Code of Conduct

Default would you consider yourself a fragrance 'snob'?

every hobby has their share of snobs. watch snobs, fashion snobs, fragrance snobs, etc...i even visit a shaving forum and thier are shaving snobs if you can believe that. for example, in the shaving forums, there are certain users that will discredit a brand of razors, electric shavers or shaving cream because of the material the blade is made of, ingrediants in the shaving cream, what company makes these products, etc...all without even trying them.

a fragrance snob to me would be someone who would:

-not like a fragrance because it is not a niche fragrance

-not like a fragrance because it is on the counter at macys

-not like a fragrance because it is made by a popular designer house

-not like a fragrance because it smells like a crowd pleaser(i.e a frag that appeals to a wide audience like ADG)

-someone who will write off a fragrance because the notes arent interesting enough

i mentioned the above because i have seen people here writing off fragrances for one the reasons above. would you consider yourself a fragrance snob? ill admit, a few weeks ago i went into macys to see if they had any new fragrances. i tested versace eros and prada luna rossa and blew them off because they smelled too 'generic'(thats what i told the SA also) and then proceeded to tell her i like more unique fragrances(like farenheit). walked out of there thinking to myself 'wow have i turned into a snob?' i went back and bought prada luna rossa and have been wearing ever since. terrific all around fragrance.
    Bottles for Swap:

Givenchy Pour Homme 1.7oz(97% full)
    CK Obsession Night 1.7oz(97% full)
    Cerruti 1881 1.7oz(50% full)
    Un Jardin Sur De Nil(95% full)

Looking for:

Chanel Allure Sport
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Polo Blue
    Fahrenheit Absolute
    Dolce and Gabbana The One

Default Re: would you consider yourself a fragrance 'snob'?

Although my tastes have changed considerably since I got into this hobby, I give everything a fair shake and let my nose make the decision. So no, I wouldn't consider myself a fragrance snob. Just today I sampled the new CK fragrance Dark Obsession and found it to be quite good.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 15th April 2013 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Typo

I'm the opposite of a fragrance snob. All the years here hasn't changed that I have pretty simple requirements and tastes and I have no preconceived notions about any scents out there. I smell and either like it or not...don't care where its from. That's it. It just has to fit my life to buy.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

As how you define a snob, it is like someone gives up the whole forest for a single tree.
    Yes, 1 can appreciate a rare, niche tree, however, he is giving up to enjoy others.

Nope. I'm not a snob.

I love LDDM by Tauer.
    I love Lucky Number 6 by Claiborne.
    I love Interlude Man by Amouage.
    I love HM by Hanae Mori.
    I love Corduroy by Zirh.

I care about two things: How the juice smells and how the juice wears on my skin. I don't care about hype, snobbery or any of the other silliness that can get in the way of enjoying a scent. That being said, I 'm less likely to buy a major best seller such as AdG or Bleu - not because there's anything wrong with either one. In fact, I think AdG is great. I just prefer wearing a scent that's a bit less common, just as I prefer wearing glasses that are unique and jackets that are unique. It's like beer: I think Negra Modelo and Gunness are excellent, but where I live there are so many other amazing options available. AdG is great, but there are so many other great options that are less common. Discovering them is half the fun. Then again, if a best seller thrilled me enough, I'd buy it.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for HdP 1725 or Bond Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

As long as it smells good, I don't care if it's 5 or 100 bucks.

Never cared much how other people spend their money, because that is really none of my business. So the words snob, or snobbish to me are more like an attitude, which i am still practicing every night before going to bed. Every night i ride my high-horse aka my little pony around my block and start yelling at my neighbors that have nothing to do with me 'peasant peasant peasant!!!, ugly ugly ugly!!!'

Btw, the pronunciation of the word -Snob always makes me think of something foodie like, coleslaw or corn on the cob.

Banned
    Blog Entries

loaded question, a total catch 22. no snob would admit they are a snob.

I will be surprised if anyone replies they are truly a "snob" as defined by the OP.

Maybe I'm a fragrance snob in that I'm discriminating and have definite likes and a preference for what I think is a fairly narrow range of styles, but then again, I'm happy for others to have their own preferences and tastes, even if what brings them please comes from the bargain bin.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    loaded question, a total catch 22. no snob would admit they are a snob.
    True!But I'm not
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Absolutely not.

No but rather a serious student of the craft of modern perfumery.

I've seen replies (including mine) on other posts where I have sensed a snobbish attitude...I feel all of us have some snob in us that comes up from time to time, w/o us noticing it...

