Code of Conduct

Default creed royal oud review

applied this frag around 5pm at: (you guessed it) the gym after baking in the sauna and steam room...lets see...right off the bat i get a sweet tonka bean mixed with light incense and maybe some light sandalwood/wood...definite a very sweet smelling round fragrance...no sharp notes here...i do not smell any oud though....smells very round and warm....seems to be pretty linear as well..i applied it pretty light with the swb stick to both wrists and for the small amount i applied it seems to project good....i thought it was a good choice tonight to do the review because it is very cold and windy tonight here in NJ and a nice contrast to the mint leaf i smelled all last night....
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Default Re: creed royal oud review

I agree it is a rather restrained elegant take on oud. An Englishman's oud perhaps?
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Royal Oud is a good one. Enjoy bro!

Very good frag, one of the "calm" oud's compared to the harsh Montale's

Basenotes Plus

Lanky, sounds like Royal Oud smells to you pretty much like it smells to me. Perfectly decent but none too exciting. As for the oud, well, we're probably both still looking.

Great scent and glad to count it among my other Creeds in my collection.

I have to try this one, thanks

Blog Entries

Little oud, alot of hype. poor longevity...sells b/c it is a "Creed" all in all better than the Bug spray that Royal Water is though.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

I too enjoy this fragrance. Would like to see this in the 4 oz and the price reduced though. I get a strong wood chips vibe from it.

I dig this scent from the decant I bought. This will be my next Creed bottle purchase. Just wish it came in a 4oz too!

Banned
    Blog Entries

im both a NJ citizen and a creed fan. i'll have to check this one out.

Montale it's not. Generic and over priced it is.

Love this scent. I prefer it to the so called "real oud" that i have come across so far, Bond's NY oud and TF Oud Wood. It is just elegant and i will buy a full bottle at the right price point

i thought it was ok..not really memorable for me....no real standout note...no high points and no low points...but overall it smells pleasant......and i am not a fan of tonka notes
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

My wife really enjoys this on me. I am becoming more fond of it over time.

I like this one but saying it is generic is an understatement IMO. Creed has produced another hypebeast!
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Noir de Noir
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Musc Ravageur
    6. Bois d'argent
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Oud 1

I love this, but I don't detect a prominent tonka note.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I dislike when people start a new thread about something already being discussed SO...I am reviving this thread.
    I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with Creed. I love GIT, Aventus, I like MI, although it smells generic, BUT I hate the hype that goes along with this house. I bought a sample of Royal Oud, and the initial top notes are a horrible Chemical smelling floral mess. But the dry-down, which thankfully happens quickly is very nice. Each test I do I like it better. The oud present is of the very dry sawdust variety, so many complain there is no oud. I like the spices too. Here is the catch...like many Creeds, I get little projection, and no longevity. It sucks b/c I do like this one. My Bn9s & my Montales give me 12+ hrs. I can't expect that from everything, but I expect MOST of an 8hr workday to catch a whiff. Unfortunately Royal Oud sits quietly on my neck/chest and I have to lift my shirt to catch a fleeting whiff. After 2hrs, even that doesn't work. I broke my rule not to waste money on things that don't last long, on FBs of GIT and Aventus b/c they are so unique, but I'm not breaking the rule on this.
    Last edited by Danielstripedtiger; 26th March 2013 at 09:49 AM.

Not impressed with it. Wishy-washy, understated... but very EXPENSIVE of course...

Nice enough, dries down to a pleasant spices + wood/cedar.

There's no oud in this fragrance called "Royal Oud".

Does this fact not bother anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by usedtowork View Post

No, it doesn't bother.

A pathetic obsession with the monarchy as an emblem of class and quality does inspire pity, though.

Quote Originally Posted by usedtowork View Post

Like I said above, there IS oud present, only it isn't the earthy oud, but the very dry sawdust oud also present in By Kilian Pure Oud. What bothers the heck out of me is that It has now been 4 hrs since I first applied it, and I don't smell a thing. Royal Oud has ZERO projection, 1 hr. after 3 spritzes, lift my collar and take a deep breath, faint. an hour later, 3 more spritzes, an hour later, nothing, 3 more spritzes...I have applied 1ml total in 4hrs and It is a mere memory on my shirt. I read a review by somebody who praised everything about this, and said 10hr. longevity. Obviously a Creed-head b/c NO ONE can get 10hrs from this.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Great scent and glad to count it among my other Creeds in my collection.
    This. Additionally, I dont understand how people do not smell the oud in this one. Perhaps its because I dislike oud that it is one of the more prominent notes on my skin. Regardless, I really enjoy this one as its longevity and projection is in the top 5 of all fragrances I have ever owned. For a Creed that is outstanding.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    This. Additionally, I dont understand how people do not smell the oud in this one. Perhaps its because I dislike oud that it is one of the more prominent notes on my skin. Regardless, I really enjoy this one as its longevity and projection is in the top 5 of all fragrances I have ever owned. For a Creed that is outstanding.
    You're a lucky guy because I get extremely limited longevity and projection from Royal Oud. If I could find a fragrance that smells exactly like it that lasts I'd buy it immediately. I have oily skin too so fragrances usually last on my skin.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears." - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois EDP, Chanel Egoiste Platinum, Creed Green Irish Tweed, YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, YSL Opium Pour Homme EDP, Comme des Garcons Kyoto, Acqua di Parma Oud, Slumberhouse Jeke, Xerjoff Fars and Xerjoff Gao

