Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Bal a Versailles.

I understand that there is a significant difference between Bal a Versailles in parfum vs. edt other than just strength. Please enlighten me in regards to the difference.

Default Re: Bal a Versailles.

I don't know the edt, N_Tesla. I have the edc, and it is a sexy bombshell - lots of orange blossom, very skanky with civet, sweet and powdery. It's amazing stuff. The parfum is divine. I have read that the edt is not so good, but I don't know first-hand.

Sur la Plage

All I have tried is the EDC, and I absolutely love it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

lilybelle; Is the parfum less powdery than the edc?

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I don't know the edt, N_Tesla. I have the edc, and it is a sexy bombshell - lots of orange blossom, very skanky with civet, sweet and powdery. It's amazing stuff. The parfum is divine. I have read that the edt is not so good, but I don't know first-hand.

I haven't worn the parfum for 25 years, but I remember it as much more intensely floral than the EDC, which is ambery, powdery and possibly the skankiest scent I own.

All I've tried is the edt, and I love it. It's not over-the-top skanky, but it is sexy, dark, and glamorous. I would not call this strength powdery at all.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Yeah, very sexy indeed.
    I have, and love, the EdT,
    as I'm a huge civet fan,
    but I so wanna try out
    the parfum, too!

The EdC is my favorite, too. I've read somewhere that it's closest to the original formulation. For an EdC it is very long lasting and a bit of a sillage monster. BaV is one of the greats!

Regarding the EDC that seems to be getting the raves, are we talking about a vintage formulation? I recently tested and loved the present EDT of Bal a Versailles, but am considering the parfum and/or EDC.

I would love to hear your opinions on the vintage & present formulas of Bal a Versailles in all/any concentrations

Thank you Kevin- noting that the edc is practically free on ebay. Funny how the edc seems better liked than the edt. My thoughts of edc seem to be that it would lighter/more short lived.

I bought the edc in Marshall's for $7. I assume it's current. It smells great. The bottle looks like this (opaque white glass)...

Oh neat- that is the one I am looking at! I have only seen those ones on ebay, although I do love the round bottles with the kitschy labels....

Jane, my mom had the round bottle in the parfum that looked like the one below. I remember looking at it on her perfume tray when I was a little girl. I've read online that the label is based on a Fragonard painting, but the clothes look more renaissance than rococo to me, and I can't find a Fragonard painting that looks like that. So I don't know. Maybe a commercial artist just made it up. I never liked this parfum on my mother back then. I think she wore too much of it. Now, years later, I think it's gorgeous stuff. Not for the kiddies.

... but the clothes look more renaissance than rococo to me, and I can't find a Fragonard painting that looks like that. So I don't know.
    Excuse me, madame, but there is nothing remotely renaissance about their clothing,
    it's pure Rococo ... borderline Classicism maybe, but still very much Rococo!

The painting itself is also very Rococo, their positions, the flowers, the colors, all very Rococo!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Excuse me, madame, but there is nothing remotely renaissance about their clothing,
    it's pure Rococo ... borderline Classicism maybe, but still very much Rococo!

The painting itself is also very Rococo, their positions, the flowers, the colors, all very Rococo!
    Yes you're right, Duc - the pastel colors are certainly rococo, and also the way the bodies are painted and posed, too, but the dresses look like an earlier style. Maybe it's just the classicist reference, as you say. Anyway, do you know which painting this is, if it is a real one by Fragonard?

Well, I still feel like their dresses are rococo, maybe late baroque,
    which is between renaissance and rococo?
    No, I don't think so? They are rococo.

I don't know the painting, but I bet it's a real one indeed!

Well, I still feel like their dresses are rococo, maybe late baroque,
    which is between renaissance and rococo?
    No, I don't think so? They are rococo.

I don't know the painting, but I bet it's a real one indeed!
    Yes, that's it - baroque verging into rococo. Hairsplitters, aren't we? I'm determined to find this painting now. I will when I'm not looking.

I think the clothing is not of Fragonard's 18th century, the bodice's would be much more elongated. They look to be either 17th century or early 19th century neo-classicism. Also, Fragonard's style had very strong brush strokes and his subject's faces are more porcelain-like. To me, it looks like an illustration done specifically for the perfume.

Oh guys. There. You've done it. I MUST have this. I tested it a few weeks ago and nearly chewed my arm off.

I adore the painting, that it's "not for kiddies" and the bottle. Lilybelle, I spoke about this with my mum yesterday and it turns out she had it as well. I am sure I recall seeing this on her vanity along with her round Shalimar bottle with the conical topper and her Replique parfum.

Suddenly civet smells like velvet to me and I simply cannot get enough. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I think the clothing is not of Fragonard's 18th century, the bodice's would be much more elongated. They look to be either 17th century or early 19th century neo-classicism. Also, Fragonard's style had very strong brush strokes and his subject's faces are more porcelain-like. To me, it looks like an illustration done specifically for the perfume.
    When I look at it closely, it does seem like it must be made up. It just doesn't look quite...you know. If it's baroque the colors are off, and if it's rococo the clothing style is off. It can't be Fragonard anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Daly View Post
    Oh guys. There. You've done it. I MUST have this. I tested it a few weeks ago and nearly chewed my arm off.

I adore the painting, that it's "not for kiddies" and the bottle. Lilybelle, I spoke about this with my mum yesterday and it turns out she had it as well. I am sure I recall seeing this on her vanity along with her round Shalimar bottle with the conical topper and her Replique parfum.

Suddenly civet smells like velvet to me and I simply cannot get enough. Sigh.
    Yay for civet! My mom had Shalimar, too. And I recall Rochas Femme, and Faberg Tigress. I remember stroking the furry cap.

I just picked up a tiny bottle of BaV in a little hole-in-the-wall shop that had a lot of old costume jewelry and stuff like that. I think it may be vintage. It looks like it could be between 10ml and some fraction, say 0.5 to 0.8 of an ounce. It is a rather simple bottle, nearly rectangular but the base is a bit wider than the top, and the sides bulge out a bit. The cap is gold-colored and sort of conical, flaring toward the top like a crown. The label has not picture. It says
    PARFUM
    DE
    TOILETTE
    BAL

VERSAILLES

(cursive script) Jean
    Desprez
    MADE IN FRANCE
    (I don't know how to do the right accent on )

There is no box, and no sticker on the bottle. The bottom of the bottle has some characters pressed into it, rather hard to read, but it seems to be '. SHD 5

I found some parfum de toilette on e bay, in a similar bottle, but that bottle had beveled shoulders, and the label was blue. The label of mine is cream-colored with gold lettering. Naturally, I suspected a problem, either a fake/refill of some kind, or maybe problems of aging. I mentioned the bottle looked old, and the guy said, 'there are lots of these' which didn't really answer my question. I took a sniff of the bottle, although that was kind of meaningless, since I have never smelled it before. When I finally got it home, I looked at the BN reviews, and I am convinced it is real. It is everything I hoped for and more.

Has anyone ever seen this kind of bottle?

Jane, my mom had the round bottle in the parfum that looked like the one below. I remember looking at it on her perfume tray when I was a little girl. I've read online that the label is based on a Fragonard painting, but the clothes look more renaissance than rococo to me, and I can't find a Fragonard painting that looks like that. So I don't know. Maybe a commercial artist just made it up. I never liked this parfum on my mother back then. I think she wore too much of it. Now, years later, I think it's gorgeous stuff. Not for the kiddies.

I have a 2 ounce crystal bottle that looks exactly like that picture. However, the label is quite faded and the cord & cellophane(?) look REALLY old, perhaps dating back almost 50 years to when this fragrance was first released.

I don't have the heart to break the 50-year-old cord so I guess I can't smell it. Until a 10% full 1 oz bottle with the same shape that I secured for $12.99 arrives by next week(hopefully).

There's no box so I'm not sure if it's edt/edc/parfum but I'm guessing from the teak-like colour of the juice that it's parfum.

BAV has been through many permutations and a truly confusing array of bottles. The license for it has changed hands quite a few times, probably more. Right now it's held by a small Florida marketing company. With each licensing, bottles and formulations have changed. Any "EDP" is certainly modern. The big round EDT bottles with the plastic lyre top are modern. It's utterly confusing. To be safe, if you want the vintage EDT, look for a rectangular bottle with a white shield-shaped label with gold trim, and white box with the same shield -- these were made in the 70's. Cologne the same, except the label and box can be blue. (For obvious reasons, all splash bottles should be full and unopened.) For vintage perfume, 1/4 oz size, make sure the top of the little round bottle is spherical, real metal (brass I believe) and the neck has several "crimps." Any other packaging types are more likely to hold modern reformulations.

But even if you get a modern reformulation, it's a damned sight better than a lot of the dreck that's out there now. Nevertheless, all Bal lovers owe it to themselves to track down the vintage. It's gorgeous, beyond lush.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

I've seen that 1/4 oz bottle before, but never cared to bid for it on eBay, because the cap looked like gold-painted plastic.

Other than that, I've only really seen the tall parfum de toilette bottle and the bottle pictured in this thread(spray & splash).

The white canister is a real revelation to me.

