Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default USPS' Perfume Crackdown March 1; No Air/Priority Shipments

Got into it at the local post office while mailing an item. An apparent crackdown is now planned to start 3/1, at least from the memo to employees I got to informally transcribe. The info poster is already up at my local office. No perfume shipments. The employee quietly recommended UPS ground, which still works.

The details:

In accordance with international aviation regulations, the U.S. Postal Service will commence a public information campaign on Mar. 1 to remind postal customers that shipments of perfume and other alcohol-based cosmetics are hazardous and cannot be shipped through the U.S. mail.

Information posters created last fall will be on display in most post offices and mail kiosks advising consumers of prohibited or restricted items that cannot be shipped. Postal employees will also inquire about the contents of mailed packages to determine if a hazardous substance is included.

Perfumes and other alcohol based cosmetics have been restricted for several years, but these shipments often went undetected. During air transport, these items can leak or be otherwise damaged, creating a hazard.

Consumers may wish to consider a private ground-based delivery service for sending and receiving these items. Intentional mailing of hazardous items is a federal crime subject to fines and other penalties. Items may be seized and destroyed unreturned to the sender.

Default Re: USPS' Perfume Crackdown March 1; No Air/Priority Shipments

Hazard? I'd say hardly, but I'm not an expert. Looks like we'll have to start putting stuff like paper clips in with bottles so that they don't suspect anything.

Damn in quick succession UK & US down the the tubes! Local prices here are damn expensive!

Basenotes Plus

see existing thread:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/324...ipping-Perfume

At least your lot gave u some notice b4 destroying your goods!

Making it very tough for us.

What if a package containing perfume breaks because of bad treatment and spills all over other customers stuff...
    BAN PERFUME, IS DANGEROUS!
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

You'd think the USPS would take all the business it could get.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Basenotes Plus

@ OctaVariuM They're allegedly x-raying over here!
    Paper clips might be confusing enough to have the package opened!

What exactly does this regulation mean? Will all you folks in the States be unable to:

1) Recieve perfumes from abroad?
    or
    2) Send perfumes within the USA?
    or
    3) Send perfumes from USA to other parts of the world?

or is it a combination of the aforementioned?

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

With all the disasters fragrance sent via US mail has caused* no wonder!

*Google search using "fragrance US mail fire explosion" or "alcohol US mail fire explosion" or "perfume US mail fire explosion" or "cologne US mail fire explosion = 0 of any relevance

Does anyone have a documented incident to share?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    @ OctaVariuM They're allegedly x-raying over here!
    Paper clips might be confusing enough to have the package opened!
    uncooked small pasta pieces or rice work very well if given enough room to rattle in the package

US Mortality 2011

All unintentional injury deaths
    Number of deaths: 120,859
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 39.1
    Cause of death rank: 5

Unintentional fall deaths
    Number of deaths: 26,009

Deaths per 100,000 population: 8.4
    Motor vehicle traffic deaths
    Number of deaths: 33,687

Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.9
    Unintentional poisoning deaths
    Number of deaths: 33,041
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.7

Funny...the Fire/explosion deaths from shipped USPO fragrances seems to be missing in the extended list not shown.

So, is the USPO going to ban flammable paper box package wrapping and paper letters, paper flyers, paper postcards, paper stamps and their own paper based Express Mail wrappings because they possibly pose a fire/explosion hazard? Seems like this ban is just another poorly thought out and self defeating bureaucratic decision by an organization hellbent on shooting itself in the foot over and over again.

In keeping with the USPOs logic I would strongly suggest the USPO mandate all postal workers uniforms have fire retardant chemicals added after each wash, by the employee or cleaning service, to help contain the horror of the ever present danger of spontaneous combustion by postal workers themselves.
    Last edited by kbe; 19th February 2013 at 03:21 PM.
    There are three kinds of people in this world: those who understand math and those who don't (four out of three people surveyed agree with this).

I usually ship usps priority because it's by far the cheapest and fastest. If I use UPS, I typically end up spending at least twice the cost and it can take twice as long to reach its destination. I know a lot small mom and pop shops use USPS so it's going to be interesting, if all that business is forced to UPS/FedEx, what the impacts will be on bottom line cost for products and how much longer USPS clings to life - they already have deals with the other carriers for partial transport.

