litres is allowed, but the alcohol content may not exceed 70 percent....(which rather knocks perfumes on the head ~ being usually above 70 percent.)
    A third employee told me, no perfume whatsoever.
    What is the true answer ?
    Please can a british member(s) go to their local Post Office, ask to speak to the MANAGER and try and sort out exactly what the new rules are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    If I have understood correctly the things I've read, the various government postal services are not the problem. The various Aviation authorities are also not the problem. The real problem appears to be the Universal Postal Union, that seems to be pushing for this very strongly. The UPU is the worldwide UN "department" that controls the postal services (provided they are signatories to it, and most western countries are signatories). The UPU puts out a directive, and the signatories have to fall in line and obey. That's my understanding.
    I think this is exactly the case.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

I am doing my absolute utmost here David. I have spent days on phones and writing letters.... i have written to the Chairman of RM.... and waiting..... To delivery companies and all sorts....

Promise to report when we have anything concrete. There really is a wall of silence here.
    Currently wearing: Montecristo by Masque

Basenotes Plus

Any Twitter users?
    Sorry, I'm not.
    U can post on their feed under Royal Mail?
    It seems a good way to gain an audience these days.

I was told by Les Senteurs, the 4 bottles, 150mls statement earlier this month.

I had a bottle arrived by Special Delivery(I missed it as I was out), which means before 1 pm delivery. It was a UK company.

Waiting for a bottle of Louve from ebay, but the seller has not posted it yet. I warned her to say it was cosmetics and if pushed liquid foundation.

SpaceNK online again UK company, have been shipping perfume to me since last year. With a yellow sticker. Not by air.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: 28 La Pausa by Chanel

The UK rules were introduced on the 14 Jan 32013. No International sending of flammable substances.

You are allowed to send four bottles per parcel within the UK that are:-
    No more than four bottles within one parcel
    not greater than 150ml
    in their commercial and original retail packets
    secured or cushioned to prevent breakage or leakage
    as a business user only
    with the Haz. mat sticker 1800
    Senders name and return address

On July the 15th 2013, the new rules will be announced for consumers and smaller businesses.

I have written again and asked for clarification. I am awaiting an answer.

Domestic postage details here.

Business notes here.

Hazard sticker ID18000 here.

The answer is they don't seem to have made up their minds before issuing the rules and the domestic customer has no rights at all until they announce something. I am awaiting clarification on this.

Just for interest.....Did you know that there are 143,138 fragrance listings on ebay right now.... and my new (vintage) Chanel, not in any packet or anything other than a padded envelope is very nice, is unbroken, and arrived this morning. I'm going to wear it now....psssssh
    Last edited by mumsy; 22nd February 2013 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    MESSAGE TO BRITISH MEMBERS Please, please,please can UK members find out exactly what is going on with the Royal Mail and Parcelforce.
    I have spent 2 hours on the phone trying to establish the rules and everyone I speak to gives me a different answer !!!!!
    I have been told by one employee that 4x 150ml perfume is allowed.
    Another employee told me that within Europe 2 litres is allowed, but the alcohol content may not exceed 70 percent....(which rather knocks perfumes on the head ~ being usually above 70 percent.)
    A third employee told me, no perfume whatsoever.
    What is the true answer ?
    Please can a british member(s) go to their local Post Office, ask to speak to the MANAGER and try and sort out exactly what the new rules are.
    Sounds about right for British INefficiency
    Ask 100 people the same question, get 450 different answers to the question!!!

Basenotes Plus

@mumsy - Domestic postage leaflet link above refers to contract customers not personal ones.
    aaaaargh - again!

This is a link that Mr.Gee @ R.M. Chairman's Office gave me last week, but it is not clear imo since the July effective date is given a bit too low down to be easily noticed:-
    http://www.royalmail.com/termschanges

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    If I have understood correctly the things I've read, the various government postal services are not the problem. The various Aviation authorities are also not the problem. The real problem appears to be the Universal Postal Union, that seems to be pushing for this very strongly. The UPU is the worldwide UN "department" that controls the postal services (provided they are signatories to it, and most western countries are signatories). The UPU puts out a directive, and the signatories have to fall in line and obey. That's my understanding.
    Agree!

p.s. Definition of desperation - revived Twitter a/c & tweeted Quote:-
    ‏@samojedskaya
    #omnishambles @Royal mail Please can you tell us whether private consumers may send scent if properly packaged now. All being told different
    end quote

They go bed early, might see 2moro!
    Please feel free to join in.

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?...skaya&src=typd
    Last edited by lpp; 23rd February 2013 at 05:07 PM.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

2013 Universal Postal Union rules and regs can be found in this publication:

http://www.upu.int/en/activities/par...st-manual.html
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Cumming by Alan Cumming

Basenotes Plus

Thank you!

