Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Vetiver (current formulation)

What you guys take on this stuff? Im referring to the current formulation with the bottle similar to Habit Rouge. I have sampled it once and recall the longevity was really good and the projection was good as well. I wasnt sure if it was kind of dated giving an old man vibe??? How do you feel about and maybe compare it to a more modern Grey Vetiver?

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Guerlain Vetiver (current formulation)

Its significantly less tobacco and more polished with a crisper feel. That said, it has decent longevity, not too much sillage as it wears close to the skin, and is overall kind of weak compared to the vintage. In a way, its lost that earthy/mineral vibe and seems a tad more synthetic. I find the current formulation more wearable because I thought the tobacco note wrecked the vintage and made it unbearable for me. For some reason, I'm not uplifted when wearing this as that old school machismo lurks in the distance. As far as vetivers go, there are others I prefer more.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Not bad. But the original is better IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Its significantly less tobacco and more polished with a crisper feel. That said, it has decent longevity, not too much sillage as it wears close to the skin, and is overall kind of weak compared to the vintage. In a way, its lost that earthy/mineral vibe and seems a tad more synthetic. I find the current formulation more wearable because I thought the tobacco note wrecked the vintage and made it unbearable for me. For some reason, I'm not uplifted when wearing this as that old school machismo lurks in the distance. As far as vetivers go, there are others I prefer more.
    What other vetivers do you prefer. Preferably one that easy accesible and can be tested

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by catlettsl View Post
    What you guys take on this stuff?
    I personally like it.

The Guerlain is still good. Grey vetiver is perhaps drier and more modern/synthetic in feel, hard to choose between the two. My favorite vetivers unfortunately are expensive and/or in niche, especially $$$ Vetiver extraordinaire (freshest) or Chanel Sycomore (woodier). Depending on where you live, an excellent one not too hard to find could be Goutal Vetiver (here in the US Goutal is carried by some dept stores like Nordstrom), which is rootier than the others.

cacio

Tried it three days ago. Seemed very green and earthy for the first 15 minutes then...WHAM...star anise. I smelled an earthy licorice scent for the rest of the duration...and I hate licorice...

Interesting. For me, the current Guerlain Vetiver is very tenacious -- lasts easily a full day -- and not quiet. I wouldn't say it's a monster, but it's quite present. I like its warmth, which I think comes from the tobacco which is certainly still there (compared to the barer vetiver presentations of Sycomore or Vetiver Extraordinaire, both of which I own and much enjoy). Unfortunately, the Guerlain has a keening, sharp, or shrill note, which for me is usually caused by white musk, which I find irritating. I don't get this from other vetivers. Anyone else have this experience?

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I prefer the newest edition with its tuned-down tobacco. The tobacco in the older editions was a bit unbearable for me.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I like it just the same.

I find the current to be a bit stronger in the Vetiver facet, but crisper (I'm fairly certain it's based around South American Vetiver) n denser.

Concur with the above, tobacco note materially reduced.

for swap/sale:

I used to wear it back before the vetiver craze (always liked green scents), but there are so many vetivers and other greens out there now I think it's middle-of-the-pack at best. I much prefer Bois d'Orage (on the expensive side) and Grey Vetiver (on the cheap side) for example.

Far too synthetic in comparision to me.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I prefer the newest edition with its tuned-down tobacco. The tobacco in the older editions was a bit unbearable for me.
    Me too. I found the previous formulation in the frosted-ribbed bottle too out of balance.
    Too much sharp citrus on the top followed by an over-load of ashy tobacco

I love the current version so much more than the ribbed bottle one. As others have said, I found the tobacco unbalanced. The new version has just enough citrus & soap to lift the top as the vetiver comes in. 4 sprays lasts me 10+ hours.

Wearing a sample of Guerlain Vetiver today for a fresh spring vibe. Starts off with an old damp basement scent that fortunately fades quickly. Wonder what ingredient causes it. After a minute or so i get a wonderful blast of citrus and vetiver blend. Now its has been 8 hours since application and the vetiver is still radiating nicely. Also thought i smelled oak moss. The wife used words green and fresh to describe it.

The new version has more citrus on top and less tobacco in the middle. I prefer the older, cooler, smoother version. But I have to admit that both are very good.