Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: The eBay sellers do what they want

Quote Originally Posted by smellgood4u View Post
    Is it against the rules to ask for positive feedback in exchange for a discounted price?
    Yes it is. But even if you send ebay proof that the seller is cheating like that, ebay won't do anything about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smellgood4u View Post
    I would have saved that request for positive feedback by using a screen capture.
    You don't even have to save it as a screen capture. If you're communicating via messages on ebay (which you always should) the message is already saved, and people at ebay have access to it. You can get customer support on the phone and show them the message. They can read it. And since they record all phone calls, the smart thing to do is ask the customer support person to read the message to you so it's documented verbally in a recording that ebay representatives are aware they have a dishonest seller. It still won't matter. ebay won't do anything about it.
    I have a 100ml Gucci Pour Homme 2003 that I'll swap for Reflection Man or De Bachmakov. PM me if interested.

Buy retail.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    Buy retail.
    "Retail is for suckers"

-Cosmo Kramer
    Currently wearing: Tardes by Carner Barcelona

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    "Retail is for suckers"

-Cosmo Kramer
    Great!

@ TLS

Where would you like me to buy this vintage Guerlain at Retail ?

That's where this topic is about. Vintage is impossible to buy retail,
    for modern scents I go to the smaller perfume shops.
    ----------------------------------------
    www.georgecramer.com

Life sucks doesn't it.
    Last edited by TLS; 24th February 2013 at 12:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Speaking of EBAY, It never ceases to amaze me how much people will bid on something...I was bidding on a bottle of Bond no 9 with a broken atomizer, 50ml 45%full... (about 22mls). I quit watching when it went to $40!!!!
    I can get 13 Bon Bons (22mls)for less than $25 AND THEY WORK. I have no idea how you would get juice out of a bottle with a metal band around the top and the atomizer tube broken off flush!!!
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Ebay is a way of life and a way of spending time. No more to it. People want to win objects they don't really want thinking they had a bargain.

Call it battle of ego's.

You choose yourself to be part of it.

When I suggested to buy retail earlier I only responded to the OP that stated that he was done with ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    Life sucks doesn't it.
    Super member??
    www.georgecramer.com

Sorry to hear about your problems Georgio.
    I buy a lot of stuff on ebay. Until now most of the problems I have had were concerning the miniature bottles. I'm not into collecting mini's, but sometimes it's a good way.(sometimes also the only way) to sample the really rare old stuff. I would say that approximately 80% of the minis I bought were empty flacons filled with either pure alcohol, a different "cheap" perfume or vodka. It was very disheartening and some, such as Patou Pour Homme Sikkim etc, were over €30 each. In the case of Patou Pour Homme I bought 4 from different sellers. All were filled with fake juice. I have learned my lesson now and steer clear of minis, but over the years I probably spent about €200 on fake juice.

- - - Updated - - -

.....and while we're on the subject of ebay, please can somebody answer this question.....
    I am baffled at the fact there is no close, "big" rival/competitor to ebay. Why is this ???.......ebay is ovbiously extremely successful ~ so why hasn't anyone copied the ebay model ? I mean it happens with cheap airlines.....
    and for that matter why isn't there a rival for paypal, (GANGSTERS)! ?
    Last edited by david; 24th February 2013 at 12:56 PM.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgio View Post
    Super member??
    What's your problem?

You said you had so much problems with ebay that you don't want to buy there anymore.

I suggested to buy retail it's not worth the problems.

Then It was said that buying retail is for suckers.

Well there are a whole lotta suckers here then!

Then it was said that I didn't react to the problem because it was about vintage.

Now you are suggesting that I am a crap BN member.

What's this! Get a life!!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

The "titles" under usernames (Basenotes member, Super member, Basenotes junkie, Dependent etc) are assigned automatically based on number of posts the member has made-- excepts there seems to be a glitch and some people don't have one. People who are supporting members (BN Plus) can choose their title.

I buy retail and on eBay. Sometimes I get great deals, sometimes I pay full price. I've done nicely on eBay and I've had disappointments as well. That's the way it goes.

For perfumes from eBay, I only buy fragrances that are not popular enough to be counterfeited and never from a seller using a stock photo.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 24th February 2013 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Always verify if the picture is of actual item, whether box is sealed vs no/tester/plain box etc. before making purchase.
    Otherwise as stared above you can always dispute or return if returns are accepted.
    This
    And if there's no reply, you can take it as the picture is NOT of the actual item and most likely deceitful.

In the OP's case i would without doubt file a "Item Not As Described" case in Paypal , because the difference of described and actual item is so huge - in these cases buyers win 99% and gets their money back.