Update:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/324...ng-and-selling

Quote from member Craig
    Re: Beware of new postage regs when swapping and selling
    "Royal Mail have told me they do not allow any perfumes out of the UK now. The packages are scanned more than once and if you are lucky the package will be sent to their Belfast Mail Centre, then returned to you, that's assuming customs do not destroy first. They also state you are not allowed to even send fragrances internally from one UK address to another. Not sure how they would know what is in the package if you send it to another UK address, I'm assuming it's scanned again and if they suspect perfume then if it gets destroyed, it's your fault for trying to get around their new regulations.
    Talk about silly. I know many big companies are already looking for new carriers, so it's not good for the people in the UK " ends

Haha, RM lost my tweet.
    Last edited by lpp; 21st February 2013 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by portugal View Post
    myself i have 3 bad news to give regarding lost shippings:

1st shipping from cheapsmells.com (uk store) to Malta. Shipped out on the 25th january and never arrived >( in the meantime they simply cancelled all international shippings of perfumes

2nd feelunique.com - actually it was 2 items: 1 shampoo and 1 spray for her hair - shipped out on the 29th also never arrived

3rd case some perfumes from a seller in the US - item left USA on the 7th and never arrived.... usually would arrive within a week

so basically 3 out of 3 lost packages... hope you can be luckier than me

Just to post some really good news...

the order from feelunique.com arrived and the order from the american seller arrived as well... finally
    just the cheapsmells.com order shipped on the 25th jan is totally missing
    there is still hope out there...

By the way... this american seller she sells an amazing good quality copy of aventus. very good quality price - nicer than fresco ilum dean

Well after these rules came into effect I bought a small 15ml of fragrance it it was posted to me from Italy without any problems. So hopefully all these new regulations don't affect mainland Europe.

Blog Entries

I just bought a 50ml bottle from England...I hesitated to- except the seller guaranteed that if it didn't arrive he would refund my money...so here goes.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

As an update, I got my package from Germany just yesterday!

I phoned the Deutsche Post, (german postal services). They don't seem to have a problem at all with perfumes being sent,even multiples in one packet, but it has to go by land. Costs approx. €9, Germany to France, (up to 2 kilo ~ uninsured)......not a bad price.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

I've been looking into private Hazmat rules and they are pretty comprehensive.

Department of transport site here.

Conference due 4-6 March 2013 here.

Some interesting stats here.

More coming as I find them. Please add links if you do.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't help finding this funny. Considered dangerous goods and we are putting them on our skins.... lol

I expect the RM chairman wears aftershave.......

Okay. Well this morning I received my bottle of Eau d'Italie sent from a UK business by Special Delivery(I said earlier in the thread I was out the day it arrived), nowhere on the box does it say fragrance/perfume. So could be any thing from Musthave.co.uk.

The Louve arrived same royal mail van man, in a padded envelop, lots of bubble wrap and tissue inside that. It was sent normal Royal Mail.

Oh, by the way I live in Belfast. Should I start hanging round the Belfast Central Sorting Office, in the hope I may catch bottles before they are destroyed????
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: 28 La Pausa by Chanel

Blog Entries

Hi everyone! I have been wanting to get involved in this discussion for ages but I've been really busy. So here goes. I have been posting samples and decants, hundreds of them, worldwide, for ages. It's a really important part of my own Basenotes experience, to share, and to talk about the things we share. It is also very important for me to be able to recieve orders and gifts of samples and decants because most of the the lines/fragrances that I'm interested in are not available here.

I popped into the Post Office a few weeks ago to post packages to Italy and USA. I expected to have to fill in a customs label for the US package as we always do, "Cosmetic Samples". This time I was asked specifically if there was perfume in it. I had to be honest and said yes. I was advised that I couldn't post it. I asked what was in the parcel for Italy. I have NEVER been asked that before. The very nice SA explained the new rules. I was so dissappointed. As I said, posting stuff is so important to me, as it is is with lots of us. The SA was as helpful as she could be, accessing her own briefing notes and looking online to see if there was a minimum amount stated (there isn't,so a collection of 1.5ml and 2ml vials is considered dangerous!!). The crux of the new regulations for me is that it is now an OFFENCE to post prohibited items, an offence that you could be prosecuted for.

Remember the problem is with Air Mail. We can still find a carrier who will take items overland. This means that I could still post to mainland Europe (through the tunnel), or to other places by sea I guess, but as people have pointed out, that will probably be far too expensive for individual packages. I'm going to try to look into this.

What a gigantic bummer.

But we must remember that there are businesses dependant on posting fragrance. I mean in these days of e commerce why was this not considered? I agree with mumsy, something will change.

My "good ole' Mum" has just sent me some "good ole' Tetley" tea bags, (UK to France).
    She told me she was asked THREE TIMES ! by the same lady at the post office counter if aerosols were in the package.
    Astonishing ~ fanatical !

I'm awaiting a response to some turbo letter writing so promise to post anything valid.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I'm awaiting a response to some turbo letter writing so promise to post anything valid.
    Thanks Mumsy.
    I would be very interested to know what is involved in having a contract with Royal Mail/ Parcelforce....(ie costs, do you have to run a business to qualify ? etc.)
    It seems, once you have such a contract ~ at least you can send 150ml fragrance per packet. I am not sure if this rule applies just to UK or worldwide land/sea shipping ?
    It's better than nothing....but how much does this contract cost ?