Quote Originally Posted by acjigga View Post
    You're a lucky guy because I get extremely limited longevity and projection from Royal Oud. If I could find a fragrance that smells exactly like it that lasts I'd buy it immediately. I have oily skin too so fragrances usually last on my skin.
    Crazy. Its amazing to me the difference that skin chemistry and fragrance composition makes in the wearing of a fragrance! I have extremely dry skin so when I could still smell it 10 hours later I was shocked to say the least. It may be my the advice that I gleaned from a longevity thread. I decided against putting lotion on areas that I wear fragrances and put them on an hour or two after my shower in order to allow my natural body oils to moisten the skin and interact with the scent. It seems to be working, as fragrances before that I got limited longevity out of, are lasting 2-3 hours longer.
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Danielstripedtiger View Post
    Like I said above, there IS oud present, only it isn't the earthy oud, but the very dry sawdust oud also present in By Kilian Pure Oud. What bothers the heck out of me is that It has now been 4 hrs since I first applied it, and I don't smell a thing. Royal Oud has ZERO projection, 1 hr. after 3 spritzes, lift my collar and take a deep breath, faint. an hour later, 3 more spritzes, an hour later, nothing, 3 more spritzes...I have applied 1ml total in 4hrs and It is a mere memory on my shirt. I read a review by somebody who praised everything about this, and said 10hr. longevity. Obviously a Creed-head b/c NO ONE can get 10hrs from this.
    Nose fatigue?
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

Quote Originally Posted by Granola View Post
    Nose fatigue?
    I always get a second opinion when I get poor longevity...Ask the wife if she still smells it. There are a few frags that somehow cause nasal fatigue in me...BUT only a rare few, and I won't purchase them either b/c what is the point if I can't smell them? No, I guess those few of you that are getting 10+hrs have something going on, b/c I reapplied 5 spritzes again an hour ago, and it is fleetingly clinging to my shirt in a desperate attempt to stick around. It's gotta be Creed...I think one reason so many people worship this house is they must have that magical skin b/c I read reviews saying 8-10hr longevity from GIT, Aventus, MI, and I don't get more than 4 from any of them. Funny, my Montales last 12+ hrs and I smell them on my pillow the next morning, and my Bn9's give me more than 8hrs. I own FBs of GIT, Aventus, MI, and a sample of almost every other Masculine/unisex Creed, and none lasts all day.

Why So Serious?

I agree that some people have the magical skin for Creed. I'm fortunate to be one of them. Royal Oud last 10+ hours on me easily, I apply it before i go to work, come back home after work, go out shopping with my wife and out of no where she comments i smell good (12+ hours then), i was quite surprised because i could barely detect it. And that's just 3 sprays (3 sprays is actually a lot considering how generous these creed sprayers are). I have the same experiences with other Creeds.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

I honestly smell Royal Oud throughout the day without even trying. GIT, MI, and even Aventus, though I do enjoy them, dont seem to last longer than 3-4 hours on my skin.
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Great scent, which for me, has very good longevity. A full work day and then some. I met up with a friend after work one day, (so I had applied RO at least 9hrs before). She asked me if I had just sprayed perfume because the scent was so strong. I agree that most Creeds lack longevity, but not this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Danielstripedtiger View Post

If you say so, I own By Kilian Pure Oud and Montale Dark Aoud and while those are two very different frags, you can tell the wood used is at least from the same family, while Royal Oud's drydown is cedar-ish which to me smells completely different.

One of my favorite takes on oud, I was wearing it yesterday adn I love the wood/oud note in it

Royal oud is a very solid scent, also has great longevity on my skin.

whoops wrong thread

Good Taste, gentlemen! I bought Creed Spring Flower this evening and I love it! It's not linear, thank goodness, but it doesn't project as well, like some say the Creed Royal Oud projects! Maybe they should develop a Creed Oud for women!

Quote Originally Posted by NineInchNell View Post
    Good Taste, gentlemen! I bought Creed Spring Flower this evening and I love it! It's not linear, thank goodness, but it doesn't project as well, like some say the Creed Royal Oud projects! Maybe they should develop a Creed Oud for women!

Yea i love the scent but wish it would project a bit more after about 2-3 hrs. It does last >8 hrs on my skin as i still smell it on my clothes and faintly on my skin after the work day if i put it on around 8pm. I smell it several days after on my clothes when i am getting ready to do laundry.

The Oud is very subtle and on me the whole fragrance is a tad unexciting.

I love it.
    I do detect an Oud in it, but a very discrete and rounded Oud.
    I also smell an earthy rooty spicy Vetiver in it, that I also get from CDG Wonderwood, L'Occitane Vetyver and Encre Noir.

All in all I enjoy Royal Oud.
    Wish it came in 120 ml version for the same price though
    I get a solid 8-10 hours from my 75 ml Royal Oud.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

One of my favorites. The whole thing smells more like a tea-based fragrance to me. The Oud + Cedar + pepper gives it a bit of a Tea for Two type of scent to me (but much better). I get pretty good longevity from it, but is stays close. A bit subdued - good for the office, not clubbing.

I like it as well, but I feel that the price is way more than what it should be worth. Especially since this is a 2.5 oz, there's no reason why it should cost more than a 4 oz Creed bottle ($325 vs $315). IMO, it's even over priced in the grey market.

On a side note, I think I'm one of the few that is reminded of Tobacco Vanille when I wear Royal Oud. I get a pipe tobacco vibe.