Code of Conduct

Default SOTD Thursday 21 February, 2013

Where are all our friends across the pond? I've never started the sotd thread. This is spooky. Hope all is well. I'll be spending some time with L'Heure Bleue today. Love to everybody.

Default Re: SOTD Thursday 21 February, 2013

Bonjour!
    Sartorial

Afternoon All,

Lilybelle.

Villoresi's Sandalo for a cold, grey Thursday.

Best to everyone.

Beautiful day today here, I am in Body Shop Love Etc. This is an easy to wear scent, not fancy or fussy or spendy. Not long lasting, dries to a very pleasant vanilla smell. It is one of the few I do regularly receive compliments on, always from women.....The only scents I have gotten guy compliments on are the Mure et Musc Extreme, and, perhaps oddly, the Reglisse Noire.

Banned

hello all, i thought i will be 20th allready reporting my greeeeat great new coat perfume )

since i could not buy even 10ml of Montale Cuir d Arabie, i bought Tribute, not really knowing its oudy frag, i just imagined it beeing tobacco herbal and dark but this tobacco here is dry, so smoky oudy thing, its like cambodgian fruity oud coverd in pond of ashes....it sooo lovely on wool!!!

and Samsara is sitting on my neck....for femininity i see myself repeating this combo for a while now lol

Basenotes Plus

Hello! I'm flying out to LA this afternoon for some quality time with my daughter, who is working there for the next two weeks. As a bonus, tomorrow I will be meeting a dear friend for lunch at the Farmers Market and a visit to the Scent Bar.

SOTFlight is the low-key but very pretty Toni Gard. Back Monday evening. Love to all. xxoo
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Good morning, everyone!

I'm in Miss Dior, vintage parfum and edt.

Safe and happy travels, tdem - that sounds like fun! Have a great time!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Plus

Safe travels, Terry - enjoy your visit.

Energy levels boosted by flat white and chocolate brownie, mood lifted by a combination of Neroli Portofino and the nice thought of not being back at work now until Monday. Wine O'Clock may be starting early tomorrow ....

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 21st February 2013 at 05:30 PM.

Raghba

Basenotes Plus

Good morning, beautiful day today! It's warmer and no snow in the forecast!

Happy Birthday,Flathorn!! Sorry this is a day late but I hope you had a lovely day yesterday.

Tdem, hope you have a safe trip. So nice that you get to spend some time with your daughter!

30 Roses, I read "Coming to My Senses" by Alyssa Harad last year sometime. I thought it was a
    very interesting book. Twolf, if you'ld like I'll mail it to you.

Jon, I love your picture this morning, where was it taken? It looks like somewhere in Italy.
    Also, love Neroli Portofino, a sales girl at Nordstroms insisted I try the lotion and it was heavenly.

SotM is Guerlain Oriental Brulant.

Have a great day!

That's Portofino, K ...and it is a very beautiful pic, Jon, as always.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Smile Re: SOTD Thursday 21 February, 2013

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    That's Portofino, K ...and it is a very beautiful pic, Jon, as always.
    I thought it looked Italian, definitely a place I would love to visit. Thanks Evangeline!!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Good morning everyone!

Jon, your photo makes me want to go spend a vacation there! It would beat our winter weather (more snow expected this weekend, and our snowblower is tireless as we wait for a new one to be shipped to us.)

Killiwia, I'm 150 pages into the book and really enjoying the way she tells her personal story.

No SotD yet as I'm going to call Nordies at 10 to ask if the new JM Sugar and Spice collection is in yet (it wasn't a few days ago, delayed by the storm) -- I want to sniff them! I also have birthday freebie coupons from Sephora and Godiva to take advantage of before they expire so I "need" to take a trip to the mall anyway soon.

update: They are in! Off to sniff!
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 21st February 2013 at 02:21 PM.

Good morning everyone! I'm on vacation this week and brought a bag of testers with me. Today I'm sampling Gold Woman from amouage. Wow. Aldehydic bomb went off at application. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the opening but I am interested in how it develops. Right now it's definitely not me!

Found out there's a Hove perfume in the area so I'm hoping to check that out this week

Glad to be out of the snow. I feel for you 30Roses! ... And everyone else about to get dumped on. Stay warm!,

Tom Ford ~ Black Orchid.

Eau de Romarin y Galimard

Hello all. Parfums DelRae Mythique
    DONNA

In Carnal Flower today. All the best to everyone!

Basenotes Institution

Wild Lavender by Lorenzo Villoresi (first time from a sample - thank you Foustie!)

