Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kouros -- Not Vintage -- Worth pulling the pin on?

Hey BNers, based on what I have read on here, I really want to blind buy Kouros. I don't care if I like it or not. That is irrelevant. All I care about is whether the current formulation will be okay relative to the vintage juice. I appreciate that there will be a difference, and that it almost certainly won't be a positive one. But it's a matter of degree. I can get the current formulation on Frangrancenet.com right now, inexpensively and hassle free. If it is 80% of what the vintage juice is, I will pull the pin. If, on the other hand, it is but a neutered shell of its once mighty self, or if it barely resembles the vintage juice, I will look around more.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mtnbkr123; 22nd February 2013 at 10:43 PM.

Default Re: Kouros -- Not Vintage -- Does it resemble the Vintage juice?

If I were you I'd go ahead and get what's out there now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    If I were you I'd go ahead and get what's out there now.
    Thanks hednic. Assuming both are out there, are you suggesting that I pull the pin on the current formulation and be spared of the BS in tracking down vintage?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Kouros -- Not Vintage -- Worth pulling the pin on?

The 2013 Kouros is more powder and clean smelling. Modern Kouros lacks the dirty top notes from the vintage Kouros.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbkr123 View Post
    Thanks hednic. Assuming both are out there, are you suggesting that I pull the pin on the current formulation and be spared of the BS in tracking down vintage?
    Yes IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that the current has still enough animalics to give an idea of what Kouros is about. However, based on what I hear from other BNers, I suspect that the new synthetic animalic notes are perceived differently by different people, with some being completely anosmic. If you are one of them, Kouros will smell like a clean, almost soapy fougere-more like a powdery Rive Gauche for men than the monster it's supposed to be.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Just as I thought. I want Kouros for its skank. Apparently that is precisely what the current formulation lacks.

I'd really appreciate it if you could throw out some skank alternatives. I just don't want to get into a mad worldwide search for anything, nor do I want to spend a crapload of money on a blind buy. I know -- buy samples.

I'm going to check out Anteus again on my way home tonight. And maybe I'll order the current Kouros. It's cheap. Whatever. I just hate having bottles around I don't like, no matter how cheap. Like my Fresco *pick, pick*

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Just as I thought. I want Kouros for its skank. Apparently that is precisely what the current formulation lacks.

I'd really appreciate it if you could throw out some skank alternatives. I just don't want to get into a mad worldwide search for anything, nor do I want to spend a crapload of money on a blind buy. I know -- buy samples.

I'm going to check out Anteus again on my way home tonight. And maybe I'll order the current Kouros. It's cheap. Whatever. I just hate having bottles around I don't like, no matter how cheap. Like my Fresco *pick, pick*
    The first time I tried Kouros it was all skank. It smelled awful. I washed my arms, and I could not get the smell of skank off. I wish I knew back then what I know now. I would have purchased a case!

The new Kouros doesn't have civet. That is where much of the dirty smell comes from in vintage Kouros.

The new Kouros doesn't have the same levels of oakmoss. Oakmoss is a banned substance, and Kouros uses a synthetic now, and much less of it. This affects the drydown. 2013 changed oakmoss levels allowed again, lowering the amount, so there will be another reformulation.

The new Kouros doesn't have very much honey in the drydown.

The new Kouros is a skin scent. It doesn't project. If you look at the packaging for Kouros, you will find Kouros from just 2 years ago had parfum as the #2 ingredient. Modern Kouros has parfum as the #3 ingredient. Modern Kouros is much weaker and doesn't last as long on the skin.

I may buy Houros, the Kouros knock off to see if they are close to the vintage scent. Has anyone tried Houros? Does it have skank in a bottle?
    Vintage Kouros rocks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smellgood4u View Post
    The first time I tried Kouros it was all skank. It smelled awful. I washed my arms, and I could not get the smell of skank off. I wish I knew back then what I know now. I would have purchased a case!

The new Kouros doesn't have civet. That is where much of the dirty smell comes from in vintage Kouros.

The new Kouros doesn't have the same levels of oakmoss. Oakmoss is a banned substance, and Kouros uses a synthetic now, and much less of it. This affects the drydown. 2013 changed oakmoss levels allowed again, lowering the amount, so there will be another reformulation.

The new Kouros doesn't have very much honey in the drydown.

The new Kouros is a skin scent. It doesn't project. If you look at the packaging for Kouros, you will find Kouros from just 2 years ago had parfum as the #2 ingredient. Modern Kouros has parfum as the #3 ingredient. Modern Kouros is much weaker and doesn't last as long on the skin.

I may buy Houros, the Kouros knock off to see if they are close to the vintage scent. Has anyone tried Houros? Does it have skank in a bottle?
    So sad. Thank you for the very informative response.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a personal choice.

I have written a side-by-side comparison (from a sample of the current reformulation that has no chrome on the shoulders or baseplate) here on Basenotes - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249978-Vintage-Kouros. It is post #52 at the bottom.

The bottom line - if you know and want Vintage Kouros, the new one will not satisfy you. L'Oreal has destroyed what YSL's masterpiece by Pierre Bourdon once was...

And, one point to clarify - the 'dirty', animalic notes are in the base of Kouros and radiate throughout the entire blend (so they show themselves early and reveal their true depth in the dry down)...

Good luck in your search.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by smellgood4u View Post
    The 2013 Kouros is more powder and clean smelling. Modern Kouros lacks the dirty top notes from the vintage Kouros.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

I recently did a comparison between oldest formula and newer one (with chrome on shoulders). I haven't tried newest. These are very similar but there are some notable differences. The oldest has three distinct facets, vanilla/honey, animalic, and "clean" smoke/musk. The other notes are in the "background." The newer one is more blended together, and seems to have a bit more honey. It's closer to Sung Homme than the oldest, with more pronounced patchouli. I prefer the oldest formulation. Considering the prices, i would have patience, pay a few dollars more, and get vintage.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i have always been intrigued by Kouros because of the BN reviews, but my experience with it is bad. Perhaps i never had the good fortune to try the old formulation.

I tested one last month, and my first thoughts were: Repulsive.
    Next, the ladies opinion (i asked 2 separately) both didnt like it. After a long day, the smell is still very strong. After a bath, its still there. 8 hours later, it was bearable but to me, i would not buy it.

So, i do not suggest you blind buy this.

Since we are at it, the ladies liked Platinum Egoiste, did not like Egoiste. Top votes both went for Bulgari Pour Homme.
    One is 37 years old, the other 21. Personally i liked the Egoiste, try it.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

I find the current formulation still pretty darned good.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aqcmme View Post
    i have always been intrigued by Kouros because of the BN reviews, but my experience with it is bad. Perhaps i never had the good fortune to try the old formulation.

I tested one last month, and my first thoughts were: Repulsive.
    Next, the ladies opinion (i asked 2 separately) both didnt like it. After a long day, the smell is still very strong. After a bath, its still there. 8 hours later, it was bearable but to me, i would not buy it.

So, i do not suggest you blind buy this.

Since we are at it, the ladies liked Platinum Egoiste, did not like Egoiste. Top votes both went for Bulgari Pour Homme.
    One is 37 years old, the other 21. Personally i liked the Egoiste, try it.
    LOL, this is the vintage juice I am looking for. The new stuff doesn't last more than 5 hours.

Can you PM me where you purchased Kouros from?
    Vintage Kouros rocks

I would purchase the reformulated also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    I would purchase the reformulated also.
    Thanks. I did today. I blind bought Kouros, Pure Malt and Yatagan. Woot! Woot!

Post Thanks / Like

any version of Kouros is good, it's a love-or-hate scent
    congrats on your purchase of yatagan, one of the great

AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not familiar with the phrase, "pull the pin on". Do you mean to toss a grenade at the bottle to spread the aroma as wide as possible?

An IED with vintage Kouros? Scary indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    I'm not familiar with the phrase, "pull the pin on". Do you mean to toss a grenade at the bottle to spread the aroma as wide as possible?

An IED with vintage Kouros? Scary indeed.
    Sorry. I meant "worth purchasing".

Good for you! Enjoy!