Code of Conduct

Thumbs down Mont Blanc Individuel: Because Smelling Bad is Easy

What would happen if you took Joop! Homme, which I love, removed the sweet cinnamon and pumped up the screechy synthetic heliotrope and jasmine florals, well Individuel is your answer. Unhappy with a superior original, Pierre Bourdon decided to do his take on Michel Almairac's sweet masculine floral, take everything pleasant about it and turn it into the gourmand equivalent of Chrome; a metallic synthetic mess of a fragrance that, frankly, smells like paint thinner and floor wax. Like nails on a chalkboard astringent floral aroma chemicals assault your nose in this headache inducing mess. Is hard to make a fragrance with absolutely no redeeming virtues, but Mont Blanc has done it, bravo!

I haven't had my nose under original Santal, but if that's what this allegedly smells like count me out. If you're new to fragrance and you're wondering what people mean when they say something smells synthetic; get your nose under Individuel, it's the definition of it. This stuff is nauseating and unfortunately has incredible longevity (or perhaps half-life is a better way of referring to it) and sillage. It's vile and the public shouldn't be exposed to it without warning. Stick with Joop! Homme, it's what this fragrance aspires to be.

Default Re: Mont Blanc Individuel: Because Smelling Bad is Easy

I agree entirely. I really hated this stuff, and that is rare for me to say.

Basenotes Plus

I'm one of the few in the community that actually likes Joop! Homme as well. I was going to skip Individuel and try Original Santal anyway.

I have actually gone right off of this one. I did really like it in 2012. Good or bad it is far more like OS than Joop imo. In fact 85% like OS!

I don't care for Mont Blanc Individuel, but Original Santal is pretty good.
    Last edited by sjg3839; 20th February 2013 at 07:36 PM.

I agree with OP. It's like a person who tries really hard to please everyone but just ends up without no originality and thus boring. Only slightly less interesting than La Nuit de l`Homme.

Personally have no problems with this Mont Blanc fragrance.

I couldn't think of anything more synthetic in the fragrance world than JOOP! It's stomach churning burnt plastic and sugar has nothing over on Indivduel's Chocolate raspberry opening and fresh linen dry down.

I've tried Joop! Homme., Original Santal, MB Individuel, and 24 The Fragrance. They all have that big cinnamon note, but out of these 24 The Fragrance is the one I like the best. Think you really have to enjoy cinnamon to wear a fragrance like these.

Banned
    Blog Entries

i tried joop and original santal.

i wasn't a big fan of joop, but i did like original santal.

I am just wearing sample of Individuel. I expected lot but what I got is very sweet scent similiar in style to Joop Homme. IMO its in same family of bubble gumy candy sweet scents like 1 million (I dislike 1 million but I may prefer it over Individuel by long shot).
    TOP 4 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 4 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme

I find it pretty nice , with it's sweet-clean vibe . It's not a ground-breaker , but it's not that bad , actually I wore this one quite a lot this winter . It performs very well as an office scent . What I smell is cinnamon , vanilla , raspberry and a little bit of dark chocolate . Also the longevity and projection are above average on my skin .

I've never found a Mont Blanc fragrance I liked.

I've also had problems with their juice going bad. Bought 2 bottles of Starwalker at the same time, and after a few weeks, one of them smelled like the seafood section in a supermarket. I couldn't even give it away.

The other one was fine, but boring.