Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Dependent

Default Re: L'Antichambre - Belgian Fragrances, Anyone?

This is yet another example of a perfume company rushing releases to market. I think they should start with two fragrances max. Two GREAT fragrances that really put them on the map. Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    The next one up today is...

L'Ombre Cachee

L'Ombre Cachee opens with a blast of rubbery Oud that remains well into the heart notes and obscures just about everything else in its path. At times one can smell brief whiffs of natural cedar in the early heart, but the relatively opaque Oud does not allow much through. Supporting the dominant Oud and slight supporting cedar wood throughout is an underlying supporting dark smoldering incense accord that acts as the scent's backbone. In the late dry-down the Oud recedes just enough to allow a just slightly sweet amber to peek through before the overall fragrance gradually fades away. Projection is excellent and so is longevity at 11-12 hours on skin.

L'Ombre Cachee is all rubbery Oud all the time. There is not much going on that I could detect because all the supporting notes are just completely quashed by agar-wood assault. I have never been the greatest fan of Oud dominant fragrances (preferring it as either a supporting note or one that is so well-blended it doesn't call much attention to itself), so it should come as no surprise that L'Ombre Cachee with its dominant Oud focus did not really mesh with my tastes. The sparse supporting cedar that *was* detectable was quite nice, but there was so little of it I had to debate whether it was even worth a mention. My preferences aside, Oud fans that prefer the note as the sole focus may find there is a lot to love here and performance-wise this is the best from L'Antichambre I have sniffed by far. The bottom line is L'Ombre Cachee does not really do a good job of letting the supporting non-Oud notes/accords emerge from their overarching Oud shadow, yielding an above average but slightly disappointing 2.5 to 3 star out of 5 rating on the whole. Not recommended, except to Oud fanatics.
    Brilliant Reviews! Thank you.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

Sound Scents

Here is the final fragrance from my sample pack, worn yesterday (this is the LuckyScent exclusive)...

Coup de Coeur

Coup de Coeur opens with a complex combination of fresh mint leaf and mildly aromatic lavender with hints of herbaceous clary sage peeping through. As the fragrance enters its early heart traces of the lavender, herbs and mint remain as it turns darker with a woody earthy vibe driven by a dry unsweetened tobacco leaf accord with key cedar support. While all this is going on, if one pays close attention an all too brief mild, slightly indolic orange blossom note lies underneath the herb-laced tobacco and wood though disappears shortly thereafter. As the heart phase progresses the cedar increases in intensity to gain as much strength as the tobacco leaf, as they are both now joined by an ever growing burnt incense that by the end of the heart phase is the dominant accord. During the late dry-down the earlier notes diminish near completely save the now starring incense and supporting cedar, finally joined by base notes of patchouli and amber that never turn the scent anything more than just slightly sweet. Projection is below average and longevity is average at 8-9 hours on skin.

Coup de Coeur was a surprising scent indeed. When it first opened I got the mint leaf and lavender, but was fearing that might be all the scent had to offer. That said, as the fragrance opened up in the heart phase the promised tobacco and cedar definitely delivered as did the orange blossom to a lesser degree and the incense heavily late among others. The fragrance unlike most of the releases from L'Antichambre is quite complex and changes gears several times through its development, giving the wearer a real treat. The early heart phase where the tobacco and cedar emerge seemingly out of nowhere is probably my favorite part of the development, but I enjoyed all of it. Those seeking a more complex and well executed ever-changing fragrance that seems to have a little bit of everything should seek out the "very good" to "excellent" smelling 3.5 to 4 star rated Coup de Coeur as it most likely will be a pleasant surprise.

(end of mini-review)

Final Thoughts on the house...

Any time you have a house that releases 12 fragrances all at once it is cause for potential confusion and maybe even concern... In this case I did find that most of the releases were either very good or excellent smelling and that is pretty impressive considering the quantity released. That said, if I were making some general observations, at least to my nose the minimalist gourmand and semi-gourmands tend to be where the house shines brightest and fans of gourmands will most likely be their primary buyers over time. I think Le Speculoos was my favorite of all the releases and it is quite frankly one of the best smelling gourmands I have tried to date. I am still not sure if I will add it to my collection due to its not being the kind of fragrance I generally wear, but every time I think of that buttery open it brings a smile to my face, so maybe a bottle might be in order in time.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Complementing drseid's great reviews - here's Katie Puckrik's take on some of the L'Antichambre fragrances:

Katie Puckrik Smells - L'Antichambre
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

Is Luckscent the only option for mail order from this line? I live in London and it seems ridiculous to have to order from the States when the product is European.

Basenotes Plus

I emailed them a month ago to request information on samples and they've yet to get back to me. Customer service = not stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post

Any time you have a house that releases 12 fragrances all at once it is cause for potential confusion and maybe even concern... In this case I did find that most of the releases were either very good or excellent smelling and that is pretty impressive considering the quantity released. That said, if I were making some general observations, at least to my nose the minimalist gourmand and semi-gourmands tend to be where the house shines brightest and fans of gourmands will most likely be their primary buyers over time. I think Le Speculoos was my favorite of all the releases and it is quite frankly one of the best smelling gourmands I have tried to date. I am still not sure if I will add it to my collection due to its not being the kind of fragrance I generally wear, but every time I think of that buttery open it brings a smile to my face, so maybe a bottle might be in order in time.

but who said they released 12 fragrances all at once? They existed before luckyscent discovers them and they have more than 12 fragrance in their repertoire!

thanks for the reviews by the way