I disagree that sellers usually win.
    Last edited by df91; 24th February 2013 at 01:51 PM.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Signature: Rochas Macassar (Nicolas Mamounas / Roger Pellegrino, 1980)

Current Top 6:

Chanel Antaeus (vtg) (Jaques Polge, 1981)
    Terre d' Hermes EDT (2006-2009) (Jean-Claude Ellena, 2006)
    Green Irish Tweed (Probably Oliver Creed / Pierre Bourdon, 1985)
    Eau de Rochas Pour Homme (Gilles Romey, 1993)
    Bleu de Chanel EDP (Jaques Polge, 2014)
    YSL Jazz (vtg) (Jean-Franois Latty, 1988)
    Currently wearing: Macassar by Rochas

Thanks 30 Roses!

@df91

The seller did offer 'money back' incase I would return the bottle,
    but then I am still losing 35 euro import & VAT + the 29 dollar shipping costs + shipping back from Europe to USA. Not worth it.
    That's why I accepted a 35% discount on the order.
    Last edited by Georgio; 24th February 2013 at 02:00 PM.
    www.georgecramer.com

Ok, it was your decision, and i don't criticize it. Personally i'm quite strict if i'm fooled in eBay - i use my right to use the "paypal buyer protection" and have 100% my money back including shipping cost.

On the other hand, i'm quite broad minded, i don't open the paypal case unless the product is essentially different as described.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Signature: Rochas Macassar (Nicolas Mamounas / Roger Pellegrino, 1980)

Current Top 6:

Chanel Antaeus (vtg) (Jaques Polge, 1981)
    Terre d' Hermes EDT (2006-2009) (Jean-Claude Ellena, 2006)
    Green Irish Tweed (Probably Oliver Creed / Pierre Bourdon, 1985)
    Eau de Rochas Pour Homme (Gilles Romey, 1993)
    Bleu de Chanel EDP (Jaques Polge, 2014)
    YSL Jazz (vtg) (Jean-Franois Latty, 1988)
    Currently wearing: Macassar by Rochas

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Sorry to hear about your problems Georgio.
    I buy a lot of stuff on ebay. Until now most of the problems I have had were concerning the miniature bottles. I'm not into collecting mini's, but sometimes it's a good way.(sometimes also the only way) to sample the really rare old stuff. I would say that approximately 80% of the minis I bought were empty flacons filled with either pure alcohol, a different "cheap" perfume or vodka. It was very disheartening and some, such as Patou Pour Homme Sikkim etc, were over €30 each. In the case of Patou Pour Homme I bought 4 from different sellers. All were filled with fake juice. I have learned my lesson now and steer clear of minis, but over the years I probably spent about €200 on fake juice.

- - - Updated - - -

.....and while we're on the subject of ebay, please can somebody answer this question.....
    I am baffled at the fact there is no close, "big" rival/competitor to ebay. Why is this ???.......ebay is ovbiously extremely successful ~ so why hasn't anyone copied the ebay model ? I mean it happens with cheap airlines.....
    and for that matter why isn't there a rival for paypal, (GANGSTERS)! ?
    You raise a good point about competitors. If Ebay had competition, it would clean up its act pretty quickly, or go out of business.

In the early '90s, I absolutely loved Ebay. It was basically a "mom and pop" style marketplace, with auction items. I remember logging in constantly to get updates on my auctions, and see if I needed to bump up the price. And then I'd log in again when each auction was ending to see if there were last minute buying frenzies. Fun times.

But those days are over. Ebay made a decision to move away from that into the "buy it now" world. Now almost all my purchases are buy it now items, paid by paypal immediately. Not nearly as much fun. And because of its change in paradigm, the other auction sites that popped up aren't even viewed as its competition now. I read an article recently about Ebay, and you know who were identified as its direct competitors? Overstock.com and Amazon. That says a lot.

Google recently started a paypal competitor, and there's some talk it will succeed; but if you use Ebay you're locked into paypal for now, and it isn't regulated like a bank.

Again, my experiences have been nearly all good, but I know the horror stories. All it takes is one to sour somebody on Ebay for life.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Basenotes Member

I've had much more problems as an eBay seller than a buyer. A ridiculously high amount of buyers have claimed that fragrances haven't been shipped to them, not all of the claims I believe are genuine.

Despite providing tracking information and being in contact with the buyers throughout the entire process I receive irrationally rude messages making false accusations that I have stole money from them despite having full paypal protection.

Most of the times I can claim it back from Royal Mail, but there have been times where RM have said that they have shipped the fragrance and paypal automatically give the buyer their money back leaving me out of pocket and fragrance.