Code of Conduct

Default This site is the devil!!!!

Ever since I joined this site, collecting and buying random colognes is the new hobbie. Im up to 20 bottles now lol Its not bad, just kind of funny. Blind Buying is getting out of hand hehe

Default Re: This site is the devil!!!!

Exciting, isn't it?

But bro, ya gotta admit... it's kind of fun. You could do alot worse than being a fraghead.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

oh no, I totally dig it.

Devil, yes - And if you find your soul fragrance, an heavenly smelling scent, it's so good it makes you wonder if it's from heaven or hell.....
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

STOP RIGHT NOW!!!! YOU'LL THANK ME LATER! Chances are you've already discovered your fave and it will only go downhill from here.

Welcome! 20 bottles in a month is grt!

If you plan to keep this speed going - Did you start looking for your 2nd job yet

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    STOP RIGHT NOW!!!! YOU'LL THANK ME LATER! Chances are you've already discovered your fave and it will only go downhill from here.

I think youre correct. If I get bored, I buy cologne! FML... I wont buy cologne til Lent is over. Hows that sound?

- - - Updated - - -

My favorite that I owned is Calvin Klein Encounter. Need a good 5 spays though. Too day sexy

and least is

Bond 9 Love Ny for all. Some crap like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Welcome! 20 bottles in a month is grt!

If you plan to keep this speed going - Did you start looking for your 2nd job yet
    Thank goodness for ebay!

Welcome! With CK's Encounter you might need to buy 20 bottles of the same fragrance since it's so short lived, Lol I do like Encounter's opening. Now if they could get the longevity up there with what they did on CK One Shock, it would be ok.

Can't wait until Bloomberg bans basenotes.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Incontinent View Post
    Can't wait until Bloomberg bans basenotes.
    mayor bloomberg isnt going to ban basenotes.

he's just going to limit us to buying 1.7 oz bottles.

This.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Exciting, isn't it?
    A*Men

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post

Hahaha.... +1, brotato.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Basenotes Plus

Buying colognes is an addiction, a disease. I am currently in a 12 step program myself and don't see me getting out of this hell hole anytime soon , but at least I smell damn good. J/K

It's better than buying scratch off's.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    Welcome! With CK's Encounter you might need to buy 20 bottles of the same fragrance since it's so short lived, Lol I do like Encounter's opening. Now if they could get the longevity up there with what they did on CK One Shock, it would be ok.
    I agree, girls sniff at the neck. Let me tell you! Kind of like theyre doing a line off it type of sniff too. No lies.

Dependent

+1 to brotato

Problem is, if they have made it to this site to see this it is already too late! lol

And year ago I was happy with just one bottle Calvin Klein Euphoria LOL, and then I find this site.........

For my senses its heavenly..for my pocket its devil...I don't think it will end but I wish it should (the hobby..of course)..but I know it wont
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Kielecki View Post
    And year ago I was happy with just one bottle Calvin Klein Euphoria LOL, and then I find this site.........
    LOL I had that and its horrible

for swap/sale:

^Haha this picture is apt.

I'm looking for a new job to fund this hobby of mine

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Buying colognes is an addiction, a disease. I am currently in a 12 step program myself and don't see me getting out of this hell hole anytime soon , but at least I smell damn good. J/K
    By the Grace of God you'll be able to overcome this disease and smell bad again.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

Poor b&$....d. You should have taken the blue pill..

I've had only 1 for the last 4 years..started about 7 months ago ..i think i got around 9 -10 bottles now..
    I'm sampling alot!
    Really want aventus....and Virgin island water...and dolce gabbana the one..and..

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Poor b&$....d. You should have taken the blue pill..
    good one.

In fact, over time, as I gradually learned how to become accustomed to and benefit from this site, it helped me get a good price-quality ratio for my fragrance purchases and avoid costly (and not just financially speaking) choices in terms of fragrances.

Reminds me of my own beginning Come to think of it, it's been a while since I purchased something...

