Code of Conduct

Lightbulb m7 lovers: Is it worth buying m7 oud absolu too?

I wanted to know how similar they are . Is it worth buying m7 absolu if i have the vintage one?

Default Re: m7 lovers: Is it worth buying m7 oud absolu too?

M7 Light would be a better name for it. I'd take the money and buy a bottle of M7 Fresh if you want a twist on M7. They didn't improve upon M7 with Oud Absolute so really what your getting is an inferior version with less juice at a higher price, but it's avaliable.

I'm curious to know others opinions about this too, as I tested the Absolu one and found it quite unforgetable opposite to the great M7 original!

I am one of the few to like and own every formulation and variant of M7.

Where can I get the original M7 shipped to Canada?

If you find it at a good price, the answer is yes.
    How does it smell? Try to imagine a M7 "flanker", with myrrh and leather .

IMO Yes.

I have both and love them both the same. All things being equal, if I had to buy just one, I'd go with the Oud Absolu though.

Having worn them side by side, I don't find them THAT different. The original is preferable, but Oud Absolu hits many of the same notes in stride (I found it to have more focus on myrrh in the basenotes, personally).
    The Bark Bites Back.

I own Oud Absolu and really enjoy it. It's not as good as the original vintage stuff, but it's also half the price.

I was curious about this too. I have been looking for M7 for a decent price and haven't found it. It would be a blind buy so I don't want to drop more money than usual. I know M7 OA is readily available, so that has been pulling at me. It seems tho that people have different opinions between M7 and OA. If I can't find the M7 vintage/reform. then I might just ahead and get the M7OA and try to forget about the older one. Hint "try".

I own Oud Absolu, and the reformulated M7, and I had a sample of the original M7. They are all very similar to me - the differences being very subtle. If you are a lover of the original, you will probably enjoy the Oud Absolu also. IMO, it makes a fine substitute for when the original is no longer available.

Interesting, since I am also somewhat liking M7 already, I would also be eager to try this flanker.

No. Just get the lighter, more versatile first reformulation with clear front and sides glass bottle (back side is brown).

Exactly!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    M7 Light would be a better name for it. I'd take the money and buy a bottle of M7 Fresh if you want a twist on M7. They didn't improve upon M7 with Oud Absolute so really what your getting is an inferior version with less juice at a higher price, but it's avaliable.

No. There are way too many fragrances that deserves your cash than another version of M7 when you already own the grail (vintage).
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

Dependent

I find them pretty different after an hour or so. M7 has a bunch of sweet rich vanilla and musk in the base, while OA is very dry cedar/myrrh/Iso E.

I actually prefer the Oud Absolu. It has less of that (in my opinion) overly sweet syrup-y note.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Where to find vintage M7: in the last year I've seen it in out-of-the-way shopping mall fragrance shops. Recently purchased a new 50ml, vintage 2006, for around $45. The deals are still out there. Just have to be a relentless shopper to track them down. Of course, time is money, so if you don't want to spend lots of time (and money) shopping in obscure places, you might just spring for an expensive bottle online. In cost accounting terms, it probably works out to be about the same price in the long run.

In any case, it takes some time and money to get the good stuff. It is highly unlikely that the Avon lady will show up anytime soon with a well-priced bottle of vintage M7 that needs a good home.

To the BNers who've asked where to find it: best wishes for success with your search. Report back, let us know your thoughts when you've tracked it down. Money's on: you will love it.

I got Oud Absolu for under $50 between a fragrancenet sale and ebates. It doesn't have to be pricey.

If you like M7, I'm not sure it's worth owning both M7 and M7 Oud Absolu. I'd say pass and spend the money elsewhere. But if you LOVE M7, I think it's totally worth it, especially since you'd basically have two bottles, making each last twice as long, and you'd find yourself wearing the right one for the right occasion. They're similar enough to be somewhat redundant, but different enough to make a true fan happy.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Dependent

I bet layering these would work well.

After wearing M7 Oud Absolu quite a bit I've come to appreciate it more. It's not as good as the vintage, but it jumped a spot over the reformulation. Considering that you can get this for $60, reformulation at $90+, and the vintage at $100+ it's a good bang for your buck.

They did a good job with it, compared to the crap designer fragrances on the market, its quite well made.

Maybe I've been hit in the face too many times, but I own both and honestly can't tell the difference..
    My top 10

1. Gucci Envy
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Gucci Rush for Men
    5. Viktor & Rolf Antidote
    6. D&G By Man
    7. Serge Lutens - Santal Majuscule
    8. Gucci Pour Homme
    9. Tom Ford Nerolo Portofino
    10. Dior Homme Cologne

If you can get the vintage, stick with it. The OA version is a blunter, drier version of the original without the opening sweetness.

I have 3 bottles of Vintage, which I slowly dip into but I wouldn't swap them for anything. To me they are that precious.

The best perfume, considering all versions, is Oud Absolu. Please buy it.

I would only really buy it if you didn't own either of the original versions, purely because I really don't see much difference between them.

If you already own an older M7, I wouldn't bother with OA until you run out. They're just too similar to me to justify owning both.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cosgrove View Post
    I would only really buy it if you didn't own either of the original versions, purely because I really don't see much difference between them.

If you already own an older M7, I wouldn't bother with OA until you run out. They're just too similar to me to justify owning both.
    I agree with this. What makes OA a good buy is because it's pricepoint is low and seems to be getting lower. The vintage and reform versions are going in the opposite direction and within a couple of years I could see the vintage going for $300 or more a bottle.

I own both and they did great job on Absolu and feel its redundant owning both.

I have the vintage and decided not to buy abs.