I would think that my attitude towards Bond # 9 frags is a bit snobbish - to me this house is something like this - u can buy a 10lb Potato bag for say 2.99 at a grocery store, this in fragrance comparison is like buying some good 3.4 oz frag for around 50-75; with Bond # 9, its like buying 2 or 3 individual potatoes wrapped in foil and being sold as baking potato for 3.99, more pricier than the 10lb bag of the potato of the same goddamn quality...Of course there are many other frag's and the houses as well that sell frags for higher than bond # 9, so this is purely my own personal view. It's quite some coincidence that I hardly eat potatoes either (obviously not bcoz of their price, but due to my diet)

Creed is another similar brand that's nowadays connecting its water pipe to its parfum production line, but I own some good un-watered frags of this brand and like the stuff as well, so i'll leave the "creed"ers at peace for now

Basenotes Plus

+1! I fully support this statement and say that my deepest admiration is for the Vintage/Classic scents that are no longer in production. I am truly Blessed to enjoy olfactory art and share in this passion with so many great contributors on this forum...but, the bottom line is that I simply enjoy smelling good (regardless of price, brand, Vintage/current formulation, etc.)

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    No but rather a serious student of the craft of modern perfumery.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I've seen replies (including mine) on other posts where I have sensed a snobbish attitude...I feel all of us have some snob in us that comes up from time to time, w/o us noticing it...

I would think that my attitude towards Bond # 9 frags is a bit snobbish - to me this house is something like this - u can buy a 10lb Potato bag for say 2.99 at a grocery store, this in fragrance comparison is like buying some good 3.4 oz frag for around 50-75; with Bond # 9, its like buying 2 or 3 individual potatoes wrapped in foil and being sold as baking potato for 3.99, more pricier than the 10lb bag of the potato of the same goddamn quality...Of course there are many other frag's and the houses as well that sell frags for higher than bond # 9, so this is purely my own personal view. It's quite some coincidence that I hardly eat potatoes either (obviously not bcoz of their price, but due to my diet)

Creed is another similar brand that's nowadays connecting its water pipe to its parfum production line, but I own some good un-watered frags of this brand and like the stuff as well, so i'll leave the "creed"ers at peace for now
    I have to edit - my attitude towards Bond # 9 is snobbish - i had added earlier that it was a bit snobbish

Li'l bit snob.
    I was disappointed in myself when I complimented a woman on her perfume and heard her response. "It's Tease, by Victoria's Secret.".

Sort of, but not really (how's that for non-committal?). I do tend to give the fragrances at places like Macy's less attention, but this is because I want to smell different than others around me.

Quote Originally Posted by Schilling View Post
    Li'l bit snob.
    I was disappointed in myself when I complimented a woman on her perfume and heard her response. "It's Tease, by Victoria's Secret.".
    I was taken aback as well when a coworker said she was wearing Vic Secret as well, I immediately thought maybe the lingerie (sorry, I'm like most men), but she gave the perfume's name, so i was taken aback a little more

Oh and as I pointed out on another thread recently, I have been very impressed by dollar store scents. Perhaps I should not be because so much is spent on marketing, packaging, etc. of designer ones, and so the prices are mostly related things other than the liquid itself, but the point is that I feel obliged to give credit where credit is due, regardless of whether I wear the scents or not.

Here's a new definition for fragrance 'snob': If you don't like Curve for Men, you are a snob.

Ol` hail Curve for Men.

Having to do with everything, not just the perfume trip, I don't relate with the concept. I have no problem with someone being thought of as a snob. They're defining their preferences and staying focused. No need to bother with things they don't like.

As with most material things, it's about some kind of enlightenment. An absence of ideology. Distrust of the overelaborate, overexpensive, and arcane. Satisfaction in things in themselves.

I don't think so...I still think my bottle of Aspen smells pretty good...

Not at all. I am very discerning though.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Total snob, insufferable, but not by any of your criteria - anyone who adheres to those would just be a misguided fool.

I'm confused now.

I do fit into one of your snob criteria: I tend to avoid overly popular fragrances because I don't want to smell like everyone else! Then again, I really don't like Coco Mademoiselle or Narciso Rodriguez for Her, and I do own Chanel No 5 and No 19, Prada Candy, etc. So not sure if I qualify. I'd like to think I'm not too judgmental!

Another of your criteria is not liking a fragrance that isn't a niche fragrance, but I'd like to ask about people who seem determined not to like fragrances because they are niche, and whose comments seem to imply that people who like niche fragrances are just image-conscious snobs. Doesn't it seem like a form of snobbishness? Because at the end of the day, it should be about the smell.

No, I like high-quality creative fragrances that suit my skin, design or niche - I own both. Some of my preferred scents cost about $30 per 3.4oz and I adore them.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by anewtypedude View Post
    Here's a new definition for fragrance 'snob': If you don't like Curve for Men, you are a snob.

Ol` hail Curve for Men.
    Then I'm a snob.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Total snob, insufferable, but not by any of your criteria - anyone who adheres to those would just be a misguided fool.

I'm confused now.
    Yeah, I feel the same way. I'm a snob about fragrances, but not in the ways the OP lists. I look down on fragrances that suck, especially if they are expensive and/or have a higher-than-normal amount of bullshit in their marketing material. There are plenty of those around.

I don't care if something is cheap, or designer, or sold at Macy's. I like things in all 3 of those categories.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I was taken aback as well when a coworker said she was wearing Vic Secret as well, I immediately thought maybe the lingerie (sorry, I'm like most men), but she gave the perfume's name, so i was taken aback a little more
    Haha!
    Current favourite: Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Should I smell like the common riff-raff you tell me!? Nonsense! Good day... I SAID GOOD DAY!

I wear what I like, regardless of price, opinion or brand
    - Mark

ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Hell yeah! If I'm going to spend money on smelling nice, and for that matter smelling nice for me, I don't want to smell like everyone else, I don't want to wear anything I don't like the smell of, and I have found I seem to only like expensive frags, so I don't bother these days sniffing cheapies just in case they're ok - why waste my precious sweet smellin' time?

Not really, I enjoy pretty much any fragrance without prejudice and don't discard automatically a designer, fragrance house etc., just because their reputation is bad AND without testing beforehand.

I used to think that only niche fragrances were of any value to me, having exclusively worn designer stuff in the 90s and 00s. Ironically, those are now considered 'vintage' thanks to reformulation! I love the testing and hunting down of interesting scents - mainly focused on high-end niche houses but looking at my wardrobe my main bottles are from YSL, Guerlain and Gucci (as well as Knize and CdG)!

What does that say about me? I'd like to think that now, I can appreciate fragrance for what it is, rather than who or where it comes from. Currently I'm on a "vintage" streak, looking for odd stuff that might be fun to try.

Sound Scents

Highly discerning yes, but snob, no.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

-not like a fragrance because it is not a niche fragrance
    No

-not like a fragrance because it is on the counter at macys
    What's a Macys? I don't mind seeing fragrances at say Harrods too much but for example Tesco would be another story

-not like a fragrance because it is made by a popular designer house
    No (apart from Calvin Klein, and perhaps a few others. And celebrity scents)

-not like a fragrance because it smells like a crowd pleaser(i.e a frag that appeals to a wide audience like ADG)
    Not necessarily because of how it smells but because it is too common.

-someone who will write off a fragrance because the notes arent interesting enough
    No

absolutely NO! my wardrobe proves it!

Banned

Real snob lacks some knowledge about perfumes and his/her own taste or lacks taste in general so must copy and "go after" branded, well known names to feel he/she is buying value.

i think since introduction of IFRA perfumes became standardized products so much that...the price is not a good guide anymore.(bal a versailes was most expensive perfume after joy....that had some value i think, today most expensive perfumes are def not the best)

I entirely quote the Ericrico's opinion.

I'm certainly in a "niche" stage right now, but that's only really because they're relatively new to me, and there's a whole world of them to discover, while i've already smelt most of what's available on my local high street.

The scents I ignore are copy scents and scents made cheap to be sold cheap (the ones you've never heard of next to the the Lomani on the counter) - most of which smell cheap. After the 50th or 60th time of trying them, I've decided never to try them again. I guess that makes me somewhat snobbish.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

No.

I'm just a snob in general.

I am slightly a snob, in the sense that:

-not like a fragrance because it smells like a crowd pleaser

Just a tiny bit snob.

To me, a true scent snob would not consider anything non-niche. Since I wear a lot of designer stuff, I don't think I qualifiy as a snob.

Well, first, the op isn't defining "snob" as it's usually defined. It's typically used with an offensive connotation. Webster's, for example, defines snob as meaning "one who has an offensive air of superiority in matters of knowledge or taste." I don't think that fits most of us because we all know different noses like different things.

But even if it's defined as the op does, nope, I don't think I'm a snob. I like lots of typical department store colognes -- two are in my top ten. And if I couldn't buy some of the others in my top ten, I wouldn't be too broken up since there are others that are readily available that I like nearly as much.

I do get frustrated that Axe is the number one selling line of scents in the world, and that lots of guys just say "screw it" and wear whatever the cute SA at the department store says is the best-smelling or best-selling cologne of the moment. But I don't think that makes me a snob.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Guerlainista

I think a snob is someone who believes they have better taste than others.

If you've ever caught a whiff of someone's scent and rolled your eyes - welcome to the club. Here's your card.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    I think a snob is someone who believes they have better taste than others.

If you've ever caught a whiff of someone's scent and rolled your eyes - welcome to the club. Here's your card.
    Well said.

This question was posed some time ago with some members getting quite nasty and accusatory. Face it: every endeavour on the face of the earth has snobs from sports cars to fashion to wristwatches.

I am sure a person sporting a vintage Breguet watch would sniff to see someone with a Casio on his wrist.

In the end, who cares? As for me, I simply use the fragrances I enjoy. Period.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.