Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Aventus way too overrated?

I mean dont get me wrong guys. I like the smell but its nothing spectacular.

I feel like most people who brag about aventus is almost brain washed by the hype created by others.

Default Re: Aventus way too overrated?

I think it's great. Not overrated to me.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I think it varies on the person.

To me, it's one of the best of all time. It will go down in history as a classic.

However, others will probably feel differently about it.

The fact that it elicits such a wide variations of reaction is a testament to its genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post

I feel like most people who brag about aventus is almost brain washed by the hype created by others.
    Nothing special to me. Then again I haven't met a Creed that's worth its asking price.
    Last edited by NYCBoomBoom; 22nd February 2013 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    Nothing special to me. Then again I haven't met a creed that's worth its asking price.
    Aventus is the best by Creed. But is it worth the pricetag? No.

For $300 dollars, I can get much better quality than Creed. I would pick Tom Ford over Creed. Creed is about the same quality as fragrances like Terre d'Hermes. Creed is a step above department store designer fragrances, but not as good as TF private line.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

Quote Originally Posted by smellgood4u View Post

For $300 dollars, I can get much better quality than Creed. I would pick Tom Ford over Creed. Creed is about the same quality as fragrances like Terre d'Hermes. Creed is a step above department store designer fragrances, but not as good as TF private line.
    I can readily agree with that. I'd also add Bond no.9 into the equation, no better than Creed in terms of quality compared to asking price.

Anything that is great can be considered overrated.

It shouldn't matter to the person posing the question. Either you like it or you don't.....
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Quote Originally Posted by smellgood4u View Post

I agree to the above - as I have mentioned in the past, maybe spending 300 for vintage Creed's are logical, but today's version is too watered down IMO & experience. Today's house of Creed = House of Greed.

Way overrated, as is Bond # 9 - shouldn't pay more than 150 -200 max for either of the brands...By Kilian's can also be thrown to the loop, but I like their parfums, which I would rate higher than either of the Creed or Bond brands, so I buy only their refills and buy a good atomizer from outside. I don't care for their jewel box package...Packaging is important, but to spend as much as u spend for the juice inside is ridiculous...

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    I think it's great. Not overrated to me.
    Nor to me.

Blog Entries

All I see is hype with this scent. Tried it out and it was just 'meh' to me.

Tried it a few times now, tried to like it, but just can't get past the price. The scent doesn't blow me away on application or in the drydown, and longevity is average at best. Top dollar prices demand top dollar performance in all areas, and Aventus just does not fit the bill for me.

Sound Scents

It is both overrated and quite frankly not very good, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Is it overrated? Yes. However, its a good scent. With that pricepoint an interesting alternative to consider would be Rivages des Syrtes-MDCI. And its still less expensive than Creed. (Without the bust, of course.)
    My mom's great. I appreciate her sense of humor, patience and fondness for daytime drinking. :0)

I would say so, I got told I smelt like a pencil case when wearing it.

On me, it fell flat. On one of my friends, it was great, so it became a nice, if unintended, gift. Oh well, I learned my lesson: try, try, try before you buy.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Honestly I'm not a fan but it is what it is. Not Creed's fault if someone were to buy a bottle based on hype.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    It is both overrated and quite frankly not very good, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MTB79 View Post
    I would say so, I got told I smelt like a pencil case when wearing it.
    Are you sure you weren't carrying a pencil case?

Aventus is a magnificent composition imo.

One of my top 5 all time.

It's maybe because of all the hype some people are determined not to like it. I think it's one of their better masculines.

1. Thousands honestly love it.
    2. Thousands love it because others love it.
    3. Thousands hate it because of the first two.
    4. Thousands honestly don't like it.

Now, someone can make a poll, we can all honestly vote from now till eternity, and finally kill these tired Aventus threads...

Yes it is. Stay true to what your nose tells you; not others.

To me it is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overrated.

But that's just me.

i think we need to respect each person opinion... in this case each nose...

its quite pricey... i think thats where some hate comes from...

I find it VERY overrated but it is only due to the hype, not as much the juice being horrible. It is well blended stuff but the pineapple, no matter the batch, wears me down. I even like the longevity. I'll just never get over wearing a slightly smoky pineapple. To me that makes it more of an OK fragrance. Not enough to be getting the love it gets.

So i'm in the honestly don't like it crowd just because of the ingredients. If you gave me that blending and longevity of anything else I liked I'd love it.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Basenotes Junkie

Aventus is extremely average. The only reason people love it so much is 1.The Hype 2.It's made by Creed 3. It's got a cool sounding name 4. It's expensive(people seem to feel more important when wearing expensive colognes)

Basenotes Member

Wow very interesting Thread. I personally won't spend that much on a scent but I would love to try it out. Makes me think thou if it becomes so popular that its now being sold at Walgreens would I want to wear it?
    Smelling Good on a Budget!

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    Aventus is extremely average. The only reason people love it so much is 1.The Hype 2.It's made by Creed 3. It's got a cool sounding name 4. It's expensive(people seem to feel more important when wearing expensive colognes)
    So you mean to say that the reason I love Aventus is because it's expensive and has a cool sounding name? Not because it simply smells wonderful? Wow, thanks for opening my eyes bro.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    So you mean to say that the reason I love Aventus is because it's expensive and has a cool sounding name? Not because it simply smells wonderful? Wow, thanks for opening my eyes bro.

No I dont think he means that and in reality just because some people start to think that fart smells good wouldnt make me wear a cologne made from it so yes, you are theoretically correct when saying "I wear it because I like it" but what others say about it has a lot to do with it , too.
    People do get influenced..

what others say about it has a lot to do with it , too.
    People do get influenced..
    Granted, but these people's "opinions" say more about the people themselves rather than the fragrance in question.

I liked Aventus before I knew about Creed or the price. A bottle was next to other fragrances I like so I tried it. Aventus smells very good, the only reason I don't buy is because I like other scents at the $300 price. If Aventus was priced at a lower level, I would buy it.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

Great frag IMO! I don't feel it is overrated at all.

Basenotes Plus

A month ago i probably would have said that it's worth every penny, and by far in my collection the best smelling scent and all around loved, guaranteed compliment scent. The bottle i have still is, but i've recently discovered the HUGE difference within the batch numbers of aventus. I smelled the "pineapple" batch, which is utter crap and watered down compared to my E01 smoky batch (this is my personal opinion of course).

I feel like minus the batch variances, $350 w/tax for a 4.2 oz is worth every penny to me, since the E01 smoky batch smells amazing, especially on my skin (it smells great just spraying it on a piece of clothing too). it projects well, stays consistently great smelling from the complex smoky leathery pineapple top note to the rich vanilla amber base note. I've lost count of how many compliments i get / great encounters i have from wearing this now. Of all the scents i have this still takes the top. I kinda went on a buying spree trying to get something that'll top it but so far nothing, lol (i now have 40+scents, including Pure Distance M, Clive Christian X, Guerlain Bois D'Armenie, and MDCI Ambre topkapi which are in the same ball park price wise, and to me my aventus is way more worth it.)

The other batch i smelled was super watered down, plasticky, and pineapple-generic. I can totally see how people would be underwhelmed if that's what they had smelled. For something like that it is definitely not worth $300+, at around $100 maybe. So yeah. Basically, if you get the "real" batch that where the hype is deserved, then its worth every penny and blows most of the stuff out there out of the water. If you get the generic watery batch though...(which i suspect most of you who think its just meh probably smelled) then yeah, not worth the hype or price.
    “To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.” - Bruce lee

Two days ago I did inventory on my cologne collection(full bottles/splits/samples) I have a total of 200ML's of AVENTUS different buyers(no offical bottle).

I hate to go back to it but it's OVERATED because of batches..If you get a batch with heavy pineapple it's awesome and beautiful scent, you get a batch that is more smokey not so fresh then it's not that great. I have 50 ML's of the fresh heavy pineapple batch and it's great.

I think it is ok.

But other people, that have no idea about "the hype" seem to like it quite a bit.
    TOP PICKS
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille Creed Silver Mountain Water Creed Millesime Imperial
    Gucci Pour Homme II YSL La Nuit de L'homme Versace The Dreamer
    Burberry London YSL L'homme L'occitane Eau Des Baux

Basenotes Junkie

Must be because it's made by Creed and the hype then. And I'm not yer bro, man.

- - - Updated - - -

Must be because it's made by Creed and the hype then. And I'm not yer bro, man.

Ok, so you're saying that I only like Aventus because its hyped like crazy and made by Creed, and that everyone else who likes Aventus is just a victim of hype?

That ignores the central point. Why aventus in the first place? Plenty of other Creeds/niches with cool names have come out and haven't received any fanfare. Its unfair to assume its popularity has little/nothing to due with the fragrance.

Blog Entries

Very nice, very unique frag unlike any other frag. I have smelled. it is in my rotation BUT>>>> Way Way Way overrated. Too many people put Aventus as their favorite Floral, gourmand, wood, aquatic, spice, powder, citrus, leather, rose, tar, vanilla, dirt, water, cat piss fragrance of all time. the worship combined with batch variations suck. the juice is nice.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

It's decent, but nothing special. I've always thought of it as a natural version of all the synthetic generic fragrances.
    I'd paid a designer price tag for it...but $120+? Not a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    It's decent, but nothing special. I've always thought of it as a natural version of all the synthetic generic fragrances.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    I know GIT is out there for $120, but Aventus? At that price I would buy a 4 ounce bottle. At $200+ Aventus becomes overpriced compared to other fragrances.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

I'm not big on most of Creed's fragrances. I wouldn't call them 'overrated'. Just not for me. And, personally, I feel like I could get something better for the bang of my buck at those prices, BUT...

And there's always a big ol' but!

I love Aventus. It's in my top three fragrances of all-time. I like to wear it when I'm in a bad mood to get out of the funk.

