Code of Conduct

Default Caron Tabac Blond - Current versus Vintage

Hello All,

Your feedback required for my query - how close is the current version of Tabac Blond compared to its vintage version? Link below is from luckyscent that sells the EDP of Tabac Blond, which I assume is the current stock.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=55320

While on this subject - how reliable do you think are the supposedly "vintage" Tabac Blond that sells on ebay for $150+ (lets say the seller has a 100% positive rating)?

Thank you in advance for all your feedback...

Default Re: Caron Tabac Blond - Current versus Vintage

The current edp is nothing like vintage (no smoke, no deep leather), so I'd avoid. As with most Carons, parfum is much better, though more expensive. But still, even that is controversial. Our Caronianus maximus Larimar, who will hopefully jchime in tomorrow, has a favorable opinion. I'm still uncertain. The top is gorgeous, it smells like a deep, top whiskey. Then I feel it looses itself a bit, too sweet, and it's not especially leathery and smoky, as I assume vintage parfum (which I've never smelled) should be.

As for ebay, I've never purchased TB. But I've bought several vintage things. It's risky, even with 100% rating, because often they are not in perfect state, something may have turned. It depends on how the bottle has been kept (light etc), but that doesn't depend on the seller, who got it from somewhere else. Usually, a box and a seal (on a parfum) could indicate higher quality, but not necessarily. And note that if the quality of the vintage juice is not perfect, you cannot send it back, unless the seller specifically said that it is in perfect state. So, my rule is never to bid anything I am not willing to lose if a frag turns out to be bad. Which likely explains why I've never been able to secure Tabac Blond, which typically goes for very high prices.

cacio

Expensive frag.

Most of all, I think you should be aware that the EdP is not very much like the Extrait. Get nothing but the Extrait is my advice! The EdP lacks the depth and mystery of the Extrait. It's a rush of cigarette-y tobacco with a 'fresher' (very disturbing) note chiming in until it disappears fairly quickly into nothing.
    The original jus (prior to mid 1980s is my guess) is rather different. It's a very animalic chypre in the style of Lanvin Rumeur, Scandal. There are some nice threads archived here.

I was already hesitant to purchase the one on luckyscent. Based on the few replies so far, it strengthens my position (not to buy). Lets see how many more BN might actually support a purchase like this.

I participated in a split of Tabac Blond Parfum when I first joined BN. This was 9 years ago. The vintage or older stuff was magical. I bought a decant a few years back on TPC and the recent formulation is garbage. Not worth owning.

I really like the current edp. I'm not a vintage hound, though, so I don't know the vintage version - I'm sure I'd love it but I don't go seeking out vintage anything because I believe that way lies madness.

The thing is you have to smell it and judge for yourself. Asking other people's opinions comparing two things you've never smelled (unless you have smelled it, in which case apologies) is a bit absurd, because it's all subjective and you have no reference yourself. Get a sample of the current formulation and see what you think of it.

And there are a number of vintage perfumes I wouldn't trust from ebay. This is near the top of the list. I wouldn't go there unless you have advice from someone trustworthy, e.g., someone well-established here.

Peronally my nose cannot tell the difference between vintage extrait and the modern extrait. I have 2 bottles of vintage extrait and I have sampled the modern extrait at Roja Dove/ Harrods, a perfumery in Cannes and another in Toulon. All three places I sampled had the "fountain" urns. On two occasions I had one of my vintage extraits with me and was able to do a side by side test. I could detect no difference. I think this is another Luca Turin myth, created for marketing his book and getting everyone talking.

I would agree with the other posts that say the edp is different from the extrait and the extrait is superior.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

I too, don't much care for the modern EdP. To my nose, there is a harshness, even scratchiness, to the composition. Never tried vintage EdP, but I suppose the usual caveats apply when buying old perfume from ebay.
    I'm perfectly content with the current extrait. If you haven't already, then do give it a sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    I too, don't much care for the modern EdP. To my nose, there is a harshness, even scratchiness, to the composition. Never tried vintage EdP, but I suppose the usual caveats apply when buying old perfume from ebay.
    I'm perfectly content with the current extrait. If you haven't already, then do give it a sniff.
    Agree totally.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Turin Sanchez review the edp/edt, not the parfum, so his statements about reformulation of Caron usually refers to the lower concentrations, not to the parfums.

cacio

I was initially excited by the current extrait but, lately, I developed a strong aversion to its unbearable rosey-soapiness during the drydown...Still trying to re-discover my old love for this fragrance....

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Fraysse's love of soap is perverse. Many extraits start exciting, and then this annoying soap comes out to clean everything.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Fraysse's love of soap is perverse. Many extraits start exciting, and then this annoying soap comes out to clean everything.

cacio
    True! En Avion seems to skip this aspect, though.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I have only smelled one type of Tabac Blond- from my own bottle, which was bought less than 1 year ago. Does anyone know how to use the numbers on the box to determine the age? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

cacio
    Interesting, I hadn't noticed this aspect with Caron perfumes, but I find the Lanvin extraits all extremely soapy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    I have only smelled one type of Tabac Blond- from my own bottle, which was bought less than 1 year ago. Does anyone know how to use the numbers on the box to determine the age? Thank you.
    How do you find it ?

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post

How do you find it ?
    I find it outstanding and love it a lot. But I haven't tried the vintage and maybe that is actually a good thing for the appreciation of what I have.

I noticed that the box lists oakmoss as an ingredient. I wonder if that is an indication of its vintage. It is definitely not very old, but maybe not the most recent one?