Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts on Amouage Lyric Man?

I tried Lyric Man and Jubilation XXV Man today. Instantly fell in love with Jubilation XXV but found Lyric Man just to be average and a bit feminine. Memoir Man was a complete no for me.
    What are your thoughts on Lyric Man?

What other Amouages are worth testing? Some people from other threads recommended Interlude Man and Epic Man, so will definitely try those out.

Also if anyone wants to swap Amouage samples for my 10ml Lyric Man decant, please pm me. I also have official Amouage Memoir Man sample 1.5ml for swap.

Default Re: Thoughts on Amouage Lyric Man?

Nice incense rose scent, but a bit too feminine for me.

At very first sniff, I found Lyric man insultingly bad on several levels. Still do.

With so many truly great, noticably masculine Rose scents on the market, for a house with the prestige, price point and most importantly, regional history/lineage of Amouage.............to release Lyric Man as their flagship Rose scent is shameful. It's very soft, powdery, femme, and synthetic.

These are the true top choice masculine rose scents:

Creed Windsor
    Czech & Speake No. 88
    Kilian Rose Oud
    Le Labo Rose 31
    Chanel Egoiste
    Washington Tremlett Black Tie
    Andy Tauer Incense Rose

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    What other Amouages are worth testing?
    if you like Jubilation XXV, definitely try Interlude Man and Opus IV. Ciel Man is another favorite of mine, but you'd have to like peachy-floral-aquatics with light wood and spice.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Yup I found it a bit feminine.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    At very first sniff, I found Lyric man insultingly bad on several levels. Still do.

With so many truly great, noticably masculine Rose scents on the market, for a house with the prestige, price point and most importantly, regional history/lineage of Amouage.............to release Lyric Man as their flagship Rose scent is shameful. It's very soft, powdery, femme, and synthetic.

These are the true top choice masculine rose scents:

Creed Windsor
    Czech & Speake No. 88
    Kilian Rose Oud
    Le Labo Rose 31
    Chanel Egoiste
    Washington Tremlett Black Tie
    Andy Tauer Incense Rose

- - - Updated - - -

if you like Jubilation XXV, definitely try Interlude Man and Opus IV. Ciel Man is another favorite of mine, but you'd have to like peachy-floral-aquatics with light wood and spice.
    Thanks a lot Dullah. You seem very experienced.
    Le Labo Rose 31 is my favourite Rose scent to date and it's masculine. I will definitely try the other ones you mentioned.

Lyric Man is good and very longlived. It is not worth the big cash Amouage asks for IMO. The endless discussion about it being 'feminine' or not is plain ridiculous.

I love it! Although I do understand the 'feminine' discussion. I really disliked it at first try, probably because I expected something completely different. To me it smelled like an expensive rose scented soap for middle aged ladies, but after a couple more tries I totally love it now! And it has incredible longevity and projection on my skin, probably the best of all fragrances I've tried...

it's good, but not great

a little bit feminine for my taste
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

What other Amouages are worth testing? Some people from other threads recommended Interlude Man and Epic Man, so will definitely try those out.
    If incense is your thing, then Epic Man is definitely worth trying. It really is "epic". Long lasting, masculine, quite versatile and yet the oud in it is noticeable, yet not "in your face".

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Lyric Man is good and very longlived. It is not worth the big cash Amouage asks for IMO.
    Exactly true to me too!

I'm generally not a fan of rose-centered fragrances but those I like are generally denser and less watery. Lyric Man was a no-no in my book...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I like jubilation and epic man better than lyric
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

I think Lyric Man is one of the best damn scents I've ever smelled. It is a superb oriental rose with deep incense and it exemplifies lush richenss. I do not think Amouage is a good house and the simple fact that they charge $255 for 50 mls and $305 for 100 mls is horribly sleazy to me.

Sound Scents

I love it and find it quite natural smelling. That said, I can't wear it, as I too found it a bit too far on the "feminine" spectrum to my taste. I would love it on a woman, however.

As to other scents from Amouage to sample, my recommendation is Dia Man. It is one of the most accessible scents from the house, and IMO the best.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Lyric Man was slightly feminine to me also. Jubilation XXV is very good.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I love Lyric Man. It's a subdued rather elegant take on floral incense, with a nuanced rose. Next to this immaculate gentleman Le Labo's Rose 31 comes across like a hillbilly, rough around the edges - a quality some might interpret as 'more masculine'. But I can understand the reservations esp. if one is not comfortable wearing rose or floral fragrances in general, and vintage florals in particular.

As for the comment judging the quality of a house by the price it charges, that's just your wallet talking. Not your nose.

For rose based - Penhaligons Hammam Bouquet, Montale's Black Aoud & Attar, L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses & Domenico Caraceni 1913

Amouage - Try Epic, Dia, Reflection, their Attars (Tribute, Homage & few more older ones)...

Not a fan of this fragrance.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I love Lyric Man and don't think it is "feminine". Perhaps that is how quality rose and incense are meant to smell.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I have a bottle of this for sale if anyone is interested Great frag but just never really reach for it these days.

I like Lyric Man. It is very heavy on the rose, so it can slide a little to the feminine side, but not as much as many other rose fragrances.

Jubilation XXV and Epic Man are the best of that house - by far IMO. But others are not bad.

The only one I detest from that house is Interlude Man.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    +1 . Far from unisex.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I love Lyric Man. It's a subdued rather elegant take on floral incense, with a nuanced rose. Next to this immaculate gentleman Le Labo's Rose 31 comes across like a hillbilly, rough around the edges - a quality some might interpret as 'more masculine'. But I can understand the reservations esp. if one is not comfortable wearing rose or floral fragrances in general, and vintage florals in particular.

As for the comment judging the quality of a house by the price it charges, that's just your wallet talking. Not your nose.
    Agree with everything said.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    For rose based - Penhaligons Hammam Bouquet, Montale's Black Aoud & Attar, L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses & Domenico Caraceni 1913

Amouage - Try Epic, Dia, Reflection, their Attars (Tribute, Homage & few more older ones)...

Domenico Caraceni 1913 is the best!!!!!!!!!
    Bond No. 9 "West Side" is also creamy rose.

I find Lyric man a touch too synthetic and traditional masculine to warrant Amouage's prices. Jub XXV is a radiant incense, so if you like that, you should certainly try Interlude. Epic Man has some rose, but it is richer, woodier, denser than Lyric.

cacio

I love it. It's not masculine, but it's definitely not overly feminine to my nose. It's just a strong rose/citrus/incense. Amouage definitely has their own rose note that their fragrances share, I can smell the same sharp rose in Homage and a couple other attars.

I love Lyric Man -- test it against Lyric Woman -- you'll know it's unisex then. I'm with you on Memoir Man -- makes me gag. Dia is nicer than Lyric but not as nice as Interlude Man.

Nature of the rose is like this.

It would be like saying clouds aren't masculine.....

for swap/sale:

I tried Lyric Man and Jubilation XXV Man today. Instantly fell in love with Jubilation XXV but found Lyric Man just to be average and a bit feminine. Memoir Man was a complete no for me.
    What are your thoughts on Lyric Man?

What other Amouages are worth testing?
    I dig the JXXV as well. I sampled Lyric several times and it's just not for me. On the flip side, I luv Memoir. Epic is another one that's not for me. Aside from JXXV & Memoir, I have Interlude and Reflection. I liked Interlude off the bat, but I haven't been reaching for it much lately. Reflection however is still a popular bottle in my rotation. Honour might be worth a look.

Love love Lyric Man. Not an ultra-masculine scent, but hugely beautiful, and this is what matters to me.
    * Serge Lutens rules *
    Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule

I love Rose fragrances, but Lyric smells like those inexpensive rose creams which are found in Indian/Pakistani grocery stores for 3.99. It is on the feminine side but thats not the issue with Lyric, it just smells cheap and too synthetic for me.

Amouage Lyric Man, good projection and longevity. A rich, lush, fruity incense rose that seems overtly synthetic and plasticky, but I love how it smells.

Wanted to love, but didn't. I like Dullahs list of rose scents above with Domencio Caraceni 1913 thrown in.

I am proud to own a bottle of Amouage Lyric Man.
    Which IMO it is a very clean, shy at first Rose based fragrance, later on the saffron starts to kick in, and the sea of tranquility starts to morph into a heavenly Vanilliac dry down.
    In this phase ALM is surprisingly beautiful, The Vanilla performs the final act!
    Honourable to mention that, as in all Amouage Fragrances, longevity never disappoints,on me 24 hours!