Aventus is an interesting scent, but it doesn't appeal to me. Regardless of my personal preference, I don't think it warrants the price tag, especially considering the manufacturing issues.
    Last edited by RedMage; 23rd February 2013 at 07:51 PM.

It smells good but sometimes i feel that BN overhypes it. At least according to my taste.

Not at all over rated
    In my openion this is a modern masterpiece
    Just like its sister Jardin d'Amalfi
    No other house does the citrus & fresh notes
    Better than Creed.

CologneFan85

I personally don't find the scent to be that nice, BUT it does seem to always get the most noticed and complimented. For instance today. I was ordering inside a local Pizza Hut and the woman taking my order says " Wow you smell Amazing! What are you wearing?" I told her Creed Aventus. She said she never heard of it, but I had a small 2 ml in my pocket I carry around and handed it to her. She said thanks, and said she would wear it today. " I find it to be unisex btw" . Hands down its a high projection beast.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed

Basenotes Member

Aventus is one of the Greatest of All Time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevChelios View Post
    BUT...

And there's always a big ol' but!...
    I like big BUTs and I cannot lie...

I've never tried Aventus.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

I bet most of the haters are just envious of creed..... they can only buy from the marshals bargain bin. If you don't like it, don't buy it or wear it.

Not my favorite, but I do like to have it in my rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by severate View Post
    I bet most of the haters are just envious of creed..... they can only buy from the marshals bargain bin. If you don't like it, don't buy it or wear it.

Not my favorite, but I do like to have it in my rotation.
    What a silly post. You're not here to make friends, are you?

What a silly post. You're not here to make friends, are you?
    No, I don't need internet friends, but if that's what you into, great! Go for it!

Guerlainista

No, I don't need internet friends, but if that's what you into, great! Go for it!
    But you'll be so internet lonely! So sad for you.

Why exactly are you spending your time posting on a social media site then, mr no internet friends?

I guess to be internet tough guy walking around internet kicking internet ass left and right. So coooool. I am so blown away by the coolness.

I don't have any Creeds, by the way. I'm not jealous of you because you have some either. I'm internet sad for you.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    But you'll be so internet lonely! So sad for you.

Why exactly are you spending your time posting on a social media site then, mr no internet friends?

I guess to be internet tough guy walking around internet kicking internet ass left and right. So coooool. I am so blown away by the coolness.

I don't have any Creeds, by the way. I'm not jealous of you because you have some either. I'm internet sad for you.
    Have very little creed, and not my favorite. I do enjoy them, and I can tell you that the ones I own, it's because I like how they smell. But I stand by my assessment that a majority (not all)of the hate comes from not being able to afford a seat at the table.

I am not breaking any new ground here, sorry if you do not like the way I am saying it.

...I stand by my assessment that a majority (not all)of the hate comes from not being able to afford a seat at the table.
    My assessment is that the "hate" (or boredom) comes from the sales pitch by SAs assigned to the Creed counter, and often embraced unquestioningly by forum members, focusing on this imaginary exclusivity.

My guess, and I haven't checked, is that if you looked in the wardrobes of the members who have made negative remarks about Creed fragrances, you would find many fragrances that are on the same or even higher price points.

Last point, Creed can in fact sometimes be found in Marshall's (or other discounters) bargain bins, there are posts about it if you care to search for them.

Indeed, no new ground being broken here, peace out.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Not overated and worth every penny to me.

Have very little creed, and not my favorite. I do enjoy them, and I can tell you that the ones I own, it's because I like how they smell. But I stand by my assessment that a majority (not all)of the hate comes from not being able to afford a seat at the table.

I am not breaking any new ground here, sorry if you do not like the way I am saying it.
    Actually, most of the Creed hate comes from people who feel that Creed make boring designer-like scents and sell them at niche level prices. There are also those who are turned off by their made up history, and ridiculous marketing. What is a royal pineapple anyways? A lot of the so called "haters" own fragrances that are more expensive than Creed. And it's not like Creeds are at some crazy unobtainable price point. You can get a 75ml Creed online for around $100, that's only slightly more than a bottle of Chanel or Acqua di Gio. You're entitled to your opinion, but I think once you spend a bit more time here, you'll change your mind.

Edit: I see zatarain beat me to it!
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 9th November 2013 at 06:54 AM.

Not sure what a royal pinnaple is either. Marketing I guess..... But that's a huge part of this industry. All houses do it.

It just seems to me that it's trendy (especially here) to hate on creed.

Not much different than the band Lol, yet if you are out at a bar, no one starts a riot or complains when they are played.
    But on the internet, they are the worst band ever.

They price what the market will allow..... And I would not buy a creed discounted , just because it's a creed. I am by no means a fanboy. I have a few, and bought them because I like the smell. And price point does not play a role in that.

There are a few fragrances I like, but are a bit higher than I would spend, but I do not campaign to show they should be cheaper.
    It's just crazy to me how much attention creed and aventus draws. Both positive and negative.

Basenotes Junkie

Now where did that object button run off to?

Aventus is a masterpiece. A truly groundbreaking fragrance with great longevity. Aventus is overhated.