Code of Conduct

Default Ever felt like you crossed the line?

"wear anything anytime anywhere" mantra aside, ever had an occasion where you wore a scent and felt self-conscious or inappropriate?

"NO NEVER I WEAR FOR ME" answers and philosophical debates on personal space aside, I'm in for stories of times you regretted either the scent for the occasion, or maybe # sprays for the occasion, etc. (i.e. let's keep this light!)

I'll give a couple examples:

Wore 2-3 sprays of Tiffany for Men and Musc Ravageur to work on separate occasions, and both times my coworkers were visibly sniffing and sneezing with allergic responses. Felt bad and backed off on # sprays for future use (still wear MR just limit sprays; not a fan of the Tiffany anymore).

Wore LIDGE to a funeral wake because my bottle came in the mail that day, blind buy, and I couldn't resist wearing it right then and there. Ended up thinking to myself "what the hell was I thinking here?" and all self-conscious when greeting family of deceased. Felt bad about it in fact.

In no case did anyone say anything negative or rude, it was all internal on my end to self-calibrate my decisions.

Got any good stories?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Ever felt like you crossed the line?

I posted this before but it was long time ago so I'll post it again:

I wore New Haarlem to work one day. Surprisingly there were no comments in the morning but after I got back from lunch I got to the company we were auditing for that day. I kept my hoodie on because it was starting to get chilly that time of the year so I must have sweated making my fragrance project like a beast. My boss walks in and says that somebody's coffee smells really good. She starts walking around smelling people's cups (kind of weird but oh well) until finally I had to fess up that it was the fragrance I was wearing.

My most recent one was a couple of days ago when I wore Magnetism for Men. Nothing bad really happened but my other boss asked the secretary if it smelled like cotton candy in here. I don't think that fragrance smells like that but our olfactory perceptions are always different.

Drove my aunt to her cardiologist and while sitting in the waiting room amongst eight women above the age of 80,
    my perfume began to bloom. Smelled wonderful, but was incredibly strong in the small space.
    The nurse entered, sniffed and proclaimed "Someone's perfume smells fantastic!" I'm sure she was thinking it was
    one of the women, and when she realized it was me (muscular guy with a big beard) the look on her face was priceless.
    A combination of incredulity and "oops I just sh*t myself." It makes me laugh to this day!
    I smell marshmallows!

I have another story. Had a boardroom type meeting in the afternoon, and had gone home for lunch and actually worked out and showered before the meeting. Sprayed Creed MI before leaving for the meeting. While there waiting for meeting to start, one of the women said in general direction of two other women "wow someone's perfume smells terrific....is it you" looking at one of the women and then the other. She then said something like "smells like vanilla". Now it could have been one of those women wearing a vanilla scent, and I know MI smells nothing like vanilla but as noted in a post above people's olfactory perceptions are off...but I was wondering if she was sniffing my scent since I had *just* sprayed it 15 minutes earlier and put on a good dose since MI is one of those best served with generous application. And I didn't smell any vanilla or other scents in the air. Didn't say anything and didn't feel self-conscious in bad way, but made me realize "do I want to speak up here and take credit for a compliment that might be for me?" lol. Kept my mouth shut instead and smiled on the inside, but still not knowing if it was me or not.

The only time I've gotten really self conscious was while wearing Santal 33 on a really warm day. I was meeting with a guy at a moving company, and he had a really tiny office. I was wearing really light clothes, it was hot, and I was sweating. And the Santal 33 seemed to be emanating from every pore in my body. It was really overwhelming.

Compared to a lot of guys on here, I go pretty easy on the trigger...I've never come across one as potent as Santal 33.

Double post
    Last edited by A. Homme; 18th February 2013 at 05:40 AM.

Overcome By Fumes

Oops

Yeah. For example wearing Lyric and Noir de Noir to school.

It happened quite frequently before, there were times when I over-applied some of the "heavier" scents in my wardrobe.
    Even though the occasions for wearing these scents were simply parties, social gatherings, hangouts etc. with friends and the fragrance-related requirements were nowhere near being strict, I still have the feeling of having quite annoyed or displeased with excessive sillage and projection.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Homme View Post
    The only time I've gotten really self conscious was while wearing Santal 33 on a really warm day. I was meeting with a guy at a moving company, and he had a really tiny office. I was wearing really light clothes, it was hot, and I was sweating. And the Santal 33 seemed to be emanating from every pore in my body. It was really overwhelming.

Compared to a lot of guys on here, I go pretty easy on the trigger...I've never come across one as potent as Santal 33.
    Actually Santal 33 is the only perfume to display such behavior. It'll project th first hour then literally die down making it undetectable then into the 3 or 4th hour it'll project like mad.

I've actually wrote about that on here before.

for swap/sale:

No stories because no regrets.

Yup. I'm wearing Knize Ten at work today whilst wearing mustard coloured jeans, a zip-up hoodie sweatshirt and a baseball cap. I'm unshaven too. I'm quite possibly doing it all wrong but, actually, I'm secretly enjoying it! Maybe I've posted in the wrong thread
    Smelling good on a budget!

I once overapplied Leather Oud and cleared my workplace!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Santal 33 again.

After working out took a shower and dabbed Santal 33 from a Luckyscent sample more than a few times.

