Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: New Guy in need of help!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Perhaps Green Irish Tweed by Creed might work.
    What about Burberry London?

Default Aventus - I joined the hype.

I know this scent is talked about a lot on here, but I thought I'd give me opinion.

This is the first scent that when I smelled it the first time didn't really like it at all, but after the second time I absolutely loved it! Not sure how this can be as I normally have to like something right from the start(don't even get me started on DHI!).

This could quite possibly be my new favourite scent. To me it's a no nonsense masculine fragrance that smells great, lasts long and projects well. Very pricey, but I think anyone should own this at least once.

I thought I got a good deal on fragrancenet, and although they say it's shipped from within the UK, they still charge an obscene amount for shipping and handling! Luckily I found it elsewhere at a very good price.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Aventus - I joined the hype.

I agree it's a great masculine scent and I'm glad I own it.

Do you really have to start an Aventus thread just to say you like it? Mr. Creed Employee?

Quote Originally Posted by anewtypedude View Post
    Do you really have to start an Aventus thread just to say you like it? Mr. Creed Employee?
    Oh sorry, I thought this was a fragrance forum.

If you have nothing useful to say, stay off my treads.

Good for you.

There's one of these every week or so - a dozen or so posts to "establish credibility" and then the inevitable 'Hey, is Aventus cool or what?" one . . . tiresome.

So obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    There's one of these every week or so - a dozen or so posts to "establish credibility" and then the inevitable 'Hey, is Aventus cool or what?" one . . . tiresome.
    Alright, next time you buy a new fragrance, please don't come on here telling everyone about it.

Geez.

Welcome! You have very good taste.

Its always nice when someone finds a perfume they really enjoy. Congrats.

Enjoy your purchase. It's a really good fragrance IMO.

I understand your point but not sure why you quoted this post... you can easily get a 4.2 oz of MIP EDP for ~$40.

- - - Updated - - -

^^^ nevermind just realized it was probably your standard tired blind Creed hate which caused you to mis-interpret MIP (Midnight in Paris) as Millesime Imperial.

Quote Originally Posted by KBF1972 View Post
    I agree it's a great masculine scent and I'm glad I own it.
    Same here.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Aventus deserves all the hype it gets...great frag, but there is no way I could wear it daily/signature. Can only take it in small doses...but those small doses compare with nothing out there.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

It is the king for a reason. I will never be without it.

Default Re: Aventus way too overrated?

Aventus, yeah!
    With great smell comes great responsibility

World changing super frag - masterpiece of pineapple - the stuff of legend - Amazing. Absolutely amazing - I love it! - The very best - this is ultimate stuff

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    Now where did that object button run off to?
    Sorry, no idea - in the meantime, here's the Creed Sub-Forum.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/300...ntus+sub+forum

Creed figured out long ago one of the things to tell their employees to do in their spare time. Hard to know how many of these threads are started by names that soon disappear. It's in the hundreds.

What a wonderfully original refreshing thread.

I bet all the haters can't afford it.

Jealousy is a nasty thing.

Creed prices here were all the same and I was very happy, now Aventus is more expensive just like all other countries.

It's a great scent, a compliment getter.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Oh boring -- do you want us to suggest Aventus by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by MFM View Post

You're sniping now.

I have this scent and like it but in view of the numerous fan threads here (some of them no doubt started by people who work for Creed) I chose not to start any more threads on the wretched subject. Saturation point has been reached. Surely you can see that?

It's pathetic, really - I suppose there is some sort of shill handbook rationale as to keeping the name visible in the hopes of picking up traffic but at some point you would think the instigators of this shit might have the intelligence to gather that it's a turn off - unless of course it's just the kids who like to score points by 'getting a rise' from people here. Woo hoo, high five dudes.

Let's hope the newly inducted moderators are able to spot these morons and exert some pest control sooner rather than later.

Welcome to the club...Master piece regardless of haters out there, I give respect to blends that are Awe inspiring and this is one of them...

