Code of Conduct

Default Have you dared to calculate how much you have spent on your collection?

I did this today. I went through all my purchase histories on the various sites where I have bought frags and totalled up the value. It wasn't to0 bad actually - £1300 ($2000). But being that this is all in the space of 5 months, since I started collecting, now is the time to stop and enjoy what I have, do some more sampling and maybe not purchase any more until Summer. I said on another thread, that I have friends that spend £4000 +
    ($6150) on one wrist watch, so my £1300 on my whole frag collection doesn't seem too bad.

Anybody else got an idea of how much their prized collection cost them?

Default Re: Have you dared to calculate how much you have spent on your collection?

Never even thought about it.

Default Re: Have you dared to calculate how much you have spent on your collection?

But some people gamble & drink & do drugs....

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    But some people gamble & drink & do drugs....
    Very true (none of which I do)

Don't want to know the actual amount as I'd probably get sick - but it's definitely six figures.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Don't want to know the actual amount as I'd probably get sick - but it's definitely six figures.
    I actually thought of you as I was typing the OP lol

thats crazy dude....do you have any other hobbies?
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Adjusted for inflation, the value increase and/or depreciation of the existing collection, its rarity, backup bottles, matching gift sets containing at least a fragrance bottle also included- I'd rate it anywhere in between a bit over a thousand and a few thousand at most (the currency used in calculations being USD, but may as well be EUR, CHF or GBP).

The inability to ship will affect the value?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Probably about $850. It's shocking as I add up all the "cheapies" I bought. But, smokers spend $2000 a year on their habit and no one gives them any flak.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Probably about $850. It's shocking as I add up all the "cheapies" I bought. But, smokers spend $2000 a year on their habit and no one gives them any flak.
    I haven't smoked a cigarette since Feb 11th of last year. I figured I spent over $3500 a year between cigarettes and buying items like coffee, junk food, and scratch offs. Never again.

About $20,000 last year... Don't tell my wife! Goal it to try to keep it under $3,000 this year if possible. Only about a dozen fragrances I can think of that I still want at the moment - and many of those I just can't seem to get anyway. trying to set a limit of a few hundred bucks / month. And soon, hopefully, there won't be anything that I can get that I want.

Nah...I leave that to my debit / credit card company and I trust their math skills

I do, because I'm a proud spreadsheet nerd.
    I keep a ranked Numbers worksheet in my Mac of the fragrances that I've tried, brief notes on each and what I paid. Yes, this can get crazy expensive and there are many other expenses in this household that take precedence. I only have a few FBs, but love the freedom of exploring a variety of samples without being tied to an expensive bottle, which I could tire of or find a better version of, later down the line.
    Be careful of justifying expenses by comparing yours with others, as you may not know a friend's true income, savings or debt. I wouldn't want you to go down with someone else's ship.
    Have fun with samples, if you're not ready for going cold turkey! Good luck.

@Hednic - do what u do best - buy a few more frags today to erase this thread off your parfumed memory

I was going to respond that I did not spend too much money.

Then I started adding it up. I have a thousand dollars in Tom Ford. Probably another grand in designer fragrances.

I guess $2000 is not that bad.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

I could probably buy a car with it. But I don't want a car.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I'd rather not - I may cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    Very true (none of which I do)
    Neither do I. So no looking back. Just wisdom moving forward (going for quality and not impulse buys).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I haven't smoked a cigarette since Feb 11th of last year. I figured I spent over $3500 a year between cigarettes and buying items like coffee, junk food, and scratch offs. Never again.
    I need my coffee and junk food! Add cologne and you have a life that's rich! Or a little poor!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I need my coffee and junk food! Add cologne and you have a life that's rich! Or a little poor!
    Lol..This is true. I still can't help stopping for the coffee, but they have 2 bananas for $1 so I compromised with my inner devil . So far so good

I told myself at Christmas ABSOLUTELY NO MORE PURCHASES OF FRAGS TILL SUMMER....Well, it's February and I've only managed to pick up 6...hmm, glad it's going so well....

In the immortal words of Bartleby, I would prefer not to.

It's somewhere between $5-7k I'd guess. I'm not brave enough to get an exact figure....

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
    I told myself at Christmas ABSOLUTELY NO MORE PURCHASES OF FRAGS TILL SUMMER....Well, it's February and I've only managed to pick up 6...hmm, glad it's going so well....
    Dude, you sound just like me!

Just a few hundred bucks at this point, including numerous samples ordered off the net.
    Right now there's about 3-4 frags I'd like to get... a couple I'll probably buy, and a couple others I hope to get via swaps.
    Otherwise, I plan on keeping this hobby/interest under control. I want to have a reasonable number of frags I really like, and can wear at least once every couple of weeks.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

each time a thread like this pop up, i do a mental calculation of the collection and somehow another zero sneak in the total eachtime
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

I'm afraid I can't do that...It may give me a heart attack
    I've decided to put brakes on my purchases for some time but I guess it is only possible if I stop visiting this forum
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

I rather not to be honest lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    I did this today. I went through all my purchase histories on the various sites where I have bought frags and totalled up the value. It wasn't to0 bad actually - £1300 ($2000). But being that this is all in the space of 5 months, since I started collecting, now is the time to stop and enjoy what I have, do some more sampling and maybe not purchase any more until Summer. I said on another thread, that I have friends that spend £4000 +
    ($6150) on one wrist watch, so my £1300 on my whole frag collection doesn't seem too bad.