Then went to a great Mexican restaurant with friends and all the food smells were overwhelmed by my Santal 33 cloud of infamy. Embarrassing and a waste of Mexican food olfactory delights. Still really like Santal 33 - bought a bottle - but I'm more judicious now with its use.
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

Banned
    Blog Entries

212 h2o had everybody sneezing a few weeks ago. i sprayed it about 10 times!!!

I found Nightflight inappropriate for me to wear, even though I only wore it to go to a local shop. Just felt like a neon coloured 90s item.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Only when I found myself in an elevator after a brisk walk to the workplace. The extra body heat from the exertions amps up whatever I had on and in such an enclosed space, everybody gets more than a whiff. Needless to say I felt self conscious.

I was test driving Black Aoud on a hot summer's day and deliberately over-applied, and went out to roam the steamy streets of Toronto. I felt bad when the pigeons started dropping from the sky in a dead faint, and went home to shower it off.

It was fun for a laugh, just walking around anonymously outside, seeing people sniff the air, then moving on before they could triangulate and call the police. I'd never dream of doing it inside.

Blog Entries

I bought a 30ml bottle of Amouage Tribute Attar and opened the package in the parking lot at work b/c I was so excited. I knew it was strong, and only daubed it on my neck/chest. Well, I ended up in a small room doing some paperwork, and it was like a sauna in there. As the temp rose, my projection increased. No one said anything, but the occasional sniffs made me go outside where it was snowing, and "cool down" I returned, finished the paperwork quickly, and left.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

No, the opposite. I live alone, so over spray to my hearts content most days without fear of bothering anybody, but when I know i'm going to be around people, I tend to be over cautious to the point where I doubt people usually smell me at all.

I have over applied Prada Amber and Angel Men once before. That is all it takes to learn a lesson.

Did about 3 spary on the way out the door and went to my sons play. when i got there the a/c went out. this is in the spring in New Orleans which is warm and I started sweating profusely and my Bond no. 9 Coney Island started to project like crazy enough to think I better step out and cool off before I got request for a cool Margarita. But rarely do I feel this way, but I usually don't over apply fragrances which is subjective.

Overapplied DHI one time. That iris note can be lethal in confined spaces.

Basenotes Junkie

I am mortified when I think back to the days before I knew about olfactory fatigue. Overapply but can't smell myself a half hour later? Spray some more! Repeat...... and so on. I must have smelled ridiculous.

I always feel self conscious when I wear Kouros. I worry that I have applied too much(2-3 sprays), but when I get to where Im going I always get a compliment on it.

Also when I first got into fragrances, I know I was over applying because I was sitting in class one day and this girl who sat behind me that I didnt know was trying to get my attention by saying, "Hey, cologne guy"

I've realized I've oversprayed:

Kouros
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him
    Black Orchid
    Eau Sauvage

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    Yup. I'm wearing Knize Ten at work today whilst wearing mustard coloured jeans, a zip-up hoodie sweatshirt and a baseball cap. I'm unshaven too. I'm quite possibly doing it all wrong but, actually, I'm secretly enjoying it! Maybe I've posted in the wrong thread
    You're an icon!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    You're an icon!

Many times!

And I hate when that happens.

Lesson Learned: Go light.

Go light! 2-3 sprays is enough of any fragrance. It's supposed to add to your natural scent, not project like some kind of walking advertisment. But yes, I've made the mistake of overapplying and it gets particularly embarassing in confined spaces, like in an elevator or an airplane.

No regrets here but I'm pretty cautious with my scent choices and sprays. I wouldn't ever wear a fragrance to go on a plane, for example.

Nah, not really. Most of my scents are heavy and if I know there will be a lot of people around me and it'll be hot, I only wear fresh scents like L'eau D'issey PH

I nearly knocked myself out recently.....I wore (literally 2 tiny dabs) of vintage Egoiste edt.
    I put the two dabs on my neck and thought nothing of it.
    Well........as the hours went by this stuff seemed to go from strength to strength. After about 3 hours it became really unbearable. I had had enough. It made me feel so sick I had to wash it off. God knows what the people around me thought !

I have also crossed the line a few times in the past, wearing Jicky. One spray too many can turn you bertie and induce that dreaded "pickled farts" note. It always makes me laugh the way russian fragrance fans talk about the "poopy" clove note in Jicky.
    Last edited by david; 18th February 2013 at 11:52 PM.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Haven't done it in a really long time. I think I almost suffocated an entire classroom with Polo back when I was in graduate school. The reactions were either guarded or mildly positive. The fact that I got reactions from several rows away, after class - it was one of those theater-shaped classrooms - just meant to me that I had to back off a little next time. Nobody really complained, but the faint praise indicated to me that it was a bit much.

one time i put on 2 sparys of Td hermes at work.... never again!!

Two years back my bottle arrived in the evening (november) and I was too excited to give it a try so sprayed 4-5 heavy puffs on my chest and neck...drove my car to pick my uncle's family...after a while when they got exhausted with the beastly projection they literally rolled down the window glasses and asked me what I was wearing..Encre Noir...since then I've never sprayed more than 2 light sprays of it...
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

Over sprayed Rochas Man and was in a hurry rushing over a friend's house for dinner.... " what's that? Something's quite cloying " ... Oops ... Lol