Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy A sad day at Pell Wall

I've mentioned on these forums before the I live in a fairly isolated, rural location with visiting birds and an elderly, resident dog.
    17th birthday-small.jpg
    Jet, said elderly dog, achieved the remarkable milestone of her 17th birthday at the end of January. Sadly however she passed away in the early hours of Saturday morning having kept us up through the night comforting her through her final hours. For those interested I've put together a little remembrance post with a few photographs and a painting of her on my blog with a bit about her.

Being an independent perfumer is a fairly solitary affair and normally once Angela, my partner, has gone off to work I'm here on my own except for Jet. So today, with the sun shining brightly, it all seems exceptionally empty and I'm reduced to talking to myself instead of to her.
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Default Re: A sad day at Pell Wall

So sorry Chris - one of ours passed away @ 17 this year too - however many u've had it never gets any easier.

So sorry for the loss of Jet, Chris. It's obvious that you loved her dearly, and she felt the same towards you. May the flowering of the Aphrodite each year remind you of all the joy and beauty that you and Jet shared.

Be well,
    ~Seth
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

I'm sorry for the loss of your faithful companion of so many years! Pets leave such a hole in our lives when they die.
    They are true family members.

This is very sad news indeed. Thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks for the sympathies everyone.

Jet was the fourth Sheltie we've been owned by. It was never our plan to have just one: the first, Heidi, came with me from my parents alone and when she died we bought two puppies from the same litter, with the plan that they would always be company for each-other when we were not around. Pip and Ban were a brilliant couple of girls who loved everyone but sadly Pip died from liver failure when she was only five, so we got Jet really as company for Ban as she missed her sister so much. That worked out pretty well and they had a great time together once we moved to Pell Wall - there were rabbits!

Ban lived to be 14 and when she passed away, there was no question of getting a companion for Jet who clearly preferred to have us to herself. So now that she's gone it's all quiet - after 30 years with Shelties we shall have to find a new pair soon I think.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

Very sorry to hear the news, Chris - I lost a dog in 2000 and it's rare that a few days pass that I still don't think about her, I understand this kind of connection. It's amazing that she had such a long, full life, with obviously supportive owners. That part is pretty wonderful.
    Painting: www.johnbiebel.com | Music: www.ichigatsu.com | Recent Writing: Serge Lutens

It's so much fun if u have 2 puppies at once!
    We're down to three at present, the old ones teach the new ones so much.
    Hope you soon have some bundles of mischief to keep you entertained - & recommend 'Simple Solution' (no connection)!

I'm so very sorry to hear about this, Chris. Seventeen years is a very long time! I have a 6 year old mutt and have no idea what I'd do without him.

Basenotes Plus

Her long life can be attributed in no small part to the caring environment you provided for her, Chris.
    I imagine her presence will still be felt for a long time to come, and your remembrance post was a very touching tribute.

Basenotes Plus

So sorry to hear your sad news, Chris, losing a pet is so hard. You posted a very moving and lovely tribute on your blog.

My sincerest apologies for you loss sir.
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

My heartfelt condolences, Chris! I know how hard losing a pet / family member can be. However, 17 is a good age and I guess she lived a good life, so maybe you can take comfort with this thought in the back of your head. All the best,
    Felix

So sorry for your loss.

I have experienced this many times in my life, but the last time it happened, I decided to go online and search the animal shelters in cities/towns all over my area. You can literally type in exactly what kind of dog you're looking for (just as you would on a used car site). From there, you can select interesting "prospects" that match your requirements (i.e., age, colors, etc.). Most of the time they have pictures of them, so if you don't like the looks of one, you skip over it.

I wound up with 7 dogs on my list. The first one I went to see had already been sold. The second one....I hit the jackpot. I found a 3 year old Beagle (we didn't want a puppy) and my whole family knew as soon we saw him that we were going to take him. We just looked at each other and laughed because he reminded us of our dog that had just died. He was a perfect dog for us...in every way. I couldn't have been happier. When a dog of mine dies, I think there can't POSSIBLY be another like them, or as good. Well, that's true in a way. There can't be another one exactly like them. But they CAN be as good....just in different ways. The new one can and WILL help your heartache....almost immediately. It's the perfect medicine. And before you know it, you're thinking the new one might just be the best one you've ever had. Funny how that works.

I recommend this to everyone the next time your loving pet dies. Do it as SOON as possible after your pet dies or you have it put it to sleep. It's not only great for the terrible grief you feel, but in all probability, you saved the pet's life, too. Works out well for everyone.

Blog Entries

My FIL lost his elderly dog only a year after being widowed, and the house was so terribly quiet. He didn't have any reason to go for walks, and no one to take care of any more.

