Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Battle of the exclusives - Dior vs Chanel

So I'm in London and have tried a few of the exclusives from Chanel and Dior, and I'm wondering what you think are the best of them.

I've decided to go with Granville from Dior so far, and I'm considering Vetiver and cologne royal as well. I've also set sight on Sycomore, but is kind of similar to vetiver from Dior.

I do own ADP Colonia, so I'm debating the need for another lemony cologne, but I'm still somehow drawn to CR.

About the vetiver offerings, I'm just not sure, even though bners seem to prefer Sycomore over Vetiver.

So. Thoughts? Get them all. Just Granville and sycomore? Or maybe Granville and vetiver, for the sexy dior symmetry?

Default Re: Battle of the exclusives - Dior vs Chanel

I think vetiver and sycomore could easily be accommodated in the same wardrobe without redundancy.
    That said, I think sycomore is the more interesting of the two.

Most people mention Sycomore as their favorite Chanel Les Exclusif. Not me.

My favorite Chanel Les Exclusif is Eau de Cologne. It comes in a big 6.8 oz bottle and I would recommend getting that one because you'll want to spray it on heavily (including on your shirt because it lasts fairly long that way). It is marketed as a female fragrance but it's truly unisex.

Of all the various colognes of this type that I've tried (i.e., ADP Colonia, Guerlain's Eau de Cologne, Lorenzo Villoresi Acqua di Colonia), it's my favorite by a large margin. It's just a beautiful scent, and considering the cost of the 6.8 oz big boy, the price isn't that bad, IMO.

I can only think of 3-4 Chanel's that I would buy, but there about 8 Dior's that would get from there exclusive line.

For Dior, I would go with Fahrenheit and Dior Homme Internse. For Chanel, I would go with Dior Homme Edition Blance and Egoiste.

Basenotes Junkie

I kinda forgot to mention that I own a 12 ml decant of Sycomore, and I haven't used more than about one ml.

Granville is bankers. I'm still really considering Vetiver, and hoping I will be able to ignore Cologne Royal even though I find that lemon mint just damn good.
    Have to sample Eau de cologne as well, but the appaling longevity is a huge turnoff for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    For Dior, I would go with Fahrenheit and Dior Homme Internse. For Chanel, I would go with Allure Homme Edition Blanche and Egoiste.
    FTFY, but the OP was asking about the exclusive lines of each house: Chanels Les Exclusifs and Dior's Couturier collection.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post
    I kinda forgot to mention that I own a 12 ml decant of Sycomore, and I haven't used more than about one ml.

Granville is bankers. I'm still really considering Vetiver, and hoping I will be able to ignore Cologne Royal even though I find that lemon mint just damn good.
    Have to sample Eau de cologne as well, but the appaling longevity is a huge turnoff for me.
    Why have you not used much Sycomore? If you're using it up at such a slow rate, I'd be hesitant about buying a bottle of it (although I was not hesitant about buying it....as soon as I smelled it I had to have it).

Most of the Dior collection impresses me - Ambre Nuit, Oud Ispahan, Leather Oud, Bois d'Argent and Patchouli Imperial are the highlights for me.

I bought a bottle of Leather Oud and it's terrific, but not the most versatile fragrance around.
    If I were going to get a second bottle, I'd likely get Oud Ispahan; it's an often-overlooked contender in the sea of rose/aoud fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post
    It was to me as well. That's when I decided to start spraying on my shirt, in addition to my chest. I went out to a restaurant/bar last weekend and sprayed it on liberally (6-7 sprays). I was very surprised and pleased because the sillage was good and lasted all night. I could even smell it on my shirt the next day. I'm looking very forward to wearing it this summer.

Let's face it, Eau de Colognes just don't last and aren't really meant to. So you have to do something to help them out. For me, spraying a little more and applying it to my clothing is a satisfactory answer.

I'd say Sycomore is woody, almost smoky, and Dior vetiver is fresher and more straightforward. If you have not used Sycomore much, it seems you've already answered the question on which one you prefer.

I also love the Chanel Eau de Cologne. As redraider was saying, it is not meant to last: it's just a freshener, a pure spritz of fun. CR doesn't last too long either - that's the destiny of eau de cologne. The Chanel has a touch of green that I find perfect, Dior CR is more citrusy.

