Code of Conduct

Default Recommend me a Tom Ford fragrance

I'm really expanding my fragrance collection now, just added Aventus (amazing, unequaled) and A&F Fierce (love it, stronger Mont Blanc Legend) but I like the sound of Tom Fords line of fragrances.

I work in an open floor plan office and want to stand out but not in a bad way, Aventus is too good to waste and I have about 20 other frags I now rotate. I usually stick to TdH, D&G One/sport, Chanel Allure Homme/sport and MB Legend.

Which one is it then? I like the sound of grey vetiver, smooth and masculine but is it a good office frag?

Thanks.

Default Re: Recommend me a Tom Ford fragrance

Grey Vetiver is one of the best office fragrances. Subtle enough for the office but not at all stuffy and develops really nicely.

Is it long lasting? I don't want to re-apply during the day.

D&G frags are terrible for longevity on me, I get 4 hours absolute max, no matter how much I put on. Allure is quite good but best so far have been TdH and Legend. I expect Fierce will be a good laser too, just have to hold off on the trigger with that one!

I usually get about 6-8 hours from GV. The One is known to have poor longevity.

Every Tom Ford private blend has a bit of an edge to it. Not exactly the safest purchase in the world. The most popular is Tobacco Vanille, and it's a very pleasant scent perfect for upscale occasions. Tuscan Leather is amazing- an opening of sweetness and leather treatment oils, and probably my favorite Tom Ford. Noir de Noir is rose and chocolate, and also well liked- I just find it a bit cloying. Those 3 are good to start with.

I'm actually a big fan of Tom Ford's Azure Lime, though granted, it's probably the most boring and conventional of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieNose View Post
    I'm really expanding my fragrance collection now, just added Aventus (amazing, unequaled) .
    Glad you have positive feelings for this. It is amazing.

You seem to like clean and fresh smelling stuff for the office. I also recommend Grey vetiver then.

The private blend has many scents, but they are even more expensive than Creeds, plus, in general, they tend to be warmer/heavier, with the exception of Azure Lime and Neroli portofino, which are fresh, but don't last too long.

cacio

I can't believe how good it is. I tried it before I started getting into fragrances and couldn't justify the price. Mainly because by then I hadn't tested enough others to realise just how good it is. I managed to get 40ml in a split which cost me less than most designer frags 50ml.

If you're wanting a good TF for the office, I think Grey Vetiver would be hard to beat. As has been suggested, so many Tom Ford's are meant to get you noticed, so that kind of automatically excludes a lot of his fragrances for office wear.

Noir de Noir is an inoffensive possibility for the office. Just make sure you go very lightly on the trigger. This one gives you beautifully light chocolate/vanilla notes upon dry down, and light is what you want for the office.
    Last edited by RedRaider430; 28th February 2013 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Noir de Noir is an inoffensive possibility for the office. Just make sure you go very lightly on the trigger. This one give you beautifully light chocolate/vanilla notes upon dry down, and light is what you want for the office.
    This

I'm really expanding my fragrance collection now, just added Aventus (amazing, unequaled) and A&F Fierce (love it, stronger Mont Blanc Legend) but I like the sound of Tom Fords line of fragrances.

I work in an open floor plan office and want to stand out but not in a bad way, Aventus is too good to waste and I have about 20 other frags I now rotate. I usually stick to TdH, D&G One/sport, Chanel Allure Homme/sport and MB Legend.

Which one is it then? I like the sound of grey vetiver, smooth and masculine but is it a good office frag?

Thanks.
    If Aventus is too good to waste, you will have Tom Ford locked up in a safe! Tom Ford private line is by far much better than anything Creed makes. Tobacco Vanille would be my recommendatin.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

Neroli Portifino

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Neroli Portifino
    Bingo.

Tobacco Vanille

But for an office setting, spend a lot less money and get Gucci Pour Homme II.
    TOP PICKS
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille Creed Silver Mountain Water Creed Millesime Imperial
    Gucci Pour Homme II YSL La Nuit de L'homme Versace The Dreamer
    Burberry London YSL L'homme L'occitane Eau Des Baux

It really depends on what you are looking for and how your nose reacts to things. Since you mentioned office scents, Grey Vetiver could be a good one, but to me the lemon note reminds me of Pledge or other cleaners, and I generally prefer Original Vetiver from Creed (not a Creed snob).

As for safe for work private blends, I own and enjoy Neroli Portofino. Definitely offers a nice take on neroli, but I am sure there are other worthy ones out there from other lines (Castile comes to mind).

The majority of TF will radiate more than you appear to be comfortable with, and are more expensive.

Try Penhaligon's and L'Artisan Parfumeur.

for swap/sale:

The only Tom Ford I've found to be bottle worthy was Tuscan Leather. It's a masterpiece and I can forgive the rest of the line because of it's awesomeness.

+1 Grey Vetiver

Overcome By Fumes

I actually like Noir better than Noir de Noir. Grey Vetiver is also cheap enough compared to the private line, and bland enough to not freak out anyone in the office. For that money though, you could still find plenty of bland scents to wear to work that would not have the Ford label. You can't smell the label.

Thanks everyone, all the scents mentioned go on a big list to be tested when I go on a scent splurge in a few weeks.

I just need to buy a TF fragrance though, don't know why, I just do.

I've only tried Tuscan Leather and was impressed by it's leathery suedeness with a hit of raspberries. It was very linear, and I felt not worth the money. However, if someone gave it to me, I would not be disappointed.

If you were thinking about something different, give Black Orchid a try. I was really swept away by its plummy florals and a sandalwood base. You might like it.

Basenotes Member

TV or Vetiver imo

I like the sound of Tom Fords line of fragrances.
    Guys, I really like the smell of punk rock, can you recommend me an album?

CologneFan85

Any off the house BUT Tom Ford By Tom Ford...Too weak

For the office, I'd recommend Grey Vetiver or Neroli Portofino if you absolutely have to stick with Tom Ford.

Tom Ford's Private Blends are all worth taking a look at. It will probably take a couple wearings to decide your opinion on them. Complex, long lasting, and awesome.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I recommend none from their designer line.

I recommend Tobacco Vanille from their exclusive Private Blend line.

Basenotes Member

Tested TV for the first time today, big letdown...or maybe just not my cup of tea

I wear Italian Cypress to the office a good bit and it goes down well. Very pleasing scent in a 80's powerhouse style but more modern twist, read Polo green for the deci's... Not too loud, but with goof longevity.

Green with resin warmth that appears during progression, nice...

IMO Italian Cypress is the best TF Private Blend for an Office setting (Neroli Portofino & Azur Lime would be good too), although doesn't stop me wearing Tobacco Vanille and Amber Absolute to the office also, makes me happy in the winter months...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Even though it doesn't get a lot of love TF-Lavender Palm is a good scent for officewear. And Neroli Portofino
    What do you call people that are afraid of Santa Claus?

Claustrophobic

Basenotes Plus

Extreme