Code of Conduct

Default Decants Now Allowed On Ebay

I've just noticed many different sellers on ebay offering decants of edt's and extrait's, eg 2ml / 4ml etc.
    Is this now allowed ?
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Default Re: Decants Now Allowed On Ebay

Why wouldn't be? There selling them like samples I believe.

I've bought many 5-10ml decants on ebay in the past.

There's been decants on ebay for quite a while now. I don't think it's allowed, ebay probably just got tired of regulating this sort of thing. Bigger fish to fry.

They need to sorry about the sea of bootleg BS, and not decants.

They are not allowed but they can't police every auction. If they're up long enough though they'll probably get taken down.

It's not allowed, but they let certain sellers do it for the long haul. There's one in particular that I know is a lawyer by profession and does the decant business in his spare time. He's that CERTAIN kind of seller.

Basenotes Plus

It was banned under E.E.C. regs. (according to Ebay), but only some have their listings pulled - many are private listings.

I find it tough to understand how this can even be policed. It's your personal possession and if you want to sell a portion of it, no matter the means... how can someone else tell you that's not allowed?
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Quote Originally Posted by Christian M View Post
    I find it tough to understand how this can even be policed. It's your personal possession and if you want to sell a portion of it, no matter the means... how can someone else tell you that's not allowed?
    Would you be ok buying half my pepsi bottle? I put it in a different container and only drank out of the original.

all restricitons come from the fragrance industry: here it is: both manufactureres and retailers want you to buy full bottles blind, or almost blind at the best... and it works most of the time. this is the perfect world for the fragrance business... the regular fragrance chain stores here in the u.s. don't even carry samples.
    who makes 10ml original spray bottles and have them for sale widely available? and why not? cause it will end up being a horror for all those making the big money in the industry
    Last edited by mspa; 20th February 2013 at 01:14 AM.
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Would you be ok buying half my pepsi bottle? I put it in a different container and only drank out of the original.
    I'm sure someone would love to.

I can tell you Bond is none too thrilled about it citing BS copyright policies

decants been selling on ebay for a long time already

they just don't care when the monies's dangling in front of them
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Banned
    Blog Entries

its kind of like downloading illegal music or cheating on taxes.

it is illegal and frowned upon, but not enforced well.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    its kind of like downloading illegal music or cheating on taxes.

it is illegal and frowned upon, but not enforced well.
    good comparison, but it is still somewhat different. you can sell your original bottle on ebay, even partially full. the restrictions for decants sale comes from the fragrance industry people.... but why don't they make smaller bottles or have samples widely available? the idea is not to produce smaller containers for smaller sale price (not talking about attars, pure parfums , etc.)
    f.e.: if a 50ml bottle costs say $50, and a hypothetical 10ml bottle costs say $25, it is very likely you will buy the smaller bottle, then never buy that fragrance again. you would only buy a big bottle of what you really like very much, instead collecting bottles.... in the long run the loses for the fragrance industry would be horrific.
    Last edited by mspa; 20th February 2013 at 01:47 AM.
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Yeah, this has been going on for a while now.

I've bought a lot of decants on Ebay without issues. I've only noticed cut downs on Bond fragrances.
    TOP PICKS
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille Creed Silver Mountain Water Creed Millesime Imperial
    Gucci Pour Homme II YSL La Nuit de L'homme Versace The Dreamer
    Burberry London YSL L'homme L'occitane Eau Des Baux

An Ebay seller I had been dealing with just had all her items pulled because of a continuing infraction. Felt bad for her.

The music piracy analogy is terrible.

The only thing you can compare to that is walking into a store and stealing a bottle of perfume.

Say I buy a bag of Doritos. I go to a busy part of town and stand on the street selling 1 Dorito for $.05.

Someone that might feel like having a Dorito, but not wanting to buy a whole bag would love this. He may even buy 10 Doritos, and be totally satisfied.

I still bought the bag of Doritos perfectly legitimately.

The problem comes from corporations not wanting people to get a small taste. They figure, this guy could have come and bought a whole bag, but instead the guy on the street sold him 10 Doritos. So now he's not going to buy a bag.

Designer, niche, whatever. They don't care about you. They care about money. This is a business.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    its kind of like downloading illegal music
    No, because you actually are giving or receiving physical property. There should be no restrictions on ebay or basenotes for that matter.
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

Basenotes Plus

I am sure Ebay also has concerns about the contents of these small bottles regarding toxicity. I heard the original threat of lawsuits had more to do with the possible tarnishing of the brands due to diluted or otherwise fake decants.

Stuigi, was I seriously just internet reprimanded for calling someone's comment a foolish rebuttal?
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Looks like even spray original bottles aren't safe. This happened yesterday: http://www.makeupalley.com/board/j.asp?bid=4&tid=455838.

And I think noirdrakkar's music downloading comparison was only about the enforcement; that is, that there are random crackdowns but it's impossible to stop it completely.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Looks like even spray original bottles aren't safe. This happened yesterday: http://www.makeupalley.com/board/j.asp?bid=4&tid=455838.

And I think noirdrakkar's music downloading comparison was only about the enforcement; that is, that there are random crackdowns but it's impossible to stop it completely.
    It's probably easier to stop than many people may think. If EBay really wanted to stop decant sales, all they would need to do is keyword searches, very much like the searches here on basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    I am sure Ebay also has concerns about the contents of these small bottles regarding toxicity. I heard the original threat of lawsuits had more to do with the possible tarnishing of the brands due to diluted or otherwise fake decants.
    The toxicity issue makes a lot of sense from a legal standpoint. Plus there's quite a bit of bacteria that alcohol won't kill so your next decant of 1 Million could give you a nasty case of C. diff or MRSA.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Yours? No.
    President Obamas? Sure.

One purchase of a I was trying to make a while ago was cancelled. I was unaware of the restriction and had not paid yet.

Basenotes Plus

Don't know the exact law, but there has been a problem shipping perfumes not in their original & sealed containers to Germany for ages.

The decant business on ebay has been going for years unchecked. It used to be banned and then they got lax. The way it seems to be got around is by showing the whole bottle and mentioning the decant vial or picturing it beside. This will all presumably get axed by the postage regs anyway.

eBay polices it very harshly for some small sellers.

When I saw how common selling decants on eBay had become, with one seller even using the word decants in her eBay store name, I decided to get my feet wet and list a few. Within two days, my listing were shut down, and I got a threatening notice that my seller account was in jeopardy for violating trademarks. I was flabbergasted by the hypocrisy of the selective enforcement.

How are all these other sellers able to get away with it, and do so quite openly?
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: Chanel, Eucris, O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post

When I saw how common selling decants on eBay had become, with one seller even using the word decants in her eBay store name, I decided to get my feet wet and list a few. Within two days, my listing were shut down, and I got a threatening notice that my seller account was in jeopardy for violating trademarks. I was flabbergasted by the hypocrisy of the selective enforcement.

How are all these other sellers able to get away with it, and do so quite openly?
    Maybe they are grandfathered in to it.
    And guess why your listings were immediately removed?
    Who do you think would be flagging the crap out of your decant listings?
    Think a little. Yep, you guessed it right.. Those who do still sell on ebay.
    Its just commonsense when you think about it.
    Who else would complain about your listings?
    Of course they dont want new guys joining in their ebay world.
    Ebay is evil
    The most evil company on the internet.
    You sell an item and they take 9% of your money, plus more if you charge for shipping.
    You get paid from paypal and they take even more since they own paypal as well.
    I hope one day they go down big for robbing people.

My immediate assumption was that it was indeed one or more of these other sellers who complained. How is it, though, that no one has ever complained about them? I find it hard to believe no one has, yet they are still free to list. As they should be.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: Chanel, Eucris, O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Banned

My immediate assumption was that it was indeed one or more of these other sellers who complained. How is it, though, that no one has ever complained about them? I find it hard to believe no one has, yet they are still free to list. As they should be.

They receieve flags too. Ebay ignore them. When you ask them about it, they ll tell you we have gazillion members and its very hard to monitor everyone and surely they will be taken down too and yada yada bull crap

Yeah, it does seem kinda random. I order decants from ebay every so often without a problem. Sometimes, the listing itself has the word "decant" in it.

If I was a betting man, I'd say that someone indeed did report your listing and ebay had no choice but to take it down. It's easy for them to just miss a rule-breaking auction listing, but when someone actually reports it, they really don't have a choice but to take action.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Yeah, it does seem kinda random. I order decants from ebay every so often without a problem. Sometimes, the listing itself has the word "decant" in it.

If I was a betting man, I'd say that someone indeed did report your listing and ebay had no choice but to take it down. It's easy for them to just miss a rule-breaking auction listing, but when someone actually reports it, they really don't have a choice but to take action.
    lets all of us flag a top seller decanter and see if ebay will move a finger.
    I m willing to bet you 100 dollars they will ignore.

Basenotes Plus

I think many decants fly under the radar, unless someone reports them pretty safe.

I have spotted 20-30mls decants being sold now Chanel exclusifs.

In fact just type in decants on ebay UK and up they come.
    DONNA

Basenotes Junkie

I prefer to buy decants from BN. Helps also keep the community going and introduces people to new fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Yours? No.
    President Obamas? Sure.
    Sometimes E-Bay proves P T Barnum to be right.