Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 147
Just Starting Out Sponsor
  1. #91

    Default Re: Aventus - I joined the hype.

    Thanks for that, although it's really not that hard to just refrain from posting anything if you've read about the same thing for the thousandth time.

  2. #92

    Default Re: Aventus - I joined the hype.

    Quote Originally Posted by MFM View Post
    I know this scent is talked about a lot on here, but I thought I'd give me opinion.
    OP: I'd suggest using the search function for threads such as this as I'm sure you know, Aventus is a commonly discussed fragrance around here. There are currently three or four threads devoted to "hype" right now, so rather than starting up one more, you'd be best served to join an existing thread on the subject with people who are already discussing it which would also function to keep from filling the boards with Aventus threads.

  3. #93

    Default Re: Aventus - I joined the hype.

    Haha. OMG. There seems to be a total hatred for anything Aventus related on here.

    I hope I don't get the same response wearing it.

  4. #94

    Default Re: Aventus - I joined the hype.

    Quote Originally Posted by MFM View Post
    Haha. OMG. There seems to be a total hatred for anything Aventus related on here.
    I think you'll find that the opposite is true on Basenotes

    Just try to be considerate of other users and join an existing conversation rather than starting up more. It's a better way to contribute, and it'll keep your opinion from vanishing into the pile of Aventus threads.

  5. #95
    Dependent rubegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    War of the Roses
    Posts
    2,188

    Default Re: Aventus - I joined the hype.

    Quote Originally Posted by MFM View Post
    Thanks for that, although it's really not that hard to just refrain from posting anything if you've read about the same thing for the thousandth time.
    It's even easier to refrain from posting something for the 1000th time in the first place. We see this every week. It gets old. This should be in the Just Starting Out forum, by the way, if it belongs anywhere. Better to just post in one of the tons of other Aventus threads and just bump it that create yet another "I'm a Noob and I like Aventus" thread.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  6. #96
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    so-cal
    Posts
    1,301

    Default Re: Aventus - I joined the hype.

    Im going to join a Chevy enthusiast forum, and my first thread will be entitled. " OMG guys, Corvettes are soooooo cool "
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,256
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Aventus - I joined the hype.

    I will stick to my decant
    No more FB'S for some time for me

  8. #98
    Dependent freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: Aventus - I joined the hype.

    Purchased a sample, waiting for it to arrive.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

  9. #99
    Dependent martinijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: New Guy in need of help!

    Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    I understand your point but not sure why you quoted this post... you can easily get a 4.2 oz of MIP EDP for ~$40.

    - - - Updated - - -

    ^^^ nevermind just realized it was probably your standard tired blind Creed hate which caused you to mis-interpret MIP (Midnight in Paris) as Millesime Imperial.
    It was a toss up between you and Hednic for the tired blind Creed recommendations. I settled on you because Hednic has had flack recently from other posters. For the record some members have used use the MIP abbreviation for Millesime Imperial, but now I see what you meant I'm almost tempted to second your recommendation.

  10. #100
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    13,379

    Default Re: Aventus - I joined the hype.

    As there are currently two Creed threads causing distress, it might be an idea to merge them so that all of the arguing is taking place in one thread.
    Hold on...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #101

    Default Re: Aventus - I joined the hype.

    I wear Aventus once a week. It's the only fragrance that I'd ever been complimented on.

  12. #102
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    13,379

    Default Re: Aventus - I joined the hype.

    Last edited by lpp; 11th November 2013 at 05:56 PM.

  13. #103
    Dependent martinijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Aventus - I joined the hype.

    Quote Originally Posted by AVENTUSMAN View Post
    Welcome! You have very good taste.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Is Monday Creed fanboy day?
    That's three new ones I've come across in the last ten minutes...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MFM View Post
    I bet all the haters can't afford it.

    Jealousy is a nasty thing.

    Last edited by martinijo; 11th November 2013 at 06:14 PM.

  14. #104
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    13,379

    Default Re: Aventus - I joined the hype.

    Oh is there another one in need of merging? - must be slipping - missed that one....

    Edit - it's homing instinct has brought it here....
    Last edited by lpp; 11th November 2013 at 07:09 PM.

  15. #105
    Dependent martinijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Aventus - I joined the hype.

    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Oh is there another one in need of merging? - must be slipping - missed that one....

