Code of Conduct

Default Fredric Malle's own signiture scent

If you follow FM's product brief, you will notice that his fragrances are not for everyone and that one may like one fragrance but not the other mainly because there is no theme or synopsis for the house in general. The furthest stretch for a house theme is that they revisit classics or use new ingredients to produce a new frag, a best in class type of fragrance you can say.

I think he is in the view of a person having a signiture scent. Which brings to the question, does anyone know what his own signiture scent is?

Also, his collection is starting to lose balance for guys.. Seems like he keeps producing florals and less emphasis on Oudh, incense, tobacco, leather etc. notes we see in many male fragrances from niche houses... Take for example the upcoming launch with Dries.. It is made with a special sandalwood, but made feminine... with jasmine. Not saying that it cannot be a unisex, but once again, we see florals in his composition.

Any views on this?
    Last edited by spirit966; 21st February 2013 at 03:28 PM.

Default Re: Fredric Malle's own signiture scent

I read an interview with FM recently and he says he is currently mainly wearing Geranium Pour Monsieur... Nice...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Interesting.

Nice!

I am sure the Malle house is / will be working on those notes u mentioned - I am already geared up to buy (even blind buy) any tobacco / leather that they may churn out in the future!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Trick View Post
    I read an interview with FM recently and he says he is currently mainly wearing Geranium Pour Monsieur... Nice...
    Good choice from his lot.

Banned
    Blog Entries

his signature scent is probably fresco

Guess a custom made one...

I heard he wears Brut or was it Stetson?

I agree that the range is very feminine orientated and not very prolific either -- I've been seeing the same scents for years now.

If you look at the buying public and Fragrance sales, 80% of purchases are made by females, whether for themselves or their boys.

In terms of marketing and sales, and considering that many males eschew fragrance usage, it only makes sense to weight your product offerings towards women.

But with talented Niche perfumers, there are becoming many more lines with fragrances of interest to Men...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

I think it is safe to say that he doesn't have a signature scent and if he did I doubt it would be from his own house!
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Noir de Noir
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Musc Ravageur
    6. Bois d'argent
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Oud 1

Great juice!!! The mint is sooo nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    Guess a custom made one...
    I would think this also. He'd probably wear something he's working on and currently most excited about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    If you look at the buying public and Fragrance sales, 80% of purchases are made by females, whether for themselves or their boys.

In terms of marketing and sales, and considering that many males eschew fragrance usage, it only makes sense to weight your product offerings towards women.

But with talented Niche perfumers, there are becoming many more lines with fragrances of interest to Men...
    I know that, when it comes to designer fragrances, this is very true. More than half of all men's scents are purchased by women, either to wear for themselves or purchased for the men in their lives. But the same isn't true for women's scents. Very few men wear women's scents. Even here on basenotes, I doubt that most men wear women's scents, and when it comes to Joe Public, there's no way the average guy wears women's scents. Heck, at Sephora, some unisex scents aren't even placed in the men's section. Cannabis Santal is listed in some places as unisex and in others as a men's scent, but it's sold in the women's section at my local Sephora, and it probably sells better that way. Women buy most fragrances. 80% sounds about right.

I've always wondered what the numbers look like in terms of niche sales figures. Do women buy the majority of those too? ...even among men's scents? I wonder.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Nice indeed! It was my scent of the day today and I enjoyed every moment of it. Such a classy, approachable and fresh fragrance. I'm not surprised he wears it.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit966 View Post
    If you follow FM's product brief, you will notice that his fragrances are not for everyone and that one may like one fragrance but not the other mainly because there is no theme or synopsis for the house in general. The furthest stretch for a house theme is that they revisit classics or use new ingredients to produce a new frag, a best in class type of fragrance you can say.

I think he is in the view of a person having a signiture scent. Which brings to the question, does anyone know what his own signiture scent is?

Also, his collection is starting to lose balance for guys.. Seems like he keeps producing florals and less emphasis on Oudh, incense, tobacco, leather etc. notes we see in many male fragrances from niche houses... Take for example the upcoming launch with Dries.. It is made with a special sandalwood, but made feminine... with jasmine. Not saying that it cannot be a unisex, but once again, we see florals in his composition.

Any views on this?
    His line of direction, by using florals, is what it is. Its not random. Its a strategy. A strategy contains a target customer.

Apparently you are not it. Walk away. Enjoy the other brands.

for swap/sale:

Well, not necessarily, I love musc ravageur,
    Bigarade concentree, POAL, carnal flower, appreciate gpm and VE.

I just notice their focus on florals and if masculines then very dry green fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    His line of direction, by using florals, is what it is. Its not random. Its a strategy. A strategy contains a target customer.

He rotates between LIDGE, Aventus and Terre d'Hermes. LDO (like, duh, obviously).

...what I mean is, I have no idea. As a sidenote, I think most of his line is perfectly unisex.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit966 View Post
    If you follow FM's product brief, you will notice that his fragrances are not for everyone and that one may like one fragrance but not the other mainly because there is no theme or synopsis for the house in general.
    Keep in mind, that's all just marketing mumbojumbo. It's a way of telling potential customers "Just because you didn't like one, it doesn't mean another won't please you." It's just marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

THIS!

I find it's really helpful to trust my own nose rather than to trust hype and marketing. I'm not saying Fredric Malle's scents are nothing but hype and marketing. Quite the contrary. I'm saying to trust your own nose. If they're not for you... no worries.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Amazing perfume house. When there are as many masculines than feminines, you can bet something's wrong.

He once said he likes Eau Sauvage.
    Last edited by pluran; 25th February 2013 at 08:33 AM.

I'll ask him next time I see him.

Or any perfumer at that! I read that you met with Christopher Chong the man himself!
    In Basenotes, or any fragrance community, we probably will not own a scent that people identify us to due to the many scents we are testing/sampling/own. This is different to how perfumers describe fragrances (i.e how one or two fragrances fits one person, their personality, the belief that scents are a part of memory etcetc). Would be interesting to see what they wear themselves (I assume they have the more discerning noses out there themselves).

Lorenzo Villoresi said he wears his own Uomo exclusively. Yann Vasnier used to be pretty excited about his L'Homme de Coeur, and atleast at some point wore only that. As a sidenote, I perfectly understand both. Uomo is fantastic all-around scent and the Divine scent could be my number one scent if it wasn't for certain offnote in the drydown. That beginning with juniper and possibly angelica is somehow cool and dry, with iris bringing just enough depth. Perfect top, compromised drydown. It took me around 20 wearings to spot this flaw in the drydown; too bad I can't put my finger on it (ostension isn't possible when it comes to scents).

Dominique Ropion is a favorite Malle's perfumer.

Once in an interview Malle said that Vetiver extaordinaire defines his personality.
    When Ropion created Geranium pour monsieur, Malle, his son and Ropion himself wore mostly Geranium pour monsieur.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Dominique Ropion is a favorite Malle's perfumer.

Once in an interview Malle said that Vetiver extaordinaire defines his personality.
    When Ropion created Geranium pour monsieur, Malle, his son and Ropion himself wore mostly Geranium pour monsieur.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel