Code of Conduct

Default Vintage Polo (green) vs newer formulation? Where to buy vintage?

Does anyone have any experience with the vintage Polo Green? Can you compare it to the new formulation? Also, where can I find a vintage bottle and how can I tell if it's vintage....
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Default Re: Vintage Polo (green) vs newer formulation? Where to buy vintage?

There is no comparison. The vintage is much better IMO. I only have about a quarter of a bottle left. My father gave it to me years ago (RIP).

The label should provide that information. Once you get that then you can do some online research to see if you can get an idea of when it was made.

TF Italian Cypress reminds me of it. Vintage Polo is best....My bottle is almost done...had it for about 15 years, passed down my old man and it still smell the same as the first day I put it on.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    There is no comparison. The vintage is much better IMO. I only have about a quarter of a bottle left. My father gave it to me years ago (RIP).
    Well, I'm looking for some comparison. Can you be a little more specific as to why A is better than B.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    The label should provide that information. Once you get that then you can do some online research to see if you can get an idea of when it was made.
    The label should provide what information? I'm not going to trust a cosmetic check.

There should obviously be some way to tell if it's vintage.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

The vintage is much stronger. More pine. The newer formulation seems watered down. I smelled the newer one a few years ago, and it seemed faint compared to the vintage. The vintage stanks!!! The newer just stinks IMO.

The new POLO is far from being anywhere similar to the original. What I smelled at Macy's last week was rubbing alcohol and a drop of light green fragrance.

Old POLO was distinct. A beautiful smell.

If you want green then try something different with better quality ingredients...TF Italian Cypress Frederic Malle Vetiver Guerlain Vetiver Esencia Loewe.

IMO there are way better green options for you out there. Good luck on finding vintage Polo.

I'm just going to have to buy it and see how it compares to the new one.

Problem is finding it.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Good luck with your search bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian M View Post
    I'm just going to have to buy it and see how it compares to the new one.

Problem is finding it.

I still need some help on the best way to locate and identify the vintage bottle. That's probably the most needed info at this point.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Quote Originally Posted by Christian M View Post
    I still need some help on the best way to locate and identify the vintage bottle. That's probably the most needed info at this point.
    Look at the label on the bottom of the bottle. My vintage ones are by Cosmair. You also might see symbols, which give an idea of when it was made. Get a photo of the label and post it here and perhaps someone can help. However, we can't do research for you on a bottle that we haven't seen.

Either way the recently discontinued Polo Modern Reserve was the best of them all.

Here how my bottle and other vintage bottle should look like:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/87047834...n-mens-cologne

The bottles are nearly identical, it's probably going to come down to some information on the sticker. Either the company that's producing it or some series of serial #'s ....
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

The only experience I have ever had with the vintage scent was when it was first released and it wasn't a good one. What's out there today looks the same to me.

Sound Scents

As Bigsly said, both my vintage bottles are by Cosmair which is on the bottom bottle label.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

When I first smelled oakmoss absolute, my immediate thought was, "Polo!" I don't think that would happen if I'd grown up with "New" Polo. It's not as rich and dark as it once was, and I think that must have something to due with oakmoss restrictions. I can't think of any of the mossy scents I know that still have the same punch as they did back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    As Bigsly said, both my vintage bottles are by Cosmair which is on the bottom bottle label.
    That seems to be the consensus....

I wonder what the year range of them making the juice is....
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

As others have pointed out, there are so many green scents these days you're likely better off finding a new frag than hunting down a vintage one.

This is a thread about a certain fragrance. I'm not looking for something in the same category.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by usedtowork View Post
    As others have pointed out, there are so many green scents these days you're likely better off finding a new frag than hunting down a vintage one.
    Bad advice, IMO. There is only one vintage Polo. Another "new" green fragrance from the present is most likely going to be a poor substitute.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by edshepp View Post
    When I first smelled oakmoss absolute, my immediate thought was, "Polo!" I don't think that would happen if I'd grown up with "New" Polo. It's not as rich and dark as it once was, and I think that must have something to due with oakmoss restrictions. I can't think of any of the mossy scents I know that still have the same punch as they did back in the day.
    There is another thread about new oakmoss restrictions for 2013 that will cause more reformulations. What a shame.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

The newer Polo green is a bit different scent than older versions. Not bad, but the longevity and projection suck compared to the old. I gave the new stuff several wearings, and gave up.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

There was 2 oz bottle for sale that just sold for $20 something dollars on Ebay. The seller stated that on the bottom of the bottle was a Ralph Lauren label that had the year as 1978. I should have bought it as the bottle and cap were in mint condition and I bet the juice was potent as hell. In my opinion the Vintage Polo is the strongest fragrance ever created. I remember it being so strong that you could be outside on a windy day and people 16 feet away could smell it.

Well at least if I buy it and it's too much for me, I can resell it and get my money back.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

I just picked up vintage Polo for a song on Ebay. Key to look for beyond the "Cosmair" label is the size (45ml/1.5oz) and splash EdT. Polo isn't made in that size or splash EdT anymore and hasn't for years.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Vintage Poison said in this thread

The oldest bottles say Warner / Lauren
    You're right about Warner/Lauren coming before Cosmair.

"Cosmair also gained notoriety in 1984 with its purchase of Warner Cosmetics, a subsidiary of Warner Communications, for $146 million. Warner Cosmetics produced cosmetics and fragrances under the brand names of designers Ralph Lauren (Lauren, Chaps, and Polo)."

This info can help us date our bottles.

for swap/sale: