Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Blog Entries

Default Re: Aventus way too overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    The big selling cheap designer and drugstore fragrances are exactly the same as Aventus - just for a different income range. I guarantee you that that the vast majority of Creed sales are to people that only own a couple of fragrances. Those people just have a lot more disposable income that most of your friends probably do. They're the same folks that buy their socks, jeans, and shoes at Neiman Marcus or Saks for 5x as much as most of us do. The average Creed buyer is a clueless schmoe (clueless about fragrance at least) that just happens to make more than $300K a year.

Aventus is the Acqua di Gio of the upmarket - that's obvious. It's the most successful high end mens fragrance because it appeals to the greatest number of wealthy people. Not the greatest number of fragrance enthusiasts.

A lot of the people that rave about it are relatively inexperienced and don't have much to say other than they like it a lot and they get a lot of compliments. Many (though not all) more experienced folks think it's nothing special.

So is it overrated? It's kind of a meaningless question - depends on whether you think it's good. But you can see why a lot of people on a fragrance forum might think so.

The jealousy argument is ludicrous, by the way. Every Creed "haters" I know of on Basenotes could easily afford to buy Creed but don't want to. I don't see many of the Marshall's and TJ Maxx shoppers trashing Aventus.
    This is actually a stunningly good description of the reality of Aventus, and I applaud you for expressing it so articulately, rubegon. (And I say that as a Saks shopper and happy owner of both Aventus and Acqua di Giò!)

I'm a huge fan of "mainstream" scents. Even among the obscure and artsy scents, I tend to gravitate toward more mainstream examples. There's nothing wrong with that. Most people DO like mainstream scents. The thing about Aventus is that it's a relatively interesting and likeable one, which has been kept novel and popular by high pricing and limited availability. Nothing wrong with that, either. If you want a very likeable scent that people won't smell on everybody else, Aventus is the game. Although, when Acqua di Giò Essenza first came out, that stole the Aventus role in my wardrobe for a few months.

I think the thing that is going to be a challenge (and a really good one, too) for our Aventus n00bs is the women's version that is coming soon. I guarantee that it will be a compliment getter - ON GUYS. I want to see all these guys man up and try it!

Man, I never knew a fragrance could spark such a massive argument.

I like Aventus even more now. So much in fact, everytime I wear it I'm going to start a bar fight or brawl somewhere and use Aventus as the excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by severate View Post
    Yes, please I am dying to know.
    I have tried to be understanding, but your making jokes about my physically handicapped friend is now offending me (as well as making me feel embarrassed for you).
    Maybe you could have a little think about the way this makes you appear. If you enjoy coming across like this then obviously I am wasting my time.

97 Positive Reviews • 32 Neutral Reviews • 22 Negative Reviews

Most Basenotes members seem to enjoy Aventus.
    With great smell comes great responsibility

World changing super frag - masterpiece of pineapple - the stuff of legend - Amazing. Absolutely amazing - I love it! - The very best - this is ultimate stuff

Er -- sorry -- backtracking a bit

Merging threads? Does everyone agree with this? My last post from another thread looks particularly dumb in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post

Merging threads? Does everyone agree with this? My last post from another thread looks particularly dumb in this thread.
    Horrible. They did the same to me -- even made a post of mine in a different thread suddenly a "thread starter" in a completely different topic, which wound up making no sense whatsoever.

I guess we just throw posts up now and let the moderators cut and paste the comments where ever they want in order to tell the story they want like some forum version of a ransom note. Perhaps it's boredom now with so many moderators and so few posts to moderate they feel the need to start editing rather than just moderating.

EDIT: I apologize to the moderators - they do a very good job, and I'm sure they have plenty to keep themselves busy.