And yes this horse is dead{topic wise}and many will see it as "beating a dead horse" but a person to announce his take for the first time on a specific frag that's overwhelming popular in the community is great, irregardless if I'm against it : I take into consideration that they're NOT the many in this world's population willing to shell out 330.00usd at creed boutique or a bit less else where, so how popular is this scent percentage wise excluding fume heads willing to cough up this amount of cash on a dissipating juice....like any other that dissipates into the air eventually...Just enjoy folks and be happy for the next guy who is willing to spent this exorbitant amount of Euros/Dollars/Yen on This Creed beauty.....Cheerios and God bless.
    Last edited by magnus611; 11th November 2013 at 02:50 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

It's pathetic, really - I suppose there is some sort of shill handbook rationale as to keeping the name visible in the hopes of picking up traffic but at some point you would think the instigators of this shit might have the intelligence to gather that it's a turn off - unless of course it's just the kids who like to score points by 'getting a rise' from people here. Woo hoo, high five dudes.

Let's hope the newly inducted moderators are able to spot these morons and exert some pest control sooner rather than later.
    What's pathetic? The fact that you cannot add anything useful and feel the need to act above everyone because you've got 5000 odd posts of crap you've spouted over how many years? I wonder how many of those posts have been about a new fragrance you enjoyed?

Thinking that someone posting about a new scent they bought is working for the company?? Please. Who do you work for, the American government? As for your other insightful theory that I'm a 'kid who likes to score points', sorry, not one of those either.

So I'll say it again, if you don't like what you're reading, move along. I didn't ask for your self righteous comments.

I thought I got a good deal on fragrancenet, and although they say it's shipped from within the UK, they still charge an obscene amount for shipping and handling! Luckily I found it elsewhere at a very good price.
    Well, first off, if you're proud in your first post about how you found an amazing deal on-line, it undermines the "you're just a hater because you probably can't afford it" angle later on.

Second -- and more importantly -- you should expect a higher level of play when you join a group dedicated to something.

If you joined a music forum, and started a thread about:
    "Hey guys, I found an artist who's really, really awesome. I know people talk about him, but man now I see what the fuss is about. And by the way, girls love this guy, too. Just sayin'! Anyway, the name of this king is . . . Justin Timberlake!"
    Even though it's possible to love Justin Timberlake, and think he's really significant in music history, there's going to be people on a forum dedicated to music who will have heard more than is necessary about him.

That doesn't make them haters. It makes them the kind of people who join online forums.

Go to Chowhound and say, "Hey guys, you know who makes the best burger in town? Wendy's!" For the record, I *love* Wendy's. But I'd be pretty naive to go on a food forum and say that and then get knocked around and then get all indignant.

You have -- just by accident -- started off with something we've all heard about five thousand times. It's great you're excited enough about your find to come on here. *Everybody* on here knows that feeling. If that excitement sticks, then you should stick around.

Does the above comment considered⬆️ TROLLING⬆️ I don't know but it sure looks like it to me , for if it looks like a duck and Quacks like a duck ...then it is a TROLL..
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Thanks for that, although it's really not that hard to just refrain from posting anything if you've read about the same thing for the thousandth time.

I know this scent is talked about a lot on here, but I thought I'd give me opinion.
    OP: I'd suggest using the search function for threads such as this as I'm sure you know, Aventus is a commonly discussed fragrance around here. There are currently three or four threads devoted to "hype" right now, so rather than starting up one more, you'd be best served to join an existing thread on the subject with people who are already discussing it which would also function to keep from filling the boards with Aventus threads.

Haha. OMG. There seems to be a total hatred for anything Aventus related on here.

I hope I don't get the same response wearing it.

Haha. OMG. There seems to be a total hatred for anything Aventus related on here.
    I think you'll find that the opposite is true on Basenotes

Just try to be considerate of other users and join an existing conversation rather than starting up more. It's a better way to contribute, and it'll keep your opinion from vanishing into the pile of Aventus threads.