For something fresh and green, I'd also recommend you try Chanel La Pausa: it's a straightforward clean iris, very pleasant.

I see you are drawn to the fresh scents. Otherwise, both lines would offer plenty of great warm scents, from Leather oud to Cuir de Russie and more.

cacio

As I own all the exclusives of both Chanel and Dior and like them all, it's hard to choose, but if forced I'd go with Dior as the preferred "exclusive collection"

I prefer Sycomore over Dior Vetiver but you might want to consider that Dior Vetiver is supposed to be discontinued....which means if you have the chance to get a bottle, you should probably take it...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Junkie

I really like Sycomore, but I guess there is something making me reach for other scents.

I'll give vetiver a skin test tomorrow, and keep on pondering. On paper I found vetiver and sycamore pretty similar, actually. Diors take was infused with coffee and was extremely dark, much more than I was expecting. None of the citrus some of you describe. Strange .

As far as the sheer number of fragrances that I'm likely to deem favorable: Dior > Chanel > Guerlain
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I've tried out some of the exclusives from both the houses, and Dior is better in my opinion. I liked Sycomore, but I didn't find anything from Chanel exclusives to be really special.
    On the other hand I was blown away by Bois d'Argent and Leather Oud, while Vetiver and Eau Noire were quite agreeable too!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I have favorites from both lines. They are not mutually exclusive unless you subscribe to extreme fanboyism..

Chanel's line has Sycomore and Coromandel -- two of my favorites -- whereas the only one I've been moved to purchase from the Dior exclusives is Leather Oud, which I can't help but love despite its challenging base. To be fair, I could spend more time with the Dior line (Vetiver, Patchouli Imperial, and Mitzah all seem promising).

Dior Leather Oud should win an award ! This is one of the best deals in town for quality/price. Dior Vetiver is nice but too simple for my tastes. Oud Isphan is liked by many people but not my taste...too sweet. The others aren't special IMHO.

Chanel really pisses me off because they have great ideas but the collection has serious sillage and longevity issues minus *coromandel. If that was not the case I would own at least 2/3 of them.

The stories about Dior Leather Oud are true. It is a beast and lasts for a LONG TIME. Wear it in warm weather and you will be THAT guy !

Both brands have good their share of successes and fails.

But regarding Sycomore & Vetiver. They are polar opposites.

Vetiver is based around South American vetiver (crips, sharp & dry) whereas Sycomore is based around Indian Ocean veiver (dense, moist & enveloping).

I own and enjoy both.

for swap/sale:

love both lines TBH,

atm, my nose/collection tend to lean more to the Chanel exclusives range more than the Dior exclusivee
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    For Dior, I would go with Fahrenheit and Dior Homme Internse. For Chanel, I would go with Dior Homme Edition Blance and Egoiste.
    None of these are exclusives. Lol. I don't mean to offend you or anything, but why do people post when they have nothing to contribute?

- - - Updated - - -

I'll reiterate that Dior's Vetiver and Sycomore are different enough to warrant having both. I'm not the biggest sycomore fan, but I do admire it's smoky vetiver. Dior's vetiver is a bright lemon vetiver, and it's the one I prefer.

Both houses have extremely rich history. The best of the Chanels are Sycomore, Cuir de Russie (my favorite), Bois des Iles (which I find just completely similar to Egoiste) and Coromandel. Eau de cologne is okay in my opinion. Egoiste trumps them all though.

Dior's are great. Leather oud, ambre nuit (meh in my opinion, but still very respectable), bois d'argent (awesome), vetiver, eau noire (reminded me a lot of A Taste of Heaven). I hear Granville is great. And again, I'd say Dior Homme tops all of these. The dior exclusive line is newer and more modern, while the Chanel exclusives are historically important to the fragrance world and still classics to this day.
    Last edited by Incontinent; 25th February 2013 at 02:25 PM.

Good stuff in both.

I own Chanel: Bois des Iles EDT & Extrait, Cuir de Russie Extrait, Coromandel, 31 Rue Cambon + Dior: Granville & Vetiver.

I like Sycomore, Leather Oud, Patchouli Imperiale and a few others but not compelled to buy them.

Personally I don't rate either of their classic styled Colognes (too synthetic) - give me Guerlain Imperiale any day.