    Edit - it's homing instinct has brought it here....
    I feel a bit sorry for the poor guy who just wanted to know if he should buy Le Male or 1 Million.

  16. #106
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    13,379

    Default Re: Aventus - I joined the hype.

    Yes, sorry about that, kevin rodriguez - we'll re-start your thread in a more sensible fashion.

  17. #107

    Default Re: Aventus way too overrated?

    Of course aventus is not overated nor overpriced. To be overated, it would need to be one of the worst selling creeds with the greatest hype behind it. To be overpriced the price point would have to be higher than people would be willing to pay. Neither of these examples are true. Aventus is one of the best selling creeds of all time and with good reason. We all have our own opinions and our own tastes, but sales and numbers do not lie.

  18. #108
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    107,981

    Default Re: Aventus way too overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by jarrodrocks View Post
    To be overrated, it would need to be one of the worst selling creeds with the greatest hype behind it. To be overpriced the price point would have to be higher than people would be willing to pay. Neither of these examples are true. Aventus is one of the best selling Creeds of all time and with good reason. We all have our own opinions and our own tastes, but sales and numbers do not lie.
    Interesting points you raise.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  19. #109
    Dependent martinijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Aventus way too overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Interesting points you raise.
    That's one way of putting it.
    Can anyone explain "to be overrated it would need to be one of the worst selling creeds with the greatest hype behind it" to me ?



    * On second thoughts don't bother.

  20. #110

    Default Re: Aventus way too overrated?

    Meaning if it were "overrated" it would not be as successful as it is. If aventus were one of the worst selling and least popular fragrances from the creed house and people still commented on how amazing of a fragrance it is i could understand the overrated argument. How is one of the best selling creeds ever in the history of creed overrated? If you take your personal tastes and opinion out of the equation, the numbers support the fact that aventus is not an overrated fragrance.

  21. #111
    Dependent martinijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Aventus way too overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by jarrodrocks View Post
    Meaning if it were "overrated" it would not be as successful as it is. If aventus were one of the worst selling and least popular fragrances from the creed house and people still commented on how amazing of a fragrance it is i could understand the overrated argument. How is one of the best selling creeds ever in the history of creed overrated? If you take your personal tastes and opinion out of the equation, the numbers support the fact that aventus is not an overrated fragrance.
    Rather a simplistic argument.
    The best selling newspapers in UK are the Sun and the Daily Mail.

  22. #112
    Dependent rubegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    War of the Roses
    Posts
    2,188

    Default Re: Aventus way too overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by jarrodrocks View Post
    Meaning if it were "overrated" it would not be as successful as it is. If aventus were one of the worst selling and least popular fragrances from the creed house and people still commented on how amazing of a fragrance it is i could understand the overrated argument. How is one of the best selling creeds ever in the history of creed overrated? If you take your personal tastes and opinion out of the equation, the numbers support the fact that aventus is not an overrated fragrance.
    That only makes sense if you think that sales volume corresponds to quality. I would guess that Le Male, Old Spice, 1 Million, Acqua di Gio, and many others sell more units than Aventus. Your argument suggests that they are "better" and thus underrated.

    Overrated just means that many people rate it highly when in fact it's not as good as they say it is.

    Consider this possibility: Aventus is mediocre, but appeals to a large number of people that are not very interested in fragrance, so it sells very well. Among those that are very interested in fragrance, some people rave about it but many others don't think it's particularly special. Thus, overrated.

    I'm not saying this is the case, because I don't have much of an opinion about Aventus.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  23. #113

    Default Re: Aventus way too overrated?

    I see your point and it is valid. Your examples were also designer fragrances that could be had for under 60 bucks and could be purchased in most retail settings. I even saw 1 million and acqua di Gio in a cruiseship giftshop. I don't see aventus as a fragrance that the average person owning one or two fragrances will own. In my experience, I don't have any friends that are into fragrances enough to spend over $100 a bottle let alone over $200. They are more likely to purchase the latest sample in a mens magazine. I don't think the average person would even know about the creed house. Aventus has been my most complimented fragrance and when people ask me what I'm wearing and I tell them Creed Aventus they look at me like I was speaking another language. You are correct that an overrated fragrance is one that garners more praise than is deserved. At the end of the day I'm not sure if this is something that can be proved or is solely based on opinion which seems to be the case regarding fragrances in general. Interesting to hear your point though.