Anybody else got an idea of how much their prized collection cost them?
    Too depressing to find out. Ignorance is bliss.

ive bought close to 20 bottles since last summer. not too bad. seeing how most of them have been discounted either from my job or online, id estimate it under $500 for six months, >$1000 for an entire year if i keep going at that pace. since ive kept my "buy list" a lot smaller now i see it being even less from here on out (wishful thinking).

I keep a chronological log of everything I have ever bought and sold since beginning this "hobby," with a grand total at the bottom. It isn't pretty.

An estimated $7000-$8000.($1700 on Guerlain alone, about $800 on 10 bottles of DHI, $1000 on Creed) and bunch of others that I eventually got rid of. I went from owning approximately 80+ bottles(mostly niche) to 18 bottles currently. Not proud of how much I've wasted.

About $350.

not to sure (denial)... although don't have any other vices (at the moment), so happy with things.

It's cheaper than therapy...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

That's including the cents column, right?

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    About $20,000 last year... Don't tell my wife! Goal it to try to keep it under $3,000 this year if possible. Only about a dozen fragrances I can think of that I still want at the moment - and many of those I just can't seem to get anyway. trying to set a limit of a few hundred bucks / month. And soon, hopefully, there won't be anything that I can get that I want.
    $20,000 last year?! Are you serious?!

It amazes me how big some of the collections some of the posters have. I have a decent job, and am by no means struck for cash, but I could never imagine spending the equivalent of £1,000 a month on fragrances.

We all have our vice, and you can obviously afford it so as to not need the money (especially if the wife is none the wiser). More power to you!

What do you do for a living, and can you teach me how to do it?!

I don't want to calculate my happiness
    my blog : bonnygonggrijp.blogspot.com

Lalique Pour Homme

I have never been good with math.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

I don't bother calculating. Its never occurred to me.

Do you calculate how much coffee you've drank in a certain period or how much pasta you've had?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't bother calculating. Its never occurred to me.

Do you calculate how much coffee you've drank in a certain period or how much pasta you've had?

for swap/sale:

No...

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Under $10 at most... per ml. That's peanuts, right?

On scents I've spent approximately three quarters of what my wife just spent rennovating our kitchen.
    Regards,
    Renato

I tried to keep this passion under control so I think in the last 5 years since the 'microbe' sneaks under my daily pleasures, I've spend totally about one fifth of my annual income. Considering the fact I quitted smoking about 2 years ago, this compensate the money wasted on that other vice, not to mention I'm more happy and for sure more healthy.
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day". I don't want to miss that

Current Top 12 Spring: | Chanel Allure Blanche | Guerlain Homme Intense |
    Dior Fahrenheit | Givenchy pour Homme | Carolina Herrera for Men | Narciso Rodriguez Him | T. Mugler A*Men Sunessence | Trussardi Inside | C. Herrera Chic | Azzaro PH | M. Kors Michael for Men | Pal Zileri Sartoriale |

Blog Entries

$0. I haven't spent a cent...
    I have about 25 bottles of frag. including a $600 Amouage Tribute, a $250 bottle of Mona de Orio Vetyver, $300 bottle of Amouage Opus VI, GIT, Aventus. I have spent about $4000 I ALWAYS buy the largest available bottle/Flaccon b/c It is cheaper per ml. Then I sell enough that I break even, and keep the rest. I sell 5ml or 10ml atomizers to people who want a frag but can't afford a whole bottle.
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 20th February 2013 at 01:48 PM.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Certainly not. So many vintage treasures that are unrepeatable that it's utterly priceless. I shall be guarding them with even more care now that frags are not going to be so easily obtainable. I will never get them again, now that's even more priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by Schilling View Post
    That's including the cents column, right?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I wouldn't keep track of how much I've used, but if the coffee and pasta cost $300.00 each, I would keep track of how much I was spending on them.

If I was a billionaire, I would still want to know where my money goes.

Not even close to my watch collection. My wife has a vast shoe collection..I'm entitled to have a fragrance collection

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    I could probably buy a car with it. But I don't want a car.
    This!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
    Good job!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Lucky you!

I don't even want to think about it.

Well it sort of depends on what you mean, specifically. A decent amount of my collection has been gifts, or has been amassed via gift money for my birthday and Christmas. I'll try and figure it out very vaguely:

From gifts: 3 Creeds, $140+$250. Memoir Man, $200. Sova, $100. Various designer frags, $150. Total: $690
    My own purchases: Aventus split, $60. Many many samples and decants, $230 roughly. Various designer frags, $50. Total: $340

Overall very rough total: $1030. I'm not entirely sure of course, and I am sure it may be a little higher than that, but generally speaking that's what I'll go with for now.

I have a family and being the bread-winner brings responsibility. I have an Excel sheet where I input all I buy, sell and I only buy new if I get extra money from overtime, selling something, getting extra money. Never spent from my family budget. This year I am getting in love with niche, so I am praying more
    “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Me too!!!

aprox $1500 usd