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    I love Rose fragrances, but Lyric smells like those inexpensive rose creams which are found in Indian/Pakistani grocery stores for 3.99. It is on the feminine side but thats not the issue with Lyric, it just smells cheap and too synthetic for me.
    I agree, it also reminds me of that pakistani drink rooh afza.

treeman5823

I like Lyric Man a lot but, truth be told, it's one I don't really get yet. Try Jubilation 25, Ubar, Gold for women!, Lyric Woman, and the Attars.

I own Memoir, Interlude, Jubiliation and Lyric. I wear Lyric the most. Can't be all that bad
    Im the be$t @ thi$

WAAAAY too feminine for me. Then again I love Memoir Man, so our tastes might not be a match.
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    I dig the JXXV as well. I sampled Lyric several times and it's just not for me. On the flip side, I luv Memoir. Epic is another one that's not for me. Aside from JXXV & Memoir, I have Interlude and Reflection. I liked Interlude off the bat, but I haven't been reaching for it much lately. Reflection however is still a popular bottle in my rotation. Honour might be worth a look.
    I was crazy about Interlude too the day I tested it, then I automatically bought it. I wore it the next day and haven't worn it since that was in December. I love it, it looks amazing next to my other Amouage bottles, I don't know the next time I will feel the urge to wear it. Right now it's looking like a long time. I am a rose fanatic creepy stalker so it's only right I wear Lyric more. When I wear this I never got this smells feminine by a coworker, but I have wearing Rose Babare by Guerlain. I think Cafe Rose by Tom Ford is more feminine. I also like both of those. But I feel more comfortable wearing Lyric than the others previously mention.
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Amouage is a great house!
    For the fragrances I have, most have insane projection among application but dry down to a close to the body, polite projection within 4 hours.

Jubilation is dried fruits, spices and incense. A very pronounced incense. My mom thinks the opening is feminine but it dries down to a sweet, woody, honey, incensy dry down. Very beautiful and unique. Its a good signature scent if you have the balls to wear it.

Epic herbal opening that is much darker than Jubilation, has an animilic feeling in the opening, perhaps a good substitute for Musc Ravageur. Its a bit like Jubilation without the berries, the nutmeg seems like a prominent spice here. Dries down to woods, resins, leather and incense. Less talked about here but I think its the most manly in the house.

Interlude: I think it is a frangrance that fills the gap in Amouage. It has incense, the greeness in Memoir, the darkness in Epic, and the berries in Jubiliation. It has a bit of everything so quite pleasing and easy to pick up. Myrrh here is done very well. I don't find this as hard to wear as people say.

Lyric: rose with woods and incense, the drydown is a bit like a chocolate rose. Projection and longevity are both very good and polite. I think its an underrated fragrance. Perhaps people don't like it as much, simply because its not as "oriental" as the ones above.

By the way, selling Jub, Epic, and Lyric if anyone is interested. I am cutting down on fragrances and want to have a "signature" scent that people associate with me going forward. (3-6 frags only).

I agree that Interlude fills the gap and I think it is gorgeous. You might want to sample Beloved though before you commit. Different genre.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 26th March 2013 at 09:59 AM.

treeman5823

I like Lyric Man: a shimmering, transparent rose with a bit on incense underneath. Also try Gold for women (as close to perfection as is possible: frankincense, rose, indole, and amber in glorious harmony) , Homage and Tribute Attars (transparent rose frankincense, thick green incense), Jubilation 25 (different than XXV, meaty peachy chypre), and Lyric Woman.

Own and like Gold Man, Memoir Man, Lyric Man and Jubilation XXV. Will be looking at Epic Man, Dia Man and Interlude in the future. Thus far, I'm impressed with the offerings from this house.

Lyric Man is not bad, but its just very feminine and boring. Jubilation and Interlude Man are far superior.

For Rose, I would stick to Montale fragrances, they are unmatched in that category.

It took me a while to dare buy Lyric man. The first time I smelled it, I found it fascinating, but two sweet and floral to me. I bas given a sample and I was surprised to see myself quite often go to my cabinet and spray some Lyric on my forearms to smell it at home. But then The other day I went for my bottle. I am discovering citrus in the opening and a very polite rose. I dom't think Lyric is an office frag, but for a night out at an elegant event.

I am a fan of Amouage now. My fisrt frag was Epic. Then I bought Jubilation XXV. Then Reflection. And now, Lyric. In the beginning, I found it too dense, too loud, too strong. But now I find it to be one of the best houses, with personal, unique and daring creations. The other day I was given samples of all the Library collection and...wow! Opus VI and III are just whispering around my ears...