Code of Conduct

Default Tropical summer scent

I'm looking to add a tropical smelling fragrance to my collection. I love Virgin Island Water and Set Sail St. Barts, but they don't last long on my skin. Any Suggestions? Thanks.

Default Re: Tropical summer scent

Coccobello by Heeley
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Coccobello by Heeley
    Excellent recommendation!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Coccobello by Heeley
    Another +1 for this. A lot of people would say Virgin Island Water, but I like Coccobello more. It smells way more natural, and I find it kind of relaxing.

how is the longevity?

Can only speak for myself - very good on my skin.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

The original Tommy Bahama isn't bad - kind of a more woody tobacco vibe, yet oddly "beachy".

Fire Island by Bond no.9 is pure suntan lotion smell - very nice.

Quiksilver is a nice aquatic that I like in the summer, if you can find it (discontinued).

I forgot about Fire Island. It's very tropical, in a suntan lotion on the beach way. I had this one once last summer and went to visit a friend in the hospital. The nurses asked me if I had just come back from swimming at the pool. I enjoy it, but it is on the feminine side of unisex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I prefer CdG Vettiveru.

St. John's Bay Rum

I second Fire Island. It doesn't smell feminine to me, it recalls suntan lotions and beaches.

cacio

CK One Summer 2013 or Clinique Happy will do it for me if i'm heading to a warm/hot coastal location on a sunny day

No one better than Aramis Havana in my opinion.

L'Artisan Batucada.

+1 L'Artisan Batucada

Also, check out Lili Bermuda South Water
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

MPG's Bahiana is one worth checking out.

Two Joop fragrances, namely the discontinued What About Adam and the still available and widely produced and retailed Nightflight always remind me of summer and tropical holidays for one reason, as well as the some of the Baldessarini flankers, especially Del Mar.

Gucci ph II

IZOD is a very nice tropical/aquatic. Has pretty solid longevity on me, at least 6 hours, sometimes less. Doesn't matter really because it's still pretty cheap. Big compliment getter too.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Wave Musk by Mancera is a good one. Longevity is about 8 hours on my skin.

Estée Lauder - Brasil Dream for Him. Perfect in my opinion.

Niche? Go for Etat Libre d'Orange - Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes

While it's a bit heavier than your typical "tropical" scent, I would suggest The Different Company - Aurore Nomade. Nothing says tropical quite like bananas and rum!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

I get a tropical feel from the opening of Dolce and Gabbana The One. May just be my nose.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

This years CK One Summer. Smells very much like a cocktail you'd get at a beachside bar.

Aramis Havana isn't a bad suggestion. Quite unique and affordable if you ask me.
    Coccobello by Heeley is also another good one.

You could also go down the MI route, or try a fig scent too - plenty of options out there. My choice would be Philosykos.

Estée Lauder's Beyond Paradise for men is another. It's a different take on a tropical fragrance that reminds me of the smell of a dense tropical rainforest with flowers, vegetation, woods, & an almost moist, humid feel. I only have samples & have tried it several times over the years, and never can decide if I like it or not. One thing's for sure though; it's different from anything else, and seems to draw you back to smell it again.

Paris Hilton for Men - it's the blue cylinder bottle with the black squiggly lines.

A sweetly fresh, fruity, cucumber opening and spicy pepper musk drydown. The fragrance that's garnered the most compliemnts.

To me Xerjoff 1861 has a bit of a tropical/mixed drink-margarita vibe. It also lasts a long time on my skin.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Bond's Montauk captures the summer beach vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    Are you sure you mean Havana and not Always or Life? Havana is a strong tobacco fragrance, there is nothing Summery, beachy, or tropical about it.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Quote Originally Posted by xoxoMyke View Post
    Paris Hilton for Men - it's the blue cylinder bottle with the black squiggly lines.

A sweetly fresh, fruity, cucumber opening and spicy pepper musk drydown. The fragrance that's garnered the most compliemnts.
    I forgot about this, I own a 1.7 oz bottle. This is a nice smooth, almost creamy, slightly tropical aquatic. Gets very good longevity, and I too get tons of compliments with it.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Are you sure you mean Havana and not Always or Life? Havana is a strong tobacco fragrance, there is nothing Summery, beachy, or tropical about it.
    Unfortunately you have not understood the fragrance itself I suppose or may be you don't know what "tropical" means, I do not accept lessons by anybody about Havana which I have been wearing proudly since it was introduced many years ago. I've never been a minute without a bottle at home since there, I've worn Havana in Cuba, Caracas, Rio, Thailand, Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Jamaica, Africa and God knows where else so .....please, don't tell me what Havana is or whether Havana is tropical or not, may be for you tropical means to drink a Pina Colata or stuffs like that while in my opinion there is nothing more tropical than herbal/vanillic tobacco leaves, spices and rum. Arrivederci.

