Code of Conduct

Default Do you like soap?

I love soapy scents, especially Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme and Jaques Bogart Signature 1975, that old school clean masculine soap.

But what notes are responsible for that soapy smell, and why did soap come to smell the way it does, what are the notes of the original "archetype" soap?

What's your favorite? Do you like the sharper clean soap or the softer powdery soap?
    Last edited by Rubirosa; 21st February 2013 at 09:22 PM.

Default Re: Do you like soap?

I'm no expert, but usually soap is associated either with aldehydes (which give the initial fizzy oomph, like in Chanel no 5) or to "white" musks, the clean, warm scent typical of laundry soaps and detergents. The use of white musks in laundry or soaps is because they are very resistant and so survive hot water and the cleaning process better than most other substances (like many floral scents, which would be destroyed by the heat).

cacio

Personally don't mind the soapy smell in fragrances.

Like a few soapy frags. Especially in the summer.

Normally, I do not like it in a fragrance. There are a few that I like that have a slight soapy vibe, but I generally don't like it.

I don't mind soapy, but I do not like floral soapy.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

I love the soapy ones... like my VC&A PH (a very masculine, high class soap scent), Prada Amber (a sweet soapiness) and Sung Homme (like Green Irish Spring soap).
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Basenotes Plus

Soap lover here. Perhaps that's why I enjoy the aldehydic fragrances and old school stuff. Another very soapy one to try is Prada's Infusion d'Homme.

Prada amber pour homme is a nice soapy frag.

Guy Laroche Horizon is my favorite soapy fragrance.

I love the soapy scents.

I don't like soapy perfumes - and neither does my wife. In fact, I should say: I don't need soapy scents. I really prefer to buy/use a nice soap, crafted, luxury or traditional, if I want to smell clean!
    That being said, I have in my collection some frags in which I detect sometimes a tiny soapy vibe.

I can appreciate and love soapy scents. I miss Gucci Nobile, like mugler cologne, and love OV
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Thumbs up Re: Do you like soap?

I love powdery, soft and rich soapy scents. SMN Melograno is one fantastic fragrance in this category. Trumper's Spanish Leather is another one I enjoy. I dislike sharp & soapy in general.

There are many kinds of soap, and many ways to wear a soapy fragrance. Usually, a very light, walk-through-the mist application will keep chokiness at bay. Soap is a pleasant smell when you have just stepped out of the shower, but holding the bar of soap too close to your nose (or eating a chunk of it!) might make you choke or sneeze. So keep it light! One of my favorites is Prada Amber PH. A light application brings out the sweetness, candied violets, purple Necco wafers. The soapiness is relegated to the background, keeping it all going for a long time. For a longer day, I might put a somewhat heavier spray on a trouser cuff or other distant spot.