Guerlainista

Thanks for that, although it's really not that hard to just refrain from posting anything if you've read about the same thing for the thousandth time.
    It's even easier to refrain from posting something for the 1000th time in the first place. We see this every week. It gets old. This should be in the Just Starting Out forum, by the way, if it belongs anywhere. Better to just post in one of the tons of other Aventus threads and just bump it that create yet another "I'm a Noob and I like Aventus" thread.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Basenotes Junkie

Im going to join a Chevy enthusiast forum, and my first thread will be entitled. " OMG guys, Corvettes are soooooo cool "
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior Privee, Chanel Exclusif, Creed, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, MOLECULE 01
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Banned
    Blog Entries

I will stick to my decant
    No more FB'S for some time for me

Purchased a sample, waiting for it to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    I understand your point but not sure why you quoted this post... you can easily get a 4.2 oz of MIP EDP for ~$40.

- - - Updated - - -

^^^ nevermind just realized it was probably your standard tired blind Creed hate which caused you to mis-interpret MIP (Midnight in Paris) as Millesime Imperial.
    It was a toss up between you and Hednic for the tired blind Creed recommendations. I settled on you because Hednic has had flack recently from other posters. For the record some members have used use the MIP abbreviation for Millesime Imperial, but now I see what you meant I'm almost tempted to second your recommendation.

As there are currently two Creed threads causing distress, it might be an idea to merge them so that all of the arguing is taking place in one thread.
    Hold on...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wear Aventus once a week. It's the only fragrance that I'd ever been complimented on.

Last edited by lpp; 11th November 2013 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AVENTUSMAN View Post
    Welcome! You have very good taste.

- - - Updated - - -

Is Monday Creed fanboy day?
    That's three new ones I've come across in the last ten minutes...

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by martinijo; 11th November 2013 at 06:14 PM.

Oh is there another one in need of merging? - must be slipping - missed that one....

Edit - it's homing instinct has brought it here....
    Last edited by lpp; 11th November 2013 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Oh is there another one in need of merging? - must be slipping - missed that one....

Edit - it's homing instinct has brought it here....
    I feel a bit sorry for the poor guy who just wanted to know if he should buy Le Male or 1 Million.

Yes, sorry about that, kevin rodriguez - we'll re-start your thread in a more sensible fashion.

Of course aventus is not overated nor overpriced. To be overated, it would need to be one of the worst selling creeds with the greatest hype behind it. To be overpriced the price point would have to be higher than people would be willing to pay. Neither of these examples are true. Aventus is one of the best selling creeds of all time and with good reason. We all have our own opinions and our own tastes, but sales and numbers do not lie.

Quote Originally Posted by jarrodrocks View Post
    To be overrated, it would need to be one of the worst selling creeds with the greatest hype behind it. To be overpriced the price point would have to be higher than people would be willing to pay. Neither of these examples are true. Aventus is one of the best selling Creeds of all time and with good reason. We all have our own opinions and our own tastes, but sales and numbers do not lie.
    Interesting points you raise.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Interesting points you raise.
    That's one way of putting it.
    Can anyone explain "to be overrated it would need to be one of the worst selling creeds with the greatest hype behind it" to me ?

* On second thoughts don't bother.

Meaning if it were "overrated" it would not be as successful as it is. If aventus were one of the worst selling and least popular fragrances from the creed house and people still commented on how amazing of a fragrance it is i could understand the overrated argument. How is one of the best selling creeds ever in the history of creed overrated? If you take your personal tastes and opinion out of the equation, the numbers support the fact that aventus is not an overrated fragrance.

Meaning if it were "overrated" it would not be as successful as it is. If aventus were one of the worst selling and least popular fragrances from the creed house and people still commented on how amazing of a fragrance it is i could understand the overrated argument. How is one of the best selling creeds ever in the history of creed overrated? If you take your personal tastes and opinion out of the equation, the numbers support the fact that aventus is not an overrated fragrance.
    Rather a simplistic argument.
    The best selling newspapers in UK are the Sun and the Daily Mail.

Guerlainista

That only makes sense if you think that sales volume corresponds to quality. I would guess that Le Male, Old Spice, 1 Million, Acqua di Gio, and many others sell more units than Aventus. Your argument suggests that they are "better" and thus underrated.

Overrated just means that many people rate it highly when in fact it's not as good as they say it is.