I have a white cannister. Mine is older, so the bottle is painted glass, with the Bal gold and white brocade design, which is fading. The lit is gold-tone plastic (thin and brittle -- which is a plus in this case, as plastics are better now.) The scent, an EDC, is very powderey.

The oldest vintage Bal parfums are very dark, like syrup, and full of animalics like civet, leather and musk. These are heavy enough to "flatten" the florals and woods, although they're still there, at first. Real, vintage Bal has a "circular" quality (Luca Turin) which means that the florals/animalics retreat, reappear, retreat again through the fragrance's life on skin.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

My 2 oz bottle contains a very dark juice, and the motif is really faded, so I guess it's probably from the 1962-1980 period, at the very least.

I used to have the white canister (as well the bottle with the picture). I found the white canister stuff (EDC, I think) skankier, the bottle (EDT) more floral. Love them both when I'm in the right mood.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

If you like, I can check with the factory, and get you the specific differences. One of the main differences is how long it maintains it's potency when applied. There is also a variation in the strength depending on application. The Jeandesprez.com website has an interesting sampler, so you can compare for yourself. Jean Desprez (creator of Bal a Versailles) is coming out with a new scent in the first quarter of 2011. It has been 50 years since they released their last scent, so this is a big deal for them.

I am a long-time lover of this perfume! I have a tiny bottle of the EDP, and a glass bottle of the cologne. I haven't smelt the EDT. To me, the EDP is a big hitter- very dark and animalistic, I only need a tiny amount. The cologne, surprisingly, is only slightly lighter. The sillage and longevity is great for a cologne!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Desprez View Post
    If you like, I can check with the factory, and get you the specific differences. One of the main differences is how long it maintains it's potency when applied. There is also a variation in the strength depending on application. The Jeandesprez.com website has an interesting sampler, so you can compare for yourself. Jean Desprez (creator of Bal a Versailles) is coming out with a new scent in the first quarter of 2011. It has been 50 years since they released their last scent, so this is a big deal for them.
    That's interesting news! Very exciting.

I'm closing in on my vintage parfum and I'm going to break it open very soon. I feel I'm in the mood...

Larimar, open that bottle! You have a treat in store

No worries, I'm no collector

No matter how hard I try Bal a Versailles is all powder on me

How exciting that Jean Desprez is launching a new scent! I hope it can live up to it's legendary history

Quote Originally Posted by Olfacta View Post
    look for a rectangular bottle with a white shield-shaped label with gold trim, and white box with the same shield -- these were made in the 70's.
    rectangular? i've never even seen those. didn't you mean cylindrical?

Okay, Mrs. H, here I go... I opened my vintage parfum (full to the top and smelling as "fresh" as it can to my nose).
    Interestingly, after 3 sniffs it came to my mind that there is something very similar going on than the main phase/accord of Ubar. BdV parfum, however, goes through various (some slightly and some not) different phases on me and never really settles down to a "harmony". I don't object this here, it is a hell of an interesting ride. The Ubar phase does not last really long as the civet gets even more pronounced, then I remember a sweet spices phase, again very piss-civety, lots of neroli/orange blossom in the start-off phase and during later stages. Towards the base I could clearly detect the rose oil. The leather here (I think it is the mixture with the pronounced civet) is not my favorite (I'm the cuir-de-russie base kind of person). A fantastic ride in a nutshell, a very lively fragrance, rather quiet with average to good longevity! To me, if I had to sum it up, it is a civet study in many interesting facets. Wear this and enjoy the ride by paying attention to its development!

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Daly View Post
    No matter how hard I try Bal a Versailles is all powder on me

How exciting that Jean Desprez is launching a new scent! I hope it can live up to it's legendary history
    Yay, im on the list of the site to get 50% off when they release.
    Also i made contact with the support from JD, and they told me that the launch will be in the first quarter 2011, so we are very close!

Sadly JD has canceled my order of 3 mini bav 5ml (edt, edp and extrait). They told me that having problems with international orders, the bottles were leaking...

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Yay, im on the list of the site to get 50% off when they release.
    Also i made contact with the support from JD, and they told me that the launch will be in the first quarter 2011, so we are very close!

Sadly JD has canceled my order of 3 mini bav 5ml (edt, edp and extrait). They told me that having problems with international orders, the bottles were leaking...

Greetings,

Once again, we would like to apologize for canceling your order, and refunding your money, but we would rather cancel and refund than run the risk of you receiving inferior merchandise. We have only had a couple of pressurization problems on aircraft, but that is a couple too many. Our product engineers are working on a solution to avoid this when the new JD fragrance is released. They are also resolving this problem with the Bal a Versailles fragrance. One option being explored is Parcel Post, which would go by ship. In any case, rest assured, we will never sell inferior Bal a Versailles or Jean Desprez product knowing of a potential problem. Our customers deserve better, and we are grateful for loyal supporters just like you! Sometimes reputation is more important than the almighty dollar :-) jeandesprez.com

How cool is that?! An official - and public - explanation by the JD Comp.!

Larimar, that is an excellent description! There are similarities to Ubar but yes, it's civet all the way. Glad you enjoyed the EDP experience! Love or hate BaV, at least it's not boring

How cool is that?! An official - and public - explanation by the JD Comp.!

Very cool indeed!

I just tried my Bal a Versailles(I think it's edp) this evening and it seems a lot like a cross between 1part Tabu cologne and 2 parts Shalimar edt-very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs H View Post
    Larimar, that is an excellent description! There are similarities to Ubar but yes, it's civet all the way. Glad you enjoyed the EDP experience! Love or hate BaV, at least it's not boring
    Actually, I do like it, but I don't think it will be a love. It's just a tad too light in its atmosphere (same with Ubar)... I'm happy with my vintage parfum and it will be my recalibration for civet in the future. It really is an INTERESTING fragrance, in the best sense!

Bal a Versailles has notes of rosemary, orange blossoms, Cassia, Jasmine, Rose, Neroli, Bergamot, Bulgarian Rose, Lemon, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Lilac, Orris Root, Vetiver, Yiang-Yiang, Lily, Tolu Balsam, musk, Benjoin, Civet, Vanilla, Cedar, Resins. The more expensive natural ingredients such as Jasmine, and Bulgarian Rose are what helps make it a strong finisher. If you compare Chanel No. 5 to Bal a Versailles, they both have Jasime, Sandalwood, Yiang-Yiang, Vetiver, and Neroli. Chanel uses Aldehydes that gives it that unique blend. The new Jean Desprez fragrance (as you all know, Jean Desprez created Bal a Versailles) should satisfy the demanding needs of current clients while enticing fresh recruits :-)

Bal a Versailles has notes of rosemary, orange blossoms, Cassia, Jasmine, Rose, Neroli, Bergamot, Bulgarian Rose, Lemon, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Lilac, Orris Root, Vetiver, Yiang-Yiang, Lily, Tolu Balsam, musk, Benjoin, Civet, Vanilla, Cedar, Resins. The more expensive natural ingredients such as Jasmine, and Bulgarian Rose are what helps make it a strong finisher. If you compare Chanel No. 5 to Bal a Versailles, they both have Jasime, Sandalwood, Yiang-Yiang, Vetiver, and Neroli. Chanel uses Aldehydes that gives it that unique blend. The new Jean Desprez fragrance (as you all know, Jean Desprez created Bal a Versailles) should satisfy the demanding needs of current clients while enticing fresh recruits :-)
    As you has told me by mail, were veeery close to the new release from Jean Desprez, right???

Im excited to this one.
    Any news!!
    On the mail you told me that it will be launched in March!

Oh my gosh, I so love BaV. All of mine is vintage...a small glass bottle and a white canister in excellent shape...and I find them both hypnotic. Can't get enough! Looks like I should spring for some of the reasonably priced new juice as well and let it age.

people, don't be fooled with marketing lies. the perfume industry always will tell you it's the original formula, high quality ingredients, bla, bla bla. this is simply never the truth. please, do not let them play with you head! they just want your money, they don't care about perfume. only trust your own nose!

They are still working on which of the 3 variations of the fragrance they will actually release. They are thinking about using some of the registers users at the jeandesprez.com site to actually use the new fragrance to determine the final release. As soon as we know, you will know. Since they waited over 50 years to release a new fragrance they are taking their time. Thank you so much for asking.

Please feel free to visit our website www.jeandesprez.com and let us know where we have made a "marketing lie". All fragrances evolve over the years. Bal a Versailles has almost 300 ingredients. According to the quality control folks, Bal a Versailles has only modified the several ingredients relating to animal use. We think this is for the better for all concerned. Visit our site, and if you still feel the same way, post a comment. We are in the business to make money, but the folks at Jean Desprez (creator of Bal a Versailles) obviously care about the product, or they would not be taking so long to release a new one.

They are still working on which of the 3 variations of the fragrance they will actually release. They are thinking about using some of the registers users at the jeandesprez.com site to actually use the new fragrance to determine the final release. As soon as we know, you will know. Since they waited over 50 years to release a new fragrance they are taking their time. Thank you so much for asking.
    Wow, this answer was fast Jean Desprez! I has contact you about minutes ago!

Thanks for the info, i will be very, very proud to be one of the "Beta Testers" of the new release.

Also we can call it Desprez n1, n2 or n3, haha, kidding!!

JD, the best and the most personal customer service in the world!

I will bought another bottle of BaV today

Very, VERY excited!

Thank goodness I found this thread on google. Just ordered 100mls from your website and been in conversation with a very friendly person via email re:international orders. Told a few people about the website so hope it comes off OK. Can't wait to smell one of three reformulations, but I love the EDC out in the 1980s the best.

Wearing it at the moment and it smells disgustingly skanky. I love it!

Concentration levels

The concentration by percent/volume of perfume oil is as follows:
    Perfume extract: 20%-50% aromatic compounds
    Eau de parfum: 10-30% aromatic compounds
    Eau de toilette: 5-20% aromatic compounds

Eau de colonge: 2-5% aromatic compounds
    As the percentage of aromatic compounds decreases, so does the intensity and longevity of the scent created. Different perfumeries or perfume houses assign different amounts of oils to each of their perfumes. Therefore, although the oil concentration of a perfume in eau de parfum (EDP) dilution will be higher than the same perfume in eau de toilette (EDT) form within the same range, the actual amounts can vary between perfume houses. An EDT from one house may be stronger than an EDP from another. Our EDP and EDT are stronger than most. Eau de cologne (EDC) was originally created in Cologne, Germany as a weak concentration fragrance of a citrus nature but in recent decades has become the generic term for a weakly concentrated perfume of any kind.

We have some great fragrance info on our website (not as fantastic as Basenotes, but helpful just the same).

I purchased the Bal a Versailles perfume splash for my mother in law in the quarter ounce bottle with the gold cap. It was not a vintage purchase but I think the bottle was slightly old stock as the print on the back of the bottle was sticky/coming off.

She also had the EDC and the EDT.

I wish I had the language/knowledge to express the difference. This is the first fragrance where I have been able to tell the difference between the perfume and the EDC. It is not what the perfume does have so much as what it does not have. The EDC has a plasticky stinkiness to it that the perfume does not have. The perfume seems to omit some of the sharpness in the top notes and dries down faster and smoother.

We think you articulated your feelings quite well. Our fragrances have a shelf life of 3-5 years. The bottles themselves are designed to protect and store the fragrances, so provided you use them correctly (e.g. keeping the cap tight). There should not be any significant variation as it relates to the fragrance itself, thus even the EDC should not have a plasticky stinkiness to it. Storing fragrances in a box and cabinet will further serve to insulate them from extreme changes in temperature.Fragrances that are particularly important (like ours :-) ) should be stored separately to guard against any accidental cross-contamination, or at least keep the caps tight if you want to proudly display several of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I agree 100%, Kevin. The art looks like an illustration to promote the product. There is too much disparity in the costumes, which seem to be a mishmash of Renaissance, First Empire and Romantic.

As for the scent itself, how lasting is the EDT versus the parfum? I can't locate the EDP.

Also, what about sillage?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    I understand that there is a significant difference between Bal a Versailles in parfum vs. edt other than just strength. Please enlighten me in regards to the difference.
    If you register at www.jeandesprez.com you can buy the $300 pure perfume (1 ounce- 28mm) for $95, and you can buy the 3.4 ounce - 100mm EDT for only $39.95 and then compare them.

Eau de cologne: 2-5% aromatic compounds

If you register at www.jeandesprez.com you can buy the $300 pure perfume (1 ounce- 28mm) for $95, and you can buy the 3.4 ounce - 100mm EDT for only $39.95 and then compare them.

Eau de cologne: 2-5% aromatic compounds
    I used to hate animalistic fragrances/notes. Now I cannot get enough. Especially Bal a Versailles vintage edp. It is so rich, lush and naughty smelling. It is a pure joy to wear. Why cant all perfumes smell like this? I have tried the reformulated edt version of BaV and it isnt as animalistic as the vintage edp, but it is pleasant. I find myself enjoying more and more fragrance that have a pronounced civet note. It adds a layer of depth to the fragrance that is wonderful.
    Want more reviews? Check out my fragrance blog, In The Nose
    Http://Dkchocoman.wordpress.com

Look at this old BaV thread! I gave away the bottle I had when this thread was going. Ultimately, it was just too vulgar to wear out of the house, though I also rather loved it. Now, I have a different version of BaV edc, and it is so much better, more subtle in every way, and more complex. I wear it often, spritzing on my abdomen and between my shoulder blades on my back so that the scent wafts up through clothing, but only I can smell it (I think).

Dependent

Curious to try this animalic classic . . . a bit hesitant about the powderiness, leather, and possibility of aldehydes though.