Quote Originally Posted by SusyQ View Post
    What exactly does this regulation mean?
    It means we're all criminals for dealing in this illegal hobby of..... perfume.

Basenotes Plus

@kbe Hehe!

@ rum - maybe we ought to take up knitting?
    Only kidding.
    Last edited by lpp; 19th February 2013 at 02:36 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Imagine waiting weeks for fragrance samples to arrive via surface mail from across the globe. Maybe it will give the BN website time to catch up...

Btw fragrance is as flammable on land as it is in the air. So why the discrimination against air shipment? Pressurized cabin vs non pressurized cargo hold?

Why stop there? Why not stop serving alcoholic drinks on board commercial flights altogether?
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 19th February 2013 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    I know a lot small mom and pop shops use USPS so it's going to be interesting, if all that business is forced to UPS/FedEx, what the impacts will be on bottom line cost for products and how much longer USPS clings to life - they already have deals with the other carriers for partial transport.
    It should be very interesting indeed.

A few addendum:

1) Mailing alcohol-based fragrances has technically been prohibited for a long time, but obviously was overlooked by both shippers and individuals. Since the vast majority of parcels have never been searched or examined, these boxes literally flew under the radar.

2) This is an information campaign, no doubt triggered by the same international aviation organization that is causing problems in Britain. The difference seems to be that the USPS is not budgeting any additional resources for inspectors or other examination of packages. Without this, my guess is the only deterrence planned will be informational posters and front line personnel questioning mailers. If you tell them cosmetics and essentially lie about the contents, unless they open the package, it will probably travel the same way it always has.

3) The USPS technically bans all fragrance shipments, ground or air. Private delivery companies (UPS, FedEx) seem to allow them but only if shipped by ground delivery. Priority Mail via the USPS is almost always air-shipped unless the mailer is within a short radius from the recipient.

I have received leaking bottles of fragrance (and especially decanted samples) that no doubt failed when shipped via air, especially in the winter months. My guess is cargo holds are both unheated and the pressurization system is different, which causes the liquid to expand and/or leak. While this has really posed nothing more than a fragrance overload hazard, these regs were also designed to protect against terrorists using fragrance bottles to hold a liquid explosive. Fragrances are also flammable.

The solution to this may be specially designed shipping containers that can contain any damage done by an improvised device or some sort of on-board fire.

From everything I see, the risks for all concerned are minimal. If you intend to continue to use the USPS for shipments, you will have to decide, if asked, whether to fully disclose the package contents. Your biggest risk will be at the service counter, where a USPS employee may choose to open and inspect the package prior to accepting it. Pack shipments well, so they don't rattle or raise suspicion, and I doubt very much this change will mean anything for the vast majority of people. The risk of confiscation is particularly low. The USPS has no real money to hire an army of inspectors to search for Spicebomb, much less anything else.

What of perfume oil? Are they allowed?

When they ask me if I'm mailing perfume, etc, etc I just say "no" and it gets there.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Lets see how you feel when they start destroying parcels of fragrance like whats happening in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Lets see how you feel when they start destroying parcels of fragrance like whats happening in the UK.
    That would be no bueno. Luckily I don't buy or sell much online.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I think there's a discrepancy here. It is my understanding that you can still ship, at least domestically, perfume via USPS ground shipping. The problem lies in any form of shipping that could potentially go by air.

I just shipped some cologne from my sales thread. When I was asked what it was, I admitted it was perfume, and that I wanted to send it by ground. The clerk didn't bat an eye and said that was fine.

Of course, international shipments are out, as are priority and express.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    When they ask me if I'm mailing perfume, etc, etc I just say "no" and it gets there.
    But... lying is a sin!

Just kidding. I always say, "No", as well + "Fragile" whenever I ship fragrances.

This new regulation has nothing to do with alcohol-based cosmetics being hazardous, it is simply a way to make more money by USPS and making customer pay more to ship the same item.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I think there's a discrepancy here. It is my understanding that you can still ship, at least domestically, perfume via USPS ground shipping. The problem lies in any form of shipping that could potentially go by air.