Consider this possibility: Aventus is mediocre, but appeals to a large number of people that are not very interested in fragrance, so it sells very well. Among those that are very interested in fragrance, some people rave about it but many others don't think it's particularly special. Thus, overrated.

I'm not saying this is the case, because I don't have much of an opinion about Aventus.

I see your point and it is valid. Your examples were also designer fragrances that could be had for under 60 bucks and could be purchased in most retail settings. I even saw 1 million and acqua di Gio in a cruiseship giftshop. I don't see aventus as a fragrance that the average person owning one or two fragrances will own. In my experience, I don't have any friends that are into fragrances enough to spend over $100 a bottle let alone over $200. They are more likely to purchase the latest sample in a mens magazine. I don't think the average person would even know about the creed house. Aventus has been my most complimented fragrance and when people ask me what I'm wearing and I tell them Creed Aventus they look at me like I was speaking another language. You are correct that an overrated fragrance is one that garners more praise than is deserved. At the end of the day I'm not sure if this is something that can be proved or is solely based on opinion which seems to be the case regarding fragrances in general. Interesting to hear your point though.

Nothing but love friend, just trying to express my point. Appreciate your constructive feedback.

Nothing but love friend, just trying to express my point. Appreciate your constructive feedback.
    No worries. Same to you

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Not sure how my highly intelligent , olympic wheelchair racing acquaintance would feel about that comment but I found it a little more interesting than your comments about Aventus

More importantly, does he like creed aventus?

Not intended to offend. My apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by severate View Post

More importantly, does he like creed aventus?
    She. She's a woman, and I don't know if she likes Aventus.
    next time I see her I'll tell her a fanboy on an internet forum was asking how she felt about an overpriced men's fragrance but she's probably too busy training to give a flying f***.

* Don't take that too personally, I wasn't really offended by your flippancy.
    Last edited by martinijo; 12th November 2013 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    She. She's a woman, and I don't know if she likes Aventus.
    next time I see her I'll tell her a fanboy on an internet forum was asking how she felt about an overpriced men's fragrance but she's probably too busy training to give a flying f***.

* Don't take that too personally, I wasn't really offended by your flippancy.
    Yes, please I am dying to know.

Guerlainista

I see your point and it is valid. Your examples were also designer fragrances that could be had for under 60 bucks and could be purchased in most retail settings. I even saw 1 million and acqua di Gio in a cruiseship giftshop. I don't see aventus as a fragrance that the average person owning one or two fragrances will own. In my experience, I don't have any friends that are into fragrances enough to spend over $100 a bottle let alone over $200. They are more likely to purchase the latest sample in a mens magazine. I don't think the average person would even know about the creed house. Aventus has been my most complimented fragrance and when people ask me what I'm wearing and I tell them Creed Aventus they look at me like I was speaking another language. You are correct that an overrated fragrance is one that garners more praise than is deserved. At the end of the day I'm not sure if this is something that can be proved or is solely based on opinion which seems to be the case regarding fragrances in general. Interesting to hear your point though.
    The big selling cheap designer and drugstore fragrances are exactly the same as Aventus - just for a different income range. I guarantee you that that the vast majority of Creed sales are to people that only own a couple of fragrances. Those people just have a lot more disposable income that most of your friends probably do. They're the same folks that buy their socks, jeans, and shoes at Neiman Marcus or Saks for 5x as much as most of us do. The average Creed buyer is a clueless schmoe (clueless about fragrance at least) that just happens to make more than $300K a year.

Aventus is the Acqua di Gio of the upmarket - that's obvious. It's the most successful high end mens fragrance because it appeals to the greatest number of wealthy people. Not the greatest number of fragrance enthusiasts.

A lot of the people that rave about it are relatively inexperienced and don't have much to say other than they like it a lot and they get a lot of compliments. Many (though not all) more experienced folks think it's nothing special.

So is it overrated? It's kind of a meaningless question - depends on whether you think it's good. But you can see why a lot of people on a fragrance forum might think so.

The jealousy argument is ludicrous, by the way. Every Creed "haters" I know of on Basenotes could easily afford to buy Creed but don't want to. I don't see many of the Marshall's and TJ Maxx shoppers trashing Aventus.