Code of Conduct

Talking I might be obsessed with sampling.

Hi guys, second ever thread on basenotes. I only recently started caring about fragrances and I love it so much. I didn't know a smell could evoke so much memory/emotion. To me a good scent is like a beautiful song. Anyway waxing poetic aside, I really do love the whole world/community surrounding it and spend a great deal of time just browsing Basenotes and listening to you people discuss fragrances so passionately.

However, I've been sampling like crazy, trying to get as many to take home as I can from perfume stores. Not in a lunatic hoarder kind of way, I really do want to try the ones I ask for and put a different one on every night when I go to bed. So far I've been floored by John Varvatos Black, Dior Homme Intense, L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme and Narciso Rodriguez For Him.

Since I'm currently out of a job and can't afford to buy a full bottle of pretty much anything right now I've pretty much been living off my samples. Which brings me to the point of this thread: do you guys know where I can shop for samples online and get a decent price on shipping? I'm from the Netherlands here. I really can't keep hitting up the same shopkeepers without actually buying anything..

Also, any fragrance suggestions would be great. I'm a 23 year old male. So far I only have bottles of Burberry Brit, La Nuit de L'Homme EDP and Blue de Chanel. I like darker fragrances, spicy, sensual and sliiightly sweet.

Thanks for listening guys.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I might be obsessed with sampling.

boomer used to run a website called checkitoutone.com , it was the best sampling site i've ever had. it was what really propelled me to go far in my fragrance journey. i'm just really sad that boomer had to leave us

I don't know who Boomer was and that website is offline but thanks anyway..

Banned
    Blog Entries

i just discovered surrender to chance . com

I buy mine from any of the following:

The Perfumed Court (US)

Surender to Chance (US)

The Posh Peasant (US)

First in Fragrance (Germany)

Les Senteurs (UK)

Just be careful ordering from outside your home country, as the shipping regulations for perfume are now becoming very strict (many threads about this on basenotes)

If you are in the Netherlands, check out whether Celeste will sell you some samples. I've only bought expensive full bottles from them, but they threw in free samples for me (I asked) I've not received my bottles yet, but their email communication was top notch.

http://www.celeste-parfums.nl/nl/

Adding the crystal flacon and myperfumesamples

Enjoy!

Good prices for samples on ebay. Also check out luckyscent.com and surrendertochance.com

Likewise on your thoughts. Scent is such a powerful sense.

Happy sampling!
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Keep sampling and enjoying what you discover!

Banned

www.decantshop.com

best prices you ll find. although small inventory, its a new store and keeps getting bigger
    Last edited by Attila; 28th March 2013 at 03:54 AM.

Thanks a lot guys! Will be checking these out.

You, should check out Histoires de Parfum, they'll send you out a sample set of six frags for €10 delivered.

Think you'll like their offerings, particularly 1740 and Noir Patchouli, based on your preference for dark, spicy, sensual & sweet.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Ah! Mick_Trick, those look amazing. I'm almost hoping I don't fall in love with them since they're rather expensive but the bottle, colours and even the names are right up my alley. They're just so damn classy-looking. Thanks a lot for the heads up!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    decantshop dot com

best prices you ll find. although small inventory, its a new store and keeps getting bigger
    they do have some very nice basics ---> sycomore, TF, Creed. Good prices, very affordable shipping! --> A fan!
    Last edited by socalwoman; 25th March 2013 at 01:04 AM.
    www.smellandtell.wordpress.com <-- my rookie perfume review blog.
    Last review: Histoires de Parfums - 1740
    Say hey!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Good prices for samples on ebay. Also check out luckyscent.com and surrendertochance.com
    I would not buy any samples from ebay. I think some of those scam artists dilute their samples. I bought a sample of dior homme intense once and the juice looked almost clear as water and not strong enough. just didnt feel right either.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    I would not buy any samples from ebay. I think some of those scam artists dilute their samples.
    There's this thing called "feedback" on eBay. Most people know how important it is and what to look for in order to avoid "scam artists," but I suppose there are some who don't.

Somehow I don't think major sellers with 100% ratings on eBay are going to spend their time or risk their rating/business "diluting" something as cheap and insignificant as their factory samples, and then turn around and mail it for free.

Some of the best deals I have ever gotten on samples came from eBay. Several Basenotes members sell samples on eBay.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...ns-L-deCerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

If you're in The Netherlands, I'd certainly recommend First in Fragrance (ausliebezumduft.de). Also, some perfume companies do really great deals on sample sets (Histoires de Parfums, Juliette Has a Gun, Parfums d'Empire). So definitely check the house sites before buying anything.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    There's this thing called "feedback" on eBay. Most people know how important it is and what to look for in order to avoid "scam artists," but I suppose there are some who don't.

Somehow I don't think major sellers with 100% ratings on eBay are going to spend their time or risk their rating/business "diluting" something as cheap and insignificant as their factory samples, and then turn around and mail it for free.

Some of the best deals I have ever gotten on samples came from eBay. Several Basenotes members sell samples on eBay.
    I m sure there are many who try to earn an honest living on ebay. You're right. I should watch what I say next time. cant speak in general like that.

Great experience recently with decantshop.com Definitely recommended. As Attila said, not a huge selection, but very competitive pricing for what they do have - just got some Montale, Sycomore, and Acqua di Parmas all for VERY good prices.

I too am obsessed with sampling. I sample so much till everything smells the same.

Surely sample Amouage Jubiliation, Interlude and Creed Royal Oud.