I just shipped some cologne from my sales thread. When I was asked what it was, I admitted it was perfume, and that I wanted to send it by ground. The clerk didn't bat an eye and said that was fine.

^^THIS was my experience on Saturday when attempting to ship some frags off my sales threads domestically. The clerk asked if the package contained hazardous materials (including perfume), I answered honestly, and she informed me the package would have to ship via ground. Because my package's weight qualified for first class shipping, I paid that lower rate (compared to parcel post) and the clerk affixed numerous stickers identifying the package as ground only.

The most interesting situation to me is the ability (at present) to purchase postage online, including for flat-rate priority mail. This option altogether eliminates the need to visit the post office, talk to a clerk even a mail carrier, or answer any questions about the package's contents.

Quote Originally Posted by Granola View Post
    What of perfume oil? Are they allowed?
    I've heard both yes and no, for both domestic and international.

dampier,
    Firstly, thanks for sharing this information. It's very important and affects us all !
    My huge, huge fear is that the next step will be a perfume ban on check in luggage.This would mean when we visit foreign countries, discover and buy fragrances ~ we will not be allowed to take them on the plane in any form whatsoever.
    As horrible as it sounds, it seems like the next logical, (unlogical !) step.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Logically, wouldn't boats work? I don't know, but my guess would coincide with the cargohold lack of pressurization issues, already mentioned. If this, in fact, is the issue then slow boats to China (and elsewhere) would logically work.

Color me naive and optimistic but I think they'll be enough feedback/backlash that we'll be seeing solutions in the days/weeks/months to come. I'm a free market advocate and, as long as the various governments involved can manage to keep their regulatory distance, where there is an economic will there will be a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Grungevig View Post
    The most interesting situation to me is the ability (at present) to purchase postage online, including for flat-rate priority mail. This option altogether eliminates the need to visit the post office, talk to a clerk even a mail carrier, or answer any questions about the package's contents.
    This is what I do, if possible, or I go to the post office and use the kiosk in the lobby.

I had an incident several years ago when a package I received via usps priority leaked. I had to return it (actually, forward to the distributor) and went through the line at the post office. When asked the contents, I told them and the guy was really hesitant to send it until I told him hey, that's the way they shipped it to me.

I don't get it then. How do companies like fragrancenet get away with shipping internationally?

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Logically, wouldn't boats work? I don't know, but my guess would coincide with the cargohold lack of pressurization issues, already mentioned. If this, in fact, is the issue then slow boats to China (and elsewhere) would logically work.

Color me naive and optimistic but I think they'll be enough feedback/backlash that we'll be seeing solutions in the days/weeks/months to come. I'm a free market advocate and, as long as the various governments involved can manage to keep their regulatory distance, where there is an economic will there will be a way.
    Well, you're thinking with logic, which isn't often the way the regulations work.

Of course, boats don't fly, and ground shipping would be able to deliver from the United States to any other country on the continent. But I think the regulations are specific that international shipping for perfumes by the USPS is out, no matter how the package may be carried.

I used to lie when shipping to get the priority packages accepted, but finally got fed up and just started answering truthfully. I don't like lying about things. The whole thing is annoying.
    Current Top Five:

Quote Originally Posted by noseferatu View Post
    I don't get it then. How do companies like fragrancenet get away with shipping internationally?
    They have special contracts with specialist carriers. Because they are huge international firms they can cover these costs. Smaller family run businesses and small ebay seller's do not stand a chance. They will go under.

Basenotes Plus

@ DuNezDeBuzier - Our R.M. was in discussion with the Maritime and Coastguard Agency but, as personal, non-contract clients we may not ship overseas by any means through our own Postal Service - so I imagine those talks were not productive.

In these times of recession & mass trauma over whether the meat-eaters amongst us have unwittingly been eating horses & other 'big' news, it's pretty low on our national agenda!

You may have more luck - I hope so, because we'd then have precedent to bash them with!