It does indeed work well in tropical conditions although I have a slight preference for C&S Cuba in the hottest environments.
    Formerly known as Inselaffe

Quote Originally Posted by Freschi View Post
    CK One Summer 2013 or Clinique Happy will do it for me if i'm heading to a warm/hot coastal location on a sunny day
    Completely agree with the CK ONE Summer 2013! It has a real tropical fresh aquatic like vibe/smell and is stronger than expected, especially compared with most other CK Summer versions. I really like it for hot weather.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    I get a tropical feel from the opening of Dolce and Gabbana The One. May just be my nose.
    ^^ This. I live in the Caribbean and this flourishes in the heat. Tobacco, candied orange and a touch of sweet booziness. I get the same tropical vibe...

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thehighend View Post
    ^^ This. I live in the Caribbean and this flourishes in the heat. Tobacco, candied orange and a touch of sweet booziness. I get the same tropical vibe...
    Interesting - this is one of my favorites, but I always ignore it in the summer. Maybe I will have to break it out on a hot day this year and give it a try!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Interesting - this is one of my favorites, but I always ignore it in the summer. Maybe I will have to break it out on a hot day this year and give it a try!
    This is also one of my favorites. I wore it yesterday in 100+ degree weather. I absolutely see the tropical vibe, but I didn't think the performance had improved all that much...well perhaps a little, but it wasn't drastically improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with your assessment about Aramis Havana this coming from a Cuban I been testing a mini of Havana and I have to be honest slowly I getting to enjoy this fragance and i been a little hesitant to get a bottle yet I still like it, one thing I notice I would like a little more power duration of the cologne and you are right mister Darvant you can wear this all over the world it is pleasant, the reason pretty much I been thinking about getting a big bottle is because I want to make sure I getting a good product not watering down , I read a post here somebody saying to be carefull with minis because they tend to be water down or sort of something to pump the hype who knows, I know what is available right now I believe is the reformulation and not the original one still good to be wear, as a matter of fact sooner I finish this post I going to put enought Havana from my mini this evening and giving a good wear, Do you mine if I ask you what is a trusting place to purchase this online and since you are from italy what shops from there will you recommend, Thanks for the post.
    Unfortunately you have not understood the fragrance itself I suppose or may be you don't know what "tropical" means, I do not accept lessons by anybody about Havana which I have been wearing proudly since it was introduced many years ago. I've never been a minute without a bottle at home since there, I've worn Havana in Cuba, Caracas, Rio, Thailand, Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Jamaica, Africa and God knows where else so .....please, don't tell me what Havana is or whether Havana is tropical or not, may be for you tropical means to drink a Pina Colata or stuffs like that while in my opinion there is nothing more tropical than herbal/vanillic tobacco leaves, spices and rum. Arrivederci.

Quote Originally Posted by xoxoMyke View Post

Paris Hilton for men is a hidden gem for sure! I used this fragrance while in college (went through 3 bottles) and I received many many compliments with it. I should buy again to remind myself of those times.

I happened to pick up a bottle of Hollister Socal in a lot purchase. Tropical sun tan lotion type scent with a strong coconut. I would have never even thought to sniff a scent by Hollister but ended up liking it immensely.

Blog Entries

Interesting - I wanted to mention this one, but I censored myself. As I think about why, I'm led to a fascinating thought about what "tropical" means to us, and how it differs around the world. Thinking of my own vacations in the tropics, some memories are Virgin Island Water, but others are definitely Havana. I think I'm just going to let perfume broaden my mind, this time.

You could go in a different direction.
    L'Artisan's Fleur de Liane. It's a tropical rain forest in a bottle
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    You could go in a different direction.
    L'Artisan's Fleur de Liane. It's a tropical rain forest in a bottle
    Absolutely!!!

