Code of Conduct

Thread: Scammed on eBay

Default Scammed on eBay

I'm a bit frustrated as I type this up.

I sold two 30ml atomizers of Creed Pure White to one buyer on ebay. Shipped them out the same day he paid and even added a little extras. Well, the second he receives his package he states that one of the atomizers is half full because it leaked on route and the other bottle smells nothing like the Creed Pure White he already has. He wants a full refund. I told him his game to scam me is too obvious and I will not issue him a refund. He files a dispute as "item not as described". Within two hours eBay favors the seller, so much for investigating.

I already know he dumped out the Pure White and will just ship me whatever. Is there anything I can do? Can I file a reserves claim?

I'm done with eBay!

Default Re: Scammed on eBay

Thats terrible.

I know there are a few seasoned eBay users on here. I think 30 Roses is one of them.

Hopefully they'll chime in suggestions.

Meanwhile, be prepared to absorb the impact and move on.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats terrible.

I know there are a few seasoned eBay users on here. I think 30 Roses is one of them.

Hopefully they'll chime in suggestions.

Meanwhile, be prepared to absorb the impact and move on.

for swap/sale:

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ben323 View Post
    I'm a bit frustrated as I type this up.

I sold two 30ml atomizers of Creed Pure White to one buyer on ebay. Shipped them out the same day he paid and even added a little extras. Well, the second he receives his package he states that one of the atomizers is half full because it leaked on route and the other bottle smells nothing like the Creed Pure White he already has. He wants a full refund. I told him his game to scam me is too obvious and I will not issue him a refund. He files a dispute as "item not as described". Within two hours eBay favors the seller, so much for investigating.

I already know he dumped out the Pure White and will just ship me whatever. Is there anything I can do? Can I file a reserves claim?

I'm done with eBay!
    Let's look at this from the point of view of what may have happened. Perhaps instead of a scammer, you just had a buyer who is nervous and jumped to conclusions.

If you sent the package by air, it is possible that the change in air pressure caused leakage. It happens. The bottle is opaque, right? So the buyer may have said "half" because didn't know how much leaked out, but didn't want to pay that much for a bottle that wasn't completely full. I think most of us would be unhappy with a bottle that had leaked, especially if we couldn't see how much was missing. Certainly a bottle that isn't full is "Significantly Not as Described"-- since you obviously didn't advertise a leaking bottle!

Edited to add: Contacting you as soon as he got the items was the correct thing to do.

I also would not assume that he is going to send you back something different than what you sent him. Again, if he is just an unhappy or nervous buyer, you will probably get back the Creed bottles you shipped to him.

Is Pure White one of the fragrances that smell different from batch to batch, as some Creeds notoriously do? It's fairly common for people to come on here and say their fragrance doesn't smell right and they thought they got a fake, and BNers look at their photos and reassure them that the bottle is genuine...again, a nervous buyer could account for this claim.

On eBay there is no such thing as "no returns." IMO when a buyer is dissatisfied, the best thing to do is tell them to return the item for a refund-- certainly not to accuse them of scamming you, which will only force them to file a dispute in order to get their refund. One way or the other, you will be obliged to refund, so it's better to do it graciously.

Selling on eBay is not for everyone. I don't mean that unkindly; selling has its risks and can be stressful.

I hope you will come back and tell us whether the buyer returned the correct items to you. If he sent you something else entirely-- something that is obviously different, like a package full of rocks-- then you can file a police report. But I doubt this is what will happen.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 23rd February 2013 at 11:51 AM.

Dcampbell

I had someone ask me for a refund for a leaky bottle, wasn't as big of a loss as yours but I ate it. I sent it priority, and lesson learned I only ship ground now for EVERYTHING. Ebay is very pro buyer and in my opinion really makes things difficult for the seller, and don't get me started on the fees to sell on their site and then the fees to use Paypal which by the way is an ebay company!

So, eBay ended up siding with the buyer - big surprise!

I had to issue a refund (actually Paypal funds are at negative because I already withdrew the funds). The buyer sent back the atomizers - EMPTY!

30 Roses is cute for giving the buyer the benefit of a doubt, but the buyer was transparent as soon as he contacted me saying there was a problem with both atomizers, not just one. He was planning on scamming me from the start.

I'm filing a counter-dispute on the seller. I'm not just going to roll-over and take it..no way is the buyer getting away with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben323 View Post
    I'm filing a counter-dispute on the seller. I'm not just going to roll-over and take it..no way is the buyer getting away with this.
    Leave him bad feedback (but word it wisely, or he'll beat you over the head with it once again) and carry on. It really sucks but chances of winning this are minimal. Chances of prolonging your misery and increasing your frustration are much higher. The bad feedback has to suffice and the lost money has bought you a valueable lesson.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

So now it's time for the next steps:

1. File a police report immediately (in the buyer's city.)

2. Call eBay, give them the police report number, and ask for the money to be refunded to you. (Even though you withdrew the money, PayPal will take it back from you the next time you get paid for something-- or the money will be added onto your next bill the next time you buy something.)
    You will probably not prevail without having filed the report with police first.

3. Wait on leaving feedback. The system doesn't allow you to leave a negative, and if you leave a negatively worded positive, it is grounds for removal by eBay. Any feedback that mentions a dispute is also subject to removal.
    However, if he leaves you feedback, you can reply to it-- but I would wait on that until this is resolved as it will carry more weight then.

You may also wish to post on the Trust and Safety forum on eBay:
    http://forums.ebay.com/db2/forum/Trust-Safety-Safe/107

I posted for a long time on eBay boards (and still read them) and can tell you that that is the best eBay forum on which to get advice for this.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 7th March 2013 at 11:14 AM.