Code of Conduct

Default Paris Notes +1st Guerlain Homme Intense Review

Today's my second day in Paris! As I'm typing this from a weird Euro-keyboard in an FNAC computer store, here's my first thoughts:

First impressions - American Airlines got me to CDG Airport 2 hours late due to a mechanical problem. After I got to my hotel, I took some photos, and then found that Parfums de Nicolai was a short walk away. I bought New York there... great scent like many on Basenotes say, and it's cheaper there than it is in the States @ €20 for 1 oz. I also found that my BlackBerry, despite pre-setting it up for global service, didn't work in France.

I also visited Guerlain this morning. Many Basenoters have wanted to hear first impressions of Guerlain Homme Intense, and I have the first review: It smells EXACTLY like Thierry Mugler's B*Men. Save your money.

Off to Sephora I go...
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Paris Notes +1st Guerlain Homme Intense Review

Guerlain Homme Intense smells absolutely *nothing* like B*Men. Unsurprisingly, it smells almost exactly like Guerlain Homme.

1) That's a weird French AZERTY keyboard. Apart from the Germans as well, the rest of Europe uses the same layout as the US.

2) Try setting your Blackberry - of possible - for GSM reception. If you're on Sprint / Verizon you're probably getting CDMA by default.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I read CDG Airport as Comme des Garcons Airport

sheesh! talk about spending too much time on basenotes LoL!

Enjoy Paris, luck you

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Many Basenoters have wanted to hear first impressions of Guerlain Homme Intense, and I have the first review: It smells EXACTLY like Thierry Mugler's B*Men. Save your money.
    Interesting. I occasionally found something B*Men-like in my Guerlain Homme EDT, but thought I was crazy. I also get the same note in L'Instant de Guerlain PH EDT. My nose is failing me, because I can almost put my finger on what it is, but I can't. D'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Interesting. I occasionally found something B*Men-like in my Guerlain Homme EDT, but thought I was crazy. I also get the same note in L'Instant de Guerlain PH EDT. My nose is failing me, because I can almost put my finger on what it is, but I can't. D'oh!
    I do too...almost a licorice-woody vibe.

I see Intense has rhubarb listed...maybe that's the link?

Basenotes Plus

A couple of B'ners, myself included have given our thoughts on Guerlain Homme Intense in this thread:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=233708

I hope you're enjoying your trip to Paris, it's such an amazing place!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    I also visited Guerlain this morning. Many Basenoters have wanted to hear first impressions of Guerlain Homme Intense, and I have the first review: It smells EXACTLY like Thierry Mugler's B*Men. Save your money.

Off to Sephora I go...
    where have you smelled the Intense version? at the Guerlain boutique on Champs Elysees?
    I didn't go there but I haven't found the Intense yet anywhere (corners at le Bon Marché and Galeries Lafayette, boutique in Marais...)

Quote Originally Posted by germanomio View Post
    where have you smelled the Intense version? at the Guerlain boutique on Champs Elysees?
    I didn't go there but I haven't found the Intense yet anywhere (corners at le Bon Marché and Galeries Lafayette, boutique in Marais...)
    The Guerlain boutique, 68 Champs Elysses.

Anyway, here's more notes:
    • Galeries Lafayette had the new Issey Miyake. A VERY green floral... nice for spring. But not on a man.
    • Serge Lutens was closed, despite the sign on the door saying that it was open. Oh well... there was always next time.
    • Most popular women's scent I could smell: Angel, by a mile, just like in Fort Wayne. Some things never change.
    • Most popular men's: 1 Million, which is not sold in Fort Wayne (YET). I had to go through four testers at the Champs-Elysees Sephora before I could find one with juice... it was that popular:
    • Yes, my BlackBerry Storm was on global GSM/HSPA/CDMA mode and not CDMA-only mode. And I'm going to raise hell with Verizon Wireless when I get home tomorrow because they promised service.
    BTW, Paris is a great city, even in non-perfume areas. In the words of a famous actor-turned-governor: "I'll be back!"
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I can see where you might first draw your initial impressions as the opening to GHI seems somewhat gourmand/oriental. This dissipates into the dry down and then you recognize it as GH. However, I've learned that I cannot handle the opening. Smells like a coffee vetiver mixed with black tire rubber and in that regard, I find it more similar to the opening of Bulgari Black.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?