View Poll Results: Which do yo prefer?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zino

19 37.25%
  • Heritage

32 62.75%

Default Zino Davidoff vs. Heritage Guerlain

I have a personal favorite for sure. Since they have quite a bit in common, which one is your favorite? For some this may be as hard as Sophie's Choice - but give it a try.

Default Re: Zino Davidoff vs. Heritage Guerlain

I have both.

I love both.

But, I had to vote for the one that is in my top five - Heritage by Guerlain
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I do like Heritage very much but Zino is such a well blended scent like a perfect tobacco blend.

What in the world!? I just obtained Heritage a couple of weeks ago and have had Zino for 6 months or so. I absolutely see no similarity in them at all at this point. Zino, to my nose, has more in common with Rochas Lui than Heritage. All three fragrances are terriffic, in my opinion, but, at this point, I can't do a vs. between Heritage and Zino.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Hmmm...Heritage tonight, and probably Zino tomorrow night.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by fraddicted View Post
    What in the world!? I just obtained Heritage a couple of weeks ago and have had Zino for 6 months or so. I absolutely see no similarity in them at all at this point. Zino, to my nose, has more in common with Rochas Lui than Heritage. All three fragrances are terriffic, in my opinion, but, at this point, I can't do a vs. between Heritage and Zino.
    They both share nearly all the same top notes and basenotes. The middle notes are a bit different, but they could be brothers. Zino was born in 1986, Heritage in 1992 - hmmm.

Dependent

I have both but I reach for Zino 9 times out of ten. I find it richer and more interesting.

The wonderful patchouly in Heritage's drydown stands out to my nose. I previously owned Zino and liked it. When I first smelled Heritage it kept nagging at me, "WHERE have I smelled this before?"... The two are quite similar but Zino seems more stuffy and formal. Heritage is more versatile IMO.

Advantage: Heritage
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

I love them both, but would have to go with Heritage if forced to choose between the two.

I'm gonna have to experiment. I will wear Heritage tomorrow and Zino on Thurs. and see if I see the resemblance!

Which Heritage EDT or EDP? EDT smells much better /smoother, richer, fuller and more complex/ than EDP to my nose and prefer the EDT over Zino. However, I'd vote for Zino rather than Heritage EDP.
    Btw, I must agree with fraddicted, they're hardly similar.

I think they smell very different. I prefer heritage by a large margin. I like Zino but Heritage is an all time classic for me.

On another note, I too prefer the EDT of heritage, though I like the EDP a lot too.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I find that there's a "Guerlain" thing going on in Zino. It even reminds me of Jicky; the bergamot/lavender opening that comes off as slightly indolic is there. Even though Heritage is much more respectable than the brazen Zino, they share a majority of notes.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 4th December 2007 at 11:27 PM.

I had to go with Zino. Both are wonderful, but I have enough respectable fragrances. Zino, on the other hand, is kinda dirty, sexy. That did it for me.

Never thought of them as similar. I haven't worn Zino in years. I will spray it on tonight!

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Héritage, Héritage, Héritage.
    No contest, mi amigo -- no contest at all.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Cool Re: Zino Davidoff vs. Heritage Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post
    I had to go with Zino. Both are wonderful, but I have enough respectable fragrances. Zino, on the other hand, is kinda dirty, sexy. That did it for me.
    I wish I'd said that!
    Well, I think I said Zino was more romantic and complex.
    Yes, Ruggles is correct. Not only was Zino created first, some of the notes are so similar that I've often wondered why more people do not comment on this.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    Not only was Zino created first, some of the notes are so similar that I've often wondered why more people do not comment on this.
    Cheers,
    Mario
    Perhaps they suffer from the, "The Emperor's New Clothes" syndrome?

Zino Davidoff
    Last edited by pluran; 19th October 2012 at 06:31 AM.

Zino was made by a perfumer to suit someone else's vision, whereas Heritage is the manifestation of the perfumer's own vision. It has a more authentic design and, for that reason, it wins the day for me.

That being said, I wear Zino often (and am wearing it today), because it holds up well against most other fragrances in its own right.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Zino is compelling and worthy, but has that cheaper, milky, LeMale-ishness about it. I also smell some mild laundry detergent in there... dihydromyrcenol?

Heritage EDP is one of the best, most sophisticated and skillfully blended men's fragrances ever made. It exceeds in raw materials, sillage, complex evolution, steady output, extended drydown, etc.
    I wasn't led to believe that we were comparing Heritage EDP to Zino EDT when I voted.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    Zino was made by a perfumer to suit someone else's vision, whereas Heritage is the manifestation of the perfumer's own vision. It has a more authentic design and, for that reason, it wins the day for me.
    a perfumer is a perfumer is a perfumer. Meaning that the end goal is to make something that sells. Hopefully extremely well on all counts.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 5th December 2007 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    a perfumer is a perfumer is a perfumer. Meaning that the end goal is to make something that sells. Hopefully extremely well on all counts.
    That's a debate inherent in any artistic endeavor, and one to which no one has the answer, unfortunately.

