Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Florence, what should I get?

Ok, there is a dearth of fragrance shops here but I would like a reminder of my few days here. I have been to farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella and wasn't particularly impressed. Any suggestions?
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Default Re: Florence, what should I get?

Try Lorenzo Villoresi or I Profumi di Firenze - both houses are based in Florence...

Quote Originally Posted by Dane77 View Post
    Try Lorenzo Villoresi or I Profumi di Firenze - both houses are based in Florence...
    This.

Fantastic! I haven't been to Florence, but perhaps this review of a scent adventure in that city will help.

Hope you report back and tell us how it went!
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

If you don't like the perfumes, at SMN you can buy stuff like the great Carta d'Armenia (benzoin perfumed strips of paper), bath oils (eg melograno), or similar body products. You can also stop by the equally characteristic farmacia Santissima Annunziata
    http://www.farmaciassannunziata1561.it/
    just south of the said square. Their scents are heavier than the more sedate SMN, though more expensive. The patchouli indonesiano is a blast. They also sell great creams - I like their face and their hand creams for men, they smell very nice.

But probably my best recommendation is to stop at L'O profumo
    http://www.loprofumo.com/
    a 15min walk west of duomo (there are some very characteristic restaurants nearby, by the way, like la pentola dell'oro). It's a very good niche store, but the lady also prepares perfumes herself. I especially like her Kalos, which is based on (true) ambergris. This year's new offers were two realistic chocolate scents - which are excellent if you like to wear said material (I don't).

cacio

Let us know what you picked up when you finish making your purchases.

Basenotes Plus

Agreed with the recommendations. The last time I was there I picked up an SMN, a Villoresi and a couple of I Profumo di Firenze. Florence is a beautiful city.

If you weren't too keen on SMN, I think you won't be keen on Lorenzo Villoresi either.

- - - Updated - - -

Needless to say though, enjoy Firenze. It's magical.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

a 15min walk west of duomo (there are some very characteristic restaurants nearby, by the way, like la pentola dell'oro). It's a very good niche store, but the lady also prepares perfumes herself. I especially like her Kalos, which is based on (true) ambergris. This year's new offers were two realistic chocolate scents - which are excellent if you like to wear said material (I don't).

cacio
    This is the best suggestion one can give about fragrance shopping in florence...

For other options, check this (there's a comprehensive list of shops):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/198741-Florence-Italy

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Will have to try that line next time I'm in Italia.

There was a lovely little perfumery called Mario's - cannot remember the address but was on the way into Piazza della Republica - and love the Laboratorio Olfattivo range. Iris from Odori - Profumo di Firenze would be a lovely way to remember Florence for the florentine iris - mind you, nobody has heard of this when I was last there and the only thing anyone knows is Santa Maria Novella - am not a fan unfortunately but what a building it is housed in, absolutely breathtaking! If you have a chance, go to Siena for the day - it is every bit as stunnning as the picture indicate.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks all! Well it hasn't all gone to plan. Yesterday I set off to try some of your suggestions. Within an hour I started to feel really ill so headed back to my hotel. 22 hours later I've just managed to crawl out of my sickbed for a much needed hot shower and shave. I feel more or less human again but it's Sunday now and most places are closed. I fly back to the UK tomorrow morning so it looks like I've struck out.
    It wasn't a total disaster though, before I felt bad I managed to pick up Costume National Scent Intense, Lutens Ambre Sultan and Villoresi's Piper Nigrum. Thanks again everyone, I am definitely returning to this beautiful city in the not too distant future!!!
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?