Code of Conduct

Default The Obscure Gem: Vintage M7

I pulled the trigger and blind bought a 100ml at a great price. As I was anxiously awaiting it's arrival, I decided to do some research on it and was quite surprised that it doesn't have such a big following (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken) like a certain one *cough* *cough*,vintage DHI. Could it be that it's too oudy for most noses and consequently never cultivated an avid following like DHI? Your thoughts please.

By the way, it's such a shame this thing is discontinued as it was light years ahead of it's time.

Default Re: The Obscure Gem: Vintage M7

Vintage M7 does have a devoted following. I actually prefer the reformulation (which is not usual for me) because it's a bit livelier on my skin. The vintage didn't evolve on me for some reason even though it's denser and a bit richer than the reformulation.

I own it and love it. I am not sure but it is possible that the hype train started with DHI being one of the most talked about fragrances in the Youtube community? I think that vintage DHI is fantastic and the current formulation is worth every penny. I also feel that M7 is a very polarizing fragrance when it comes to not only the wearer's perception but the overall experience ie; compliment factor. I am just fortunate enough to own a bottle of this juice and I love every minute of it from the opening to the very last gasps of air 8-10 hours later. You should be stoked! Oh yeah, how much?
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Aplle Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

I think like any other fragrance it has its supporters and detractors. I fall into the first group.

M7 is anything but obscure on basenotes. In the real world, it's mostly unheard of, but on a forum like this, it has a very devoted following. This may seem like blasphemy, but I prefer the latest reformulation (which was also renamed M7 Oud Absolu). It's nowhere near as loud as the original, but rather than a statement scent, the latest version is more of an excellent date night scent. Masters Of Style recently did a review of it on youtube that's worth checking out.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    Oh yeah, how much?
    I paid $85 for it, probably not a steal but a lot better than the ebay rates.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Masters Of Style recently did a review of it on youtube that's worth checking out.
    Thanks, will look into this!

My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Aplle Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

The vintage and M7 Oud Absolu are different enough that if you find yourself really loving M7, I wouldn't be surprised if you'd enjoy M7OA too, but for different reasons.

Which M7 did you get? Red bottle on 4 sides, or red bottle front and back?

Decent Price. This one has a lot of followers. Enjoy.

Luckily , i do own a bottle of Vintage M7 , and still have around 50-60ML left ...its a beaaast

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Red bottle on 4 sides, or red bottle front and back?
    Red bottle all throughout. I need to get my nose on Oud Absolu too.

Usually,masculine gourmand or sweet vanillic sells more. M7 is a much more mature. Itīs dark woody dominates its sweet side and thatīs the point makes m7 not a popular scent. I thank god for this. No matter how exotic the scent is, to be a seller nowadays it must droops to aquatic or vanillic side.

Yup. You got the real deal vintage stuff. And since that's further away from the new M7 Oud Absolu than the M7 reformulation was, yeah, I'd recommend you check out M7OA if you get the chance. Like I said, your bottle is a statement scent. And I mean that in the best possible way. M7OA is, in my opinion, a date scent (though probably not a first date scent). It's a lot softer (with great longevity though) and it turns into something alluring rather than assertive or bold.

Here's the review of M7OA I mentioned.

I don't think M7OA is going to be a hit on basenotes because too many people will get hung up on the M7 name. Since it smells so different than M7, especially the vintage, I think many will fail to judge it on its own merit. That's a shame too, since it's good stuff.

Congrats on the great buy! You will be very, very happy with it. Good work.

where did you get vintage M7 for that price? the vintage, or at least the next reformulation have been on my radar for awhile now, and the cheapest i can find it is, well, not cheap. ive heard people like M7OA too, and maybe i would too because i havent had the chance to smell M7 reformulated or not. but it just seems like one of those scents i have to have haha

M7 is undoubtedly a masculine beast; I still can't get over how amazing this thing is.

This review sold me on M7OA, thanks for leading me that way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Congrats on the great buy! You will be very, very happy with it. Good work.
    I received this today and was instantly swooned. Had I sniffed this a while back when I was new, I probably would have dismissed it. Some fragrances require experience in order to be truly appreciated, and this is one of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RickS1169 View Post
    where did you get vintage M7 for that price? the vintage, or at least the next reformulation have been on my radar for awhile now, and the cheapest i can find it is, well, not cheap. ive heard people like M7OA too, and maybe i would too because i havent had the chance to smell M7 reformulated or not. but it just seems like one of those scents i have to have haha
    I found this on a Facebook fragrance group, and yes this is one you need to sniff.
    Last edited by thegoon24; 20th February 2013 at 03:32 AM.

I pretty much love M7 in any form and if I had to pick a "Holy Grail" fragrance M7 would be it.

^^^ I totally agree, this could easily be in anyone's top 5 rotation.

I have to admit, I'd love to get my nose on the vintage and the reformulation again. I don't think I ever got to smell the reformulation, and it's been a while since I smelled the vintage. M7 is one I consider hunting down too.

Good luck, as finding vintage juice nowadays is based on chance. I happened to stumble on that sale and jumped on it. It's always perplexing when you smell a discontinued gem and wonder why it's gone.