Dependent

I agree.

You can vote, ignore, disagree; whatever. Reasons for your choice are certainly encouraged, too.

Dependent

I'm testing both side by side and if it weren't for the way the topnotes are structured I'd swear they came from the same bottle. A valuable lesson and worthy comparison which I doubt that I'd have ever noticed since so much time elapses between my wearing of one or the other.

Basenotes Institution

To me - I really can't see a similarity...which is weird because I trust most of you guys out there and your noses. Very strange...

I kind of hate Zino and I lovelovelove Heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    To me - I really can't see a similarity...which is weird because I trust most of you guys out there and your noses. Very strange...

I kind of hate Zino and I lovelovelove Heritage.
    I feel the same way...i just can't see it!
    Voted for Heritage.

I wasn't led to believe that we were comparing Heritage EDP to Zino EDT when I voted.
    I'd say the same basic things about Heritage EDT as the EDP, though the EDT lacks the steady output and extended drydown of the EDP. The EDT and EDP seem to be same formulation but that's hard to know for a fact.

They share some similar accords but I don't find Heritage and Zino all that similar, esp. after living with them for a long time. One thing's for sure, I've never found Heritage anything like LeMale, and that's not the case with Zino. Heritage is much more refined, and is in many ways a recapitulation of the best attributes of many of the best fragrances from the large house of Guerlain.

Basically, Heritage is luxury, a Rolls Royce, and Zino is a well-restored Lincoln Town Car with a few gaudy extras to compensate, and driven by a pimp with some degree of class.
    Last edited by pluran; 5th December 2007 at 10:28 PM.

Zino and Heritage are two of my favorite scents, and they are both in my very tiny collection of miniatures that I keep at work. So, I've just applied equal amounts of both to the back of both wrists...and

The topnotes are very similar but different all the same. Both have topnotes of prominent bergamot and lavender, but where Zino also has clary sage and florals Heritage has pink peppercorn and coriander; it is a subtle but noticeable difference. The are both about equally sweet, which is to say "not very," and Zino has the edge in projection at this point.

20 minutes later... Zino and Heritage are drawing even a bit closer, the primary difference being the floral components in Zino.

120 minutes later...faultless, beautiful basenotes from both! They are as similar as they've ever been at this point. I really love both of them. However, Zino was the first to stake out this area among the two, and it also has its intriguing floral heart that is slightly more interesting than the spicy heart of Heritage. Thus, my nod goes to that great 'ol man, Zino Davidoff!

I'd say the same basic things about Heritage EDT as the EDP, though the EDT lacks the steady output and extended drydown of the EDP. The EDT and EDP seem to be same formulation but that's hard to know for a fact.[/I]
    I do not own the original formulation of EDP, only the new one and the new EDP is - on my skin and to my nose - def. inferior to (the new) EDT. EDP hasn't got that smooth velvety/creamy thing going in the drydown, seems more watery and thin. To me they smell like different formulations and while both last the whole day on me the EDP lacks the richness, refinement, depth and creaminess of EDT's drydown. If I didn't know which one is which I'd think the EDP is EDT and vice versa. I still like the EDP though. Must be my skin chemistry I guess.., wish I could try the old EDP.

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    I do not own the original formulation of EDP, only the new one and the new EDP is - on my skin and to my nose - def. inferior to (the new) EDT. EDP hasn't got that smooth velvety/creamy thing going in the drydown, seems more watery and thin. To me they smell like different formulations and while both last the whole day on me the EDP lacks the richness, refinement, depth and creaminess of EDT's drydown. If I didn't know which one is which I'd think the EDP is EDT and vice versa. I still like the EDP though. Must be my skin chemistry I guess.., wish I could try the old EDP.
    You obviously have something entirely different than the actual EDP.
    Last edited by pluran; 5th December 2007 at 09:12 PM.

You obviously have something entirely than the actual EDP.
    I bought 2 bottles of EDP from escentual, didn't know they're selling fakes now...

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    I bought 2 bottles of EDP from escentual, didn't know they're selling fakes now...
    me neither

Dependent

Basically, Heritage is luxury, a Rolls Royce, and Zino is a well-restored Lincoln Town Car with a few gaudy extras to compensate, and driven by a pimp with some degree of class.

I'm having a bit of trouble with this last paragraph. We'll forget giving Heritage EDP the nod over Zino EDT and for the life of me I don't know how LeMale factors in and honestly I don't want to know.

So we have Heritage as a Rolls Royce, no mention of condition. I have seen some funky Rolls Royces in my time, I worked across the street from an independent Rolls Royce repair and reconstruction business for a few years.

and Zino is a well-restored Lincoln Town Car with a few gaudy extras to compensate?

If this is the case we practically have a down at it's heels Rolls Royce.

A pimp with any degree of class? Impossible, they would not last one night in any city. Unless there's a few in Oregon's forests.

Again I must recommend the Zino. I find Heritage's top note far too brassy.

yours respectfully

Gary

PS: Mrs Fredricktoo turns [redacted] today.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 5th December 2007 at 09:26 PM.

I find Heritage's top note far too brassy
    The drydown will more than make up for it. With Heritage (EDT) it's all about its extraterrestrial drydown.

Last edited by pluran; 19th October 2012 at 06:34 AM.

I think of Zino as a BMW Z-4 and Heritage as a Mercedes S-class. Both a bit bourgeois, but both quite fabulous.

I don't understand what LeMale has to do with Range Rovers. A rickshaw maybe?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I don't understand what LeMale has to do with Range Rovers. A rickshaw maybe?
    It has nothing to do with Range Rovers but quite a bit to do with Zino.

--------------------------------------

See scentemental's posts in the thread below for a good explanation of the differences between Heritage EDT and EDP:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=187576
    Last edited by pluran; 5th December 2007 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It has nothing to do with Range Rovers but quite a bit to do with Zino.[/URL]
    Zino and Le Male? Now that makes me want to try Le Male. Do you refer to the indolic Bergamot note that they both share?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th December 2007 at 11:34 PM.

O.K. Guys, I've worn Heritage edt Wed. and Zino yesterday (Thurs.) and must admit that I, too, definitely found a similarity in the fragrances. It was most notable to me after the first 20 minutes or so into Zino's progression on into the middle and dry down. Both fragrances are wonderful in their own rights but definitely similar. Wearing Rochas Lui today to see if I still detect a resemblance with Zino and or Heritage.

Dependent

I found Zino's longevity in side by side comparison to be much greater than Heritage. I'm curious to hear what others have found.

No fight. Zino is the winner by far. More complex, floral and subdued.
    While Heritage is somehow a copycat. Despite of that, the worst of the 2 survives... being Zino discontinued....
    I have 2 giants bottle of Zino with me. After, probably I'll go for Heritage. But please, don't be fooled by the Guerlain brandname. Zino is a masterpiece. After a side by side comparison You can understand why. the first time I tried I was really impressed that Guerlain could not achieve the Davidoff result.....shocking.
    Corrado Finardi

Guerlain Heritage

Heritage ...but longetivity is critical

Heritage

I own current formulations of both and unfortunately don't know the vintage Zino with the "signature logo". I own the one with the normal font on the front of the bottle. I also don't know what vintage Heritage smells like.

In this perspective I'd choose Heritage over Zino as Zino is almost gone after 2 hours on my skin and Heritage last for at least 6 hours! On smell perspective they are equal for me though Zino is more of an evening fall/winter scent to me and Heritage more "all occasions/seasons" and is therefor more versatile.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Jacques Bogart: Bogart Pour Homme (2004)
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

I just conducted a "head to head" study of these two, vintage versions. First, I'll say that Bijan for Men and Zino both seem to have been reformulated in similar ways (and badly, IMO, though Bijan getting the worst of it). The lavender and ambery qualities get "amped up" and the sandalwood is not as good and/or there is less of it. In both cases, the result is badly unbalanced. I really enjoyed vintage Zino, as it's complex, balanced, dynamic, and natural smelling, with good note separation (and it develops more over time, which isn't that important to me). So, even though I'm not a huge fan of some of the notes, I enjoy the fragrance. In the case of vintage Heritage, I find that it is clearly unbalanced in favor of a creamy, syrupy/ambery sweet quality (with little note separation). There is a "tingly" quality, perhaps meant as a kind of counterpoint (I'm guessing the lavender and wood notes are largely responsible), but to me it is irritating. I guess the idea was to create an "elegant" or "plush" quality that is made "masculine" by the tingly/"textured" elements, but to me it is more for the person who wants to smell like something rather than the person who wants to smell particular things in a particular way (meaning the aficionado). Of course, the aficionado may be going to a wedding in cold weather and he likes the idea of other people smelling Heritage on him during that event. I would agree that Heritage is the "better" frag in this scenario.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 31st March 2012 at 06:20 AM.

I like both, I just only wish Heritage EDT had Zino longevity. Heritage lasts max. 3h while Zino lasts all day on me.

Enjoy both but prefer Heritage.

I know this is an old thread, but I though it was worth resurrecting it.
    To me, these two are nearly the same fragrance. Hard to believe that some people see no similarity.
    If you look at the note breakdown, they're nearly identical. Makes me wonder if Guerlain just blatantly ripped off Zino.

How does one identify vintage Zino?

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    How does one identify vintage Zino?
    The vintage bottle has Zino in a script like writing where the current is just block letters of the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    The vintage bottle has Zino in a script like writing where the current is just block letters of the name.
    thanks!

Heritage blindly!
    My current top 10 (with no particular order):
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Terre d'Hermes EDT
    CK Eternity for Men
    Creed Aventus
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme (Old Tin Can)
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt
    Costume National Homme

Zino by a slight margin, though I thoroughly enjoy both.

Guerlain
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

For me, it's more of a mood issue these days. There are times when I want the complexity and "busyness" of Zino, while other times I want the clarity in the straightforward Heritage.