I am opposed to turning the site into Frankenforum however. But otherwise, a very good job.
    Last edited by dougczar; 12th November 2013 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    Nothing special to me. Then again I haven't met a Creed that's worth its asking price.
    Hear hear ! I totally agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AVENTUSMAN View Post

That's not the issue I think. It is a nice scent. Just not worth the price imo.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Horrible. They did the same to me -- even made a post of mine in a different thread suddenly a "thread starter" in a completely different topic, which wound up making no sense whatsoever.

I guess we just throw posts up now and let the moderators cut and paste the comments where ever they want in order to tell the story they want like some forum version of a ransom note. Perhaps it's boredom now with so many moderators and so few posts to moderate they feel the need to start editing rather than just moderating.
    Yeah, and apparently I'm 'Just starting out' as my thread was merged into this. I've been wearing scents since some people on here were still pooing their pants.

Quote Originally Posted by MFM View Post
    Yeah, and apparently I'm 'Just starting out' as my thread was merged into this. I've been wearing scents since some people on here were still pooing their pants.
    Too funny!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post

This thread stopped making any sense once the mods started merging these threads together. I found it suddenly confusing and hard to follow. I don't see this happening with the NUMEROUS dhi threads. Just because it's about Aventus does not mean it is the same conversation. Now 5+ threads about Cool Water and its flankers, by the same poster, is something that SHOULD be merged.

EDIT: I apologize to the moderators - they do a very good job, and I'm sure they have plenty to keep themselves busy.

I am opposed to turning the site into Frankenforum however. But otherwise, a very good job.

Hi all.

Apologies for the mess that has been made of some threads here - we new mods are currently learning to negotiate the different software and some of us have been having severe connection problems.

Quite a few Cool Water threads have been merged to my knowledge - the 'report' button is still in use if members notice these issues before we do!

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    This thread stopped making any sense once the mods started merging these threads together. I found it suddenly confusing and hard to follow. I don't see this happening with the NUMEROUS dhi threads. Just because it's about Aventus does not mean it is the same conversation. Now 5+ threads about Cool Water and its flankers, by the same poster, is something that SHOULD be merged.
    At the risk of stating the obvious, we are not going to have new posters joining every few days and posting 5+ Cool Water threads.
    You are wrong about it not being the same conversation just because it's Aventus. It is the same inane drivel every time and I personally applaud the moderators for sending a message about where this drivel will be situated in future.(Even if it does look rather hacked about , you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs).

Quote Originally Posted by AVENTUSMAN View Post
    97 Positive Reviews • 32 Neutral Reviews • 22 Negative Reviews

No. About 60% BNers that take the time to review it like it. Most people that don't like something don't bother to write a review on it.
    Last edited by rubegon; 12th November 2013 at 07:51 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I recently sniffed some Aventus in store to see if the reformulation rumours were true. Crikey, what a crock! I'll be holding onto my 2011 bottle but I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone splash out on the recent watered-down tripe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I recently sniffed some Aventus in store to see if the reformulation rumours were true. Crikey, what a crock! I'll be holding onto my 2011 bottle but I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone splash out on the recent watered-down tripe.
    Well I don't know what the 2011 Aventus smells like, but I recently bought a sample and it's anything but watered down.

I should hopefully receive my new bottle of it tomorrow so it better smell the same!

Voicing my appreciation for the merging of the Aventus threads and the Cool Water threads. I feel that it clutters the forums to have multiple current threads on the same subject.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    This is actually a stunningly good description of the reality of Aventus, and I applaud you for expressing it so articulately, rubegon. (And I say that as a Saks shopper and happy owner of both Aventus and Acqua di Giò!)

I'm a huge fan of "mainstream" scents. Even among the obscure and artsy scents, I tend to gravitate toward more mainstream examples. There's nothing wrong with that. Most people DO like mainstream scents. The thing about Aventus is that it's a relatively interesting and likeable one, which has been kept novel and popular by high pricing and limited availability. Nothing wrong with that, either. If you want a very likeable scent that people won't smell on everybody else, Aventus is the game. Although, when Acqua di Giò Essenza first came out, that stole the Aventus role in my wardrobe for a few months.

