Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy A sad day at Pell Wall

I've mentioned on these forums before the I live in a fairly isolated, rural location with visiting birds and an elderly, resident dog.
    17th birthday-small.jpg
    Jet, said elderly dog, achieved the remarkable milestone of her 17th birthday at the end of January. Sadly however she passed away in the early hours of Saturday morning having kept us up through the night comforting her through her final hours. For those interested I've put together a little remembrance post with a few photographs and a painting of her on my blog with a bit about her.

Being an independent perfumer is a fairly solitary affair and normally once Angela, my partner, has gone off to work I'm here on my own except for Jet. So today, with the sun shining brightly, it all seems exceptionally empty and I'm reduced to talking to myself instead of to her.
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: A sad day at Pell Wall

So sorry Chris - one of ours passed away @ 17 this year too - however many u've had it never gets any easier.

So sorry for the loss of Jet, Chris. It's obvious that you loved her dearly, and she felt the same towards you. May the flowering of the Aphrodite each year remind you of all the joy and beauty that you and Jet shared.

Be well,
    ~Seth
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry for the loss of your faithful companion of so many years! Pets leave such a hole in our lives when they die.
    They are true family members.

This is very sad news indeed. Thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks for the sympathies everyone.

Jet was the fourth Sheltie we've been owned by. It was never our plan to have just one: the first, Heidi, came with me from my parents alone and when she died we bought two puppies from the same litter, with the plan that they would always be company for each-other when we were not around. Pip and Ban were a brilliant couple of girls who loved everyone but sadly Pip died from liver failure when she was only five, so we got Jet really as company for Ban as she missed her sister so much. That worked out pretty well and they had a great time together once we moved to Pell Wall - there were rabbits!

Ban lived to be 14 and when she passed away, there was no question of getting a companion for Jet who clearly preferred to have us to herself. So now that she's gone it's all quiet - after 30 years with Shelties we shall have to find a new pair soon I think.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

Very sorry to hear the news, Chris - I lost a dog in 2000 and it's rare that a few days pass that I still don't think about her, I understand this kind of connection. It's amazing that she had such a long, full life, with obviously supportive owners. That part is pretty wonderful.
    Painting: www.johnbiebel.com | Music: www.ichigatsu.com | Recent Writing: Serge Lutens

Basenotes Plus

It's so much fun if u have 2 puppies at once!
    We're down to three at present, the old ones teach the new ones so much.
    Hope you soon have some bundles of mischief to keep you entertained - & recommend 'Simple Solution' (no connection)!

I'm so very sorry to hear about this, Chris. Seventeen years is a very long time! I have a 6 year old mutt and have no idea what I'd do without him.

Basenotes Plus

Her long life can be attributed in no small part to the caring environment you provided for her, Chris.
    I imagine her presence will still be felt for a long time to come, and your remembrance post was a very touching tribute.

So sorry to hear your sad news, Chris, losing a pet is so hard. You posted a very moving and lovely tribute on your blog.

My heartfelt condolences, Chris! I know how hard losing a pet / family member can be. However, 17 is a good age and I guess she lived a good life, so maybe you can take comfort with this thought in the back of your head. All the best,
    Felix

So sorry for your loss.

I have experienced this many times in my life, but the last time it happened, I decided to go online and search the animal shelters in cities/towns all over my area. You can literally type in exactly what kind of dog you're looking for (just as you would on a used car site). From there, you can select interesting "prospects" that match your requirements (i.e., age, colors, etc.). Most of the time they have pictures of them, so if you don't like the looks of one, you skip over it.

I wound up with 7 dogs on my list. The first one I went to see had already been sold. The second one....I hit the jackpot. I found a 3 year old Beagle (we didn't want a puppy) and my whole family knew as soon we saw him that we were going to take him. We just looked at each other and laughed because he reminded us of our dog that had just died. He was a perfect dog for us...in every way. I couldn't have been happier. When a dog of mine dies, I think there can't POSSIBLY be another like them, or as good. Well, that's true in a way. There can't be another one exactly like them. But they CAN be as good....just in different ways. The new one can and WILL help your heartache....almost immediately. It's the perfect medicine. And before you know it, you're thinking the new one might just be the best one you've ever had. Funny how that works.

I recommend this to everyone the next time your loving pet dies. Do it as SOON as possible after your pet dies or you have it put it to sleep. It's not only great for the terrible grief you feel, but in all probability, you saved the pet's life, too. Works out well for everyone.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

My FIL lost his elderly dog only a year after being widowed, and the house was so terribly quiet. He didn't have any reason to go for walks, and no one to take care of any more.

With a little urging from us, he got himself a young adult cocker spaniel that had been abandoned. The dog adored him, accompanied my FIL on his walks, and stayed by him when he died in his sleep a couple of years later. My BIL's family took him then.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 19th February 2013 at 02:34 PM.

So sorry to hear of your loss Chris. The emotional anguish of losing a pet is what has always prevented me from getting another.

Sorry for your loss Chris

I'm sorry for your loss, Chris & Angela. I am a dog lover and believe that there is a place on one's life that can't be filled by any creature other than a dog. The Pell Wall memorial page is lovely.

Sorry to hear the sad news. She was beautiful and obviously very loving (and loved).

Paul Kiler

So Sorry, My Friend...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

They have loving hold of and take a piece of our heart with them when they pass. Friends, companions, fellow beings of great worth, we love them in a very special way, and they us. And that is what it is all about.
    Last edited by kbe; 19th February 2013 at 02:37 AM.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

Basenotes Member

Sorryto hear this, Chris. The connection you had with her exudes fromyour words.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Rest in peace Jet xoxo

I'm sorry to hear this. They really are like part of the family aren't they.

Thanks for all the kind comments. Everyone has been very supportive and I really appreciate all the understanding remarks here, on my blog, Facebook and Twitter. I must admit I felt like I was being a bit mawkish putting together the blog post but it seems to have struck a chord with a lot of people.

It's the little things that keep catching you out, today it was having lunch (a ready meal out of the carton - I know I'm a heathen and deserve to discover I was eating horse) and going to put the carton on the floor for Jet . . .
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Basenotes Plus

Sorry, that will happen for a while - mine get a bit of my toast in the morning & they realised b4 me that after I'd eaten three bits it was time for theirs (as I kept keeping four for ages).

Condolences Chris. We lost our beautiful cat Baxter last summer just 6 weeks shy of her 20th birthday. Absolutely devastating. I kept thinking I saw and heard her for weeks afterwards. Terrible cliche I know but it does get easier. I still miss Baxter, but we got a couple of kittens from a rescue centre last November and they have helped to fill the void - chiefly by being such a handful I don't have time to dwell on anything else! I hope you feel better soon, and will feel able to give a loving home to another dog when the time is right.

touching. my condolences, chris.

Sorry to hear that Chris. A hug from me.
    Currently wearing: Gilda by Pierre Wulff