Code of Conduct

Question Himalaya or Bois du Portugal? Which one?

Gentleman, if you would be so kind as to share your experience with either of these two scents. I am smitten with both and would like to choose one for my lover.
    Which would you choose, and why? Or which one can you not live without and why?

Thank you.
    Renee
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Himalaya or Bois du Portugal? Which one?

Himalaya is more modern and is more unisex. Great year 'round clean feel.

BDP is a classic manly scent that is more suited to cool weather. Women have drooled over this one.

My wife likes both. Himalaya is easier to live with.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Himalaya for you and BdP for him

Post Thanks / Like

I think Himalaya would be a better fragrance for you to give him. It is more likely to please you both, and is a safer blind buy than BdP.

Really though, get both.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Himalaya is more modern and is more unisex. Great year 'round clean feel.

BDP is a classic manly scent that is more suited to cool weather. Women have drooled over this one.

My wife likes both. Himalaya is easier to live with.
    Bingo!

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

I have Himalaya and I never wear it and I don't really know why. Kinda meh. BDP I sampled and again, meh. Get some Gucci Envy for him. If I liked guys I'd want to smell that. I wore Quorum for years and got compliments. I'm sexy that way. I also now read the large typepograhy books from the library, so a warning ladies! back off!!
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 17th April 2007 at 07:06 PM. Reason: blindness

Post Thanks / Like

I just can't get into Himalaya. It's got that "90s fragrance" thing going that plain irritates me. BdP is heaven, but it's not exactly a romantic gift with all that sharp lavender and smoky-resinous woods. If you like both, go with Himalaya.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Renee!

Both are splendid quality choices, but in order to give advice, maybe it would be easier for the community if you´described what you want your lover to smell like... Maybe in terms of age, carachtere, sophistication... My own lover scent is either Boucheron Jaipour EDP or Cartier, Santos Concentree...the first because it is a very nice intimate scent (if applied moderately) and the latter one for more sophisticated evenings...
    Cheers and Bonne Chance!
    Last edited by Stockholm; 17th April 2007 at 07:54 PM.

Himalaya is the more versatile and romantic.

BdP is as close to a "Holy Grail" as I've yet come; however, I think that Himalaya would be a more sensible choice for you, as BdP is -- IMHO -- distinctively "masculine." (As, for that matter, is its close personal half-sibling, New York by PdN.)
    Btw, give Paco Rabanne's XS a try if you want the general smell of Himalaya sans the hefty price tag.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 17th April 2007 at 09:23 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Btw, give Paco Rabanne's XS a try if you want the general smell of Himalaya sans the hefty price tag.
    I agree with you tvlampboy.

Recently i bought a HIMALAYA tester and sprayed it on my wrist. I had heard of it being compared to Paco rabanne XS but when i realized how identical both these were, i shook my head in disbelief. How could you buy Himalaya when you could get 4 bottles of XS at the same price.

Well since i did a wrist test with Himalaya, i cant possibly comment on the drydown if its a LOT different from that of XS but atleast for the first few hours, no one can tell one from the other.

So i would say BDP & PACO RABANNE XS.

gupts

Post Thanks / Like

Both are amazing. I would go with Himalaya now and save BdP as a gift for later.
    Last edited by Sloan; 17th April 2007 at 10:08 PM.

You Men do not disappoint - thank you for your feedback.
    I especially like the replies encouraging me to get BOTH...which is what I would really LIKE to do, but must put food on the table, must put food on the table!

Let me further share my feelings about both of these gorgeous scents. Himalaya gave me a WOW response, immediately. I think it is aptly named because it does give one a sense of mountain air and elevation and altitude. I also agree that this is one that I could get away with wearing at times. And the shiny platinum bottle is really sharp.

Bois du Portugal is decidedly more manly, perhaps more out and out sexy to me, it reminds me, and I cant put my finger on why, of Antaeus, something sort of gritty in the base that is really appealing, but BdP has a lighter feel than the darker Antaeus.

My man's initial reaction to the samples were as follows:
    Himalaya: "Makes me feel kinda girly."
    Bois du Portugal: "That's like a nice aftershave."
    Overall impressions of both: "Well, they smell. That's good."

Now I don';t want to make him sound like a bohemian, but well, actually, maybe he is.
    What we did was put one on the right wrist and one and the left and ....
    I loved the combination, frankly.
    oh dear.
    AND....my friend, a female, has been wearing Silver Mountain Water and she smells FANTASTIC.
    I feel myself being drawn deeper into Creed World.
    woe is me.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

I say neither - get the wonderful Creed Vetiver '48 instead ! Zesty ginger and mineralic vetiver combine to create a sparkling sophisticated vetiver frag!

Ok, so if you must choose between Himalaya and BdP, get Himalaya for loads of compliments, or get BdP if you want a finely crafted "formal" scent which is arguably one the most impressive Creeds around.

Himalaya is sexy, BdP is suave. I personally prefer BdP, but find myself wearing Himalaya more..
    -

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    AND....my friend, a female, has been wearing Silver Mountain Water and she smells FANTASTIC.
    I feel myself being drawn deeper into Creed World.
    woe is me.
    Hehehe, your friend has great taste! SMW is AWESOME. I've been meaning to pick up another bottle for ages, it's just wonderful stuff!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful choices really. I personally prefer BdP 100000x more than Himalaya, and most other fragrances. But, I do agree that Himalaya is more wearable seeing how stuffy BdP can get at times... I would get both, but if you gotta put food on the table, get BdP and XS by Paco Rabanne (99% Himalaya, and it lasts longer) or Himalaya and Heritage (80% BdP but not as smooth or long lasting or PdN New York which is 85% BdP but lasts half as long as heritage). Hell, Heritage+XS might even be the best choice if he really isn't all that into fragrances.

Great taste though!

Post Thanks / Like

...Himalaya gave me a WOW response, immediately. I think it is aptly named because it does give one a sense of mountain air and elevation and altitude. I also agree that this is one that I could get away with wearing at times. And the shiny platinum bottle is really sharp.
    The WOW factor ususally indicates a winner in my testing experience. I would go with Himalaya. It makes a great warm weather scent and wears well in cooler temps as well.

If you and he still can't decide, encourage addtional testing of both. If you find that you prefer one over the other, talk about how much you the way it smells on him. Gentle persuasion can help.
    Last edited by Sloan; 18th April 2007 at 03:20 AM.

No brainer here: Himalaya. Its versatile; you can wear it to work, go casual, or dressed up. Hot or cold weather. Its unique.

Paco XS...smells like Himalya by only the smalled fashion. It only share a note that Himalaya, its not 100% similar. XS reminds me of Eternity with Himalaya sprinkled in.

Bois...I wanted to like it, but there is that distinct "old man" scent in there, which totally turns me off. "old man" scent also means that its not very unique. More for formal wearing, in cold weather.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Post Thanks / Like

Well, given what you have written - don't buy the himamlaya - makes him feel girly (unless he enjoys feeling girly of course) . BDP is an awesome fantastic scent but (for me) difficult to wear. There are many situations in which it is not appropriate. I agree with ZZ's wise words. Try some other creeds for him, maybe the tabarome millesime or one of the vetivers?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Himalaya or Bois du Portugal? Which one?

First of all, how old is your lover...what kind of men...more sporty? or more classy?

BdP is more for the colder weather (or for the evening) and it last long (for that money is it worth it). It is more for the older people (let me say mid 30). It´s a classic scent...very very rich and loud and it changes the whole day.

Himalaya is more fresher and icey...also perfect for the summer. For a young fresh man :-)
    Also try XS Paco it is cheaper...so you can buy both XS Paco and BdP :-)

I would choose Bois du Portugal

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Himalaya or Bois du Portugal? Which one?

My man's initial reaction to the samples were as follows:
    Himalaya: "Makes me feel kinda girly."
    Bois du Portugal: "That's like a nice aftershave."
    Overall impressions of both: "Well, they smell. That's good."

Well, obviously neither will do. To me Himalaya rocks and BdP is a bit of a lightweight compared to Creed's Vintage Tabarome, but that's just me.

Looking at your wardrobe and your post, I think the answer is obvious: Kingdom or Bulgari Black or SMW.

That way if he doesn't like it . . .

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Well, given what you have written - don't buy the himamlaya - makes him feel girly (unless he enjoys feeling girly of course) . BDP is an awesome fantastic scent but (for me) difficult to wear. There are many situations in which it is not appropriate. I agree with ZZ's wise words. Try some other creeds for him, maybe the tabarome millesime or one of the vetivers?
    he must be feeling girly today (hee hee hee) because Himalaya is my SoTD and he said, gee, maybe we could both wear that...?
    Today is our First Official Wearing Matching Scents Day.
    Be still my heart....

Sloan...stay away from my bottle of Himalaya at Aedes! (must place order, must place order)

Silver Mountain Water may be next up....
    thank you all for your great input...I love hearing what you have to say

Renee

Post Thanks / Like

Sloan...stay away from my bottle of Himalaya at Aedes! (must place order, must place order)
    LOL. Don't worry. I have others on my list, such as MPG Tubereuse, Bois d'Ombrie, Voleur de Roses....

Personally I would go for the BdP. It is pretty formal, long lasting and downright amazing on my skin at least. This was my wedding scent. However it is pretty strong. If he works in a hot environment this may not be for him, but if he works in an air conditioned office, then that is not so much of an issue.

The last time I checked Bois du Portugal came in a 8.4 oz splash flacon. Therefore, do not be shocked when your husband splashes it on his face like an aftershave.

I would not limit your fragrance search to Creed or niche for that matter. The comparison between Himalaya & XS is apt.

BTW, what frags does your husband wear now?
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

K[/QUOTE]

My partner wears Chanel Antaeus, Caron's Third Man or SL Gris Clair, all purchased by me.
    He had no prior interest in fragrance before I discovered Basenotes.
    Now he is sampling the BdP and Himalaya that I brought back from Aedes in sample vials.
    He is an artist an works at home in paint splotched blue jeans.
    A very creative and unconventional soul, a very soulful man, and very in touch with his feminine or intuitive side. But he's big and strong and manly, too

K
    My partner wears Chanel Antaeus, Caron's Third Man or SL Gris Clair, all purchased by me.
    He had no prior interest in fragrance before I discovered Basenotes.
    Now he is sampling the BdP and Himalaya that I brought back from Aedes in sample vials.
    He is an artist an works at home in paint splotched blue jeans.
    A very creative and unconventional soul, a very soulful man, and very in touch with his feminine or intuitive side. But he's big and strong and manly, too [/QUOTE]

Ah! That clears things up. I'd go for Himalaya in that case.

Outside of the two you mentioned, may I suggest:

The Dreamer (even though I absolutely despise it [it is like turpentine on me])
    Fahrenheit [has violets & honeysuckle (where it gets the petrol note)]
    JHL [carnation nation]
    Helmut Lang Cologne (if you can find it) [very frankincensey on me]
    M7 [agarwood is not terribly common]
    Acqua di Parma - Colonia [citrus with a nice rose drydown]

I tried to pick frags which are masculine yet teeter sometimes in "female" territory with floral notes.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

I tried to pick frags which are masculine yet teeter sometimes in "female" territory with floral notes.
    K[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Mr. K, for the suggestions!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Himalaya is a better scent, but Bois Du Portugal performs much better.

I like and own both but prefer Bois Du Portugal