Code of Conduct

Default L'Antichambre - Belgian Fragrances, Anyone?

Browsing and lusting after scents on Luckyscent, I found L'Antichambre listed. Five minutes later I received an email from Luckyscent introducing this house, which I hadn't heard of...not that that's surprising in itself.

Here's a bit of description from the Luckyscent site:

Imaginatively conceived in Brussels and impeccably executed in Grasse – L’Antichambre offers a unique and gorgeously evocative point of view. These are fragrances that take you on a journey. We have selected our very favorites from Anne Pascale’s line to share with you, including a fragrance created just for Luckyscent... the exquisite Coup de Coeur.

Many of the fragrances sound intriguing and there's a L'Antichambre Sample Pack consisting of the following 12 .7 ml vials:

* L’Ombre Cachee
    * Le Tabac
    * Le Voyageur Indiscret
    * Coup de Coeur
    * La Lecon de Musique
    * La Raison Pure
    * Le Sourire de Diable
    * Le Message Oublie
    * Le Poivre Rose
    * La Memoire Retrouvee
    * Le Chocolat Ambre
    * Le Speculoos

They all appear to be Parfum Extrait's.

Anyone have any additional information on this house or any of their fragrances?
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

Default Re: L'Antichambre - Belgian Fragrances, Anyone?

Wouldn't mind checking out Le Tabac.

Dependent

I find it difficult to get an idea of a line when so many arrive at once. I'll be rolling down to Scent Bar soon to check em out.

Le Tabac (& Le Chocolate Ambre) sound interesting...

Interested in knowing more about this.

I'm dying to try the Le Speculoos. They are one of my favourite biscuits so it would be interesting to see how they manage to pull off the different spices. Le Tabac also sounds good.

Sound Scents

Le Message Oublie sounds heavenly to me... Just about all my favorite notes in one scent. I look forward to trying that one in particular.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Le Message Oublie sounds heavenly to me... Just about all my favorite notes in one scent. I look forward to trying that one in particular.
    bitter orange, hot pepper, carnation, nutmeg, black tea, geranium, birch, atlas cedar, vetiver, pine resin, leather, styrax resin, smoked tobacco

This does sound amazing. Has anyone tried any of these yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
    bitter orange, hot pepper, carnation, nutmeg, black tea, geranium, birch, atlas cedar, vetiver, pine resin, leather, styrax resin, smoked tobacco

I definitely need to try that!

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post

My sample should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out on skin... I will report back once I do.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

looking forward to sample this line

wonder if there will be any gems within this line

some of them sound promising

- - - Updated - - -

My sample should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out on skin... I will report back once I do.
    looking forward to your 1st impression on these
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Definitely looking forward to some initial impressions!
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

ACJIGGA'S FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Millesime Imperial, Carolina Herrera Chic for Men, Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme EDP, Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud & Slumberhouse Jeke extrait

Some of these sound interesting, but the sample packs appear to be gone. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Some of these sound interesting, but the sample packs appear to be gone. :-(
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...13-Antichambre

Currently splitting:

Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

I recently had an opportunity to sample three of them.

L’Ombre Cachee
    Le Voyageur Indiscret
    Le Poivre Rose

There seems to be some commonalities from this line, at least based on these three. Good quality ingredients. Kind of a close to the skin, but not always(you'll get what I'm trying to say when you sample), but with some good tenacity. They don't scream at you, but don't under estimate their strength. They stay around, and when you're least expected you get a nice whiff of the scent. Le Voyageur Indiscret seems like it's not there, only to keep surprising you with this aromatic polished wood combo that is outstanding.

L’Ombre Cachee is an exotic smokey, woody leather affair sweetened with cashmeran. Sounds weird, smells good if you enjoy juxtapostions as much as I do.

Le Poivre Rose - This one is just a wee bit too light for my tastes, but is still a nice pink pepper scent with all the spices nicely balanced.
    Last edited by thebeck; 27th February 2013 at 02:19 PM.

Sound Scents

Le Message Oublie

Le Message Oublie opens with a strong natural smelling pine in the same vein as Norne by Slumberhouse, but as the scent enters the heart phase it adds smoky incense and leather with a subtle woody cedar and effervescent vetiver backbone, displaying mild sweetness that is closer to the overall spirit of Arso by Profumum actually (though less sweet). The late dry-down is much softer with the vetiver now really shining through as the pine all but disappears, with just hints of tobacco supporting it. The blending is so well-done that picking out individual notes is quite difficult late. Projection is slightly above average and longevity is excellent with at least 12 hours on skin.

While the official list of notes is rather extensive and impressive: bitter orange, hot pepper, carnation, nutmeg, black tea, geranium, birch, atlas cedar, vetiver, pine resin, leather, styrax resin, smoked tobacco ... a lot of these like the hot pepper and black tea are sadly MIA on paper and on skin to my nose, at least... The pine really is the star here and the vetiver, leather and birch play key supporting roles. While I expected a very different scent based on the official list of notes, Le Message Oublie is what the disappointing Arso really should have been and is a quite successful composition on the whole. It is an excellent smelling 4 star out of 5 release that gives me great hope this relatively new house has some other winners waiting to be found...
    Last edited by drseid; 16th March 2013 at 09:53 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Le Chocolat Ambre was nice. The lemon opening balanced out the amber and cocoa for me. It reminded me of Pure Havanes dry down a bit.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

Le Sourire de Diable - remind me of a niche version of Gucci Pour Homme I (the discontinued version from Tom Ford)

i really enjoy Le Tabac, it has the tobacco leaf vibe from Tobacco Vanille and the sweetness of Honey and Vanilla from Back to Black.

Currently splitting:

Sound Scents

Le Speculoos by L’Antichambre

Le Speculoos opens with a very natural smelling light cinnamon spiced melted butter accord. The gently spiced butter remains into the heart, as it is joined by relatively sweet nutmeg and clove-laced vanilla that grows in strength as the scent develops. The vanilla is more of the extract slightly boozy variety and not powdery at all. As the fragrance reaches the late dry-down the spice and butter all but fade away, leaving the vanilla in a heavily subdued solo state. In general the scent is very linear in its progression from start to finish. Projection is below average and longevity is average to slightly above average at 8-10 hours on skin.

Le Speculoos is supposed to mimic the fragrance of Belgian Speculoos cookies. I confess I have never smelled or even heard of them before, so I have no idea if the fragrance succeeds at its goal. What I *can* say is that if the cookies smell anything like Le Speculoos, I will make it my life's goal to track them down and get my hands on some because they must smell (and I dare say taste) absolutely heavenly. The spiced hot butter opening of the scent is the best part as it almost reminds me of hot buttered rum. I usually dislike gourmands with a passion, but that open already had me hooked from the get-go and the high quality mildly spiced vanilla used here sealed the deal. If I had any minor gripe with Le Speculoos, it would be while the smell is absolutely delicious, I am not quite sure it is something I would want to wear all day. This is more the kind of fragrance a high-end bakery should use to make sure people salivate over the smell of their fine goods, clinching the sale. Versatility aside, there is no doubt in my mind that Le Speculoos should top the sampling list of just about any gourmand fragrance lover, earning a strong 4 star out of 5 "excellent" rating. With Le Speculoos, I finally have a relatively sweet gourmand I can recommend without reservation!
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

This is the one I've been wanting to try, so thanks for the review drseid - I love speculoos (as in, the biscuits) and your review sounds as if the scent may have nailed it. So yes I would encourage you to try and track down the Lotus biscuits that chopwet mentioned - they are probably better eaten than worn!

If I had any minor gripe with Le Speculoos, it would be while the smell is absolutely delicious, I am not quite sure it is something I would want to wear all day.
    Absolutely - this is why I (still) seek out the gourmands that I want to sniff even though I almost never end up buying FBs of them (as it is, the samples and decants sit around doing nothing).

Sound Scents

Still going through my sample pack... Up next is...

La Memoire Retrouvee

La Memoire Retrouvee opens with a gorgeous almost ginger-like cinnamon spiced orange accord. During the heart phase, the spiced orange takes a back seat to a strong powdery iris and cocoa powder tandem that remain the co-stars of the scent through the end of its relatively linear development. During the late dry-down the powdery semi-gourmand assault continues, sweetened slightly by sandalwood in the scent's base. Projection is above average and longevity is average at about 8-9 hours on skin.