With a little urging from us, he got himself a young adult cocker spaniel that had been abandoned. The dog adored him, accompanied my FIL on his walks, and stayed by him when he died in his sleep a couple of years later. My BIL's family took him then.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 19th February 2013 at 02:34 PM.

So sorry to hear of your loss Chris. The emotional anguish of losing a pet is what has always prevented me from getting another.

Sorry for your loss Chris

I'm sorry for your loss, Chris & Angela. I am a dog lover and believe that there is a place on one's life that can't be filled by any creature other than a dog. The Pell Wall memorial page is lovely.

Sorry to hear the sad news. She was beautiful and obviously very loving (and loved).

So Sorry, My Friend...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

They have loving hold of and take a piece of our heart with them when they pass. Friends, companions, fellow beings of great worth, we love them in a very special way, and they us. And that is what it is all about.
    Last edited by kbe; 19th February 2013 at 02:37 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Basenotes Member

Sorryto hear this, Chris. The connection you had with her exudes fromyour words.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Rest in peace Jet xoxo

I'm sorry to hear this. They really are like part of the family aren't they.

Thanks for all the kind comments. Everyone has been very supportive and I really appreciate all the understanding remarks here, on my blog, Facebook and Twitter. I must admit I felt like I was being a bit mawkish putting together the blog post but it seems to have struck a chord with a lot of people.

It's the little things that keep catching you out, today it was having lunch (a ready meal out of the carton - I know I'm a heathen and deserve to discover I was eating horse) and going to put the carton on the floor for Jet . . .
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Sorry, that will happen for a while - mine get a bit of my toast in the morning & they realised b4 me that after I'd eaten three bits it was time for theirs (as I kept keeping four for ages).

Condolences Chris. We lost our beautiful cat Baxter last summer just 6 weeks shy of her 20th birthday. Absolutely devastating. I kept thinking I saw and heard her for weeks afterwards. Terrible cliche I know but it does get easier. I still miss Baxter, but we got a couple of kittens from a rescue centre last November and they have helped to fill the void - chiefly by being such a handful I don't have time to dwell on anything else! I hope you feel better soon, and will feel able to give a loving home to another dog when the time is right.

touching. my condolences, chris.

Sorry to hear that Chris. A hug from me.

Thanks everyone. It's been a trying week, but not all sadness.

We took the decision to investigate Sheltie breeders earlier in the week and found a litter of puppies in Wrexham: two of them chose us and they will be coming to live at Pell Wall tomorrow morning. They were born in a family home, cared for by kind humans. We got to meet their mother, grandmother and dad, who were all lovely animals, well adjusted and obviously well cared for and loved.

We hope to be owned by the twins for many years to come, though they are going to have to go some to better Jet's extraordinary achievement.

I'll post some puppy-pictures on the blog in due course, putting together a more cheerful montage (I was going to put some up here of Jet as a puppy but the size restriction makes it too difficult).
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Oh Chris, sorry to hear about your wee Sheltie, Jet. My condolences.

Congratulations on the new members of your family. Yes, do post a picture soon.

Good luck with your new owners. It will be tincture of tiny doggy widdle for a while... beats civet anyday... get the scruffy towels out and the playpen....

Sorry to hear about your loss, Chris. Hope the new puppies help you fill the void left by Jet.

Basenotes Plus

((Chris)) just saw this. What a great life and people Jet had.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

bleu autumn haze

So sorry to hear about the passing of your beautiful Jet. You blog page was very moving and it brought back memories of our wonderful Sheltie, Max. Max has been gone 10 years now, but I still miss that little guy every day.

Congratulations on the new additions to your family. I'm sure Jet had a hand in leading you to each other. We would love to see some pictures.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, Chris *hugs!* Enjoy the puppy cuteness
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations

You are fortunate to have found new companions, and puppies at that! Let the cuteness and cuddliness begin... A couple years ago I adopted a 3 year old beautiful, black miniature poodle. She goes between mine and my S.O.'s home as he is semi-retired and is able to take care of her while I'm at work. She is a cosmopolitan dog of the world who lives to chase squirrels, rabbits, cats, frisbees, and tennis balls. Her name is Curly. David and I agree that we could not survive very well without Curly in our lives.

Basenotes Member

Dear Chris,

Sending peaceful, healing energy for your household and Jet's spirit...and revivifying energy for you to keep up with those new pups!

After we had to put our beautiful Standard Poodle, Mason, to sleep in December 2011, finishing a container of yogurt or cottage cheese made me weepy for months - no more poodle to lick it out. ;__;
    "Just as the waters of all the great oceans of the world have but one taste, the taste of salt, so too do all true teachings have but one taste - the taste of liberation." --The Buddha

Sorry about your loss Chris

Maybe you will be able to make a fragrance in Jet's memory ?
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Again, thank you everyone for the thoughtful comments. We have three new owners here now: a five year old Blue Merle called Bridget who sold herself to Angela when we went to collect the puppies - Indie and Jazz - boy and girl respectively.