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Kielecki View Post
    I used to be a one bottle man myself, and a bottle would last me about a year. Evry X-mas I'd get a new bottle (Nautica/CK/Hilfiger etc.) And then I discovered Basenotes. Thankfully I haven't got started with niche...YET.

Good one!

I think after my first few months of being on the site and all the buying up of samples, decants, splits, and bottles, I've slowed down a bit now (or at least I would like to), since I have a few select bottles lined up for purchase that will take a bit of time to afford. Still, I think I have done well for myself, thanks to the fragrance community and some friends around here.

Basenotes Member

Lol now that's a Good one!

- - - Updated - - -

I used to think Polo Blue was the best there was now I'm looking a bottles of CROWN PERFUMERY CROWN IMPERIAL! and Creed!

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    By the Grace of God you'll be able to overcome this disease and smell bad again.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    That made me chuckle

On topic: Had always been a one-cologne guy. Bought Terre d'Hermes in late 2011. No going back from there. About a year and a half later my collection is over twenty bottles and around a hundred samples. Just received three FBs in the mail and already sniffing around for the next sample pack. I don't think I've ever had a hobby that's spiraled out of control as fast as this one, which makes it doubly amazing when I see people on BN - relative newbies like me - whose collections have ballooned five times as fast as mine has. I guess if smell is the "lost sense" like LT postulates, then rediscovering it probably has a rather universal draw.

Most of my friends have just one cologne (if that), generally used only for special occasions, so my comparative shelfload of bottles is something of an anomaly. By and large they've shown a great deal of interest in my burgeoning obsession, though. I've had good fun matching scents to people. One brotato of mine has made my bottle of La Nuit such a signature of his that I might as well just give him the damn thing. Another one, smelling Sycomore for the first time a few days ago, immediately went online and ordered it, his eyes distant with deranged longing.

None of them have braved Basenotes yet, but I think they can tell that that way lies a vortex with no immediately apparent exit sign...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    In fact, over time, as I gradually learned how to become accustomed to and benefit from this site, it helped me get a good price-quality ratio for my fragrance purchases and avoid costly (and not just financially speaking) choices in terms of fragrances.
    Spoken like a true fellow addict!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Turn back now and run!!! Run, while you still have a fighting chance. Otherwise, you will find yourself heading towards the fragrance abyss.

Fun thread!

Before discovering the forums at basenotes, I was a 1-bottle 3-spray guy (4 max). I wore Curve, and though most here would never believe this, I got a ridiculous amount of compliments from it. It's funny, really. I now own bottles from Andy Tauer, Creed, Tom Ford, etc, plus tons of samples from Amouage, Yosh, Bond, etc, but I still wear Curve from time to time and I still get compliments when I do.

Basenotes helped me to realize the difference between scents to wear for me, scents to wear for someone else, and scents to wear for different occasions. I never thought about that sort of thing before discovering basenotes. Now, those thoughts play a huge role in what I wear and even what I buy. I'm going to the theater tonight with a group of friends, one of whom will be my blind date (which could go well or could be a disaster!). I'm going to play it charmingly safe with Gucci Pour Homme II.

Another interesting thing I've learned since joining the forum is the difference between looking good online and smelling good offline. Online, people are more into niche and (especially on youtube) hype. Offline, it seems that most men don't wear scents at all, and when they do, they pick aquatics or sport scents, or very trendy stuff if women will be around. It amazes me how important is it to some people to follow the herd online. I'm not that guy. And it amazes me how some people wear scent with the subtlety of an air-raid siren. I'm not that guy either.

If I had the money, I could easily be all about niche. There are so many amazing perfumers whose work I'd love to own so much of... but my budget is limited, and that brings up another thing I love about basenotes.