The spiced orange opening to La Memoire Retrouvee is absolutely incredible smelling, and after trying all the initial twelve scents in the line briefly I singled it out as the one I thought smelled the best initially. Unfortunately, while things start off with a bang, they end up as a semi-gourmand powdery iris and cocoa powder assault that is quite popular with many, but not I. Iris and powdery cocoa are notes I tend to run from like the plague and they are certainly the stars here. The powdery cocoa is a bit more prominent than the iris as time passes, but the end result comes off as very similar. The execution really is quite good, and those that enjoy semi-gourmands should find a lot to love with the "good" to "very good" smelling 3 to 3.5 star out of 5 La Memoire Retrouvee, but alas for me this one can be appreciated but is not to my taste.

- - - Updated - - -

And yet another one today...

Le Voyageur Indiscret

Le Voyageur Indiscret opens with a blast of dry fiery cinnamon spice. As the fragrance enters its heart phase the cinnamon remains nearly in full force, diminishing just enough to reveal a fine nutmeg note that couples with the cinnamon as the scent's co-stars. As the relatively linear progression continues to the late dry-down, a very natural smelling but well-concealed cedarwood backbone underpins the dry spice and becomes just slightly more visible as the spice gradually recedes at the end of the scent's development. Projection is slightly below average and longevity is average at about 8-9 hours on skin.

Le Voyageur Indiscret is a spicy scent all the way. This minimalist linear scent focuses on the cinnamon and nutmeg spice nearly from start to finish with the supporting cedar never calling attention to itself, yet still effectively adding another dimension to the composition. I love cinnamon and fiery spicy scents in general so it should come as no surprise I loved the composition and was completely hooked early-on. While hooked I was, those expecting a complex ever-changing composition should move right past this one as it is a spicy/woody composition all the way that does not evolve much. Le Voyageur Indiscret is also not much of a projector, but it is not a skin scent either. All in all, if you like cinnamon-driven compositions as I do and can get beyond the composition's minimalist linear nature, Le Voyageur Indiscret is excellent smelling and earns an enthusiastic 4 stars out of 5 overall.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Le Speculoos by L’Antichambre

Le Speculoos opens with a very natural smelling light cinnamon spiced melted butter accord. The gently spiced butter remains into the heart, as it is joined by relatively sweet nutmeg and clove-laced vanilla that grows in strength as the scent develops. The vanilla is more of the extract slightly boozy variety and not powdery at all. As the fragrance reaches the late dry-down the spice and butter all but fade away, leaving the vanilla in a heavily subdued solo state. In general the scent is very linear in its progression from start to finish. Projection is below average and longevity is average to slightly above average at 8-10 hours on skin.

Le Speculoos is supposed to mimic the fragrance of Belgian Speculoos cookies. I confess I have never smelled or even heard of them before, so I have no idea if the fragrance succeeds at its goal. What I *can* say is that if the cookies smell anything like Le Speculoos, I will make it my life's goal to track them down and get my hands on some because they must smell (and I dare say taste) absolutely heavenly. The spiced hot butter opening of the scent is the best part as it almost reminds me of hot buttered rum. I usually dislike gourmands with a passion, but that open already had me hooked from the get-go and the high quality mildly spiced vanilla used here sealed the deal. If I had any minor gripe with Le Speculoos, it would be while the smell is absolutely delicious, I am not quite sure it is something I would want to wear all day. This is more the kind of fragrance a high-end bakery should use to make sure people salivate over the smell of their fine goods, clinching the sale. Versatility aside, there is no doubt in my mind that Le Speculoos should top the sampling list of just about any gourmand fragrance lover, earning a strong 4 star out of 5 "excellent" rating. With Le Speculoos, I finally have a relatively sweet gourmand I can recommend without reservation!
    Thanks for this, sounds very much like the biscuits. I ate a brunch of crepes filled with Speculoos spread. I have to try this fragrance now!

Dependent

Excellent reviews drseid! Thanks

I've sampled six of these and I liked five of them and found at least one FBW, Le Message Oublie. This is a beautiful fragrance that captures so many things I love. It's very naturally woody and has a nice incense vibe, but it also smells really human. The reviewer that compared it to Norne and Arso is in the ballpark. I'm not sure I love it as much as those two, but I might. It's certainly something anybody who loves those should check out. I also really like Le Voyageur Indescret and Le Sourire de Diable, although the latter reminds me a bit of Serge Noire, but without the spices being burnt. I like the edgier burnt Serge Noire better. This is definitely a house worth sampling.

Sound Scents

Up today is the next of my samples as I continue to work through the balance of my sample pack...

La Raison Pure

La Raison Pure opens with an extremely light spray of gentle black pepper and peppery herbal sage before transitioning to its woody incense heart. The woody incense heart accord is quite liquid smooth as it melds with just the faintest hint of the highly dissipated pepper notes from the open. In the late dry-down the incense slightly recedes to allow the cedar to shine more brightly as the minimalist scent abruptly comes to the end of its quite linear life-cycle. Projection is minimal and longevity is below average at about 6 hours on skin.

After getting past the slightly different peppery spicy/herbal top notes, I was certainly enjoying the smooth woody incense heart of La Raison Pure before it dawned on me that the accord smelled extremely familiar... It really should not have taken me as long as it did to realize that the heart accord I was smelling here is *extremely* similar to a favorite of mine released last year that I added to my collection called LiquidNight by A Lab On Fire. LiquidNight utilizes hinoki instead of cedar wood to meld with the smooth incense, but the end result is very close indeed. Maybe the La Raison Pure smells just a tad more natural and less sweet on the whole (actually La Raison Pure is not sweet at all, as it lacks the vanilla in the base of LiquidNight), but it fares far worse in the performance department with its inferior projection and longevity. My guess is after the top notes it would be hard for most to tell the two scents apart and I find it hard to recommend La Raison Pure accordingly as LiquidNight sells for $110 for 60ml versus $170 for 50ml of La Raison Pure. To be fair, the latter is a parfum strength versus an eau de parfum of the former; but as LiquidNight smells just as good if not better on the whole with much better performance, the concentration differentials don't appear to mean much. While I can't recommend it for purchase due to LiquidNight being the better value, La Raison Pure certainly smells very good and earns a strong 3.5 to 4 star out of 5 rating.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Still going through my sample pack... Up next is...

La Memoire Retrouvee

La Memoire Retrouvee opens with a gorgeous almost ginger-like cinnamon spiced orange accord. During the heart phase, the spiced orange takes a back seat to a strong powdery iris and cocoa powder tandem that remain the co-stars of the scent through the end of its relatively linear development. During the late dry-down the powdery semi-gourmand assault continues, sweetened slightly by sandalwood in the scent's base. Projection is above average and longevity is average at about 8-9 hours on skin.

The spiced orange opening to La Memoire Retrouvee is absolutely incredible smelling, and after trying all the initial twelve scents in the line briefly I singled it out as the one I thought smelled the best initially. Unfortunately, while things start off with a bang, they end up as a semi-gourmand powdery iris and cocoa powder assault that is quite popular with many, but not I. Iris and powdery cocoa are notes I tend to run from like the plague and they are certainly the stars here. The powdery cocoa is a bit more prominent than the iris as time passes, but the end result comes off as very similar. The execution really is quite good, and those that enjoy semi-gourmands should find a lot to love with the "good" to "very good" smelling 3 to 3.5 star out of 5 La Memoire Retrouvee, but alas for me this one can be appreciated but is not to my taste.

- - - Updated - - -

And yet another one today...

Le Voyageur Indiscret

Le Voyageur Indiscret opens with a blast of dry fiery cinnamon spice. As the fragrance enters its heart phase the cinnamon remains nearly in full force, diminishing just enough to reveal a fine nutmeg note that couples with the cinnamon as the scent's co-stars. As the relatively linear progression continues to the late dry-down, a very natural smelling but well-concealed cedarwood backbone underpins the dry spice and becomes just slightly more visible as the spice gradually recedes at the end of the scent's development. Projection is slightly below average and longevity is average at about 8-9 hours on skin.

Le Voyageur Indiscret is a spicy scent all the way. This minimalist linear scent focuses on the cinnamon and nutmeg spice nearly from start to finish with the supporting cedar never calling attention to itself, yet still effectively adding another dimension to the composition. I love cinnamon and fiery spicy scents in general so it should come as no surprise I loved the composition and was completely hooked early-on. While hooked I was, those expecting a complex ever-changing composition should move right past this one as it is a spicy/woody composition all the way that does not evolve much. Le Voyageur Indiscret is also not much of a projector, but it is not a skin scent either. All in all, if you like cinnamon-driven compositions as I do and can get beyond the composition's minimalist linear nature, Le Voyageur Indiscret is excellent smelling and earns an enthusiastic 4 stars out of 5 overall.
    As usual, your descriptions are very accurate. One thing I would like to add since I've spent five separate days sampling Le Voyageur Indiscret. I found the projection to be very good. You can get wafts of it all day. I agree with your 4 star rating.

Also agree with your Speculoos review. Only I give it a strong 4.5 stars because I'm a gourmand lover, and Speculoos was love at first whiff for me.

Le Tabac - Outstanding!!!

Le Poivre Rose - I don't seem to be thrilled the day I'm wearing it, but the next morning will sure give your nose a thrill. I sampled last night, and when I got on the computer soon after I got up, I kept asking myself. What's that great smell. I had forgotten I gave myself a shot of Le Poivre Rose right after dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Le Tabac - Outstanding!!!
    agreeing with you thebeck,

tried the whole line and Le Tabac is the most standout for me, loving it

a more complex version of Tobacco Vanille and Back to Black

- - - Updated - - -

Le Chocolat Ambre = Swiss chocolate in a bottle!!*

*warning - you might be bitten by a random stranger when wearing this
    Last edited by HDDP; 20th March 2013 at 10:35 PM.

Currently splitting:

Sound Scents

The next one up today is...

L'Ombre Cachee

L'Ombre Cachee opens with a blast of rubbery Oud that remains well into the heart notes and obscures just about everything else in its path. At times one can smell brief whiffs of natural cedar in the early heart, but the relatively opaque Oud does not allow much through. Supporting the dominant Oud and slight supporting cedar wood throughout is an underlying supporting dark smoldering incense accord that acts as the scent's backbone. In the late dry-down the Oud recedes just enough to allow a just slightly sweet amber to peek through before the overall fragrance gradually fades away. Projection is excellent and so is longevity at 11-12 hours on skin.

L'Ombre Cachee is all rubbery Oud all the time. There is not much going on that I could detect because all the supporting notes are just completely quashed by agar-wood assault. I have never been the greatest fan of Oud dominant fragrances (preferring it as either a supporting note or one that is so well-blended it doesn't call much attention to itself), so it should come as no surprise that L'Ombre Cachee with its dominant Oud focus did not really mesh with my tastes. The sparse supporting cedar that *was* detectable was quite nice, but there was so little of it I had to debate whether it was even worth a mention. My preferences aside, Oud fans that prefer the note as the sole focus may find there is a lot to love here and performance-wise this is the best from L'Antichambre I have sniffed by far. The bottom line is L'Ombre Cachee does not really do a good job of letting the supporting non-Oud notes/accords emerge from their overarching Oud shadow, yielding an above average but slightly disappointing 2.5 to 3 star out of 5 rating on the whole. Not recommended, except to Oud fanatics.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

People like Drseid (there are others, like Sculpture of Soul, the_good_life, Dullah, Sir Buzzlepuff.... and the list is only started, far from complete) make subscribing to these forums worthwhile.

Not trying to get personality cults started here, just sayin' . Sometimes good things have to be mentioned and offered thanks for. [Otherwise we're reduced to endless bitchin' ]

Such as cogent, well-written vignettes that give one a fair idea of what to expect from an unknown fragrance. Thank you, gentlemen.
    Last edited by EndlesslySurprised; 21st March 2013 at 10:37 PM.

