Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances you can't seem to decide on?

I'm currently having a real dilemma over a sample of Tom Ford Neroli Portofino. Some days it can smell like the freshest, most vibrant and glistening summer's day in the most beautiful part of Europe. Other days, however, it can smell like something used to clean the bathroom sink. Considering it's such a costly investment, these thoughts really don't help with trying to get to know a fragrance.

With that said, what fragrances are you really torn over? Are there any that you just can't seem to pin down?

Default Re: Fragrances you can't seem to decide on?

I'll try to start replying.

Santos de Cartier- spicy, powerhouse, classically elegant but still, as much as I would enjoy this scent, there seems a slight background turbulence about it, making it occasionally smell too dry, too woody or even a bit too smoky for my nose
    Joop! Homme - at times, seemingly almost vile to my nose, yet other times surprisingly rich, luxurious and olfactory fulfilling, maybe a tad too sweet, but by no means lacking a certain complexity, creativity and even strange beauty
    Further popular gourmands, like One Million and Le Male- I seem to enjoy them even if I realize that they are obviously generic and thus not the most uncommon, creative etc.
    Braukmann Classic by Hildegrad Braukmann- the notes of this scent are sheer joy, yet their longevity always lets me down
    G Man by Gainsboro- one of the darkest, almost stuffy, shamelessly powerhouse scents, however, not matter how strong and even overpowering this scent is, even its most off-putting notes strangely attract me

At the moment Fahrenheit Absolute. I do like it, it smells quite unique, but sometimes it seems too murky and sweet. Also the girlfriend, who I tend to consult in such indecisive moments, had only very bad things to say about it (cheap, don't wear it near me, sell it)

Kiehl's Original Musk is another one. The top notes...sometimes I enjoy them, other times they're just a bit wrong. Surprisingly the gf seemed to like this one, just not on me (it's too feminine) lol.

Think the Kiehl's has survived the weeding out for now, not sure about the Absolute yet.

I would go with Noir De Noir. Somedays it's good to go, and other days it's seems to feminine.

Basenotes Member

Mine would be Marc Jacobs Bang. I think its the over the overwhelming scent of peppercorn.
    Smelling Good on a Budget!

Personally am never torn over any fragrance. If I want it in my collection, it is bought and it becomes an addition. No second thoughts. No mixed feelings.

I like Tom Ford Noir...but most around me do not. That makes it very impractical.
    I also enjoy Individuel from Mont Blanc - but it's not easy to wear. I cant figure out a place for it.
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver

I am torn on a few myself.

Mostly these:
    Oud Shamash
    Pure Malt
    Ambre Narguile

Some days, I really like them. Some days I really don't. Not so much about my mood or the season... Not really sure why they sometimes just smell different to me than other times.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cosgrove View Post

With that said, what fragrances are you really torn over? Are there any that you just can't seem to pin down?
    In my own experience, given enough time and enough testing I almost always come to a consistent opinion on a fragrance.
    Sometimes it seems helpful to just leave off trying something for a while and going back to it later. And my personal most helpful testing technique is to test a fragrance against something similar you really like at the same time. Sometimes testing unsimilars helps me too. There's not too much stuff I'm conflicted about. Unfortunately I can generally find something NOT to like about most fragrances.

Torn on Tom Fords Grey Vetiver. Not sure if it projects enough. Love the scent.
    Torn on Guerlains Vetiver (current formulation). Great performance...not sure if it smells dated.

Obviously I want to add a vetiver to my arsenal.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    In my own experience, given enough time and enough testing I almost always come to a consistent opinion on a fragrance.
    Sometimes it seems helpful to just leave off trying something for a while and going back to it later. And my personal most helpful testing technique is to test a fragrance against something similar you really like at the same time. Sometimes testing unsimilars helps me too. There's not too much stuff I'm conflicted about. Unfortunately I can generally find something NOT to like about most fragrances.

Excellent advice.

I'm currently torn over lavender palm, but I'm starting to think I wouldn't wear a whole bottle. More testing is needed but I'm ready to test other houses.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Encre Noire. I like it but I don't. Something sharp in it is harsh on my nose but the smell is pretty good. I keep contemplating swapping or trading it off but I wanna keep it.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    At the moment Fahrenheit Absolute. I do like it, it smells quite unique, but sometimes it seems too murky and sweet. Also the girlfriend, who I tend to consult in such indecisive moments, had only very bad things to say about it (cheap, don't wear it near me, sell it)
    My gf thought FA smelled like armpits. =\

For me it sometimes depends upon the weather, while other times it depends upon whether my sensitivity is low or high (sometimes to just a certain note). At a certain point I often decide that I just don't want to give a scent any more chances, but for some I think there is promise so I give them extra chances. There's really no good rule of thumb, at least for me.

For me it sometimes depends upon the weather, while other times it depends upon whether my sensitivity is low or high (sometimes to just a certain note). At a certain point I often decide that I just don't want to give a scent any more chances, but for some I think there is promise so I give them extra chances. There's really no good rule of thumb, at least for me.

TdH

La Fumee Arabie & Le Pomplemousse, both coincidentally by Miller Harris.

In the end the boutique was a major force in forming my decision. They were on sale for a limited time and got retracted. lol
    I didn't get to buy them. lol

for swap/sale:

I have issues with "Barber Shop" fragrances, but I am slowly starting to see the light thanks to Azzaro pour Homme.

For me its Creed Silver Mountain Water...cant find it anywhere to test...cant decide to buy it blind either!
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

Hdp Marquis de Sade and MFK Absolue Pour Le Soir - my fiance does not seem to like the "stank" fragrances, which I think taints my view of them. But the deepness and complexity draws me in somewhat and I want to like them as I think they will be rewarding. More (carefully applied) testing is required...
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Quote Originally Posted by colognejunkie2000 View Post
    Encre Noire. I like it but I don't. Something sharp in it is harsh on my nose but the smell is pretty good. I keep contemplating swapping or trading it off but I wanna keep it.
    Try Sycomore by Chanel—I always think of it as Encre Noir perfected.

At the moment I am going back and forth on Equipage, 31 Rue Cambon and 28 La Pausa.

Quote Originally Posted by andregooren View Post
    Try Sycomore by Chanel—I always think of it as Encre Noir perfected.
    I do like Encre Noire, but Sycomore takes it to the next level. It's so mysteriously luxurious. Top of my wishlist for a while now.

Like others, I'm pretty decisive. I very much lean toward having fewer bottles than more from both a cost and enjoyment perspective. If you are torn, why not get a decant or a split? If you decide you want it, you can always invest in a full bottle later, and if you don't, you gave it a cost-effective test run with no regrets.
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

Ambre Sultan

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    I would go with Noir De Noir. Somedays it's good to go, and other days it's seems to feminine.
    Exactly the same for me. Still nursing a decant as I can't make my mind up on it.

I guess the one right now I am most on the fence about is Bvlgari Black. I like the scent OK, though I just get the tire rubber note, and little to no vanilla. Wife likes it. The longevity doesn't seem up to what I look for in a frag. I want to like it.
    I've given it quite a few tries, but may give it another one or two, and maybe go heavier with the sprayer, before I give up on it.

Otherwise, after a few wearings, if a frag ain't working for me (either scent or longevity) it's destined to go bye-bye.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----