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    They have special contracts with specialist carriers. Because they are huge international firms they can cover these costs. Smaller family run businesses and small ebay seller's do not stand a chance. They will go under.
    Last time I ordered with fragrancenet it was sent as normal airmail and delivered by Royal Mail...I was at work and collected it from the Royal Mail depot the following day.
    On Monday I recieved a box from AusLiebeZumDuft with 3 bottles and various samples...sent by DHL in Germany and delivered by Parcel Force here to me.
    Frankly, its a ludicrous situation. Nothing has changed afaik regarding Airplane design or pressurisation, and bottles/atomisers are as sturdy as they have ever been so long as they packed properly...so what is the reason? Guesswork really.

Well, you're thinking with logic, which isn't often the way the regulations work.

Of course, boats don't fly, and ground shipping would be able to deliver from the United States to any other country on the continent. But I think the regulations are specific that international shipping for perfumes by the USPS is out, no matter how the package may be carried.

I used to lie when shipping to get the priority packages accepted, but finally got fed up and just started answering truthfully. I don't like lying about things. The whole thing is annoying.
    It is a TOTAL, (worldwide) ban and includes LAND and SEA shipping. ALL METHODS OF SHIPMENT.
    The enforcement came from the UNIVERSAL POSTAL UNION, not as some people think the Civil Aviation Authorities. This is not about perfumes/alcohol being carried on planes ~ it is about all forms of shipping perfumes/alcohol. The ban also includes lithium batteries and, (of all things!) nail varnish ???????..............
    This planet has become pathetic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nelbert View Post
    Last time I ordered with fragrancenet it was sent as normal airmail and delivered by Royal Mail...I was at work and collected it from the Royal Mail depot the following day.
    On Monday I recieved a box from AusLiebeZumDuft with 3 bottles and various samples...sent by DHL in Germany and delivered by Parcel Force here to me.
    Frankly, its a ludicrous situation. Nothing has changed afaik regarding Airplane design or pressurisation, and bottles/atomisers are as sturdy as they have ever been so long as they packed properly...so what is the reason? Guesswork really.
    Please see my thread entitled shipping perfumes, and my posts on this thread. This has nothing to do with aircraft. This ban affects roal/land haulage / rail haulage and sea haulage. All forms of shipment.

Basenotes Plus

0818 B.B.C. Today prog., Radio 4 13 Feb. Available in U.K. anyway for a few hours.
    Quote:-

"Yesterday the US broke its record for the longest time without a commercial airline crash. David Spiegelhalter, a professor for the public understanding of risk at Cambridge University,"

quoted some lovely stats. & there's an article in the N.Y,Times, same day.

Despite the massive increase in commercial flights, last year was apparently the safest since 1945 with 475 fatalities in 23 accidents worldwide.
    (Somewhere there was a page showing reasons for the accidents & fragrance or other cosmetics were not mentioned, but I failed to bookmark it & can't find it at present!)

The distance travelled for a 1/1000000 chance of death was quoted by Dr. Spiegelhalter as follows:-
    Air (including 9/11 )7500 miles (in the U.K. same by train)
    U.K. - car 300 miles, walk for 25, or fly a light aircraft/ride a motorbike for about 7 miles for the same degree of risk.
    He made the point that the most dangerous part of a journey inc. travel by commercial airline was the bit to the airport!
    Last edited by lpp; 19th February 2013 at 06:54 PM.

Strange because i was only ever asked to reveal the contents of a package whenever it had an International address on it. Any large letters/ small packages sent within the UK did not arouse any interest whatsoever which leads me to believe it is an aircraft only policy.
    Perfumes have always been on the prohibited list due to the mess a leaker can have on other peoples mail(and the attended insurance claims)but now the P.O. can claim it isnt them who are behind these new rules but the CAA and other transport bodies. Quite handy for Royal Mail...cuts down on insurance claims and the blame for the hassle gets passed elsewhere

Basenotes Plus

It's from the U.N. & U.K. parcel sizes are being revised shortly? Looks like they only want letters to me. Not sure if it's a typo., but the website quotes a Public Consultation with 7 respondents!
    Last edited by lpp; 19th February 2013 at 06:52 PM.

Maybe the fragrance community should form fragrance cartels that traffic in the best smelling fragrances from all over the world.

Basenotes Plus

Hasn't that been tried?