Yeah, it's easy to go broke thanks to basenotes, but it's also easy to find amazing bargains here, and I love that. After a while, I started noticing people who have very expensive taste recommending things like Bergamotto Marino, which can be had for around $30, or Caron le3, which can be had for even less. Sure, there's a lot of cheap perfume trash, but there are some amazing bargains as well and basenotes seems like the best way to find them. This is where I found what has become my favorite masculine rose: Ungaro III. And it's a bargain. Yes, I've splurged on some expensive bottles, but I also wear things like Bvlgari Black, Lucky Number 6 and Hanae Mori HM, none of which I paid more than $30 for. Zirh Corduroy cost me $10 and it's been a compliment magnet for me. Ugly bottle. Great scent.

I don't tend to talk about perfume with my friends since they're not into it, but my female friends almost always notice how I smell, and they often comment the same way they'd comment on each others shoes ("Ooh, very nice" but not followed by a conversation about it)... and my male friends always notice that the women notice. I get a kick out of that. Dudes don't comment on how other dudes smell I guess, but every now and then one of them will ask for a recommendation - always before a date, usually by text or email.

Last, but maybe best of all, basenotes is how I discovered the world of samples. It's helpful to try before you buy, but I have another reason why I love samples: dating! If you'd told me a year ago that I'd occasionally bring dates back to my place to smell perfume, I'd have thought you were nuts. But it's happened a few times recently and it's been so much fun. I'll open a bottle of wine and bring out the sample vials... and I never ever comment on one until I've let my date sniff and give her opinion. SO! MUCH! FUN! And since they're samples, not bottles, there's no chance for presentation to cloud someone's opinion. For example, I've learned that if I hand a woman my bottle of Aventus, she'll usually really like the scent. But if she smells it without seeing the bottle, the opinions are rarely as high. Zirh Corduroy: if someone sees the bottle, they usually think it smells ok ("nice"). But if they smell my sample, they rave about it without even realizing it's the same stuff. Bottles really play a larger role in people's first impressions than most realize.

I'm in a rush, so hopefully I didn't ramble too much.... tl;dr: Basenotes, for me, has been a marvelous learning experience
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 9th March 2013 at 12:03 AM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

because of this site..... i smell damn good while munching on 2 minute noodles
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Anglique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Quote Originally Posted by HDDP View Post
    because of this site..... i smell damn good while munching on 2 minute noodles
    Comments like THAT are why basenotes needs a like button!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

This you OP?

[img]http://***********************/instances/400x/35115573.jpg[/img]

Nice ! I can relate to this.

In a wardrobe far far away......

- - - Updated - - -

In a wardrobe far far away......
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

My woman desperately searched for and caught me going into the perfume store with the mortgage money. My nose was twitching and my hands were shaking. She gently guided me back out to the parking lot.
    My Starting Lineup: MI, Pure Malt, GIT, LIDGE, Clive Christian C, LaNuit, Royal Oud, Aventus, Guerlain Homme Intense, L'Humaniste, VIW, D & G PH, Jardin d' Amalfi, DHI, Clive Christian X,, Bentley Intense, Bois du Portugal. Signature Scent: L'homme

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Scent View Post
    A*Men
    Lol! Very sharp

I agree with all the other posters on this thread.. I always had an interest in fragrances but would only try what i saw in the chemist (drugstore) so my choice was fairly limited.. then i discovered basenotes and cheapsmells and i have quickly found myself lost in a beautiful smelling world of fragrances i would never have known about. I sometimes blind buy( usually cheapish fragrances ) with some success and some failures and my wife on seeing the latest packet arrive in the postbox says " oh no.. not again" you are sick, you need help..
    Thank you Basenotes.. and basenoters

I must admit, when I saw the title of this thread, I misunderstood. After trying for 15min. to connect to BN only to keep getting DATABASE ERRORS, I was sure this site IS THE DEVIL! Since about Christmas, I figure I am only able to have a trouble-free browsing experience on BN about 40% of the time. Any company that can't find "the problem" after working on it for almost a year must be run by chimpanzees. Come on Grant...