Sound Scents

Today I take a look at the next scent in my sample pack (and by far the most difficult one to figure out...):

Le Sourire du Diable

Le Sourire du Diable opens with a very complex and conflicted spicy mixture that features cumin and maybe even a black peppery accord. The spice driven fragrance settles down a bit in the early heart as the cumin and peppery mixture join natural ginger and what appears to be waxy iris with just a slight hint of underlying Oud that is barely detectable. During the late dry-down, the cumin is still present but now well in the background as a complex amber-laced accord emulating slightly sweet camphorous myrrh and sparkling vetiver takes the fore (though neither are listed as official notes). Projection is excellent and longevity exceptional at well over 12 hours on skin.

Le Sourire du Diable is a roller-coaster ride for sure. Its rather haphazard spicy open just seems to have all the early notes fighting one other and things don't look too promising. As the scent enters the heart phase the cumin and peppery opening accord (maybe unlisted angelica?) meld with balancing ginger as a very (also unlisted) waxy iris-like supporting note joins them. At this point I am thinking the overall effect smells very much like a cross between Cartier's cumin and waxy iris driven Declaration and its ginger driven Declaration Cologne flanker. The hybrid result is actually not too bad as the ginger takes a bit of the sting off the cumin here unlike in the original Declaration where its just too much. During the late dry-down things evolve yet again with this time the fragrance going in a completely different direction as I get an accord resembling the dry-down of the horrible Eau Sauvage Parfum but unlike that abomination, this is a much more pleasant implementation that does not gnaw at you over time. All in all Le Sourire du Diable starts off a mess and evolves into something almost pleasant though not completely successful, earning a relatively tenuous "good" 3 stars out of 5 rating. Declaration fans will most likely enjoy this more than I but the cumin still was too much for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the next random fragrance pulled out of my sample pack for today...

La Lecon de Musique

La Lecon de Musique opens with a quite pleasant smelling passion fruit citrus over white florals with a faint black currant undertone. As the scent enters the heart phase the black currant that never was prominent to begin with disappears completely leaving the passion fruit and white florals remaining as co-stars. As the scent enters the late dry-down the passion fruit and florals recede, allowing a most likely synthetic light musk from the base to take the fore, supported by an underlying slight woody backbone. Projection is average and longevity is average to slightly above average at 9-10 hours on skin.

As soon as I sprayed La Lecon de Musique on skin I knew this one had "fruity white floral" all over it. It is very fresh, quite pleasant smelling and leans heavily to the "feminine" side of the spectrum (if you believe in such things). While white florals are not the kind of accords I generally wear, I really did not have a problem feeling comfortable wearing La Lecon de Musique, most likely due to the underlying woody spine that while undetectable for most of the scent's development, adds an intangible counter-balance to the white florals, keeping them well in-check. That said, while I enjoyed my time with La Lecon de Musique, I have no doubt that I would prefer smelling this particular fragrance on a lady (and I am pretty sure that women are indeed the target market for the composition). The bottom line verdict for La Lecon de Musique is that while it is minimalist, quite linear and not particularly innovative, there is no doubt that it is well-executed and smells great, earning a "very good" overall rating of 3.5 stars out of 5.

- - - Updated - - -

The next one today is...

Le Tabac

Le Tabac opens with a sweet baked cinnamon apple pie accord with underlying pipe tobacco. As the fragrance enters its early heart the pipe tobacco emerges from the shadows as the real star with a very sweet honey accord as co-star. Just underneath the honeyed pipe tobacco lies a slightly indolic floral undertone that shrinks as time passes until undetectable by the end of the heart phase. During the late dry-down the honeyed pipe tobacco recedes to reveal patchouli grounding the composition from its base. Projection is average and longevity is very good to excellent at over 10 hours on skin.

Le Tabac is a relatively simplistic minimalist composition, but what it lacks in complexity it makes up in quality and execution. The honeyed pipe tobacco accord used here is the best I have sniffed to date, besting mainstays in the subcategory like Back to Black by By Kilian (which it most closely resembles until the late dry-down where Back to Black turns powdery and Le Tabac does not) and Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford. Folks seeking a relatively sweet pipe tobacco scent need not look further than this reference quality 4 star out of 5 rated excellent one.