  24. #114

    Default Re: Aventus way too overrated?

    Nothing but love friend, just trying to express my point. Appreciate your constructive feedback.

  25. #115
    Dependent martinijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Aventus way too overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by jarrodrocks View Post
    Nothing but love friend, just trying to express my point. Appreciate your constructive feedback.
    No worries. Same to you

  26. #116

    Default Re: Aventus way too overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Not sure how my highly intelligent , olympic wheelchair racing acquaintance would feel about that comment but I found it a little more interesting than your comments about Aventus

    More importantly, does he like creed aventus?

  27. #117

    Default Re: Aventus way too overrated?

    Not intended to offend. My apologies.

  28. #118
    Dependent martinijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Aventus way too overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by severate View Post

    More importantly, does he like creed aventus?
    She. She's a woman, and I don't know if she likes Aventus.
    next time I see her I'll tell her a fanboy on an internet forum was asking how she felt about an overpriced men's fragrance but she's probably too busy training to give a flying f***.

    * Don't take that too personally, I wasn't really offended by your flippancy.
    Last edited by martinijo; 12th November 2013 at 12:40 AM.

  29. #119

    Default Re: Aventus way too overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    She. She's a woman, and I don't know if she likes Aventus.
    next time I see her I'll tell her a fanboy on an internet forum was asking how she felt about an overpriced men's fragrance but she's probably too busy training to give a flying f***.

    * Don't take that too personally, I wasn't really offended by your flippancy.
    Yes, please I am dying to know.

  30. #120
    Dependent rubegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    War of the Roses
    Posts
    2,188

    Default Re: Aventus way too overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by jarrodrocks View Post
    I see your point and it is valid. Your examples were also designer fragrances that could be had for under 60 bucks and could be purchased in most retail settings. I even saw 1 million and acqua di Gio in a cruiseship giftshop. I don't see aventus as a fragrance that the average person owning one or two fragrances will own. In my experience, I don't have any friends that are into fragrances enough to spend over $100 a bottle let alone over $200. They are more likely to purchase the latest sample in a mens magazine. I don't think the average person would even know about the creed house. Aventus has been my most complimented fragrance and when people ask me what I'm wearing and I tell them Creed Aventus they look at me like I was speaking another language. You are correct that an overrated fragrance is one that garners more praise than is deserved. At the end of the day I'm not sure if this is something that can be proved or is solely based on opinion which seems to be the case regarding fragrances in general. Interesting to hear your point though.
    The big selling cheap designer and drugstore fragrances are exactly the same as Aventus - just for a different income range. I guarantee you that that the vast majority of Creed sales are to people that only own a couple of fragrances. Those people just have a lot more disposable income that most of your friends probably do. They're the same folks that buy their socks, jeans, and shoes at Neiman Marcus or Saks for 5x as much as most of us do. The average Creed buyer is a clueless schmoe (clueless about fragrance at least) that just happens to make more than $300K a year.

    Aventus is the Acqua di Gio of the upmarket - that's obvious. It's the most successful high end mens fragrance because it appeals to the greatest number of wealthy people. Not the greatest number of fragrance enthusiasts.

    A lot of the people that rave about it are relatively inexperienced and don't have much to say other than they like it a lot and they get a lot of compliments. Many (though not all) more experienced folks think it's nothing special.

    So is it overrated? It's kind of a meaningless question - depends on whether you think it's good. But you can see why a lot of people on a fragrance forum might think so.

    The jealousy argument is ludicrous, by the way. Every Creed "haters" I know of on Basenotes could easily afford to buy Creed but don't want to. I don't see many of the Marshall's and TJ Maxx shoppers trashing Aventus.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Similar Threads

  1. Overrated...
    By SpaceAboveSky in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 2nd August 2014, 01:35 PM
  2. Plainsight Tries Aventus: Is Aventus Worth The Hype?
    By plainsight in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22nd September 2012, 03:52 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12th September 2012, 01:42 AM
  4. Noirdrakkar Tries Aventus: Is Aventus Worth The Hype?
    By noirdrakkar in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 30th August 2012, 11:26 AM
  5. Tea for Two --> overrated?
    By Red_Rose in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 17th May 2006, 02:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000