Code of Conduct

Default Hmmm...bought Joop Homme

I love it a lot. Many people say it's far too sweet, to the point where it's synthetic and cloying, but for me it's just right! I love the sugary sweet cherry feel to it. After buying the more subtle and elegant Dior Homme, I needed another powerhouse in my collection (I love scents like A*Men and Kouros). I'd say it's actually fairly unisex as well.

What are your thoughts on this fragrance? any good/bad experiences with it? compliments?

Default Re: Hmmm...bought Joop Homme

bump

It is incredibly strong and long lasting. I think it smells good but I prefer Creed Original Santal.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

It's good but I prefer Individuel

I can't stand the sweetness of this stuff.

I love the dry down of Joop. This is where this baby really shines.

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Scent View Post
    Many people say it's far too sweet, to the point where it's synthetic and cloying.

What are your thoughts on this fragrance? any good/bad experiences with it? compliments?
    Agree with their assessment.

Basenotes Junkie Vitamin B Complex's Avatar

I had it years ago and loved it (was about 15 years old).

Since learning a little more about fragrance, I can see that it does smell synthetic. I personally love it and will always own it though, the smell is addictive to me. I just love it and it's one of my favourites. Great for winter.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Joop! simply requires some tactics upon application to prevent the overbearing monster effect. It really needs a LIGHT hand. Two sprays to the chest, maybe one to the collar. That's it. That's pushing it. But really, with that kind of application, the scent shines. Beautiful heliotrope, cinnamon, jasmin, orange blossom, vanilla, and sandalwood. The fact that the white flowers are rendered as polished edges - with plenty of indoles - seems lost on a lot of folks. Just the faintest suggestion of the flowers, but combined to form the whole effect of sweetness and warmth.

Best one ever made. If you own Joop! you will never ever need another fragrance in your entire life.
    My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

Banned

Joop! Homme is, indeed, a sweet, game-changing classic ... great for clubbing with its excellent projection and longevity ... easy on the trigger ...

A bit too strong for my tastes, though I like in general both sweet and strong scents

On compliments or other reactions I cannot comment, since I have never worn this scent in person, aside from some fleeting, rather short-term testing

this is the fragrance that really got me obsessed with frags. Brings back So many memories and I have introduced it to a few buddies of mine and they love it too. Probably one of the game changing designer frags. So unique and bold in composition and presentation, but definitely not for everyone.
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

If you like Joop then you should love Creeds Original Santal, it's like Joop but with better ingredients.

Creed and Piere Bourdon rendition of this masterpiece have nothing on this Bad Boy in red. My sotd Au Masculin screams ' When I grow up I want to be just like Joop!' I heard Rochas Man has the same dream.

I used to love and wear Joop! in my teens. Used to get crazy compliments on it, makes me wonder why I don't wear it today!

Not a fan of it. Sweet fragrances are by far my favorite genre, but this one feels too synthetic. Similar type of sweet, but not nearly as in your face and just better done is Gaultier 2 (flat out unisex).

It is the patchouli use in this fragrance that grounds the whole thing. I believe this the down dry in this scent which everyone comments on. I recall way back in 1991 Oliver Cresp being interview on the yet unknown Mugler Angel and how Quest worked three years to just develop the patchouli tabacco base of the fragrance for Mugler. Cresp gave props to Joop Homme has an example of fragrance which the perfumer used patchouli and wood base to control a fragrance from becoming overly sweet and all over the place.

Joop may be crude in today's standards but it opened the doors for creativity in men's fragrances.

It`s a great scent, but not my favourite genre. It has prove to be a classic.

I really don't understand how in thread after thread, numerous people here keep saying Joop Homme is too sweet. To my nose, Le Male is much much sweeter, and doesn't suffer anywhere near the condemnation of being too sweet that Joop Homme does.

Only thing wrong with Joop Homme is having to sit next to someone wearing lots of it in a train on a hot day. Down here it is overly worn any time of the day, when I think it best suited for evening wear, when it is generally cooler.
    Regards,
    Renato

Its good from far away, just dont smell it up close.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

I already liked the topnotes a lot, and now on my second wearing I love it even more. It's like a cherry dipped in cotton candy topped with cinnamon(it gives me a dark, warm vibe though) but somehow it blends well into a floral fragrance. Amazing stuff in my opinion, I disagree with the synthetics though, it feels very soothing and nice.

It's not as loud as people made it out to be though, it's perfect to me.

I freakin' love Joop. I don't think it's overly sweet because it has that sharpness to it that to me just evens it out. Joop also smells a lot different when you smell it on your skin compared to when you are just smelling it's silliage. If you put your nose to your skin while wearing(at least an hour in) Joop you will smell a powerhouse in every sense of the word it's spicy, it's woodsy, it just has a great masculine smell. Now in the silliage the masculine smells are toned down and the sweetart smell is strong, but I still love that a lot too. Joop is a masterpiece anyway you slice it.

Really like this one, though I haven't worn it in years after using up my bottle of it. Wouldn't mind getting a bottle again someday.

I have never owned this scent.....While it's not for me I do have Great respect for this fragrance!!!
    Gary

Sound Scents

I did not like it when I first smelled it many years ago and my opinion has not changed to date for the same reasons you mentioned many have with it.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driů) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Joop is great. I do only go for 3 sprays, 2 to chest area and 1 on back of neck. I love it. My wife also likes it, but only in small amounts. A powerhouse for sure. As mentioned above, Le Male is way sweeter and more synthetic than Joop.
    Top 10 at the moment:

1.Kouros
    2.Terre D'Hermes
    3.Fahrenheit
    4.Creed Royal Oud
    5.Eau Sauvage
    6.Dior Homme Sport
    7.Creed Bois du Portugal
    8.Givency PI
    9.Dior Homme
    10.Ralph Lauren Polo Blue

a nightmare made true , this perfume

joop has been around for ages with little or no changes, so they must be doing something right, i loved it when i was 15-19. dont think i could pull it off now

I think this may be stronger than I thought. I sprayed one on my shirt, another 2 on my wrists. 5 hours after I applied it, I shoved my wrist in my friend's nose and he said it was really strong and overwhelming.

Either way, I love this juice, ESPECIALLY the floral notes in it. You guys/girls know a fragrance with florals like these? Something similiar?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    If you like Joop then you should love Creeds Original Santal, it's like Joop but with better ingredients.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Very true, I own both.

But the downside (or upside, depending on how you view it) Original Santal only has 1/57th the longevity of Joop - 5 hours versus 12 days.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Fleur Du Male reminds me of Joop.

Joop Homme and Creeds Original Santal are similar.
    Creed is more refined / transparent.
    Opening quality goes to Creed. Longevity goes to Joop Homme.
    I like Joop Jump a bit better than Joop Homme.
    Joop Homme, spray and walk thru the mist, its that strong.

Quote Originally Posted by renato View Post
    very true, i own both.

But the downside (or upside, depending on how you view it) original santal only has 1/57th the longevity of joop - 5 hours versus 12 days.
    Cheers,
    renato
    lol!!!

Basenotes Plus

Joop! Homme is my favorite clubbing perfume. I wore it when it first came out, and I still enjoy it. It has monsterous silage and excellent longevity. Be careful, as you will develop olfactory fatigue if you smell it up close. It can be headache inducing if you spray too much of it. But, when used judiciously, it works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Scent View Post

Either way, I love this juice, ESPECIALLY the floral notes in it. You guys/girls know a fragrance with florals like these? Something similiar?
    Try sampling Kenzo Power. Sephora and The Bay carry it

It would help to buy a small 1oz bottle instead of going for the mega size. Mainly for the smaller spritz which makes it more wearable.

Joop is awesome.

What better compliment to give this fragrance than to be copied by Creed.....Seriosly why would anyone pay 5 times the price for one fifth of the longevity? So yeah, get Joop. someone mentioned similarities to Fleur de Male, and yes, it is the indolic orange blossom, and it rocks.

I love this scent so much that i got JoopZilla the Pink Monster - the 200 ml bottle. This bottle look fantastic and now dominates my collection , in a good way.

And you know what ? I never got more compliments at work from my female coworkers than on Joop, and trust me I wore everything from SL to Amouage to Killian.
    No rain, no rainbow

OOOF! I must've over-applied today or something. Instead of a nice transitioning fragrance(LOVE the heliotrope note), it became a huge mess and gave me a headache.

Banned

A good strong-floral-sweet fragrance.
    Last edited by corgan; 2nd May 2012 at 08:18 AM.

So after using this scent frequently, I can't detect the single notes anymore, it's just a huge, sweet mess to me now, not as fluid, smooth, or complex as A*Men

Maybe weather is too hot now?
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Love it! What they say about only spraying 1 sprat per outing is true...
    In all honesty, I wasn't amazed when I first sprayed it. After 2 weeks, I just can't put the stuff down.

i stopped messing with joop because it was way to popular and i had my fun with it in the 90s, but it is great smelling juice. it's the 90s 1 million. i cant see myself purchasing it again, but i wont/cant knock anyone for wearing it...even though i have become a snob.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Very true, I own both.

But the downside (or upside, depending on how you view it) Original Santal only has 1/57th the longevity of Joop - 5 hours versus 12 days.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    That, and the fact that you can buy 10 bottles of Joop for the price of 1 bottle of original santal.

- - - Updated - - -

I sprayed Joop on me one morning in an airport duty free. I took my two flights home, totaled about 10 hours. Got home, showered. Went to sleep, woke up the next morning and it was still on me. About a year later they had a big bottle of it at TJ Maxx for $15. I bought it and I just love it. The opening is a bit strong but the dry down is amazing. When I wear it, I constantly smell my wrist all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by elmalo View Post
    I sprayed Joop on me one morning in an airport duty free. I took my two flights home, totaled about 10 hours. Got home, showered. Went to sleep, woke up the next morning and it was still on me. About a year later they had a big bottle of it at TJ Maxx for $15. I bought it and I just love it. The opening is a bit strong but the dry down is amazing. When I wear it, I constantly smell my wrist all day long.
    You'll get that same amazing longevity using the weaker Joop Aftershave Splash as a cologne - it lasts well into two days.
    Regards,
    Renato

It was the first sweet male scent that became so successful.

I never bought the cologne but I always have the showergel in my bathroom.

OT Joop is just incapable of finding good names for his frags..haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    You'll get that same amazing longevity using the weaker Joop Aftershave Splash as a cologne - it lasts well into two days.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Damn. You are right. I used JOOP Aftershave just before going to bed yesterday and this morning I can still smell it. I was expecting only worst from JOOP but even if it can really be called synthetic mess (because it doesnt smell like any natural ingredient that I ever smelled), it has some kind of mysterious vibe and charisma around it. I think it have to smell great on winter night.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Wow, I'm such a douche when it comes to flip-flopping on fragrances , I'm enjoying Joop Homme a lot again, wore it for 3 days straight

it's a hate it or love it frag, seldom in between. I love it, in winter and autumn, carefully applied, of course

I dont hate this, but i just cant stand how sweet it is, it i were to spray this on i would feel like im spraying some juice or kool aid with a pound of sugar mixed in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Makassar View Post
    a nightmare made true , this perfume
    I'm afraid I have to agree. I'm pretty easy to please....most fall into the category of "for me" or "not for me." Very few really offend me, and Joop is at the top of that list. I think it's gross.