- - - Updated - - -

Just received this.

Hello Sir,

The information I have regarding perfumes to send abroad is that it is totally prohibited for retail customers. On the other hand if you are a contract customer, each bottle’s volume can be no greater than 150ml and there is to be no more than four bottles per package. You also need an Id8000 label on each parcel and the senders name and return address must be displayed on the outside of the package. The contents must be packed securely inside its original retail packaging.

Many Thanks

Ben Tonbridge LD Admin

This mail came from the Royal Mail. It's not bad at all. You can actually ship 4 x 150ml bottles overseas in one parcel/package.
    But what do you have to have to qualify for a "contract customer" with Royal Mail and how much does it cost per year ???
    Last edited by david; 22nd February 2013 at 12:33 PM.

Blog Entries

I wondered about this too. Does being a contract customer mean that it is possible to get some kind of license? Could an individual get one. How much does it cost? Sorry I'm all questions and no answers.

Why the hell can a "contract customer" send things that are considered dangerous if a regular person can't? Is he less than a terrorist than we are all taken for?
    This is ridiculous.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Why the hell can a "contract customer" send things that are considered dangerous if a regular person can't? Is he less than a terrorist than we are all taken for?
    This is ridiculous.
    Completely agree, this is farcical beyond belief!
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

The contract applies to the UK only. I'm fairly sure you have to be registered as a legitimate business. I'm not sure that is so hard to do, but what a pain.

It means the common man cannot currently send a perfume to granny on her birthday by normal post and is a criminal if he does.

I see the leaflet says for contract AND account customers.

Online Business Account is an online service available to all our business contract customers, from your Mailroom Manager to your Marketing Executive, and even the Finance Director.

Note business contract customers.

See here to open an account.

Found leaflet for Contract business here.

Registering a new business with Company House advice here.

And registering your new company tax advice here.

I don't think Companies house will appreciate a few thousand new businesses just to send grannys perfume to her....
    Last edited by mumsy; 22nd February 2013 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Looks like all other countries are joining the Canada bandwagon with rgds to shipping perfumes...Poor us
    I lost an Amouage Gold 2 months back - confiscated and destroyed by Customs, luckily, the shipper agreed to send another and even more luckily, I recvd it without it being confiscated again!!!
    I just made a huge order of Creeds from Fragrancenet.com so I hope everything goes well with my order. Don't want Canada customs confiscating it.

Basenotes Plus

David -not entirely what u asked for, but interesting & worrying:-
    http://www.publications.parliament.u...mbis/84/84.pdf
    and
    http://www.royalmailgroup.com/sites/...l%20Scheme.pdf

Who even reads the 'London Gazette'?
    Just found it - nobody in their right mind would have thought to look there before posting a parcel (but might do in future) & check out the date:-

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu...ry=post-office

Can't find a domestic post one at present, but will post if it turns up.

& never heard of this lot, but will see what they have 2 say next week!
    http://www.consumerfocus.org.uk/poli...n-post-offices

Brits & their tea!
    Last edited by lpp; 23rd February 2013 at 12:07 AM.

God it sounds as though it's getting very bad in the UK...
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    I told the Post Office employee it was "beauty products", she asked "is it perfume?" so I lied through my teeth and said no. That was enough to fool her, but for some reason it didn't fool the X-Ray machine that identified my package as containing prohibited goods on a routine scan.
    Painting: www.johnbiebel.com | Music: www.ichigatsu.com | Recent Writing: Serge Lutens

Basenotes Plus

Trouble is, we have a long history of total incompetence...

My father shipped me a goody box from US to France on Feb. 15th.. It contains 2 pairs of dockers slacks, TF Oud Wood 50ml, Aventus decant 60ml, and TF Tuscan Leather 30ml..

He said that he was GRILLED at the post office, and asked MULTIPLE times whether the contents were flammable/parfum.. He replied no just hygiene products, the lady made him say exactly what products, and he lied and said soap.. She replied with "Wow that's some expensive soap"

This is BS, if i don't get my package damn near, $300usd worth of frags and more if you add the slacks, i will be livid.

- - - Updated - - -

My father shipped me a goody box from US to France on Feb. 15th.. It contains 2 pairs of dockers slacks, TF Oud Wood 50ml, Aventus decant 60ml, and TF Tuscan Leather 30ml..

He said that he was GRILLED at the post office, and asked MULTIPLE times whether the contents were flammable/parfum.. He replied no just hygiene products, the lady made him say exactly what products, and he lied and said soap.. She replied with "Wow that's some expensive soap"

This is BS, if i don't get my package damn near, $300usd worth of frags and more if you add the slacks, i will be livid.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention that i shipped from France to US and 1kg box with YSL l'homme and maybe 15 2ml samples.. This was the week of Valentine's day, my father has already received it.