N.Y.Times:-
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/12/bu...anted=all&_r=0

Found it!
    http://planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

Scroll down 4 detailed info.
    Last edited by lpp; 19th February 2013 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I hate to lie, but that's what I do, too. I mean, c'mon.

Two days ago I read on the USPS website about how to mail perfume domestically, including special labeling. Now when I look up how to mail perfume, it simply says I cannot mail it. No mention of special labeling or ground shipment.

About three or four years ago, I was doing a swap within the UK. Went to a different post office than I normally use, told the woman behind the counter perfume when she asked. "You cannot send that by Royal Mail." Walked to another post office and when asked said it was foundation(women's makeup), I was told I could not post it by Royal Mail!!!!!! Waited until next day went to my normal post office, woman said, "Sending perfume?" "Yes." No problem off it went.

Asked a friend who worked in a department store about how they posted perfume out by mail order? They just sent it, no special stickers etc.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

U.K. rules just changed 4 personal customers - & 4 contract customers who have different rules, possibly as they are more 'trusted' - a Dept. store (if part of a chain) would either probs have a contract with R.M. or another shipper.

Aaaaaaaargh - unhappy person here, although it must be said that I was very recently sent a vintage scent by someone on Ebay in an unpadded paper letter envelope with the tiniest bit of used bubble-wrap u ever saw! - didn't even cover 1/2 the bottle & wasn't even marked 'fragile'.
    Last edited by lpp; 20th February 2013 at 08:49 AM.

The lithium battery industry won itself a pass (lobbyists work magic). As long as lithium batteries are installed in the device, they are ok for shipping. Logical? Of course not. If perfumes are in a sealed box, shouldn't that work too? ;-)

Basenotes Plus

Hitting nail on head prize goes to.....

Thread will be probs be locked in the absence of actual, constructive info 'though.

So, updates on the situation on the ground from U.S. much appreciated.
    Hope your news is better than ours.

It is a TOTAL, (worldwide) ban and includes LAND and SEA shipping. ALL METHODS OF SHIPMENT.
    The enforcement came from the UNIVERSAL POSTAL UNION, not as some people think the Civil Aviation Authorities. This is not about perfumes/alcohol being carried on planes ~ it is about all forms of shipping perfumes/alcohol. ...........................
    David,

thanks for all your posts on this topic. I'd be keen to read some more on this. Can you provide actual URL's for the Universal Postal Union where this is discussed ? I've tried looking at their website, but can't find anything.

Thanks

Basenotes Plus

@ david - hope that people continue to update us all on their current experiences on your thread, which is so very helpful & informative.

- - - Updated - - -

@ david - hope that people continue to update us all on their current experiences on your thread, which is so very helpful & informative.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/324689-Shipping-Perfume

Considering they are bankrupt, not a wise decision to do this, beggars cannot be choosers lol

I'm sure everyone's heard that they won't be shipping on Saturday as of August. As far as the policy's they're required to ask, but your not required to tell them the truth. They're only going to get the people that don't know any better. By law they can't open your package and if they do it better be for a really good reason otherwise that $100 bottle of fragrance is going to turn into a $100,000 lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Considering they are bankrupt, not a wise decision to do this, beggars cannot be choosers lol
    True, but they are, for the most part, a government run operation. When has money or profit or efficiency ever been a factor or a goal in that world? Taxpayers need to offload that clunker to private industry - but I don't think they can legally - government has to maintain and assure a mail system. yipee.

Post Re: USPS' Perfume Crackdown March 1; No Air/Priority Shipments

Dr Evil: If u dont give me what u want, i will...he he he he ha ha ha haaa

US & all other Postal Services: What will u do Dr. Evil: u cant treat the whole shipping / postal industry like this.

Dr. Evil: hahahhhaaahhheeeehaaaa I will spray on u some parfum...hheeeehaaaheeehaaa

Basenotes Plus

can I have some of what u just had?

Some rules are made to be broken. SWIM (Someone Who Isn't Me) I know, just lies, and says it is not perfume, or a battery, or whatever "illegal" thing... even when it is. Even on customs labels for overseas. Works for him.
    Since you can't fix stupid (or in this case, stupid rules), sometimes ya just gotta be an outlaw, I guess.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

So, no more Saturday deliveries (unless it's priority). The lines and employees at the post office are complete imbeciles. They're in huge trouble financially...and they're pulling this crap?

I'm going to ask my mailman. He's practically a "friend" now, and has told me some really grimey stuff that goes on. He'll tell me if they x-ray or anything to find out what's in the boxes.

Because otherwise, like the honey badger, im not giving a damn here.

It gets a little hard to deny what's in the box when you have a frequent habit of sending packages back to places called "Fragrancenet" and "Parfum1".

The enforcement came from the UNIVERSAL POSTAL UNION, not as some people think the Civil Aviation Authorities. This is not about perfumes/alcohol being carried on planes ~ it is about all forms of shipping perfumes/alcohol. The ban also includes lithium batteries and, (of all things!) nail varnish ???????..............
    This planet has become pathetic.

- - - Updated - - -

Please see my thread entitled shipping perfumes, and my posts on this thread. This has nothing to do with aircraft. This ban affects roal/land haulage / rail haulage and sea haulage. All forms of shipment.
    Not to be critical, but you are just plain wrong about United States internal mail restrictions. Don't believe me?

1. In the United States, as of December 2012 if not earlier, perfume was confirmed a "Class 3" hazardous material. Here's the official postal service poster explaining classes, showing perfume is a class 3 substance:

http://about.usps.com/posters/pos701l.pdf

2. A class 3 material CAN be shipped in the United States to a domestic destination via "surface transportation," if it qualifies under an exemption (ORM-D). Don't believe me? Here's the official word:

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_010.htm

3. Retail perfumes are consumer goods that do indeed qualify as ORM-D, making them shippable by "surface transportation" to a domestic destination. Again, I've done the work for you. Scroll down to "perfumery products" and you find that while they are prohibited by air, there's a code showing that, if properly marked, they're shippable by ground:

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52apxa.htm

For more information on ORM-D, you can consult the handy wikipedia entry, which even includes pictures of the designation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORM-D

Not trying to be critical, but seriously, there's a lot of bad information being circulated in these threads. If I'm wrong about this, anyone can feel free to point me to an authoritative source and I'll be glad to delete this post, since I don't want to contribute anything that's in error. But all of this just confirms what I've understood for the past few months: if you honestly disclose that your are shipping perfume at a U.S. post office, you'll have to send it by surface mail, and can only do so domestically.

I have no clue what the international regulations may be and therefore can't address them.
    Current Top Five:

Basenotes Plus

@barclaydetolly

Sorry, but the situation is changing fast - suggest subscribe to:-
    for actual consumer updates,.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    @barclaydetolly

Sorry, but the situation is changing fast - suggest subscribe to:-
    for actual consumer updates,.
    Thank you. I did read that entire thread, and saw nothing to indicate my information is inaccurate.

Also, I think I'll rely on the United States Postal Service's own website, rather than a basenotes thread, for "actual consumer updates."

Again, if anyone can point out that my information is wrong under U.S. law (which is all I'm talking about), Ill say mea culpa and edit my post. All of us make mistakes, me more than most.
    Current Top Five:

Basenotes Plus

Good luck with that

does this affect ground usps shipping to Canadians in any way?

I apologise if my post on this sounds confused - it is because I myself am confused. I use Australia as an example, but what I write could be applied to all countries.

If we assume that these measures will now be rigorously enforced, then as a private buyer, I cannot buy any fragrances from overseas, unless they are shipped by a private company like UPS or Fedex ? Is this correct ?

I can still buy fragrances from sellers in Australia, as long as they adhere to the Australia Post policy for dangerous goods, which AFAICT, simply means transport by land only ?

But Fedex and UPS don't have their own airlines, or their own shipping company - they must ship their fragrances on the same planes etc. that USPS / Royal Mail uses - is this right ? If so, then why can UPS / Fedex use this system and not USPS /Royal Mail etc.? Do UPS and others have special boxes that they use ? Do they wrap their fragrances in fire retardant blankets ? If so, why can't the government postal services also adopt these methods ?

As an aside, I found this on eBay Australia, which was updated in Jan 2013.

http://reviews.ebay.com.au/Perfumes-...00000001392191