I think the thing that is going to be a challenge (and a really good one, too) for our Aventus n00bs is the women's version that is coming soon. I guarantee that it will be a compliment getter - ON GUYS. I want to see all these guys man up and try it!
    Thanks Red! Reading this feels a little like getting kudos from the professor for answering a question well in class. :-)

You're the first one I was thinking of when I said "though not all."

I'm looking forward to checking out Lady Aventus. It will probably be more in line with my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    I have tried to be understanding, but your making jokes about my physically handicapped friend is now offending me (as well as making me feel embarrassed for you).
    Maybe you could have a little think about the way this makes you appear. If you enjoy coming across like this then obviously I am wasting my time.
    Listen, you are ok with the guy who made the retard joke , but not me who tried to make light of the situation? Or even your drama filled response? I sir am offended that you are offended. How do you like that? And bye, I am on topic talking a about aventus. You keep bringing up the fact that she is handicapped. Some friend you are. , don't look past it and think she can have an opinion on a fragrance. How small minded you are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    No. About 60% BNers that take the time to review it like it. Most people that don't like something don't bother to write a review on it.
    Sure, who would be silly enough to believe that an aventus hater would seek it out and give it a bad review? Or find a post tto comment how overstated it is for that matter.
    Last edited by severate; 13th November 2013 at 02:33 AM.

It's a good fragrance but not worth the full retail price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, who would be silly enough to believe that an aventus hater would seek it out and give it a bad review? Or find a post tto comment how overstated it is for that matter.
    It's a lot less work to point out a silly argument in a thread than it is to get a sample of a fragrance and write a review of it. See?

Can we delete this thread yet?

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    Can we delete this thread yet?
    No one is forcing you to read it, just ignore it. As to whether not it is overrated, i'm not really sure. The few times i tried it, i fatigued so quickly that i could'nt get a good feel for it. It did smell good, but if i can't smell it for more than a couple minutes, then it's not worth it for me.

Listen, you are ok with the guy who made the retard joke , but not me who tried to make light of the situation? Or even your drama filled response? I sir am offended that you are offended. How do you like that? And bye, I am on topic talking a about aventus. You keep bringing up the fact that she is handicapped. Some friend you are. , don't look past it and think she can have an opinion on a fragrance. How small minded you are.

- - - Updated - - -

You're a real charmer aren't you.
    I wasn't offended by the other guy because he was apologetic for his foolish comment. There was no bad feelings on anybody's part and the matter was done with as far as I was concerned. You then made another smartass comment about it, which I reacted to, and I then put in an addendum saying that I wasn't offended by your flippancy, I just took it as another ill advised remark and I didn't want anyone genuinely worried about causing deep offence .
    You then surprise me by making another sarcastic remark and when I tell you that yes, you are now truly offending me, you tell me I am not a true friend to her and am making the most of her being handicapped.!
    Like I said, maybe you could reflect on how this makes you appear
    Last edited by martinijo; 13th November 2013 at 09:13 PM.

Could I politely ask that any issues that are not about the magic or otherwise of Aventus be dealt with by private message? If my assistance is required on either or both sides, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation,

D

Aventus is a masterpiece. A truly groundbreaking fragrance with great longevity. Aventus is overhated.
    Yup, I agree.

Basenotes Plus

i have sampled aventus on myself and i wasnt a big fan of it. it smells good but i believe my skin doesnt work well with it, which is weird cause i have good skin chemistry with every fragrance i own. i smelt it on a guy at work and it smells amazing. if it smelled like that on me then i would totally get it. i believe the beauty of aventus is in the eyes of the beholder.

No way.
    With great smell comes great responsibility

World changing super frag - masterpiece of pineapple - the stuff of legend - Amazing. Absolutely amazing - I love it! - The very best - this is ultimate stuff