Givenchy pi neo tropical paradise.. longevity sucks but its cheap so.....
    Last edited by Mitchapalooza; 22nd May 2014 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trucupey20 View Post
    I agree with your assessment about Aramis Havana this coming from a Cuban I been testing a mini of Havana and I have to be honest slowly I getting to enjoy this fragance and i been a little hesitant to get a bottle yet I still like it, one thing I notice I would like a little more power duration of the cologne and you are right mister Darvant you can wear this all over the world it is pleasant, the reason pretty much I been thinking about getting a big bottle is because I want to make sure I getting a good product not watering down , I read a post here somebody saying to be carefull with minis because they tend to be water down or sort of something to pump the hype who knows, I know what is available right now I believe is the reformulation and not the original one still good to be wear, as a matter of fact sooner I finish this post I going to put enought Havana from my mini this evening and giving a good wear, Do you mine if I ask you what is a trusting place to purchase this online and since you are from italy what shops from there will you recommend, Thanks for the post.
    Hi dear,
    I purchased my last Aramis Havana's full bottle from an ebay californian seller, it was one of the new Aramis classic collection bottles, the fragrance is still excellent, I've been in La Habana two moths ago with this wonderful fragrance over and it performed wonderfully, there is nothing more exotic cause the carribean climate is sultry, so humid, you are all day long sweated so wearing a fresh tobacco fragrance (and in general un-sweet or too much coconutty scents) is ideal with the humidity and the final outcome is magic since the sweat enhances all the fresh/exotic and spicy virility of the aroma. I find Havana also in Italy sometimes purchasing it neaby old shops still storing vintage bottles in the background, Italy is full of this precious places, I know dozens of typically "labelled" exotic juices (a la Noir Tropical by Maria Candida Gentile or Bajana O.P.S.O) but those are overly sweet to be comfortably worn for real in the tropical countries while Havana (and I like a lot also C&S Cuba) is still the best, perfect. Somebody write "there is nothing summery or beachy in Havana".... :-), beachy? Being a tropical scent does not mean to be beachy, the concept is different and probably hard to understand if you don't know well a tropical site (I live in a place where we have 35-40 digreeses for 4-5 months and when a wear a coconutty aroma I feel as suffocating after 15 minutes). Another fragrance really well performing in the sultry climates is Eau d'Orange Verte, I recommend it as well as Acqua di Cuba by Santa Maria Novella.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Interesting - I wanted to mention this one, but I censored myself. As I think about why, I'm led to a fascinating thought about what "tropical" means to us, and how it differs around the world. Thinking of my own vacations in the tropics, some memories are Virgin Island Water, but others are definitely Havana. I think I'm just going to let perfume broaden my mind, this time.
    I guess so. Wasn't meant to offend.

Given the OP mentioned Virgin Island Water and Set Sail St. Barts, I'm assuming the type of tropical he speaks of is the tropical fruits vibe. Havana definitley has no tropical fruits or even any fruits at all (I too own a bottle, excellent tobacco fragrance)

When I think tropical, I think Pina Colada, mojitio, the beach, the sun, maybe even the smell of Coppertone. Not tobacco.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Blog Entries

Same here! Havana is the part of the tropics that I feel like I'm not really "local" enough to fully embrace. It's like the cafe without A.C., or the shade tree under the burning sun with the old guy puffing on a stogie. It's the part that I don't know well enough, but remember fondly from the safety of my cool home, wearing my VIW. A new perspective. That's OK. Makes me want to pay attention to the "dry" side of the tropics - scent-wise - next time I'm there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imaginary authors falling into the sea is a good one. Unfortunately, the litchi note gets annoying for me after a while, but I have a good feeling that if worn in humid weather, it will really feel right.

I'm saving the rest of my sample for upcoming hotter days to see how it will wear.

Sent from Galaxy Note 3
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

I'm not particularly fond of tropical scents.

L'Artisan Batucada is very good though.

for swap/sale:

Coco Figue
    by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Formerly known as Inselaffe

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I forgot about this, I own a 1.7 oz bottle. This is a nice smooth, almost creamy, slightly tropical aquatic. Gets very good longevity, and I too get tons of compliments with it.
    I have a 1.7oz around that I occasionally spray for the memories. I wore this from age 18-21. So many compliments and so many laughs when I people asked what I was wearing.

"Paris Hilton's cologne... for MEN!"

Such an excellent, underrated gem.

Hmmmmmm.....Not sure if Ulrich Anvers would be considered "tropical"...I read a few posts in this thread and Im so confused now that I really don't know what the hell is truly "tropical" and what isn't....

But this fantastic scents has Lime, Tangerine and Guava notes with some basil and spicy notes that is simply fantastic to me for the Summer...I tend to think coconut or even Pineapple for tropical too...In that case simply Creed's Aventus
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace