Code of Conduct

Default My first buy in a long time --> Guerlain L'instant De Guerlain Extreme blind buy

I heard so much great thing about this one...and there is no negative review here on basenotes... and many reviewer on youtube gives this one a perfect 10... I had to have this one...this is a blind buy...

Last edited by change1; 11th September 2011 at 07:59 PM.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: My first buy in a long time --> Guerlain L'instant De Guerlain Extreme blind buy

You shouldn't be disappointed.

And if you are, you can probably sell it off for more than you paid for it. Very hard to find in the U.S.and sufficiently hyped to creat a high demand.

You'll probably get 50 PM's asking where you bought it.

Default Re: My first buy in a long time --> Guerlain L'instant De Guerlain Extreme blind buy

You got a good one! Enjoy!

Its good, really interesting on the skin. I will for sure rock this when I'm a bit older. One of the most transforming scents I have ever worn, I swear its everything in one, Citrus, Woods, Gormand.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

A fantastic fragrance that will not disappoint, imo it does that cocoa vanille combo better than Dior Homme intense.

Congratulations. It's fine stuff. As noted above, it will be very easy to sell or trade if you don't like it. A very safe blind buy.

I bought one blind today. Sounds really a special scent.

Wearing it today...subtle, but very nice

It's a fantastic masculine gourmand. Great choice!

Nice choice, beautiful fragance!

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    I heard so much great thing about this one...and there is no negative review here on basenotes... and many reviewer on youtube gives this one a perfect 10... I had to have this one...this is a blind buy...
    If you don't like it, consider yourself a weirdo.

...Just kidding, but if you don't like it you can certainly find some buyers.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Great scent. I bought mine blind also and I have never regreted it.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

I also bought 2 bottles blind cause I got lucky on strawberrynet a few weeks ago, great stuff!

Can't wait til my bottle arrive this week...hopefully I'll get it before the weekend... anyone know if this one smells anything like A*men?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

smells nothing like A*Men imo. I own and love it L'Instant Extreme. I enjoyed it on first sniff, but some report it takes a few wearings to get used to it, fyi.

Basenotes Member

One of my favorite fragrances! Absolutely divine scent!
    Enjoy

It's nice, but my bottle is rarely used. I much prefer Dior Homme Intense.

Don't have unreasonable expectations. Frags get hyped on this forum, you really need to let your nose be the judge.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    It's nice, but my bottle is rarely used. I much prefer Dior Homme Intense.

Don't have unreasonable expectations. Frags get hyped on this forum, you really need to let your nose be the judge.
    Totally agree - first and foremost - let your nose be the judge!

Have blind bought on people`s recommendations and some have not met up to my expectations i guess.

Always test on yourself!

Owning both bottles of L'instant Extreme and Dior Homme Intense prevents me from getting sick of the cocoa note. Personally, I like DHI's top-middle stages better but love LE's heavenly amber drydown.

It`s nice, but it was a dust-collector on my shelf so I swapped it. It lacks something I can`t put my finger on..

Basenotes Institution

I bought my bottle of L'IDGE blind also, and I love it. Although I must admit that I wear Cologne du 68 by Guerlain more.

My mother is very hyper-sensitive to fragrances, so I rarely wear them around her and when I do I spray very lightly. When I was visiting her a couple of years ago I brought my decant of this, and when she smelled me she gave me a compliment. Surprised the hell out of me, since I don't think I've ever received a compliment on a fragrance from her.

Good stuff.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

There is something addicting in this scent which makes me reach for it unintentionally every morning, could be the tea note ( or maybe the anise ?) .

I love it from top to base .
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Masterpiece Mode ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

Your Amazon.com order of "Guerlain L'instant De Guerlain Extreme By Guerlain For Men. Eau De Parfum Spray 2.5-Ounce" has shipped!

Mine has shipped too, now I have to wait one more week...
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

i was really looking forward to having an alternative to Dior homme / Intense, but after blind buying 2 bottles, one of which i sold to my brother and he isnt sure either, this to me smells like a watery terrys chocolate orange

the question i have is how, though it is sweet, yet not the sweetest thing i have experienced, can a fragrance be so sickly without being stupidly oversweet, it has a strange projection, there is a weird bubble created with this fragrance. this may be a grower but still after 2-3 wears, it isnt happening....

i cannot believe the reactions to this, many experts, collectors with some very expensive bottles rate this so high, it just makes me wonder if those esoteric expensive brands that sit alongside guerlain Linstant in there collections, really do offer a higher experience, or if indeed they are just other Linstant Extremes in different bottles...

Amen is a much better fragrance than Linstant, it speaks to the subconscious, Linstant, maybe, just to the indicriminating tastebuds...

typo - indiscriminating!!

Quote Originally Posted by postthispostthat View Post
    i was really looking forward to having an alternative to Dior homme / Intense, but after blind buying 2 bottles, one of which i sold to my brother and he isnt sure either, this to me smells like a watery terrys chocolate orange

the question i have is how, though it is sweet, yet not the sweetest thing i have experienced, can a fragrance be so sickly without being stupidly oversweet, it has a strange projection, there is a weird bubble created with this fragrance. this may be a grower but still after 2-3 wears, it isnt happening....

i cannot believe the reactions to this, many experts, collectors with some very expensive bottles rate this so high, it just makes me wonder if those esoteric expensive brands that sit alongside guerlain Linstant in there collections, really do offer a higher experience, or if indeed they are just other Linstant Extremes in different bottles...

Amen is a much better fragrance than Linstant, it speaks to the subconscious, Linstant, maybe, just to the indicriminating tastebuds...
    The thing is just because a lot of others rate it highly does not mean you are going to agree with them that's why blind buying is a gamble. I feel the same way about Rose 31 and do not get what all the fuss is about as it's a dirty chemical mess on my skin.

But to each his own.

I understand that, but so many people cannot be wrong. surely, it just 'must' be a great fragrance. period. Why I dont like it is what I am curious about, to me it smells like the essence / condensation collected from the windows of the terrys chocolate orange sweatshop? Is this an experience issue, or can I not perceive quality the way others do....honestly, where is the complexity in this fragrance, is it really great, honestly, as a man do you want to smell like a terrys chocolate orange ???

with respect and admiration...

J.

I understand that, but so many people cannot be wrong. surely, it just 'must' be a great fragrance. period. Why I dont like it is what I am curious about, to me it smells like the essence / condensation collected from the windows of the terrys chocolate orange sweatshop? Is this an experience issue, or can I not perceive quality the way others do....honestly, where is the complexity in this fragrance, is it really great, honestly, as a man do you want to smell like a terrys chocolate orange ???

with respect and admiration...

J.
    I agree and disagree with you.
    I don't like L'Instant Extreme as it does smell like watered down chocolate to me too, it's like a mild unsweetened cocoa butter and to me feels very simplistic also.
    But I think to most people it is a very easy scent to like, and that's what makes it great I suppose, you're in the minority if you don't like it, but as others have said it includes everything, it is citrus, woody and gourmand, it technically is a pretty perfect men's fragrance. But blind buying a highly raved about fragrance is going to be risky really if you're expecting a masterpiece. I was the same the first time I tried Musc Ravageur, it was a huge dissapointment which I still feel is a dire, oily fragrance.
    Elixir des Merveilles on the other hand, that's a gleaming Terrys Chocolate Orange done very nicely.

ive no quarms about buying blind and being dissapointed, i was wholly prepared, forget that, thats not my point, or important to me, i just still think it is a very linea> ? fragrance, and cannot believe the reactions, it just smells bad, honestly, expert, moi ? or NOT, [and it is a big NOT], this smells creepily sweet, cheap, sickly, but I am learning........

it hasnt any sensuality, any nostalgia, no memories, no romatisism, no poetry, it is orangey chocolate, and to be honest, if i was to go one further, and sleight yet another company, it is cheap homogenised chocolate, like that of Terrys, this isnt Galaxy for sure, let alone, green and blacks, or whoever is the chocolatier of the moment....it is that cheap nasty chocolate....

i want imigary from my scent, i want transport to another place, and whilst that may sound way over the top, regardless, I know a fragrance can do magic, but the passion for Linstant is unjust..................bring me the head of guerlain!!!

[just kidding]

I tested this side by side with the original L'instant. For the first 20 minutes I thought "No, too chocolaty, I prefer the standard version but" an hour or two later I had changed my mind when this note faded and the next few hours it came over like a slightly richer version of the original. Best thing was that six hours later it still smelled great when the other had completely disappeared.
    Definately worth the extra cash for me, though with Dior Homme (which I think it has much in common with in terms of style and quality) I would go with the "non intense" version.

the pre reformulation intense is a lot stronger than the new one, they have a bottle of the pre reformulation at my local boots, but no intense, just a full tester version, they wouldnt sell it to me, i nearly stole it in fact, but sensibility got the better of me...,,,

the lipstick note in the dior homme sort of expemplifies [is that a word] what i mean in previous posts, it has a mysterious vibe, another dimension, which makes it special, which is lacking in linstant...the first time dior homme hit me, aprox 5-6 years ago when i stole a spray out of a bathroom at a party [thieving again , yes ive seen the clepto shrink thanks], i was blown away, i thought how could they create something like this, someone said it has a oedipus vibe - ie, freudian term relating to a mans fascination with his mother etc i think......dior homme is as appealing to me as a good pair of womens pins, almost, and there is a connection there, somewhere...

I just got LIdGPHE in the mail blind, but I'm going to sell it unopened. I ordered it over a month ago on a whim since it was available... and since then decided that despite the great reviews it probably isn't my style, and I just spent some cash on another frag. I'll try it some other time, but chocolate and patchouli aren't my favorite notes, and the descriptions of chocolate-orange-patch don't seem appealing anymore.

id try it , just so you know, and take a £5 loss or whatever it amounts to, on selling it unsealed, it would / should put your mind at rest, Dorje123, i notice you have yatagan, i just got a bottle very cheap, 125ml, not here yet, but what do you think of it , any good ?

they wouldnt sell it to me, i nearly stole it in fact, but sensibility got the better of me...
    lol. Any relation?:

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Spur...ail/story.html

pre reformulation 100ml of dior homme intense would have been worth the risk for a slapped wrist, but not so sure "So Exclusive" perfume worth £6.99 from Boots would have been...lol

id try it , just so you know, and take a £5 loss or whatever it amounts to, on selling it unsealed, it would / should put your mind at rest, Dorje123, i notice you have yatagan, i just got a bottle very cheap, 125ml, not here yet, but what do you think of it , any good ?
    Yeah, Yatagan is very good, I like it but don't find myself wearing it which is why I'm selling it. As cheap as it is it might be worth keeping, if only for occasional use. Not too long ago I had some bottles of very good designer frags that I liked but rarely used, Yatagan is among the last... I find myself going for the 5-6 frags I like the most and others rarely make it into my rotation anymore. The others that I have sold on I do not miss. Unfortunately, the ones I do use are all fairly expensive niche frags, which is another reason I think L'Instant Extreme would just sit on the shelf unused... My financial situation could also be better right now, so that's another reason to not to open the box.

i havent got cash to spend on fragrance really either, thats why i have been trying a lot of cheaper edts of late, azzaro pour homme has beaten most designer fragrances for me, and though i have yet to tread the depths of niche yet thoroughly, i figured i could find something good in the older names like caron etc...im watching a bottle of the third man also, i hope to win that one...

i like some chanels, i like amen , i know a lot of people hate it , but i had a bottle years ago when it first came out and its like a family thing, they all bought a bottle at the time and it has good memories each time i spray...

i tried creed Aventus yesterday in a store, and it infused my whole nose with a really beautiful rich smell, i may sell a load of my cheap scents off , towards a bottle....!!!

linstant is shambolic, you have to try just for the sheer shock value...!!

Been wearing it everyday since the first day I blind bought it over all my more expensive creeds and amouages...damn! -_-

the point being ??

I bought it and sold it since it wasn't my taste. You will easily find a buyers here on the message boards. While it is an excellent scent it just doesn't coincide with my personal taste. I usually go for the heavier gourmands and I tend to shy away from citrus scents. I know, I know, LIDGE is not a citrus based scent. Just the opening tends to linger on my skin past the usual 1-2 hour mark then drys down to a milk chocolatey type of smell on my skin. It is a good scent just not my style.

the pre reformulation intense is a lot stronger than the new one, they have a bottle of the pre reformulation at my local boots, but no intense, just a full tester version, they wouldnt sell it to me, i nearly stole it in fact, but sensibility got the better of me...,,,

the lipstick note in the dior homme sort of expemplifies [is that a word] what i mean in previous posts, it has a mysterious vibe, another dimension, which makes it special, which is lacking in linstant...the first time dior homme hit me, aprox 5-6 years ago when i stole a spray out of a bathroom at a party [thieving again , yes ive seen the clepto shrink thanks], i was blown away, i thought how could they create something like this, someone said it has a oedipus vibe - ie, freudian term relating to a mans fascination with his mother etc i think......dior homme is as appealing to me as a good pair of womens pins, almost, and there is a connection there, somewhere...
    I would like to have tried the earlier version. I get where you're coming from and look forward to reading your next post from a prison cell :-)

my brother who i have spent half hour on the phone talking about linstant has said he likes it, wants to keep it, i offered him his money back, since i may have oversold it to him prior to him trying, but he is adamant he wants to keep it..

i have just taken the bottle to the fiance who likes sweet simple things [present company excluded!!!], and figuring she would love it sprayed it onto her wrist, she was forking dog food into a bowl so i left her to that, nice, when she reappeared, having given it enough time to dry down i was expecting huge praise, she has just said it smells like christmas airwick mulled wine and cinnamon and christmas cinnamon cookie dough, which i thought meant she loved it, but she just said , its disghusting!!

last night we happened upon a youtbe video of a guy asking random females what was the best of 3 guerlains in a blind test type set up, and the girls were going mad for linstant, and it won everytime....

i thought she would love it, but even she hates it,

i wouldnt want my brother wearing this for the next year, im going to convince him to sell it back to me so i can flog it on ebay...!!

congrats, you wont regret this

i am 39, lived most of my life with 1 bottle at a time, but found basenotes and have begun to learn about fragrances etc, its costing me a lot and i havent even touched creed yet, regrettably i managed to demo one in john lewis recently and loved it, avanetus,

im not supposed to like amen according to basenoters, but i think its complex and great

and i should love Linstant, but think if it was music , it would be S club 7

I want AMM - FRITH - / SATIE - ENO - experimental, sublime,

I am right about Guerlain Linstant, its rubbish, it is not subjective, it just is....I wouldnt be surprised if we found out it was a joke on us, an ironic stab by guerlain at the gourmand popularity...

A difficult fragrance to dislike. Has mind boggling longevity though sillage is intimate at best.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

i am 39, lived most of my life with 1 bottle at a time, but found basenotes and have begun to learn about fragrances etc, its costing me a lot and i havent even touched creed yet, regrettably i managed to demo one in john lewis recently and loved it, avanetus,

im not supposed to like amen according to basenoters, but i think its complex and great

and i should love Linstant, but think if it was music , it would be S club 7

I want AMM - FRITH - / SATIE - ENO - experimental, sublime,

I am right about Guerlain Linstant, its rubbish, it is not subjective, it just is....I wouldnt be surprised if we found out it was a joke on us, an ironic stab by guerlain at the gourmand popularity...

How silly.

not silly im afraid..

Basenotes Member

I like LIDG better. goodluck

Blog Entries

Another old thread revived.

Just because I haven't seen it compared here. After the first 2 maybe 3 hours it smells pretty similar to the one gentlemen. So if you dont like that..... Of course this stuff is projects and lasts all day. So bang for your buck there if you like that smell its good for sure. Although to be honest I think the first hour or so its on it has kinda a old man church vibe which is off putting for me at least...

lol at post date. In for reviews of the blind buy!