They are exhausting between them, but of course puppies are always a delight and Bridget is a very beautiful, gentle creature. I've not been getting a great deal of work done since they took over, hence my contributions here have been a bit sparse. For the same reason I've not put together a blog post with pictures, but I have tweeted quite a lot (#puppies, @pellwallperfume) and if you don't use twitter you can see the pictures in the twitter-feed on the About page of my website and on the left hand column of my blog. There are a couple of dozen pictures, and I have loads more taken with my iPhone that I'll tweet at intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by The Smelly Scientist View Post
    Sorry about your loss Chris

Maybe you will be able to make a fragrance in Jet's memory ?
    Despite the new arrivals I miss Jet very much and I have been giving some thought to a perfume in her memory, so that may happen in time.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Ooooh, jealous!
    Thought you might have your hands full - enjoy - at last, it's outside weather

Scent idea sounds cool too - might not have time for a bit though?

Congratulations on your new arrivals. Have fun in the sunshine with them. I meant to ask how the poem thing went.

Basenotes Member

Chris, your homage to Jet on your blog is lovely and so touching. Sounds like her life was as happy as any creature's life could be. Congratulations on your three new Sheltie supervisors. They are a-dog-able and I'm sure they're keeping you busy. I also very much relate to your sensibility vis-a-vis your creatures. We "have" two mini-dachshunds, and they think of us as their personal assistants. You don't know me from Adam (although I know and appreciate your posts here), but was so touched by your dog story (which I just discovered today, and which sent me on a one-day emotional roller-coaster!) that I had to send you best wishes. Enjoy your new creatures! - Jen.

So sorry to hear about your loss Chris - Jet was a beautiful shelty (I had a look at your remembrance post) and seems to have been a great and much loved companion.

Congratulations on the new family members and looking forward to photos of them.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Ooooh, jealous!
    Thought you might have your hands full - enjoy - at last, it's outside weather

Scent idea sounds cool too - might not have time for a bit though?
    No time for anything much besides puppies at the moment, indeed, so it will be a while before I get back to creative projects that don't have a customer.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Congratulations on your new arrivals. Have fun in the sunshine with them. I meant to ask how the poem thing went.
    Thanks, they are great! The Penning Perfumes event went very well - I really enjoyed it - and I've incorporated Sticky Leather Sky into my range (not on the website yet - that's another thing I've got behind with - but it's in the shop & gallery and available by emailing me, but the link will take you to details on my blog including the poem it was inspired by).

Quote Originally Posted by jensz View Post
    Chris, your homage to Jet on your blog is lovely and so touching. Sounds like her life was as happy as any creature's life could be. Congratulations on your three new Sheltie supervisors. They are a-dog-able and I'm sure they're keeping you busy. I also very much relate to your sensibility vis-a-vis your creatures. We "have" two mini-dachshunds, and they think of us as their personal assistants. You don't know me from Adam (although I know and appreciate your posts here), but was so touched by your dog story (which I just discovered today, and which sent me on a one-day emotional roller-coaster!) that I had to send you best wishes. Enjoy your new creatures! - Jen.
    Thank you Jen, I found it cathartic to write and collect the pictures together.

Quote Originally Posted by Plaisir View Post
    So sorry to hear about your loss Chris - Jet was a beautiful shelty (I had a look at your remembrance post) and seems to have been a great and much loved companion.

Congratulations on the new family members and looking forward to photos of them.
    Thank you. Eventually there will be a proper blog post with a montage, but meanwhile I'm tweeting pictures (because I can do that while I'm taking them into the garden). If you don't use twitter you can see them on the About page of my site.

BE_2mmACcAAUWmk.jpg
    Those who have been following me on Twitter may already know that the dog situation recently became even more complicated: by accident I looked at a refreshed page of the site where we found the breeder of our puppies and was there confronted with a picture of the very first puppy who introduced himself to me when we went to choose two, with a big tag-line saying The Last Puppy. He's the smallest of the second of two litters of puppies and he'd made himself known by sitting back and looking up at me while all the others were leaping over each-other at the front of the pen . . .

You can see where this story is going can't you? I couldn't bear the thought of him all alone and so, after a short discussion, we invited him to come and live with his brother and sister. He arrived late on Friday night and I'm pleased to say Bridget, Jazz and Indie all gave him an enthusiastic welcome. We've spent the weekend wondering what on earth we've let ourselves in for and trying to sort out the right name for him: in the end we settled on Jungle, which seems to fit him.

So we have gone, in the space of a month, from one sedate and elderly lady to none, to three and now to four manic young Shelties!
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Wow, that's a lovely story
    Puppies always look so 'innocent' (the way their little faces look at you,anyway) - have a lovely time getting to know your new family members!

FOUR..... you big softie!

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    FOUR..... you big softie!
    Guilty as charged.

They've been creating mayhem today: having got us up at ten to five this morning they were pretty good with the early walks but on their mid-morning outing two of them, Indie and Jazz found a way out of the garden (through a rabbit burrow) and had me climbing through hedges & over fences to get them back, only to disappear out again through a different hole moments after I'd rescued them.

By the time I'd sorted all that out I was feeling quite ragged and brought them inside where they all helpfully pooed in the hall - as fast as I flushed one lot another was at it - I'm sure they thought it was great fun.

Anyway the sun shone so I let them back out (after I'd blocked up all the rabbit holes I could discover) and they had a good time playing for ages but I though it was time I got them back in so I could do some work and while I carried in the two boys, Jazz jumped into the pond . . . which of course is still freezing. So I rescued her and got her back in for a hot bath.

I got some stuff done for a couple of hours, fed Bridget, the adult dog, while the puppies were all asleep and then let them out to say hello to my gardener, who had arrived to do some work: lots of wags and leaping about followed until in due course Jungle (the smaller of the two boys) also managed to fall in the pond, so another bath was called for. Meanwhile Indie and Jazz went off in search of the gardener and found him standing in the gateway - naturally they ran straight past him into the front garden - we caught one each and bundled them back inside where they are now sleeping off their adventures.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Haha - every pup we've had (except an almost blind one) has fallen in the pond - they don't seem to realise that the duckweed isn't grass, maybe

Lovely story.

That is just hilarious. Sounds like having small children. Luckily dogs grow up faster.

Banned

hahaha sounds like a fun day at Pell Wall!....4 puppies omg!!.... they must be nice company to eachother

If two have gone into a frozen pond, then watch out for the lost wag.
    If you got them into the bath so fast it probably won't happen.

Ours jumped into some putrid freezing water during a long walk thinking it was just a puddle. It went up to his neck and he was green and minging all the way home in the car. The next day his tail looked broken and it hurt him to wag. He looked so sad with a droopy tail. Luckily the farmers wife recognised it and saved us an x ray. The freezing water causes their tail muscles to contract whilst they are using them as a rudder, and it is severe muscle strain with inflammation. You have to keep them warm and give anti inflammatories.

Happily no wags were lost in the making of this comedy.

Indie, the larger of the pups, is still fascinated by the pond and managed to get his nose down to the water and slipped - only the end of his nose went in - he leapt out backwards and spent the next 15 minutes dancing about and shaking his head: pond weed in the nose I think.

The whole troupe were off to the vet this morning for check-ups, vaccinations and chipping: all things considered they were pretty well behaved, but containing three puppies and one nervous dog was a challenge. The vaccinations are out of step so they have to go back next week and the week after to complete them all: endless fun for all the family.

Meanwhile much rolling in poo meant the two smaller pups had to be showered today: they seem much happier with showers than baths so that's the practice now unless emergency warming is required.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

With tails like this, I have to say you have my great respect... maybe you are just barking! Lol

If I'm ever passing I must remember to bring my marigolds...... Please put a piccy here?

You have really gotten in deep it seems. Well, the more, the merrier. Maybe you should set up a little agility course on your land. I've seen Shelties perform at agility trials and they are quite impressive.

What is it with dogs and poop? My dog's guilty pleasure is eating cat poop whenever possible. I can always tell when she's indulged herself because as soon as she sees me she lowers her ears, head, and tail and slinks instead of prancing.

OK so here are a couple of pictures:

First here are the puppies this morning celebrating their return from the vet and being re-united with Bridget by bounding about in the sunshine.

sunshine-after-visiting-vet-small.jpg

and here you can see the new owners attending a Pell Wall Shareholders Meeting and finding it all a bit tedious.

bored-meeting-small.jpg

The vet visit is because two of them developed a very nasty dose of diarrhoea over the weekend, probably from all the rubbish they stick their puppy-noses into in the garden. The plus-point from which is they are doing a lot more sleeping than normally, the minus point hardly needs further elaboration but for comedy value you might visualise me wandering about after them in the garden as they strain, collecting positively identified poo samples for analysis by the vet . . .

There is a short video of them all playing in the snow, very early on Saturday morning on my Facebook Page too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Bartlett; 18th March 2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: minor corrections
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

The older dog must be sooooo happy. She has a litter to keep for herself.

Doggie D = rice and plain chicken until it eases. Soon does the trick. It's the starch in the rice for 'that' and the chicken for the protein.

I want to come to a Pell Wall Shareholders Meeting...

Wot! No Bickies!

Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

No bickies if you don't bring your marigolds with you.....