30 Roses - looking forward to hearing how the new JM's smell!
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Afternoon all! Have a great trip, tdem!

l read Coming to My Senses last year, & really enjoyed about the first two-thirds of it. l also read The Book of Lost Fragrances, & The Perfume Lover by Denyse Beauleiu, which was my favourite of the three.

SOTD was DK Gold again, & now l'm sampling Sarrasins.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Ohhh, Jon, I'll take a few weeks in Portofino That would feel just about right

Instead, we had our first larger snow here in New Mexico last night. I woke to about 4-5 inches on the ground. I'm basking in the beautiful glow of Chanel 31 rue Cambon today. Absolutely one of my favorite perfumes.

Carner Barcelona Tardes

Good afternoon!

Snow is falling but just melts as it touches the ground.. Beautiful to watch from a window, anyway, with Feu de Bois candle burning!

SotD is Myrrhiad, warm and comfy like a cashmere scarf.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Tea for Two.

Finally scented in Amouage Lyric Woman having used the last drops of my first 10ml decant. Will be from a new decant next time. However, I plan a FB of OJ Ta'if rather than Lyric as when I did a side by side, on me, they were almost indistinguishable and Ta'if is less expensive

Hello everyone!

It's been a trying morning already. Barely survived an awful exam and just found out that my L'Artisan fairy will be out of job as L'Artisan Boutique in NYC will be closing in the next couple of months.

teardrop - how did you like the "Book of lost Fragrances"? I am third of the way through but I am a bit turned off by the depressing mood of the story. Does it end well?

I also want to take this opportunity to warn anyone who wants to read Jitterbug Perfume by Tim Robbins. The frequent and dirty sex related passages are quite disgusting. I am no innocent and enjoy spicy prose occasionally, but it was exceedingly bad.

HdP Tubereuse - 1 Capriciuese
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 21st February 2013 at 06:04 PM.

Evening All,

Sorry to hear about you exam, whitefluffy. Try not to dwell on it (easier said than done, I know).

Chanel - Cuir de Russie (vintage EdT) tonight.

Best to everyone.

Blog Entries

Whitefluffy; l know what you mean about the Book of Lost Fragrances. lf it hadn't been perfume-related, l might not have persevered with it. l won't spoil the ending for you, but yes, it improved considerably towards the end!

And l agree, Jitterbug Perfume is pretty ribald, but on the whole l found it a lot of fun to read!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Wearing Hypnotic Poison for the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Whitefluffy; l know what you mean about the Book of Lost Fragrances. lf it hadn't been perfume-related, l might not have persevered with it. l won't spoil the ending for you, but yes, it improved considerably towards the end!

And l agree, Jitterbug Perfume is pretty ribald, but on the whole l found it a lot of fun to read!
    Thank you for telling me, I think I will persevere as well. It just so hard to find any good fragrance related fiction. As for Jitterbug, I found it not only disturbing but also pointless. One of the reviewers on Amazon mentioned that she felt like taking a shower after reading it and I felt the same way. Some of the particularly colorful passages will be stuck in my head forever.

Gandhajala, thank you for the vote of sympathy, my most calming tea is already brewing .

Happy travels, tdem! I'm envious of your stop at Scentbar. I unfortunately didn't get there during my end-of-year trip to SoCal. Next time.

So sorry about the exam, whitefluffy. At least it's done -- do you have anything fun planned for the rest of your day?

Beautiful photos (as usual), Jon

I'm sampling Histoires de Parfums 1804 (George Sand) today. I like!

Good evening, fragrant folks!
    Jicky extrait for the day and Vega still going strong now. Wonderful!
    Cold again and snow coming tomorrow night. Yet again.
    tdem, enjoy your trip!
    Jon, don't even mention your off for the weekend already! :P
    Best to all

Lilybelle, I almost started this SotD thread, but checked and saw JR was logged in so I did not want my yesterday's experience repeated when I posted 30 seconds later than teardrop and the thread was there for the whole day. Still is as of now, I wonder what gives? Congratulations on your first, job well done!

Anyhow, I am in my new Crabtree and Evelyn Evelyn Rose, girls loved it. I layered it with a fig lotion though. Fig + rose = suh-weeeeeet!

To the book reading bunch: Whitefluffy -- totally agree with you about some too graphic scenes in Jitterbug Perfume, the story would be better without them. Both Whitefluffy and teardrop -- The Book of Lost Fragrances was all right (too slow, too many discordant characters, but they all come together at the end, and on the positive side -- her descriptions are beautiful and she was a member of POL for many years, Robbie's character was inspired by Olivier Durbano and the whole house of L'Etoile although imaginary, had some things spelling "Guerlain" about its history; Chinese-Tibetan references I found quite lame and underresearched). Kiliwia -- yes, please do, there is no rush as I will be out of town the whole next week.