- - - Updated - - -

Coming down the home stretch, here are my thoughts on the first of my final three samples...

Le Chocolat Ambre

Le Chocolat Ambre opens with a sweet natural smelling milk chocolate accord with just the faintest hint of an amber undertone. As it moves to the early heart phase the milk chocolate remains but the sweetness dies down just a hair as a boozy vanilla extract emerges and grows in strength until it overshadows the the milk chocolate, but only just. During the late dry-down the vanilla extract dissipates as slightly sweet amber from the base reveals itself to meld with the remnants of the milk chocolate. Projection is slightly below average to average and longevity is average at about 8 hours on skin.

Le Chocolat Ambre broadcasts two of its starring ingredients in its name but they could have easily added vanille in there too, as during the heart phase the fragrance is just as much about vanilla extract as it is milk chocolate. The fragrance is highly minimalist and linear (something that seems to be a hallmark of most of the releases from L'Antichambre), with the milk chocolate arriving at the open before a milk chocolate and vanilla extract middle and finally milk chocolate and amber late. Other than those three notes I am hard-pressed to detect anything else going on as published notes of lemon and jasmine are completely MIA. The bottom line is that while gourmands are not really my thing, it does seem like L'Antichambre has a real knack for putting out superior smelling ones and Le Chocolat Ambre is no exception. If you are looking for a high quality chocolate vanilla and amber gourmand fragrance this release is definitely for you, earning an "excellent" rating of 4 stars out of 5.

- - - Updated - - -

On today to the first of my final two samples...

Le Poivre Rose

Le Poivre Rose opens with a gentle spray of pink pepper that remains well into the heart phase. Later in the heart the pepper is joined by a faint but slowly growing cedar as support. As the fragrance enters the late dry-down the pepper fades to a just detectable level, as the cedar takes the fore though never prominent. Projection is below average, and so is longevity at 6-7 hours on skin.

Le Poivre Rose is pink pepper over subtle cedar wood minimalist composition all the way. The scent profile is quite linear and rather restrained from start to finish. I love pepper and cedar for sure, but am more than a bit disappointed in this release from L'Antichambre despite it delivering on its featured note, as there really is not much more to the composition and published notes like the frankincense and clary sage apparently are so minimally implemented that I can't detect them at all. Quite frankly, even the listed cedar that *is* present is not very prominent, with the gentle pink pepper the obvious sole focus. With many less expensive (and dare I say more interesting) spicy/woody compositions featuring pepper on the market (Tzora by Anat Fritz for one) I find it hard to recommend Le Poivre Rose at its relatively lofty $170 for 50ml price tag. The bottom line is this 3 star out of 5 rated release smells good, but offers a poor value compared to others that smell better for less.
    Last edited by drseid; 27th March 2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Edited slightly for content...
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Dependent

This is yet another example of a perfume company rushing releases to market. I think they should start with two fragrances max. Two GREAT fragrances that really put them on the map. Marketing

The next one up today is...

L'Ombre Cachee

L'Ombre Cachee opens with a blast of rubbery Oud that remains well into the heart notes and obscures just about everything else in its path. At times one can smell brief whiffs of natural cedar in the early heart, but the relatively opaque Oud does not allow much through. Supporting the dominant Oud and slight supporting cedar wood throughout is an underlying supporting dark smoldering incense accord that acts as the scent's backbone. In the late dry-down the Oud recedes just enough to allow a just slightly sweet amber to peek through before the overall fragrance gradually fades away. Projection is excellent and so is longevity at 11-12 hours on skin.

L'Ombre Cachee is all rubbery Oud all the time. There is not much going on that I could detect because all the supporting notes are just completely quashed by agar-wood assault. I have never been the greatest fan of Oud dominant fragrances (preferring it as either a supporting note or one that is so well-blended it doesn't call much attention to itself), so it should come as no surprise that L'Ombre Cachee with its dominant Oud focus did not really mesh with my tastes. The sparse supporting cedar that *was* detectable was quite nice, but there was so little of it I had to debate whether it was even worth a mention. My preferences aside, Oud fans that prefer the note as the sole focus may find there is a lot to love here and performance-wise this is the best from L'Antichambre I have sniffed by far. The bottom line is L'Ombre Cachee does not really do a good job of letting the supporting non-Oud notes/accords emerge from their overarching Oud shadow, yielding an above average but slightly disappointing 2.5 to 3 star out of 5 rating on the whole. Not recommended, except to Oud fanatics.
    Brilliant Reviews! Thank you.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

Sound Scents

Here is the final fragrance from my sample pack, worn yesterday (this is the LuckyScent exclusive)...

Coup de Coeur

Coup de Coeur opens with a complex combination of fresh mint leaf and mildly aromatic lavender with hints of herbaceous clary sage peeping through. As the fragrance enters its early heart traces of the lavender, herbs and mint remain as it turns darker with a woody earthy vibe driven by a dry unsweetened tobacco leaf accord with key cedar support. While all this is going on, if one pays close attention an all too brief mild, slightly indolic orange blossom note lies underneath the herb-laced tobacco and wood though disappears shortly thereafter. As the heart phase progresses the cedar increases in intensity to gain as much strength as the tobacco leaf, as they are both now joined by an ever growing burnt incense that by the end of the heart phase is the dominant accord. During the late dry-down the earlier notes diminish near completely save the now starring incense and supporting cedar, finally joined by base notes of patchouli and amber that never turn the scent anything more than just slightly sweet. Projection is below average and longevity is average at 8-9 hours on skin.

Coup de Coeur was a surprising scent indeed. When it first opened I got the mint leaf and lavender, but was fearing that might be all the scent had to offer. That said, as the fragrance opened up in the heart phase the promised tobacco and cedar definitely delivered as did the orange blossom to a lesser degree and the incense heavily late among others. The fragrance unlike most of the releases from L'Antichambre is quite complex and changes gears several times through its development, giving the wearer a real treat. The early heart phase where the tobacco and cedar emerge seemingly out of nowhere is probably my favorite part of the development, but I enjoyed all of it. Those seeking a more complex and well executed ever-changing fragrance that seems to have a little bit of everything should seek out the "very good" to "excellent" smelling 3.5 to 4 star rated Coup de Coeur as it most likely will be a pleasant surprise.

(end of mini-review)

Final Thoughts on the house...

Any time you have a house that releases 12 fragrances all at once it is cause for potential confusion and maybe even concern... In this case I did find that most of the releases were either very good or excellent smelling and that is pretty impressive considering the quantity released. That said, if I were making some general observations, at least to my nose the minimalist gourmand and semi-gourmands tend to be where the house shines brightest and fans of gourmands will most likely be their primary buyers over time. I think Le Speculoos was my favorite of all the releases and it is quite frankly one of the best smelling gourmands I have tried to date. I am still not sure if I will add it to my collection due to its not being the kind of fragrance I generally wear, but every time I think of that buttery open it brings a smile to my face, so maybe a bottle might be in order in time.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Complementing drseid's great reviews - here's Katie Puckrik's take on some of the L'Antichambre fragrances:

Katie Puckrik Smells - L'Antichambre
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

Is Luckscent the only option for mail order from this line? I live in London and it seems ridiculous to have to order from the States when the product is European.

Basenotes Plus

I emailed them a month ago to request information on samples and they've yet to get back to me. Customer service = not stellar.

Any time you have a house that releases 12 fragrances all at once it is cause for potential confusion and maybe even concern... In this case I did find that most of the releases were either very good or excellent smelling and that is pretty impressive considering the quantity released. That said, if I were making some general observations, at least to my nose the minimalist gourmand and semi-gourmands tend to be where the house shines brightest and fans of gourmands will most likely be their primary buyers over time. I think Le Speculoos was my favorite of all the releases and it is quite frankly one of the best smelling gourmands I have tried to date. I am still not sure if I will add it to my collection due to its not being the kind of fragrance I generally wear, but every time I think of that buttery open it brings a smile to my face, so maybe a bottle might be in order in time.

but who said they released 12 fragrances all at once? They existed before luckyscent discovers them and they have more than 12 fragrance in their repertoire!

thanks for the reviews by the way