Tdem
    , please enjoy your trip and tell us more after you are back.

The whole area of plains is getting snow -- too early for me to tell, we have got none as of yet but the forecasts are saying between 6" to 4'. Quite a margin, err?
    Last edited by Twolf; 21st February 2013 at 09:18 PM.

Thank you for the compliment, Twolf.

The mail just came and there was a mini of Prada Infusion d'Iris edp, which I just dabbed on my hand...lovely, lovely...can't wait to give that one a full wearing. And a sample of Caron Nuit de Noel vintage parfum, and a sample of La Nuit Paco Rabanne from the Perfumed Court, in a royal blue organdy bag and a latte candy. That's so nice of them. I will be busy over the next few days with those. You know, that Prada Iris seems a bit musky now. I hope it doesn't go straight from iris to musk. I'm still in love with Bois d'Iris from the other day, the one by The Different Company. That was a very pleasant surprise.

Sotd, Samsara, a lovely formulation of this. From a sample. I am not sure what formulation I smelled the time before but this one is more lovely. Great stuff. I have yet to read any perfume books, lol.

30R, let us know how those Jo Mo's are! Lovely pics, Jon!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

ExtremeK - Thank you. I am afraid I don't have anything fun planned other than more studying. But I do have delicious non-fragrance book waiting for me: A Stitch in Time by Andrew J Robinson. But I am afraid it will only appeal to a very narrow group of readers . And HDP 1804 is very beautiful, I am hoarding my sample.

Twolf - thank you for your support and for the info. I was wondering if the House of L'Etoile was based on Caron or Guerlain; and very interesting tidbit about the character of Robbie being inspired by Durbano. I tried his Citrine and Black Tourmaline and liked both. Forgive me my ignorance, but what does POL mean?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Kiliwia -- yes, please do, there is no rush as I will be out of town the whole next week.
    Sounds good, I'll mail it late next week then. There's a few from your test list I'll include and some 1932 also.

Hi y'all ...me again!

I'm still in Dior, but I've made the switch to Dolce Vita for the afternoon.

elizrj - you must be in Destin! We have a house quite close by and we'll probably be going in the next few weeks ...how long are you staying, and how's the weather? Have fun!

Whitefluffy - lol, Robbins is an acquired taste, that's for sure! I hope you enjoy A Stitch in Time much more. And here's another hug to help with your awful exam.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 21st February 2013 at 09:04 PM.

Oh Kiliwia, thanks a million. Seriously, where would I be -- fragrance-wise -- without you?

Whitefluffy
    -- Perfume of Life, another forum where several BNers were active participants while it lasted. It was created as a market place for Irma Schorell's Long Lost Perfumes line, I thought. Another hug after your exam?

Lilybelle -- it is all about musk -- where is the iris? -- on this skin and therefore, unwearable.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Very sorry indeed to learn of the upcoming closing of the L'Artisan boutique at Bendel!

kalli, I posted mini-impressions of 4 of the new Malones here; the 5th is not in yet, but ought to be soon: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/324...ugar-and-spice

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Whitefluffy -- Perfume of Life, another forum where several BNers were active participants while it lasted.
    T, I believe Perfume of Life is back up and running. http://www.perfumeoflife.com/

Basenotes Plus

Think I can manage one too, Whitefluffy....

Angel Lily for me this evening.

Thank you, Evangeline, Jon, and Twolf for hugs, they sure helped!!! And "A Stitch in Time" is definitely more enjoyable!

As for Robbins, I must admit that he is hilarious and I did LMAO one times too many. Unfortunately, the ratio of lewdness to good fun became to high to bear.

30 Roses - It is very sad indeed, this impending closure of L'Artisan Boutique. I wonder if it has something to do with these new worldwide shipping restrictions.
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 21st February 2013 at 10:41 PM.

I've switched to DSH Cordial.

SotE was a spritz of Jo Malone Vanilla & Anise.

Jon, that is an adorable pic of the mousie tes party!

White powdery stuff is coming down in bunches, already 4" here. Came home from work, changed into Cuir Beluga. Mr.T was not wasting his time either, he is designing and building a sleigh, in the best German tradition, out of wood and with steering. We will have Saturday morning to try it out, I hope.

Kiliwia, thanks for everything.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Twolf, I just heard 20 states are getting hit with this storm. We're supposed to get a wintry mix, accumulations are to be little for us-- 1.5 to 3 inches, so they say.

Mr. T's sleigh sounds like quite the project!